Invitations for Inaugural Cruises

Maybe they put everyone's name in a hat, shake it up and pick the winners! LOL It's just shear luck of the draw everyone, no reason to get all upset about it. :D :) Have a safe and happy memorial weekend.

I have the feeling there was nothing arbitrary about it. We just don't know the criteria.

They reward their loyal passengers better than most other lines. Before you call me a cheer leader, I've cruised other lines and will continue to do so.

Nobody's going to change anyone's minds, so it looks like we're pretty much wasting our time.

I'm reminded of the old saying "Cut off your nose to spite your face".

Ok - before this thread gets closed, I feel the need to step in here. I was one of the people that you feel was undeserving of this trip. I am Gold with 2 RCCL cruises.

I do not pretend to know how they picked us. Royal Caribbean did the picking, not Cruise Critic. Also keep in mind that there were many travel agents on these Pre-Inaugurals. Some had never even cruised, let alone cruised with RCCL. There were also people that won the invitations as prizes from companies such as AAA and radio stations. I happened to have earned mine because RCCL liked something about the way I post.

I have always tried to be fair in my posting. Even when I had a bad experience on Princess, I reported it as it was and did not bash them... I may have done that in the privacy of my own home, but not on these boards. I have been a supporter of getting a larger ship on the West Coast. I have posted on here more than once that I never felt I would get onto a larger class of ship because DH doesn't like to fly. Let me tell you that RCCL was very wise to invite us. He knew what an honor it was to be invited and did not hesitate to make the 5+ hour flight each way from California AND loved the ship! This means that I can now book more cruises on RCCL instead! Very smart they are, indeed.

I did not take my invitation for granted. There are many that have been invited on more than one Pre-Inaugural. Perhaps you should be upset that you didn't get your invitation when others have been invited to more than one. But your disappointment would still be misdirected.

Bill & Gordon - you have both done a good job of trying to explain this. We appreciate that.

There will always be people that can't be happy for others. Fortunately, the people that we sailed with did not CARE what level we were. And for that I am grateful.

I am sorry that you didn't get invited... but I assure you, that even if they didn't invite us - you probably still wouldn't have had enough cruises under your belt to be invited to sail on Liberty. Our handful of cabins did not make the difference that you think it did and I think your hurt feelings are misdirected.

It is your choice not to sail on RCCL, and I don't begrudge you of that. But to make such a decision based on an invitation you did not get, and probably wouldn't have anyway (based on your current number of sailings) is short-sighted. I wish you many happy cruises on whatever line you so choose.

I think you are missing my point. People with one cruise were invited over people with more. It would be fair to start with the cruisers who had the most cruises and work their way down, not the arbitrary give away they did.

Where did you ever hear that life is fair? In a famous quote, JFK once stated: "Life isn't fair", though I think he was referring to things of more importance than an invitation to a two night pre-inaugural cruise.:rolleyes: RCI and any other organization doesn't have to justify their decisions to you or to me, unless we are stockholders and their decisions adversely affect their financial condition. We may never know what criteria were used, but I suspect that, as important as we repeat customers are to the success of the line, there are others who also play a significant role, whether or not they cruise on the line with any regularity. Someone made a business decision to invite such people as well and whether you or I understand or agree with that decision is largely irrelevant. It was their decision to make, and that is what they did. You have already indicated what your recourse will be and you are certainly free to exercise that option. Perhaps you will find that another line offers you a better cruise experience. Perhaps not. I continue to cruise on RCI (although I have and will continue to cruise on other lines when the occasion arises), not because I got an invitation to the Liberty or that they offer perks to repeat cruisers, but because the overall cruise experience that RCI offers satisfies me. If it didn't, a free cruise or a few perks wouldn't be sufficient to keep my business.

You aren't being serious, are you?

Sure, I'm serious.

Cruisinfool posted, "I too had the honors of being invited through Cruise Critic."

I'm curious, because s/he has less than 1,000 posts.

So what criterion was used for the Cruise Critic invitations?

This is a parallel question to those who are questioning why C&A members with more cruises were passed over for those with less.

I think these are fair questions.

Sure, I'm serious.

Cruisinfool posted, "I too had the honors of being invited through Cruise Critic."

As stated by many in this thread. We do not know what the criteria was. Royal Caribbean did the picking. They also picked some from other sites, such as TripAdvisor.

When you throw a party - you get to pick your guests. And this what Royal Caribbean did.

Sure, I'm serious.

This is a parallel question to those who are questioning why C&A members with more cruises were passed over for those with less.

I think these are fair questions.

I agree. The questions are fair.

But there is no full and fair disclosure policy that I know of at this site which would cover their decisions. I would assume that Laura has the right to invite whoever she wants for whatever reason - no explanation required. For all we know, she could have close personal friends who are members here and she would have every right to select them, too.

It was your reference to the "full and fair disclosure" that I questioned the seriousness of. That would be her personal decision. It just had a sort of legal sounding ring to it and I don't believe there is any legal obligation to disclose that.

People might be curious. But they shouldn't have hurt feelings.

I agree. The questions are fair.

But there is no full and fair disclosure policy that I know of at this site which would cover their decisions. I would assume that Laura has the right to invite whoever she wants for whatever reason - no explanation required. For all we know, she could have close personal friends who are members here and she would have every right to select them, too.

It was your reference to the "full and fair disclosure" that I questioned the seriousness of. That would be her personal decision. It just had a sort of legal sounding ring to it and I don't believe there is any legal obligation to disclose that.

People might be curious. But they shouldn't have hurt feelings.

Let's try this one more time. RCI did the inviting and NOT CC or Laura. She posted this on previous thread somewhere on this board. She stated that she was just the messenger.

To All,

I wasn't trying to stir up any trouble with my question. I wasn't implying that someone was more entitled than any other person in being selected. It really WAS just an innocent question on my part. I do not feel slighted in any way shape or form by the process, whatever that may be. I am very excited for my fellow CC'ers/cruisers that were chosen and got to enjoy their good fortunes. Thanks for all the feedback. Everyone have a wonderful holiday weekend and be safe.

To All,

I wasn't trying to stir up any trouble with my question. I wasn't implying that someone was more entitled than any other person in being selected. It really WAS just an innocent question on my part. I do not feel slighted in any way shape or form by the process, whatever that may be. I am very excited for my fellow CC'ers/cruisers that were chosen and got to enjoy their good fortunes. Thanks for all the feedback. Everyone have a wonderful holiday weekend and be safe.

Anne don't worry about it. Everything is cool!!!!!:) I think that most here get it. Have a great weekend yourself.

Gina, I have the utmost respect for you, but I don’t think its fair to say that no one’s feelings should be hurt. Feelings are a very personal thing… I don’t discount anyone’s feelings. The thing is.... you need to make a decision about how you are going to deal with those feelings.

I’ll admit… my feelings were initially hurt as well. :o When I read that the criteria was CCrs “That post favorably and are helpful to others…” I had a moment where I thought, “Hey, don’t I do that?”

Then I got a grip and realized that there are a very large number of posters on this board who do the same thing. Aren’t we all lucky to participate on a board where that is the case. :) It would be extremely difficult to pick out 38 members from this group.

I really like everyone that RCCL chose to go... they are great representatives of our group and I am happy for all of them.

You know guys… if we don’t stop bickering about this, none of us will be invited anywhere anymore! ;)

Let's try this one more time. RCI did the inviting and NOT CC or Laura. She posted this on previous thread somewhere on this board. She stated that she was just the messenger.

I didn't know she said that. I thought people were just saying it in which case I wouldn't have believed it. If she said it, I have no reason to not believe it. Thank you for clearing that up.

I still don't think there is any legal obligation to disclose anything though. It's not like it was a sweepstakes.

Gina, I have the utmost respect for you, but I don’t think its fair to say that no one’s feelings should be hurt. Feelings are a very personal thing… I don’t discount anyone’s feelings. The thing is.... you need to make a decision about how you are going to deal with those feelings.

I’ll admit… my feelings were initially hurt as well. :o When I read that the criteria was CCrs “That post favorably and are helpful to others…” I had a moment where I thought, “Hey, don’t I do that?”

Then I got a grip and realized that there are a very large number of posters on this board who do the same thing. Aren’t we all lucky to participate on a board where that is the case. It would be extremely difficult to pick out 38 members from this group.

I really like everyone that RCCL chose to go... they are great representatives of our group and I am happy for all of them.

You know guys… if we don’t stop bickering about this, none of us will be invited anywhere anymore! ;)

I didn't mean to sound like I was discounting your feelings. I understand that they are hurt and your feelings are valid. I just don't think they should be hurt. I've had hurt feelings before when they shouldn't have been hurt either. But they were.

I mean really, I didn't get asked either. :( And I could've popped right on over to the cruise port if they had called me 3 hours before departure. OH...that's right. I DID! And I got a lot of pictures that no one on the ship got...unless they got them from me. :D It was fun chasing the ship down the channel as we beat it to South Beach.

I'm glad you are coming to terms with your feelings about this. There will be other cruises, other times and even free booze - in the concierge lounge. :)

All of us that feel that we are loyal supporters to RCCl............as I do, and understanding that being a D+ member has certain priveliges....such as an invite to a pre inagrial........held certain dreams.........and fantasy's, and I must admit that I was disappointed for about 24 hours before I understood..........it was not my time to enjoy those fruits of being a diamond plus member.

RCCl does so much for my wife and me............everytime we are aboard one of their ships,they make us feel special............that we felt that there was a reason that we were not invited.........and whatever it was..........it's OK.

Then there are 40 of us that just came off of the Monarch of the Seas today..............that have to be so stoked........coming off of a special private dinner with the captain...........that never does dinners...and the senior officers...........the best trip ever on the Monarch!!!:) :D

There were 10 members of our group that were invited to the pre inaugural, and had a wonderful experience.........but they were outnumbered 4 to 1 by TA's. And that is one thing that keeps RCCL afloat, so they are going to give to the people that give them the best revenue.......

I don't feel cheated or dissapointed that I could not make what I hear was nothing but quite a few drunk TA's. And yes........it sounds like everyone had a good time. The TA's are RCCL's biggest club!!

Rick

There were 10 members of our group that were invited to the pre inaugural, and had a wonderful experience.........but they were outnumbered 4 to 1 by TA's. And that is one thing that keeps RCCL afloat, so they are going to give to the people that give them the best revenue.......

I don't feel cheated or dissapointed that I could not make what I hear was nothing but quite a few drunk TA's. And yes........it sounds like everyone had a good time. The TA's are RCCL's biggest club!!

Rick

I don't feel cheated we could not make this either after being invited.....but I do understand where cruisePRN is coming from. She is reacting emotionally (which is ok) and others are purely taking the business side (which is ok) of decisions made by RC.........sometimes we need to take a step back and really try and figure out where people are coming from...........

RC made decisions

I believe there was a critieria

Some got their feelings hurt

I would not quit sailing RC because of business decisions they made based on criteria nobody understands or knows what it is...........but I do understand how somebody with a closet full of cruises wasn't invited might feel a bit blue........

Emotion vs Business...........I really can see both sides..........:cool:

I don't feel cheated we could not make this either after being invited.....but I do understand where cruisePRN is coming from. She is reacting emotionally (which is ok) and others are purely taking the business side (which is ok) of decisions made by RC.........sometimes we need to take a step back and really try and figure out where people are coming from...........

RC made decisions

I believe there was a critieria

Some got their feelings hurt

I would not quit sailing RC because of business decisions they made based on criteria nobody understands or knows what it is...........but I do understand how somebody with a closet full of cruises wasn't invited might feel a bit blue........

Emotion vs Business...........I really can see both sides..........:cool:

Well put - I agree!

Is this why people care so much about posting counts? I always see somone saying, "They just want to get their post up?" I've never understood why a high post count matters? I post alot because I'm addicted. I talk alot at home so my posting habits are in keeping with my personality. LOL

My .02 on the matter at hand is similar to what was said earlier in terms of a host inviting guests. RCCL gets to do what they want. They may have a criteria that they go by, they may alter it? If they say that things are a certain way, it should be done that way.

I can dissagree that I can't take an iron on board, but I still have to follow the rules. Unless someone can tell where this is printed, why would someone think they are entiled to this invitation?

Ever plan a wedding? When we did our daughters wedding, the cut off list was 250 period! They came to us with over 350. We gave her a budget and she had to stay within it. Everyone can't go! Cousin Robin was family but DD didn't even know her! Contrastingly, I had no clue who the boy accross the street was that she insisted on having??? Maybe a poor analogy, but I just think that some people are quite childish about this whole thing. Yes, you start with family when you invite, but then you look at the new friends as well. :cool:

When we grow up most of us realize the world owes us nothing.

Ever plan a wedding? When we did our daughters wedding, the cut off list was 250 period! They came to us with over 350. We gave her a budget and she had to stay within it. Everyone can't go! Cousin Robin was family but DD didn't even know her! Contrastingly, I had no clue who the boy accross the street was that she insisted on having??? Maybe a poor analogy, but I just think that some people are quite childish about this whole thing. Yes, you start with family when you invite, but then you look at the new friends as well. :cool:

When we grow up most of us realize the world owes us nothing.

Briefly, I think I may have solved this problem with one of my children - none have gotten married yet, so we'll see - I told her there will be a budget when she gets married. She can do with it what she wants. She asked if she can elope and keep the money to use towards a house. Yippee! That's my girl. :D

Considering there were only 38 invited from Cruise Critic and some of us are D+, it really didn't make much of an impact on the number of other people invited.

It was my understanding there were 75 invited through CC by RCI. Some went on the May 4th Bayonne departure, the majority went on May 14th Miami departure, some just couldn't make it, there were perhaps a few who didn't respond.

I had no idea why I was chosen, we aren't Diamond members and we sail other cruise lines than RCI. From what was told to me by other CC members is that we were hand-picked by RCI because of our participation and helpfulness on CC. We were not the only online cruise board that had invited guests, there were others. But, like someone else stated, it was RCI's party and they get to invite whom they want to invite.

I don't think it's fair to bring LauraS or CC into the debate, they were only the messengers who emailed us about the invite, RCI did the rest. CC did not just give out our email addresses without our permission, they asked us first. Post count had absolutely nothing to do with the invite, nor did the amount of cruises a person had taken with RCI. It was all up to RCI and most of us have no idea what their criteria was.

We met and spoke with others who were invited because of their relationship with RCI who were not on message boards or travel agents. We even met some lovely people at breakfast who were personal friends of someone at RCI (position not disclosed), they didn't get the invite until Friday night prior and only then because there was a cancellation.

I'd say, though, the vast majority seemed to be travel agents.

It was lovely and we feel very fortunate to have been invited. Thank you, RCI, we're ever so grateful and you Liberty is a lovely ship :)

Is this why people care so much about posting counts? I always see somone saying, "They just want to get their post up?" I've never understood why a high post count matters? I post alot because I'm addicted. I talk alot at home so my posting habits are in keeping with my personality. LOL

Post count had nothing to do with it..some had much lower and got invites..........and for the record,I dont care about post count either.......I'm like you......Im a talker and it reflects thru all the posting Id on here..........I have alot of friends on here and I "talk" to them every day.......

I agree with the others.........I was and still am very grateful to have gotten an invite.......It was wise on RCCL's part.........I had no intention of ever booking a FR class ship(TOO BIG),but after being on it,didnt take long to add it to my upcoming cruises..:)

a

Post count had nothing to do with it..some had much lower and got invites..........and for the record,I dont care about post count either.......I'm like you......Im a talker and it reflects thru all the posting Id on here..........I have alot of friends on here and I "talk" to them every day.......

I agree with the others.........I was and still am very grateful to have gotten an invite.......It was wise on RCCL's part.........I had no intention of ever booking a FR class ship(TOO BIG),but after being on it,didnt take long to add it to my upcoming cruises..:)

Thanks for clearing that up! I did wonder?

Gina your daughter would be smart to take the money and run! ;) All and all I must say we enjoyed her wedding. Off topic a bit, the best part about her wedding was it was held on the waterfront in Newport RI. Our boat is named after her called "Nequila Sunrise". She arrived with her wedding party by the boat, and my brother did an awesome job docking at sort of a high speed! (He's a hot shot) All the yachts were blowing their horns and it was quite a sight! We have great video of it. <Have a tear thinking about it> :o

this is off topic in a way?

why does it matter to some how many posts they have- i don't understand - do you get a pin for being 5000 or 10 000 etc....? does cc send you a certificate saying congrats for reaching xxxxx # of posts?

thanks for any input- as i really have no idea about this :)

Because my feelings were indeed hurt I didn't say I won't sail with them. I have two cruises booked on RCL. I also have 2 cruises with other lines. Of course RCL can invite however they want but it doesn't change my feelings. I don't have any negative opinion of the people who were invited, they were fortunate and I don't hold anything against anybody. It did downgrade my opinion of RCL though. :DI still believe RCL erred by giving away some inagural cruises to people who were not TA"s and were not crown and anchor members.

If becoming a D or D+ is so unimportant why do we see so MANY posts about people who about to become diamond members claiming whaHoo next cruise puts me at D. How many posts boast of taking a JR. Suite just to get 2 credits? RCL made a tier system of rewards not me:D

I hope this post doesn't go poof. I have read nothing of a persoanl attack so far and hope it stays that way. We have different opinions. These boards should be available to exchange ideas and feelings in a posative way as well as exchanging advise. It seems posts that do not favorable portray the cruise line have a short shelf life.

Archived