Don't bother lugging the dressy clothes on the Summit

42trvl

I am going to start a new thread and ask all of you to respond. How many of you truly enjoy the CELEBRITY experience becasue of the dress code???

I have always enjoyed CELEBRITY because of the dressy atmosphere in the evenings. How many of you feel the same???

ROSS

I am going to start a new thread and ask all of you to respond. How many of you truly enjoy the CELEBRITY experience becasue of the dress code???

I have always enjoyed CELEBRITY because of the dressy atmosphere in the evenings. How many of you feel the same???

ROSS

Do a search...someone did one not so long ago

I would have to agree that maybe the passengers lost their luggage. Or... perhaps they didn't know about the dress code and pitched a fit when told they couldn't eat in the dining room(all they had were casual clothes.)

On the Millie, we saw a lady being turned away from the dining room because she had on khakis and a button down shirt...on formal night. I was very pleased to witness this as she had been causually dressed all week. Good for Celebrity!

I have been on Summit twice and in December of 2005 I will be on her again for a 15 night cruise to Hawaii. I must say that each time I have been on her people did dress. Of course there were a few who did not abide by the dress code but not many. As for the Cosmopolitan Restaurant, everyone there was dressed accordingly. I love the fact that most people who sail on Celebrity ships take pride in their appearance and abide by the dress code. I hope that never changes. I also like the fact that Celebrity does not do free style cruising. I absolutley hate that. We did it once on Princess and we swore we would never do that again. Celebrity.....please don't ever change.

I get almost as much kick from the "Formal Night Clothes" threads as from the "Smoking" threads. The predictable battle that rages back and forth doesn't solve anything but IS entertaining. The ONLY problem is that 1st time cruisers could be easily mislead as to what to expect on their cruise. Our experience is that virtually everyone dresses in conformity to the recommended or suggested guidelines. Most that do not, seek alternate dining. It remains a "fun" topic, but in reality is much overblown.

We just returned from a cruisetour to AK on Summit. Almost everyone I saw adhered to the dress code--formal night was *very* formal for women, mostly suits for guys. I wore a little black dress--perfectly suitable but less dressy than most. I did notice that many changed into casual clothes after dinner.

What was different was that there's only one informal night rather than two as indicated on the Celebrity site. Thanks to CC I was forewarned so took a skirt/sweater combo that could go either way.

If you're really set on reducing the number of items, think about wearing the same thing for both formal nights--the guys do.

M/R

Oh dear! I'm going shopping with a friend to find fancy clothes for our trip on the Mercury to Alaska. What should I buy then?
I would not let others dictate what I wear. If there are 2 formal nights I would what ever nice dress up clothes that I bring. Do you think that these people in jeans and flip flops should have this power over YOU, I think not. Dress up and have a great time. Lorelle P.S. I am going on the Milleinnum TransAtlantic 11/07/04:) :)

Snobbish, sneering, pretentious complainers are more likely to ruin our appetites than people in blue jeans & sneakers.

We enjoy formal nights. But it doesn't bother us if others don't have formal wear. Personally, we would go to the buffet if we didn't feel like dressing up on formal nights.

We will be on an Alaskan cruise next month, and if our table-mates turn out to be pretentious complainers, we'll ask to be re-assigned .

Snobbish, sneering, pretentious complainers are more likely to ruin our appetites than people in blue jeans & sneakers.

We will be on an Alaskan cruise next month, and if our table-mates turn out to be pretentious complainers, we'll ask to be re-assigned .

Here! Here! and two cheers!!!.......

• 7 months later...

To: Bisous3

I really agree with the Maître D, Suzanne

PS: Bisous is a french word, do you speaking french???

Thank's

Jacques "Belle gueule"

Photos (click here): http://community.webshots.com/user/bellegueule001

Our 2,079 photos have been viewed 100,005 times and downloaded 1,426 times.

CEL - Summit, March 2006, Hawaï - 14 days

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2006;03;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400" border="0" alt""

RCCL - Freedom of the Seas, Dec. 2006, Western Caribbean - 7 days

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2006;12;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400" border="0" alt=""

(Back to Back)

RCCL - Freedom of the Seas, Dec. 2006, Western Caribbean - 7 days

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2006;12;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400" border="0" alt=""

canada_quebec_clr.gif

Must admit on all our recent cruises most people have dressed up for Formal nights

I sure dress up and will be only to happy to show up the slobs .......if those of us who like nice clothes dont wear them on cruises when on earth will we wear them ........the current slobby sloppy dress attitudes seem to be spilling over into sloppy work standards too ........Companies need to wake up and enforce dress codes at work and the world might smarten up too

Why do people worry about what others are wearing. The ones that are under dressed are the ones who should be worried. They know that everyone else is talking about them. Just dress up and enjoy yourself. There will be enough people dressed up for you to rub elbows with. By the way I would rather sit with a nice couple dressed casually than next to an a$$hole in a tux.

• 4 weeks later...

The Last Cruise I was on They denied entry to a person wearing nice clothes including a tie however no jacket. I for one always dress the way we wish but I do not care what other people wear and do not think that they should deny entry to anyone who is presentable even if they choose not to follow the dress code.

However he was clearly trying to follow it and they still did not let him in.

The part that upset me about the incident was the next night the last night of the cruise the man did not return with his family most likely upset from the previous evening.

So his waiter missed out on over $150.00 in tips have you ever seen anything like this before?

Do many people not tip?

The Last Cruise I was on They denied entry to a person wearing nice clothes including a tie however no jacket. I for one always dress the way we wish but I do not care what other people wear and do not think that they should deny entry to anyone who is presentable even if they choose not to follow the dress code.

But there are other other venues for that person to eat, correct? Including room service. I don't see how you cannot know what is expected. Now if they lost their luggage or something I'm sure they would have lent him a jacket or he could have eaten somewhere else.

I think trying to deal with the matter quietly before dinner might have helped.

However he was clearly trying to follow it and they still did not let him in.

But how was he trying to follow it if he didn't have a jacket? Did the ship daily not say what the dress code was?

I think you could argue if his jacket was not matching or dirty or something but if the daily said "jacket" and he didn't have one then he wasn't following the dress code.

Folks seem to want to make this personal. (I guess what you wear is personal to you.) But it really isn't. Jacket. No jacket. What is the deal?

The part that upset me about the incident was the next night the last night of the cruise the man did not return with his family most likely upset from the previous evening.

Yes, I'm sure. I'll bet we will see a post any day now that the cruiseline "ruined" his cruise and he wants compensation.

So his waiter missed out on over $150.00 in tips have you ever seen anything like this before?

I'm sure it has happened and will sadly happen again. Of course the waiter had nothing to do with the enforcement of the dress code, did he or she?

But I don't see this a reason to drop dress codes.

Folks can find many reasons to not be happy and not tip.

The sad fact is that the man who I'm sure paid more than $150 for his cruise was probably very unhappy becasue of that incident. And all for lack of a jacket.

But I hope the missed tips for the waiter were made up by the other folks who were happy with his service and decided to tip extra.

And I hope the passenger has gotten over his upset and has some good memories of his cruise.

Calm seas,

Caroline

Sorry to hear this....I was on the Century last week and was generally impressed with how most adhered to the dress code. On formal night I only saw a few men without a tie and jacket. Never saw any jeans or short sleeved shirts. There were so few improperly dressed that it didn't detract from the atmosphere; it only made those few look foolish.

Ok here goes flamers get your matches out.

I have been on a total of five cruises so far and I have never experienced what the person who started this thread claims to have seen. I think you have all had your chains pulled one more time.

Second when I see homeless on the streets it is amazing how many have sport coats or suit jackets on. If they can wear them to sleep on the streets why can't someone who can afford to pay for a cruise find one to wear? Maybe before the cruise they should try to borrow one to wear on the cruise.

So ponder that folks.

I'll never understand those that want Ruth Chris Steak House for a McDonald's price...then dress accordingly. <sigh> The 'excuse' is always that it's their cruise and we should leave them alone. Good grief people, this is exactly why there are many different cruise lines. If you don't want to dress for dinner to create and maintain an elegant environment for everyone, then don't choose Celebrity to cruise with. There are lines that provide a more informal atmosphere that are just as good to cruise with as Celebrity.

The flip-side of that argument is that if people felt as passionately as they claimed to about dress, they would stop cruising a mass market line like X and would pay for the truly upscale experience of a Radission where their trip would not be ruined by a poorly enforced dress code. They won't because they don't want to pay. It's really the same argument.

Was this on formal or informal night?

Maybe this was said, I didn't read the whole thread, but my feeling is - if you want to dress up - do so and who cares about anyone else? I have been at a country bar with a fringed beaded dress...most everyone else had on jeans...I still had a GREAT time and most of them didn't care...same with on the ship.

About going to up-scale resturants and people being in jeans...and then deciding not to go back because of that - if you enjoy the resturant, why let others take that away from you. That's why we live where we live - so that people can have the freedom to dress as they want. As to people wearing jeans to church - at least they were there. I sincerely doubt tha the Lord will care what anyone of us has on as long as we are "decent"!!

Don't let others dim the time you are having. Wear what you want, enjoy your Friends and Family on the trip and don't pay any attention to those who aren't dressed up!!

We are booked on the Summitt in January of 2006 - I'll take my boa, my tiarra, my dress with maribou feathers and several others - my Husband will take his tux, and so will my Brother - We'll have a great time...and if others select to not wear the same types of clothes - we won't let it make a difference to us...Cruising is too much fun to let things like that affect our trip.

Happy Cruising and Don't Sweat the Small Stuff....and bottom line...it's all small stuff when it comes to things like this! Take Care! A

Archived