Princess Fine Art Auctions...Buyer Beware!

karen78739

Whether on the sea or on land, buying is the same process. The more you know and the more trust you have in the seller, the better off you'll be. I've bought art on board a couple of times and have been pleased with my purchases and their value. My husband is a sculptor so we have spent lots of time looking at art and building our collection. So far the cruiselines have dealt with us fairly but there are few true bargains to be had at sea. The same can be said of the jewelry shops on the ship and on the islands . . . still I'm happy with what I bought.

Does Princess still sell Michael Godard? I've heard he has taken cruises and sold art and signed on board. He is easy to research for good deals if you see any and they are very popular. Wine and Martini giclee always hit the spot!

We have purchased little stuff like cells and Disney type stuff for gifts. Not much for Peter Max.

Michael Godard was on the Crown Princess a few weeks ago. On the Norwegian Fiord cruise that I was on. What he produces is chachkas in my opinion. It must be popular to people who don't know better. He has a great scam going claiming to be an artist.

• 2 weeks later...

While I still believe you can SOMETIMES get good prices on the artwork from Princess, you really have to do your research.

Thank you for sharing. DW and I have often watched to see it there was something we wanted to purchase and could afford. We always wondered about the "deal" we would be getting. Thank you again for your advice.

• 6 months later...

Absolutely no problems as long as you know what you're looking for and like what you buy.

Ciao for now!!!

I've been reading some of the posts and you siad it best, They all need to take time to know what a poster is- explaining the rockwell at $50 VS $4200. the more you know the better decisions you'll make so before your next auction pick up an art book or go to a class so you'll know what a Lithograph, serigraph, etching, woodcut, mix-media and so forth, cause you can get bargains from those auctions if you know your stuff, I have an Agam, tarkay, Max from Park West and when you go to the artist website then you'll realise the bargains not from E-bay. again everyone buy what you like and like what you buy

I have enjoyed reading this resurrected thread. While DH and I have never been big spenders at art auctions, we have bought several pieces over the years and continue to enjoy them. We have noticed, however, that the offerings lately have not been as much to our liking as in past years and we are not as tempted to add to our collection. The auctions are a fun way to pass the time on bad weather sea days! We are cruising again in May and will no doubt spend some time at an auction session.

I just can't understand why people buy art on a cruise ship. Any educated art collector knows they can do better on land without the hassle. I don't even go for the free champagne because it has to be the cheapest swill available; real headache stuff.

I just can't understand why people buy art on a cruise ship. Any educated art collector knows they can do better on land without the hassle. I don't even go for the free champagne because it has to be the cheapest swill available; real headache stuff.

There are several reasons

- Most people buy art because they like it (the best reason to buy)

- some people buy because they are decorating

- The prices are less than in the artist's galleries onshore

- Some people buy as a memory of their great cruise

- some people just get caught up in the spirit of the entertainment and buy to be part of the experience

- some people think the art will appreciate in value (may or may not be true)

- some can't resist the sales pitch, even though they should

Call me an uneducated educated art collector - I've looked in 5 different states and haven't found those places where one can do better.

.....I could buy the same picture in poster form for $50 instead of the $4200 I paid for it.....

You can get a postcard of the Mona Lisa for less than a Euro... the original is a little more valuable.

It's why tickets for Tina Turner's recent tour were $75 and upwards, yet you can hear her songs at a Karaoke bar for free.

I don't understand why you would not expect a limited edition to cost more than a poster.....

:confused:

Do you really need a thread to figure out that buying jewels and art on a cruise ship probably is not a good idea. I have family members with a MFA and a jeweler. The jeweler has people come in from time to time with stones they both on one of these trips only to find out they are worth little or nothing.

If it is too good to be true, it probably is.

Don't single out Princess...all the cruise lines have art auctions. No matter what the line, all the "deals" are overhyped to get passengers to buy.

If you are lucky enough to "like" what you buy and get what you thought you were buying, good for you. Most are not so lucky and realize that once they see what arrives after the voyage.

Save your money and shop around at reputable art galleries and take time to check out prospective purchases. You have to live with your purchase and see it in the surroundings where it will be placed. A cruise ship auction where you don't have the time to really think it through isn't the proper way to buy art IMO.

MARAPRINCE

Oceania Cruise Lines recently announced that there would be no more "art auctions" on their ships - apparently having listened to their customers who did not want them.

Oceania does not has photographers aboard either, for the same reason.

Oceania Cruise Lines recently announced that there would be no more "art auctions" on their ships - apparently having listened to their customers who did not want them.

Oceania does not has photographers aboard either, for the same reason.

Smart more -- less passenger complaints.

MARAPRINCE

We have bought art on almost all our cruises we have ever taken with Princess. We have also bought jewelry on the islands as well.

In all cases we have been very pleased with our purchases and in all cases we have found the same on land at significantly higher prices.

But we are not buying the art to turn around and sell it for a profit once we are back. We simply like the artists, like the individual pieces and love seeing them on our walls.

If we spent less for the piece then we got a great deal. We think of it as buying on sale or minus the retailer. Think of it like buying wholesale. If you know what you are buying then you know if the price is right and you know a deal when you see it.

In terms of jewelry, my wife always ends up buy something on an island, usually St. Maartin or St. Thomas. We always get it appraised immediately upon returning home and a piece has never been appraised for less then double what we spent. Some as many as 8 times higher.

Again, we aren't buying the jewelry because we are turning around and selling it on land, she likes the piece so she purchases it. If its lost or stolen we now have an accurate appraisal reflecting replacement costs.

Art and jewelry are both valuable only in the eye of the beholder. Its far to simple to state that its bad to buy art of cruise or its good. Its what works for the individual. If art auctions are not your thing then there are many other things to do on board, but that does not mean its a bad activity. Personally we like the Princess Art auction model.

Paul

We have bought art on almost all our cruises we have ever taken with Princess. We have also bought jewelry on the islands as well.

In all cases we have been very pleased with our purchases and in all cases we have found the same on land at significantly higher prices.

But we are not buying the art to turn around and sell it for a profit once we are back. We simply like the artists, like the individual pieces and love seeing them on our walls.

If we spent less for the piece then we got a great deal. We think of it as buying on sale or minus the retailer. Think of it like buying wholesale. If you know what you are buying then you know if the price is right and you know a deal when you see it.

In terms of jewelry, my wife always ends up buy something on an island, usually St. Maartin or St. Thomas. We always get it appraised immediately upon returning home and a piece has never been appraised for less then double what we spent. Some as many as 8 times higher.

Again, we aren't buying the jewelry because we are turning around and selling it on land, she likes the piece so she purchases it. If its lost or stolen we now have an accurate appraisal reflecting replacement costs.

Art and jewelry are both valuable only in the eye of the beholder. Its far to simple to state that its bad to buy art of cruise or its good. Its what works for the individual. If art auctions are not your thing then there are many other things to do on board, but that does not mean its a bad activity. Personally we like the Princess Art auction model.

Paul

Nicely put.

Paul

While you have been satisfied with your purchases, others have not.

One of my cabin mates was very dissatisfied when her choice arrived. It was nowhere near what had been shown on board. They "didn't have her original choice" available and substituted what "they felt" what close. Problem was, it wasn't. Long correspondence ensued and it would have been more costly to return it. Since the "original" purchase wasn't available, she kept it and it hangs in the living room as a very expensive reminder ... no more art auction purchases!

Jewelry purchased ashore was not mentioned by the OP who was speaking about jewelry purchased in the ship stores. People do want to be assured that what they thought they purchased is really what they purchased. That is why they will seek out an appraisal...not necessarily to sell the item. If you want to add the purchase to your insurance policy, an appraisal will be required to establish its value.

MARAPRINCE

Reading thru your post I find the thread title a little deceptive. They definately lost money trying to satisfy you and probably would had reframed your 3rd item a third time had you enquired. It was probably that close to being a thread of praise. Why the alarming thread title?

I bought a couple of pieces on the Radiance of the Seas a few years ago. It was a Park West Gallery auction.

I bought two pieces from unknown artists for about 200 bucks, and a Mouly for slightly a few more.

I bought the pieces because I liked the art. I would NEVER buy an expensive piece of art on a cruise ship. If I'm going to spend thousands on a piece, you are better off going to a art dealer on shore.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with buying an inexpensive litho on a cruise. Especially if you have never bought art before. Just don't get hooked in the auction. IT can actually be fun. You may learn something too.

There are several reasons

- Most people buy art because they like it (the best reason to buy)

- some people buy because they are decorating

- The prices are less than in the artist's galleries onshore

- Some people buy as a memory of their great cruise

- some people just get caught up in the spirit of the entertainment and buy to be part of the experience

- some people think the art will appreciate in value (may or may not be true)

- some can't resist the sales pitch, even though they should

Call me an uneducated educated art collector - I've looked in 5 different states and haven't found those places where one can do better.

Well said!

My wife and I have bought some pieces on board Princess ships that we liked and have used as decorations in our home when we've been redecorating some of our rooms. I'm typing this reply looking at a couple of Godards in our Bonus room that we purchased last year - we enjoyed their humor then and still enjoy them. We haven't purchased originals, but do have limited editions that the artists have gone back over with hand embellishment.

We aren't buying to make a profit - we purchase items that we enjoy. We have also done some comparison pricing on shore and found the Princess prices very competitive with land-based galleries - especially when we've included the price for the framing.

If we're on a cruise and don't like the offerings, we don't buy. That's the same policy we have going into land-based galleries.

We've also been on two of Princess' Art Connoisseur cruises (we didn't know about either one until just before we were sailing) and have met people that do purchase regularly on board. Some people do go just to have the opportunity to see several of the artists originals or to purchase a commissioned piece. While they were in a different category of collector (easily spending over $100K during the cruise), many also still claimed to purchase art for the reason that they liked it.

While you have been satisfied with your purchases, others have not.

One of my cabin mates was very dissatisfied when her choice arrived. It was nowhere near what had been shown on board. They "didn't have her original choice" available and substituted what "they felt" what close. Problem was, it wasn't. Long correspondence ensued and it would have been more costly to return it. Since the "original" purchase wasn't available, she kept it and it hangs in the living room as a very expensive reminder ... no more art auction purchases!

Jewelry purchased ashore was not mentioned by the OP who was speaking about jewelry purchased in the ship stores. People do want to be assured that what they thought they purchased is really what they purchased. That is why they will seek out an appraisal...not necessarily to sell the item. If you want to add the purchase to your insurance policy, an appraisal will be required to establish its value.

MARAPRINCE

Was the art from Park West or Princess?

Since the Princess store will match the price of any equivalent item found ashore and since prices ashore seem to be such a good deal it follows that the onboard store is also a good deal - which is great!

Was the art from Park West or Princess?

Since the Princess store will match the price of any equivalent item found ashore and since prices ashore seem to be such a good deal it follows that the onboard store is also a good deal - which is great!

The issue wasn't the price, but what was shown on board vs. what arrived at my friend's home -- didn't match. Clearly told, the item shown on board was no longer available and "substitute" was shipped. Evidently, you don't get what is shown on board -- for display purposes only.

Lesson learned: should have taken a photo of it while on board.

Lesson learned: should have been told that if what was shown on board

is not available at time of shipment, "substitute" will be

sent

MARAPRINCE

Archived