Big Price Difference Between Coral And Brilliance

vacation fool

Can anyone tell me why there would be such a big price difference on the Panama Canal Cruise in April 2008 for a mini-suite between the 2 cruise lines? Actually, the Princess one has more ports than the RCI one and the RCI one is over $900 more. I am already booked on the Princess one but want to know if i am missing something? Thanks:confused:

Not sure where you are comparing pricing at, but I can tell you we stopped cruising RCI when they stopped allowing any type of discounted fares. Princess still allows discounting by Travel Agents and for us, the price is much lower than a cruise on RCI. Plus we feel Princess has a much better cruising experience then RCI does.

Recently it seems Royal Caribbean is just running much higher than Princess. I was all set to sail on the Mariner of the Seas this fall when my TA told me that the EXACT same cruise – same departure weekend and same itinerary, was $650 cheaper on the Caribbean Princess. I have certainly sailed each line multiple times and enjoyed them both for different things. (Each line has its own strengths and weaknesses.) But $650 PER PERSON is a lot of money so it made my decision easy – here I come again Caribbean Princess! That saved money will pay for a couple of nights in Florida before the cruise and after. The way I see it it’s RCCL’s loss. I know I will have a great vacation and cruise either way!

I agree - RCCL is significantly more expensive recently. They have trendy things such as rock climbing, ice skating, surfing (not all on all ships)...

I have been on the Coral and Radiance (sister to Brilliance) and the 2 ships are very similiar. I would not pay significantly more (the difference you quoted between the 2) to go on RCCL.

Not sure where you are comparing pricing at, but I can tell you we stopped cruising RCI when they stopped allowing any type of discounted fares. Princess still allows discounting by Travel Agents and for us, the price is much lower than a cruise on RCI. Plus we feel Princess has a much better cruising experience then RCI does.

Why wouldn't I compare? Isn't that what makes an educated consumer? Not understanding your comment. I do understand the rest of your post, though. Thankyou for your input.:)

Can anyone tell me why there would be such a big price difference on the Panama Canal Cruise in April 2008 for a mini-suite between the 2 cruise lines? Actually, the Princess one has more ports than the RCI one and the RCI one is over $900 more. I am already booked on the Princess one but want to know if i am missing something? Thanks:confused:

I have always found RCI overpriced. :rolleyes:

Why wouldn't I compare? Isn't that what makes an educated consumer? Not understanding your comment. I do understand the rest of your post, though. Thankyou for your input.:)

I think you misunderstood my post. I said not sure WHERE (not why) you compared prices. Mainly as the prices on the Princess website are Princess prices and they can almost always be beaten with a good discount cruise agent, which would make the savings even greater. :)

I think the difference is because a lot of people cruise RCI because of the ships. People want to sail on a Voyager class or Radiance class vessel and the cost really doesn't matter. People don't really chose Princess because of the ships.

I'm disappointed at RCI's pricing as well. RCI has some of the nicest ships out there, but so does Princess.

I really enjoyed the Radiance a few years ago and would love to sail on them again.

I just can't justify the hundreds of dollars extra per person just for an ice skating show and a rock wall. But if they're selling out, more power to them.

I just did a cost comparison between Mariner & CB for March 2. The difference in the base fare is $41pp for a JS on Mariner vs. a minisuite on CB. But the taxes & port charges on RCI are $394 (for both) vs. only $97 (for both) on Princess! Mariner sails from Port Canaveral & stops in San Juan, while CB is FLL and Princess Cays...

We get enough discounts and onboard credits to make the RCI trip slightly less expensive, though - booking a balcony or higher gets a discount of $50-300 depending on your C&A status and length of cruise, RCI will sometimes give coupons for sailing of up to $225, if you own 100 shares of RCI stock you can get an onboard credit for up to $250. And all of those are combinable, unlike Princess, where you can only pick one.

So with all of that, it's $175 less for us to sail on RCI. Not a break the bank sum, but it's a massage plus a bottle of nice wine....

I think you misunderstood my post. I said not sure WHERE (not why) you compared prices. Mainly as the prices on the Princess website are Princess prices and they can almost always be beaten with a good discount cruise agent, which would make the savings even greater. :)

Now thats some writing that i can see lol Geesh, even my glasses didn't help me the first time so thanks for clearing that up for me, literally:D I did compare both RCI and Princess by the website prices and that is a remarkable difference ($900) don't u think?

Now thats some writing that i can see lol Geesh, even my glasses didn't help me the first time so thanks for clearing that up for me, literally:D I did compare both RCI and Princess by the website prices and that is a remarkable difference ($900) don't u think?

LOL, I am glad you saw it as I honestly didn't want you to think I was questioning WHY you were comparing. Isn't it amazing how reading one word wrong in a post can change the entire meaning of it though? ;)

I have sailed the Island Princess (sister to Coral) and also the Brilliance of the Sea. Both ships among my favorites. I would base my decision upon number of days, ports, and whether or not you like traditional dining and towel animals.

My money would be with Princess for that difference.

I know that I personally am booked to go on the Mariner of the Seas in September. When I first started planning I looked at both the Mariner and the Caribbean Princess. When I proposed both ships to my family we decided to go on the Mariner as we wanted to try a Voyager class vessel. I explained that this might end up being a few hundred dollars more but we decided it was worth it to try this ship as a destination in itself. We are booked in a grand suite which I think is about equal to a Princess vista suite. When I ended up getting all my discounts the 2 ships were within $70 of each other and I got a $300 shipboard credit on the Mariner.

I also know that when they announced that the Mariner was coming to Los Angeles I booked it again knowing I will pay more for it but again knowing that IT is the destination. People look at a lot of things when they chose a vacation.

On the other side of the coin I spent more money and booked Princess for next month as I really wanted to try the Pacific Princess. The idea of such a small ship really intrigues me. Again I booked the ship, not the destination.

I have noticed that for last-minute bookings RCI has some great discounts - so that the price usually ends up lower than Princess. But this only applies if you wait till the last 60 days before departure to book. Also, at least for these last minute discounts, RCI often charges only 150% for a single cabin whereas Princess almost always charges 200%. So it definitely pays to compare.

I have sailed the Island Princess (sister to Coral) and also the Brilliance of the Sea. Both ships among my favorites. I would base my decision upon number of days, ports, and whether or not you like traditional dining and towel animals.

My money would be with Princess for that difference.

It is$$$$$$ Thanks

"People don't really chose Princess because of the ships"

Sorry Kim, but that might be just your opinion.

We choose Princess because we do love the ships. And the itineraries. And the decor and ambiance. And the service. and much more.

We're not looking for rock climbing walls, ice skating and other unusual stuff. It's fine for those who want to pay the additional fare for those kinds of extras.

We happily stay with Princess for the quality of cruises that we have experienced with that cruiseline.

also the coral is alot smaller than the brilliance,but rci is always on the high side if you ask me:)):p ;)

The Coral is 92,000 tonnage. The Brilliance is 90,000 tonnage - pretty much the same size IMO.

I also sail Princess because I like the ships. I really don't want to sail another ship with a rock climbing wall or skating rink.

we took our children on the Mariner over xmas last year the adult children loved that there were so many things for their children to do rock wall, ice skating ,parades kids program but as an adult we like more quiet we have sailed on holland america, windstar, oceania and are going to sail to panama canal on our first Princess cruise Island Princess in November I think for families or if you like the activities on the big ships like Mariner it is great .

Archived