Princess Fine Art Auctions...Buyer Beware!

karen78739

The issue wasn't the price, but what was shown on board vs. what arrived at my friend's home -- didn't match. Clearly told, the item shown on board was no longer available and "substitute" was shipped. Evidently, you don't get what is shown on board -- for display purposes only.

Lesson learned: should have taken a photo of it while on board.

Lesson learned: should have been told that if what was shown on board

is not available at time of shipment, "substitute" will be

sent

MARAPRINCE

I agree. What auction house was it though - Park West (every other cruise line) or Princess?

• 1 year later...
Princess Fine Art Auctions...Buyer Beware!

If you're planning to attend an art auction on one of the Princess cruise ships, I'd like to warn you of the pit-falls of buying their art based on my recent experience.

My husband and I had purchased several works of art on previous cruises and had been impressed by both the promises of the auctioneers and the follow-up by Princess Fine Art. We'd spent about $80,000 total and, as promised, had been allowed to return one piece for a full refund and another to be reframed. In another case, Princess asked us to return a Picasso etching because they were no longer sure of its authenticity. In that case, they gave us an additional 15% because our money had been tied up in it for almost two years. Long story short, our previous experiences had been good, so we didn't hesitate to spend more money when we took a cruise on the Star Princess in the fall of 2006.

During our cruise in the fall, we purchased (or rather attempted to purchase): 1) an Alexandra Nechita painting, which we selected from a photograph because the painting was on another ship, 2) an Alexandra Nechita sculpture at an auction on the ship, and 3) a Roxy lithograph that was not on the ship but which we'd seen before. Here's how each of those purchases turned out...

1) Alexandra Nechita painting, $42,000 plus buyer's premium of $4200.

When we received the painting and saw it in person, we decided that we did not want it, partly because the colors were not as vibrant as we expected and partly because we decided we wanted something larger (which we WOULD have bought on a future Princess cruise). Although we'd been told we had 90 days to return the painting for a full refund, I received a message from Princess on January 15th saying that they would NOT refund the $4200 buyer's premium. Fortunately for us, their accounting department screwed up and I had already received a check for the full amount a couple of days prior to their message.

2) Alexandra Nechita sculpture, $13,500 plus buyer's premium of $1350. We were led to believe we were buying the sculpture on the ship, as they supposedly had three in their inventory; however, six weeks later when we still hadn't received it, I inquired as to where it was and found out that they were waiting on additional sculptures from the artist and that it would be approximately SIX MONTHS before we would receive it. Initially I was told that our buyer's premium would be forfeited if we cancelled the order, but after I pointed out that selling one piece of fine and delivering another constitutes fraud, I did receive a message that the full amount would be returned. I finally received a check on February 23rd, approximately six weeks after I asked for a refund and over four months after we had paid for the sculpture in full.

3) Roxy lithograph, approximately $200. This was another piece I had to inquire about after six weeks, only to find out they had no record of the purchase. After I provided proof, they did send it promptly; however, the frame was damaged and the glass scratched. They offered to reframe it, so I returned it, and it was then sent back in another frame that was also damaged, but we decided to just live with it.

While I still believe you can SOMETIMES get good prices on the artwork from Princess, you really have to do your research. For example, shortly before our fall cruise we had been to a Nechita show at a local gallery, and so we knew the prices on the less expensive works (like the lithos) were a good deal, but the paintings were selling right at the same price. The other advice I'd give is: 1) Don't buy anything unless you're absolutely sure you want to keep it forever or are willing to sell it through a third party, 2) Don't believe anything the auctioneers tell you...there's a reason it's not in writing, and 3) Don't believe that Princess Fine Art values you as a customer, no matter how much you spend.

Doesn't sound that bad to me...You got your money back(Park West different story-believe me!) and an additional 15%!!! I first started buying art with PW and had an awful experience that put me off buying art for years on a cruise. I then went to a Princess auction and it was the complete opposite of PW. Unlike PW, Princess is run by the cruise line.You said it wasn't in writing however, I have a copy of the terms and conditions (from 2007)that they set out and it's there in print regarding returns and forfeiture of BP. We cruise 3-4 times a year now(nearly all with Princess) and have seen a noticeable change in the art presentations and staff that conduct them. We have been to a couple of auctions in the past where we got up and left the room due to pushy art directors that provided no information whatsoever on the art, or the artist. The past 2 years(7 cruises) we have seen an improvement in quality of staff and presentations. We sat next to a couple on a "Connoisseur Cruise" in Asia 3 years ago that purchased $270,000 worth of art in 16 days. They said that they had done the research on the art while they were onboard and felt comfortable with spending that much. It seems that Princess is being more diligent with what is being said at these events by the staff. I was told that it is recorded for quality control due to the bad experiences in the past.They now conduct art history lectures and we have also attended lectures on Dali and Picasso and the printmaking process that involved no selling whatsoever, how refreshing! We have expanded our art knowledge and collection through Princess with 14 pieces to date and 3 damaged frames that were all taken care of- even if 1 did take 3 months!

My advise to people is buy what you like and do your research first!

AZ,

Love the cheap Princess champers or whatever it is they serve with or without OJ. Don't forget to get up there early near the front so you can get the answers to the trivia questions and win "free" artwork.

Everyone,

Some people have problems others none.

I purchased a beautiful large Maturos in the Explorer's Lounge on the Coral last year which is gorgeous and an original watercolour by Patrice (in the same style as Yitzak Tarkay).

In addition I have purchased two Tarkay seriolithographs while with RCCL through Park West and now get notified of auctions in Calgary and Edmonton.

Absolutely no problems as long as you know what you're looking for and like what you buy.

Ciao for now!!!

Captain Ron--did you mean Martiros? If so, you're good. If not, you got scammed. Enjoy your artwork. We love our Howard Behrens purchases but have run out of wall space and can't purchase any more of his fine work.

We have bought two items om Princess, both by Don Roth. If you love cats you will love them. Most people probably thing they are junk. They have both gone up in value since we bought. We have also won some lithos. Those are still in the tubes and I doubt they will ever be worth anything but heck it only cost us $20 for the shipping and I have used one as a gift. They loved it.

We always go and enjoy it. Not pool lovers and what else do you do on sea days?

Why would anyone spend that money on those psuedo art sales:eek: Origional picassos etc. complete rubbish. Most people realise it's hype with the frame being worth more than the picture...they are PRINTS. Buy it if you like it for the wall but they are of no value.

Why would anyone spend that money on those psuedo art sales:eek: Origional picassos etc. complete rubbish. Most people realise it's hype with the frame being worth more than the picture...they are PRINTS. Buy it if you like it for the wall but they are of no value.

Not all of the art work for sale is limited edition prints - we have seen several originals sold at auction on Princess ships that were a very good price when compared to similar items by the artists at their land galleries. We enjoy both the originals as well as the artist hand embellished limited edition prints that we've bought on our cruises. As other posters have said, the best reason to buy artwork anywhere is because you like it. If it happens to go up in price, that's even better, but there are very few people I know that purchase on board as an investment.

Now we have been on cruises where they have had a very large selection of original artwork on board - usually Connoisseur Cruises. We've been fortunate in meeting 7 artists on Princess cruises and have enjoyed their shows and lectures very much.

And to the poster that mentioned the Martiros, congratulations! I wish that I had picked up one when we first started cruising. Price was definitely more attractive back then.

It is my firm belief that, unless thing have changed in the past twelve months that Princess no longer has art auctions.

john

Please see http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/activities/art_auctions/index.html

in which Princess advertises the art auctions onboard ship.

Some other cruise lines have been reported to have curtailed art auctions, however Princess' art department is an in-house enterprise which still continues.

I know for a fact all my cruises with Princess have had art auctions, including one last December.

We too have purchased several pieces thru Princess. Some have come damaged and had to be replaced, however most have come ready to hang. We met Martiros last year on our Baltic cruise and have purchased a couple of Godard pieces with him signing them there in front of us.

Realistically I believe that for the most part we saved a little $ but certainly not enough to re-sell any of the art for a profit. We like others bought because we liked the art and continue to appreciate it every time we see it in the house.

If you're interested in the art auctions you might consider reading "cruise confidential 2" the (fictionalized, I'm sure) account of the carnival resturant staffer turned cruise ship art dealer who wrote "cruise confidential." Both are good, fun reads. The second almost had me considering buying art on the ship... almost.

Princess has a multipage terms and conditions sheet at every art auction I've attended. I believe all the items the OP listed were covered in detail. When buying anything in the $80k range I'd be pretty careful to read the "contract". Things like limited-editions not necessarily being the one that was presented at the auction, etc are all covered in depth.

Archived