The "P" (Passport) Question!

DH hasn't gotten his or applied. We are approximately 10.5 weeks until we say.. with current processing times 10-12 weeks... should I expedite?

what has everyone's experience been?

I've read they are taking up to 3 months.

Are you cruising somewhere where you NEED the passport (flying to Canada or anything?) If you NEED it this trip, you will HAVE to expedite it.) If you could travel without it this trip, then maybe not.

Whatever you do, order another copy of DH's birth certificate NOW so that you are not freaking out at the last minute when the passport doesn't show up.

Maggie

I would either expedite or wait until you get back, passports are not required yet unless you are leaving from Europe or other non-us ports.You can still use just your birth certificate. There was a post yesterday where someone just applied and they were told the wait time is now a full 3 months.

i dont think we "NEED" the passport.. flying to FL and going to Key West, Cozumel, Bahamas.. just thought it would be "convenient" to have it...

my parents are going with us........ i advised them NOT to get them.. because they might not use them enough..

the DH and I, on the other hand........ intend on traveling more..

so, i guess i wont pay to expedite?

i dont think we "NEED" the passport.. flying to FL and going to Key West, Cozumel, Bahamas.. just thought it would be "convenient" to have it...

my parents are going with us........ i advised them NOT to get them.. because they might not use them enough..

My daughter got hers the same day she applied. She had to go to one of the passport offices in Philadelphia and she had it within 2 1/2 hours. It helped that she had to travel within 2 weeks though. Take all your identification and travel information with you when you go.

My daughter got hers the same day she applied. She had to go to one of the passport offices in Philadelphia and she had it within 2 1/2 hours. It helped that she had to travel within 2 weeks though. Take all your identification and travel information with you when you go.

She was only able to get it same day because she was traveling within 2 weeks. They will no longer let you make an appointment and get one same day if it isn't because of travel within the next two weeks.

DH hasn't gotten his or applied. We are approximately 10.5 weeks until we say.. with current processing times 10-12 weeks... should I expedite?

what has everyone's experience been?

In one word-YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My dd and i applied 13 weeks ago, we are leaving for Paris June 8th, and we still don't have them! We did not expedite, and i would pay almost anything (almost!:) ) now to get those passports here in time!!! Apply NOW, and expedite!!!! The backlog, i think, will only get worse as the year goes on! When you apply, you will need to take a certified copy of your BC, so make sure you have an extra because they keep it and send it back with your passport! Good luck!!

You don't NEED the passport. But if there's an emergency you will NEED it to fly home from a foreign port. Yes, you will be allowed back into the country, but there will be lots of red tape if you don't have a passport. And who wants to deal with that if there's an emergency?

If you WANT the passport, then yes you NEED to expedite it.

He won't need it for this trip! Why pay extra for something that he doesn't HAVE to have! His birth certificate and driver's lic. is ALL that he will need for this trip! (Even if you, for some reason, HAVE to fly home, they have procedures in place.) Don't worry!

Make sure you have a second copy of his birth certificate though before you send anything off.

Will a "copy" of a certified birth certificate be acceptable?

Does anyone know if the "application locator number" means anything other than it is being processed and if you have questions you can refer to that number?

Will a "copy" of a certified birth certificate be acceptable?

Does anyone know if the "application locator number" means anything other than it is being processed and if you have questions you can refer to that number?

When you say "copy" do you mean as in "copy it with a copying machine"? It is NO, in that case. It has to be a certified copy, and here in texas, it has a raised seal on it. We went to our local courthouse and had it within 5 minutes, but i don't know if it is that way in every state. They said their records were linked to Austin and that is why they could do it so fast. I think vitalcheck.com is one of those places that you can order one and get it delivered fast!

Sorry, forgot to answer this part. We have had that locater number for almost 8 weeks, and it means it is being processed, whatever that means! I have never had to give that number when I called them though, they just ask for our names and SS #'s.

I'd not chance it getting back in time for your cruise coming up, but I'd strongly advise your husband to apply well before he needs to have it, a minimum of 3 months, 6 would be better.

If your parents plan on taking any more cruises at all, they will need passports by the beginning of next year. That is what the gov't site says now, they may change it (again :rolleyes: ) but I'd not wait around for them. I know there were many people who applied last year before the date changed and plenty of them were disappointed, they thought they had wasted their money ahead of time. I think those same people are very happy with that decision now.

As bad as it is now, I think it will be even worse by October, November, when all the people who hesitated apply at once.

I know people have complained about the service through the passport agency, but I doubt they have the resources to quadruple their staff for a short period of time. I've read newspaper articles that state they are working overtime, supervisors and managers are processing applications, they have just been deluged this year from people who waited until the last minute. I read that in the month of January, they received about as many appkications as they normally would in a years time. That's a big pile of paper to work your way out of :eek:

In the "old days" (any time prior to 12/31/06) passports took between 2 - 6 weeks.

For anyone wanting to get a certified copy of their birth certificate, only use VitalChek if you are pressed for time. They charge a fortune for their service, anywhere between $30-60 more than what you pay to get it yourself. It's not difficult, you just go to the county where you were born and look up vital statistics. In CA, it takes approx. 2-3 weeks to receive it doin it yourself, VitalChek can get it in just a few days, or for the priciest method, overnight.

We're sailing July 16th and we've not yet applied for our passports. We're contemplating whether we want to just go it with our birth certificates on our Western Carrb cruise or take a short trip 2 weeks prior to try to get them at the regional passport office in Houston.

I'd just hate to get sick or miss the boat and not have a passport in a foreign country. That is my nagging worry.

When you say "copy" do you mean as in "copy it with a copying machine"? It is NO, in that case. It has to be a certified copy, and here in texas, it has a raised seal on it. We went to our local courthouse and had it within 5 minutes, but i don't know if it is that way in every state. They said their records were linked to Austin and that is why they could do it so fast. I think vitalcheck.com is one of those places that you can order one and get it delivered fast!

That's what I thought. I read some other posters recommending to make a copy before mailing it with the passport application, just in case the passport doesn't arrive in time.

Archived