Best port to buy booze?

IflyWithDi

I've bought booze in Cozumel, on board, St. Maarten and St. Thomas. St. Maarten was the cheapest by far, but the prices on board were pretty good, especially for the Cruzan line of rums. (Bring me home a bottle of Special Dark, pleeeze)

I have to agree with a previous poster, San Juan duty free at the airport and there is a little grocery store about 2 blocks from the ship (across from the Wyndham OSJ) that sells liquor cheap. Also, best advice for buying liquor in St. Thomas, go to the K-Mart near the pier. They have excellent prices. :)

Most ports are all great to buy booze. But I have found the best prices in the following?

For Vodka and many other types definately in St. Thomas.

Rum in Puerto Rico for sure!! You don't have to go to the Bacardi Factory, you can get off and there are liquor stores right in the pier terminal.

In Mexico you get the best prices for Kahula and I mean the lowest prices, you will be quite surprised. As for Tequila in Mexico, I have found it cheaper perhaps a couple of dollars no sense buying that and worrying about getting it home for just a few bucks.

Hope this helps, also the cruise lines have a liquor store that you can really get great deals on many different kinds of booze, only that you order them and the day before the cruise ends is when you get them delivered to your cabin, you cannot buy them on board and take them back to your cabin right away.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
For Vodka and many other types definately in St. Thomas.
St. Thomas had good prices on Absolut, but St. Maarten beat them out, not only in their liquor stores, but we saw it in jewelry stores, perfume stores, etc. The price on the ship (this was two years ago on the Enchantment of the Seas) was $18.95 for 2 bottles. We found it as low as $6.50 per bottle in St. Maarten.

Best rum deal is Def. San Juan. Followed by St Marteen. (cigs in st Marteen are 10.00 a carton!) BUT If you buy from st Thomas you can bring back 4 bottles per person duty free. Thats alot of Liquor. They all put them in those handy dandy boxes. So dont worry about that.

Susan

• 3 months later...

Since we have to deal with state run liqupr stores here, any port is good! We only bought a few things--mostly Tanqueray for DH which he paid about half the normal price for on the ship. I am looking for some of the cream rums this time though. Friends brought back the vanilla last year and it was so yummy!!!!

Tammy

There is a place in St Thomas that sends the booze back to the ship for you. I wish I could remember the name....if anyone knows the name, please post. I remember St Thomas being cheap. I will look around to see if I have a reciept somewhere in my files:D

I found a card on the back of one of the bottles we brought back. It is called the Caribana. Located at 30 Main Street, St Thomas.

Try the Rum Cream, I think it was called Cruzana...or something like that. It was great! We circled the store several times to get MANY samples. We sill see them again in May on the Legend. Happy Shopping.

Archived