Fashion question about wearing a tux..buttoned or open?

wolfatlga

Greetings..

For our next trip to Alaska, we have decided to rent a tux for formal night. It will include a vest, so my question is do you button the coat or leave it open?

I know on suits you leave the bottom button undone, but I've never worn a tux before or I was just curious what the norm is on a tux..

Thanks..

Tuxes (as with any other suit or blazer) are properly worn with the top button (or top 2 buttons on a 3-button suit) buttoned when standing and unbuttoned when seated.

However with Double-breasted jackets, all buttons are fastened (unless of course one is seated - then all buttons are undone)

Vests, of course, are always buttoned whether standing or seated - with the bottom button always left unfastened.

One should never wear a vest with a Double Breasted jacket.

If wearing a vest with formalwear, one should also wear braces (suspenders) to hold up one's trousers - not a belt. If wearing a cummerbund, braces are redundant and vice versa. With a suit, one may also choose between a belt and braces.

Incidentally, Cummerbunds are always worn with the pleats/folds facing up. (as if to catch crumbs)

And finally, men with wide middle-sections are better off wearing vests - not only are they generally more comfortable - particularly when seated - but a Cummerbund that looks like a Band-Aid that's been tied across the belly with string is never approprate.

And finally, men with wide middle-sections are better off wearing vests - not only are they generally more comfortable - particularly when seated - but a Cummerbund that looks like a Band-Aid that's been tied across the belly with string is never approprate.

Conjures up an interesting mental picture............

Obviously, most of us have observed many a tux fashion fauxpax over the years!!!!

but a Cummerbund that looks like a Band-Aid that's been tied across the belly with string is never approprate.

OMG, I just spit coffee over my keyboard at work - too funny!!!!! I love the description and believe me, I've seen a couple that looked the part.

On another note - DH is always struggling with the wing tip collar ... does it to over top of the bow tie, or does the tie go in front of the wing tips? We've seen both, but are never sure what is appropriate. Last time we sailed, DH brought his regular collared tuxedo shirt and wore his bow tie with it. Inquiring cruisers like to know!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Gerry

If wearing a vest with formalwear, one should also wear braces (suspenders) to hold up one's trousers - not a belt. If wearing a cummerbund, braces are redundant and vice versa. With a suit, one may also choose between a belt and braces.

I don't think redundant is the word you want, Brian - a cummerbund won't keep your pants up! But it will cover your belt.....;)

On another note - DH is always struggling with the wing tip collar ... does it to over top of the bow tie, or does the tie go in front of the wing tips? We've seen both, but are never sure what is appropriate. Last time we sailed, DH brought his regular collared tuxedo shirt and wore his bow tie with it. Inquiring cruisers like to know!

Gerry

I've seen both, but on various tuxedo website pictures the tie is over the tabs. One site actually says it is proper to wear the wing tabs behind the tie, so I guess that is the final word. I think the tabs stick out when you put the tie under them, they are so short. I MUCH prefer the traditional tux shirt with bow tie. :)

Just buy him one of those ruffled shirts (they come in orange, works very well on HAL;) ) as opposed to the wing-tip...........then you won't have a problem since the bowtie goes on "normal" Brian, dude, thanks for the hot tips especially when it comes to "braces"! Great info!

econ_orange_costume.jpg

Tuxes (as with any other suit or blazer) are properly worn with the top button (or top 2 buttons on a 3-button suit) buttoned when standing and unbuttoned when seated.

However with Double-breasted jackets, all buttons are fastened (unless of course one is seated - then all buttons are undone)

Vests, of course, are always buttoned whether standing or seated - with the bottom button always left unfastened.

One should never wear a vest with a Double Breasted jacket.

Incidentally, Cummerbunds are always worn with the pleats/folds facing up. (as if to catch crumbs)

Oh Brian this post should have come with a warning, as one of those with a "wide" middle section I nearly sprayed iced coffee on my desk. Its a good thing I work from home as I laughed out loud only to discover our beagle staring at me strangely as if he was trying to figure out what was wrong with me..... either that or its the vicodin from my surgery making me loopy

Somebody, a British friend I think, once told me that the bottom button of a vest should always be left unbuttoned. So, I wear mine that way and so far the fashion police haven't carted me away in disgrace! MY only problem with vests is that they are too hot much of the time.

One of these days I'm going learn how to tie a real bow tie so I open it in the wee small hours of the morning, a la the Rat Pack. Come to think of it, I don't have to learn how to tie it, just keep it in my pocket and switch around midnight!

Bob

Just buy him one of those ruffled shirts (they come in orange, works very well on HAL;) ) as opposed to the wing-tip...........then you won't have a problem since the bowtie goes on "normal" Brian, dude, thanks for the hot tips especially when it comes to "braces"! Great info!

econ_orange_costume.jpg

Hey, I could wear that to the muster drill.....no one would notice I wasn't wearing that bulky lifevest!

Georgia Member!! -- We are originally from Athens!! Anyhow, we just returned from 12 days on the Rotterdam in Europe and at the MOST maybe 1/4 wore tuxes. Have never seen so few and imagine some of it has to do with not wanting to carry them that far. My husband has his own but just wore a good navy suit with best ties and was almost overdressed in some groups. In the past Alaska has been more casual also. Our constant complaint on formal night is the many that change after dinner to super casual -- t-shirts, etc. -- and even jeans. The ships don't seem to really care about this habit but it is irritating to sit in the show lounge with the wide range of dress. Have fun!! "How Bout Them Dogs"

Greetings..

For our next trip to Alaska, we have decided to rent a tux for formal night. It will include a vest, so my question is do you button the coat or leave it open?

I know on suits you leave the bottom button undone, but I've never worn a tux before or I was just curious what the norm is on a tux..

Thanks..

Just rent some Frank Sinatra movies. Whatever Ol' Blue Eyes wore, and how he wore it, is correct.;)

Just rent some Frank Sinatra movies. Whatever Ol' Blue Eyes wore, and how he wore it, is correct.;)

*LOL* There is actually a book out called "The Way You Wear Your Hat" that someone wrote with all of Sinatras tips on things like what color suit to wear for what event at what time of the day, and what accecessories to go with it. What cocktail to order at what time of day, all stuff like that .

Fun reading , but there are a lot of good tips in there.

Whether you liked him or not, Old Blue Eyes was a pretty snappy dresser :)

Brian,

Yep, what we called them in the Navy was "crumb-catchers". Also, I usually describe my profile in a cummerbund as "a rubber band on a boiled egg." But, DW likes to dress up, so I do it.

But, frankly, from a guy's viewpoint, no-one is really looking at us; they are looking at what the ladies are wearing. We guys are generally just happy to be wearing the same thing as all the other guys, because that means we got it right and didn't screw it up.

Dave

Brian,

Yep, what we called them in the Navy was "crumb-catchers". Also, I usually describe my profile in a cummerbund as "a rubber band on a boiled egg." But, DW likes to dress up, so I do it.

But, frankly, from a guy's viewpoint, no-one is really looking at us; they are looking at what the ladies are wearing. We guys are generally just happy to be wearing the same thing as all the other guys, because that means we got it right and didn't screw it up.

Dave

Dave....I love your words of wisdom.:)

Peaches: thanks for your words of wisdom - I agree with you that I prefer the traditional collared shirt to the wing tips. Trying to get those little things to stay behind the bow tie can be a total pain and waste of time.

John, as always, you've put another smile on my face - I can only imagine DH in that "lovely" tuxedo . . . somehow day-glo orange just doesn't seem to be his colour!

Re: cumberbunds - the way DH remembers whether to wear pleats-up or pleats-down, he was told the theatre tickets should be able to be carried between the folds.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Gerry

A few observations from a widebody.

The advice previously proffered is very good, and if you are a bit heavy in the middle as I am and would prefer not calling attention to your girth, a cummerbund is not a great option. I had belt loops put into my tuxedo trousers and wear a plain black belt because it replicates the comfort of my natural day-to-day business suits. I used to wear braces, but have foregone them because it makes little sense when they are normally hidden anyway.

After several years, I now go with a traditional closed collar on a white ruffled shirt, no vest, a patent leather black belt and a pocket hankerchief that matches the bow tie.

BTW, that works with both my black jacket and my white jacket tuxedos.

So far I haven't been thrown out of the dining room or Captain's parties on formal nights.

BTW2, in theory the folds of the cummerbund are up so you have a place to put the opera tickets.

BTW2, in theory the folds of the cummerbund are up so you have a place to put the opera tickets.

Host Walt,

Now, that is something I did not know. Fascinating!

I had heard that the reason men started leaving the bottom button of the vest unbuttoned had to do with Britain's King George IV, while he was Prince Regent during the long (and mentally unstable at the end) reign of George III. It appears that the Prince Regent was as svelte as me, and others who have posted on this thread, which is to say not at all ;) . I heard he took to leaving the bottom button open to relieve the pressure, and of course what Royalty did was the fashion, so everyone followed. I don't know if that is strictly true, but it is a great story and is plausible -- funny, though, that the fashion has persisted for about two centuries, but I can see why it is more comfortable to do so.

Ruth and Brian,

Of course I see your point (if George Clooney was at our table, I would have lost DW's attention for the duration of the meal :D ), but I suppose what I meant in the most part was that guys' clothing is not noticed that much, so long as it doesn't actually frighten children, and that most of the guys are just happy to fit in instead of stand out. We can all be in pretty much identical tuxes and fit right in; it's mainly the dress of the ladies that is spectacular and bold and varied. Which, come to think of it, is one of the reasons formal night is so special....

Dave

Dave, regarding leaving the bottom button of the waistcoat/vest undone, I thought it was due to King Edward VII's (1901-1910) immense girth.

I want my DH to wear a tuxedo or a nice dinner jacket on our next cruise, but I have no idea where to start looking for one. A handsome men, he is not vain and hates to shop for clothes, which drives me nuts. Does anyone have a favorite store for reasonably-priced men's formal wear?

Archived