Don't bother lugging the dressy clothes on the Summit

42trvl

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=magenta]i dont care or complain about like it the numerous BETTER then thou folks here..... :rolleyes: EXCEPT ,,, of course when addressing these threads,,, :mad: [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=magenta]when of course i have to SPEAK UP for all the people who are ......[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#ff00ff]1. being made fun of[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#ff00ff]2. accused of being less,, classy,[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#ff00ff]3. said to have "no upbringing"[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#ff00ff]4. said to have "no money" :mad: [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#ff00ff]5. are "dirtier" :mad: [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#ff00ff]6. SLOBS[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#ff00ff]NEED I GO ON................ :mad: CLOTHS DONT MAKE A PERSON[/color][/size][/font]

Boy, I never thought my original post would cause such an uproar, and it certainly didn't affect our enjoyment of our cruise. However, rich, poor or in the middle when an occasion calls for a certain type of dress then it's simply in good taste, judgement and courtesy to follow that suggestion and if one can't be bothered then they don't need to attend - anyone at any income level can look neat or sloppy. And as I said originally, more than how people choose to dress, it does make us wonder what the point of having dress codes is if the cruise line won't bother enforcing - they can if they want to. We love kicking back in our jeans and sweats also, but when we are in that kind of a mood then we won't go to the "fancier" restaurant. Same with picking a cruise ship.

Well I have seen very wealthy people act inapproprialtely, treat others like trash (because they think they can), dress like god knows what and stink to high heaven - and you just know they can afford a bar of soap!

I have also known the reverse as true...We all know that you do not have to spend a lot of money to dress in an approproriate fashion. The guy that is wearing the half sleeve shirt, no tie and jeans could just as easily worn a tie and jacket and slacks. If people were "poor" or "could not afford" they would not be spending their money on a cruise vacation, now would they..they would have to be putting their money to more important things like food and bills. It's not a matter of how much money someone has, it's about being respectful and follow "the"rules....not your own set of rules...it's called class. Would you attend a friend's wedding dressed in jeans? I would think not...well cruising has the same tradition.

the thing is money does not buy you class, it does not make you better than anyone else, it does not really mean anything, really. It is the spirit inside of you do you want to be a stingy, boorish, smelly fool or do you want to follow the right path that does not involve selfishness, name calling, line cutting, stingyness, finger pointing and self righteousness or all the other things people from all class levels are accused from. I think (hope) everyone knows what the right thing to do is, but some choose the "right" way some choose the "wrong"way - money has nothing to do with it. By showing some respect to others, you will earn some for yourself.

There are lots of reasons for bad behavior, but money is not one of them.

And NiniB...

Just because you "think" you are sticking up for others, you are equally as bad. You really cannot judge anyone, there are not "better than thou's" here on this board, just others with a different opinion. By your name calling you are no better than anyone else with an ignorant post.

I have been reading posts on the Crystal board...how come posts like these do not exist over there? Just curious.....

[quote name='Kathleen P.'] It's not a matter of how much money someone has, it's about being respectful and follow "the"rules....not your own set of rules...it's called class. [/QUOTE]

I have been avoiding this thread but I have to put my two cents in. Kathleen and others there are no rules! There is suggested attire but it is not required. If it were required the people not dressed appropriately would not be allowed in and told to dine at another designated place. It doesn't matter how the cruise lines words it etc. the bottom line is X doesn't care what you wear! People choose X for the itineraries, staff, service etc. the dress code is so insignificant when deciding when or where to cruise I can't believe some feel that it would make a person choose a different line because they want to wear jeans or less then formal attire. You can not make a cruise line conform to a dress code you want. The bottom line is the cruise line has no dress code so people casual and formal will have to live with each other. Hear is a question... if a person in a tux does not offend a person in chinos and a blazer then why should that person offend the person in the tux?

[quote name='JudithLynne']Let me ask you all this....is this as big of a problem on Crystal cruises or some of the other upperscale cruiselines? Out of my price range so I don't have the answer.[/QUOTE]

The answer to your question is that Crystal markets toward that clientele X does not. MY GOD PEOPLE THERE IS NO FORMAL DRESS CODE ONLY A SUGGESTION OF WHAT TO WEAR!!!!!

JudithLynne, the more upscale cruise lines like Seabourn and Crystal don't seem to have a problem with people following their dress codes. I've been on 13 Crystal cruises and 6 Seabourn, along with 2 X, 8 RCCI and many others, and on lines such as Crystal, you will easily see 99% of the men in tuxes and the women dressed accordingly. I think it's just a matter of people understanding that when you pay that kind of money for a cruise, a certain ambience is expected. And I've seen people turned away from the dining room when not dressed according to code. Another thing on those lines, all the passengers stay dressed in the requested clothing of the evening, for the entire evening---no going back after dinner and changing into casual clothing.

And, this has absolutely nothing to do with class, snobbishness, income or any of the other words people on this thread use. It's just common sense, respect and an understanding of what's expected from the passengers. I know people from every income level and with jobs ranging from blue collar to CEO's who cruise Crystal and the other upscale lines, and there's never any question about following dress codes and respecting what every passenger comes to expect from that particular experience. You don't hear the usual chant of "I paid for my cruise and therefore I can do whatever I wish" or "It's my vacation and I don't have to dress up if I don't feel like it". When you sign up for a Crystal, Seabourn or Silversea cruise, you know exactly what expected, and you follow it.

[quote name='BB5953']I have been avoiding this thread but I have to put my two cents in. Kathleen and others there are no rules! There is suggested attire but it is not required. If it were required the people not dressed appropriately would not be allowed in and told to dine at another designated place. It doesn't matter how the cruise lines words it etc. the bottom line is X doesn't care what you wear! People choose X for the itineraries, staff, service etc. the dress code is so insignificant when deciding when or where to cruise I can't believe some feel that it would make a person choose a different line because they want to wear jeans or less then formal attire. You can not make a cruise line conform to a dress code you want. The bottom line is the cruise line has no dress code so people casual and formal will have to live with each other. Hear is a question... if a person in a tux does not offend a person in chinos and a blazer then why should that person offend the person in the tux?[/QUOTE]

I think you should go to Celebrity's website and read the dress code requirements....yes there are RULES. They also give suggestions for for alternative dining for those that do not wish to dress appropriately for the evening. Why it is not followed thru on the cruise..I don't know. But the RULES are there in black and white.

I think a lot of the problem with people not dressing appropriately is based on price for a cruise. By that I mean, people use on-line or other agents that don't match the cruise to the person. I was a travel agent for several years, and I used to ask my clients how they felt about dressing for dinner. If they preferred something casual, I would look for a trip that was in their price range but afforded the less dress option. A few months ago I went on a HAL cruise, and I read their boards. It was clear when a group of young people who only wanted to party and no thought of dressing for dinner at all, felt that they were going because "the travel agent got us a good price". I am not against young people, I have had my son travel with us from when he was 7 on up. I guess even though we might not want to go to a travel agent who takes an interest in people, just one who will give the "full discount", then this will continue to occur. I don't think enough people look at what the cruise line is like, just the bottom line for a cruise. But, that's JMHO.

Sigh no they are not RULES. They are requests. RULES having to do with safety are pretty understandable, requests having to do with clothing are not as critical.

[url]http://www.celebrity.com/prepare/faq/answer.asp?s=20891F580B&sid=63&fid=431[/url]

[quote] [b]men are requested[/b] to wear a jacket, shirt and tie, while women [b]may want to wear[/b] a suit or dress. For the formal nights, including the Captain's Welcome Aboard Cocktail Party, dinner on the second night, and the Captain's Farewell Dinner held the next-to-last night of the cruise; both [b]men and women may prefer[/b] more dressy attire[/quote]
Sorry but nowhere does the word require, you must, rules appear.

I chose to follow the requests after arguing against them for months, but I see others points.

I find it ironic, that while we argue our point of minding the rules set out by the cruiselines, we dont mind breaking the rules of this message board by resorting to singling out people with a little name calling. Surely we can get our points across without it.

[quote name='DCT61']I find it ironic, that while we argue our point of minding the rules set out by the cruiselines, we dont mind breaking the rules of this message board by resorting to singling out people with a little name calling. Surely we can get our points across without it.[/QUOTE]

exactly !!! How many of those argueing the "rules" of the dress code "smuggle" booze in? just a thought...

It also seems people break rules when it suits them best for the easy way out...ie:a rule of not bringing your own liquor on board is broken all the time from what I have read here......that type of thing. No "request" is not "required", but it is nice to know that the majority of cruisers are not repesented by this board. If it were we would never cruise Celebrity again. We have met many nice people that do the "requested" thing. So if it makes you happy thinking you got away with it...so what...I personally do not care what you wear. We like to dress what is "requested".

Maybe with the No discounting policy, Celebrity may start to uphold a real dress code and turning away people without the "requested attire" since there is alternative dining options for those that do not wish to dress...

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=magenta]well of course..... :confused: but as you can tell by the threads i was attacked from the start AS ALWAYS,, :rolleyes: for my [u]different opinion[/u],, and i respond with THE SAME ...... :mad: that is the way THIS BOARD IS...... [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#ff00ff]i will agree with whoever said that the OTHER boards are NOT the SAME in that regard...... :confused: [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#ff00ff]and before you suggest it,, [u]NO[/u] ,, i will [u]NOT[/u] stay OFF this BOARD....:p [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=magenta]did you say something..... :confused: you guys are better than CABLE TV sometimes ,,, NOT.........:rolleyes: :eek: [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#ff00ff][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#ff00ff]haha....:rolleyes: [/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='Kathleen P.']I think you should go to Celebrity's website and read the dress code requirements....yes there are RULES. They also give suggestions for for alternative dining for those that do not wish to dress appropriately for the evening. Why it is not followed thru on the cruise..I don't know. But the RULES are there in black and white.[/QUOTE]

Kathleen - I have been on the website and looked over past documents and it very clearly states "the suggested dress code" for the formal nights... informal nights... casual nights. And even if it would say mandatory or policy or some other word that would mean required if they don't enforce it is not required.

I was on the Celebrity Summit 07.30 cruise and I beg to differ with those who felt formal nights and dressing in general was not up to snuff. This was my first Celebrity cruise and we were so impressed at how dressed up people were! I truly regretted not bringing my formal gowns with me this trip. Lots of tuxes, lots of gowns! As my two daughters entered the Cosmopolitan dining room and sat down amongst the beautifully dressed diners, they commented that they felt like royalty! I was pleasantly surprised........and disappointed to read that not everyone had the same experience.

To those getting ready to cruise....have fun!....blow the dust off the gowns & tuxes and bring 'em along!....You'll be glad you did!

Happy Travels!

Tara

Archived