Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

All these pictures of adorable fur babies are so sweet! I wish that I could just hug Aruba and Davis. How could you ever say no to either of those cute faces!

Saturday was Paws for Freedom graduation day. So off we went in my folks' car, service dog, both daughters, wheel chair, ventilator and oxygen concentrator. (Our lift van's transmission isn't running well enough to trust it to drive across town.) It started to rain as we arrived and started our unloading process. Then of course it was raining harder when it was time to head back home. All worth the effort though to see two young ladies on the receiving end of "passing the leash". One of the graduating dogs was Gibson's sister Gracie. This link should take you to some photos they have posted on their facebook site. I am having trouble getting photos to upload. Will try again though.

Thanks to all of you who keep this thread going and make it such a treasure!

Beckie

https://www.facebook.com/PawsForFreedom

Hi Beckie

Thanks for this link - I just loved the short video of Gracie meeting her new furever family. Looks like a pawsome match! :D. They were all so excited, it was lovely to watch. :D

How are Diana and Gibson - please give Diana my best wishes and a hug to Gibson too! :D;)

Yes, that Aruba cute face - it is hard to say no, but say it I do, all day, every day .... Well that's what it feels like some days! LOL!!! In fact I'm sure she thinks her name is "Aruba No, Aruba NO! Aruba NOOOO!!!" Ha ha!

Yes fairborne that is a Halti collar. It is much better than the Gentle Leader. The halti has a clip that attaches to his flat collar so if he gets the halti off, he is still connected to the leash. It is also much better for control. Where the head goes, the body follows. Also, we are not constantly pulling on his neck. It's really great if he tries to get something off the ground. One small tug and his head is up where it belongs.

Thanks DKD, sounds like the sort of thing Aruba may need - I had another walk this morning with lots of just standing, and then when that got no response from me I could see puppy brain ticking over and coming up with "I think I'll just sit down here then" - in the middle of the road! It took 20 minutes to "walk" to a friend's house, literally 3 minutes walk up the road! Thankfully we have very little traffic! I feel so bad when I encourage her to walk and she hesitates and I'm inadvertently pulling on her skinny little neck ...... Oh and she met some cows for the first time today - oh my her little eyes were as round as saucers! And we disturbed a cat having a nap in the cow field - I don't know who was more surprised, Aruba or the cat, or ME!!!

OMD, Fairbourne, Ms. Aruba has the fall for the fur, DOWN! Now, give that sweet girl some little scritches under her chin. :D

As for me being naughty, I have had some excellent teachers! I can get very creative. Speaking of which I saw a photo page of 107 things to do with pallets. Some very ingenious ideas. I can't remember the site. Will look it up, later.

Gotta run and start getting 11 year old motivated to get breakfast and then off to church. Everyone have a great day.:D

Nancysmartpants - I read this and meant to comment and forgot!

107 things to do with pallets - Okay ..... really???? Darling girl you need to get out more! ;):p:D.

(I hope pallets are the same in the UK as in the US? A pallet is usually wooden and is used to hold/store goods in a warehouse or you load a pallet with goods to transport on a truck.)

All these pictures of adorable fur babies are so sweet! I wish that I could just hug Aruba and Davis. How could you ever say no to either of those cute faces!

Saturday was Paws for Freedom graduation day. So off we went in my folks' car, service dog, both daughters, wheel chair, ventilator and oxygen concentrator. (Our lift van's transmission isn't running well enough to trust it to drive across town.) It started to rain as we arrived and started our unloading process. Then of course it was raining harder when it was time to head back home. All worth the effort though to see two young ladies on the receiving end of "passing the leash". One of the graduating dogs was Gibson's sister Gracie. This link should take you to some photos they have posted on their facebook site. I am having trouble getting photos to upload. Will try again though.

Thanks to all of you who keep this thread going and make it such a treasure!

Beckie

https://www.facebook.com/PawsForFreedom

Beckie, thank you so much for sharing the Graduation with all of us. I love the pictures of the Working Dog when he was a pup and the recipient when she was a baby.......so, so adorable and a great idea! I love when the Puppyraisers take the time and effort to give pictures and memories of the amazing dog while on its journey to be someone's hero.

Hi Beckie

Thanks for this link - I just loved the short video of Gracie meeting her new furever family. Looks like a pawsome match! :D. They were all so excited, it was lovely to watch. :D

How are Diana and Gibson - please give Diana my best wishes and a hug to Gibson too! :D;)

Yes, that Aruba cute face - it is hard to say no, but say it I do, all day, every day .... Well that's what it feels like some days! LOL!!! In fact I'm sure she thinks her name is "Aruba No, Aruba NO! Aruba NOOOO!!!" Ha ha!

That's so funny about the "Aruba No!" I'm sure, knowing what puppies are capable of, that it's so true!

I've said it before but I can't say it enough.......THANK YOU.....for taking on the task of raising one of our miraculous future heroines!

Yay it worked. Take a look see thru the pics.

I want to thank you all for your gorgeous pictures of your furkids. It makes my day. I think I will trundle over to some of my pictures and see if I can find some of my Reno boy and then off course Jezzy Lou and Leann Emily. Back in a few.

Nancysmartpants - I read this and meant to comment and forgot!

107 things to do with pallets - Okay ..... really???? Darling girl you need to get out more! ;):p:D.

(I hope pallets are the same in the UK as in the US? A pallet is usually wooden and is used to hold/store goods in a warehouse or you load a pallet with goods to transport on a truck.)

Oh! Thank goodness, it wasn't me questioning what the heck is she going to do with "pallets" and why 107 things???????????

Nancy must be very bored if pallets are what's making her curls frizz!!!!! :confused:

Ok, since you can view my whole album on the Jezzy Lou picture, I won't post it again! Just ignore the ugly picture of me. The lizards are little opaque colored guys that come visit us on our back patio, every evening. Enjoy.

Edited by S.S. Cruisers
Add text

Yay it worked. Take a look see thru the pics.

I want to thank you all for your gorgeous pictures of your furkids. It makes my day. I think I will trundle over to some of my pictures and see if I can find some of my Reno boy and then off course Jezzy Lou and Leann Emily. Back in a few.

Can't open it!

This should be Jezzy Lou. Lets see.

Can't open this either.

Hi Everyone,

A lot of news to look at. Hope everyone is great and I loved the pictures, that I could see.

DSC02232JPG I tried to place an image----if it post, I will tell you about it.

Ok look at my Avatar that is my new furr friend-====Rose.

Sorry=-----I couldn't get a picture into this message, so the picture is tiny.

I couldn't wait for CCI to get in touch with us, it has been two years and we are not getting any younger. So we went to the Shelter and got Rose. She is a sweet dog but was abused and she is so quiet and doesn't know any commands, she has been a challenge since we have her. Poor thing, she is starting from not knowing anything. And she is not playful at all. She has bonded to me but at first, didn't want anything to do with DH but that is starting to change. She has learned to sit and not much of anything else. She is somewhat potty trained but I think we are the ones that are trained.:eek: She seems to P only twice a day and the other only once also. She is about 1 1/2 years old, so I guess I am like a puppy trainer. Any tips would be a great help.

Glad all the new pups are doing well and they seem to be growing so fast. Have to run, it is almost time for my walk. LOL Take care everyone and I am thinking of you but busy.

Can't open this either.

Hi Everyone,

A lot of news to look at. Hope everyone is great and I loved the pictures, that I could see.

DSC02232JPG I tried to place an image----if it post, I will tell you about it.

I've been thinking of you.......I'm so glad all is well! I love your new baby. What kind of dog is she? Lucky Rose, that you saved her! Life will be looking so much better for her and, it's amazing what these beings do for our lives as well!

Congratulations on finding her. Take it slowly, as you well know. You're just learning about each other. Be patient, you will be rewarded a thousand times over!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Well fiddle t dee! As my mom would say. I opened the link this morning after I posted it, but now says something about link not found, blah, blah, blah. Since Trudy's won't open either, I will blamei it on CC! :p

Trudy, Rose is adorable! She will come around. Poor baby. It will take time.

Well fiddle t dee! As my mom would say. I opened the link this morning after I posted it, but now says something about link not found, blah, blah, blah. Since Trudy's won't open either, I will blamei it on CC! :p

Trudy, Rose is adorable! She will come around. Poor baby. It will take time.

What do you mean, "Trudy's won't open either!" You wouldn't take my word for it! I'm insulted! What am I chopped liver? :o :rolleyes:

Ok look at my Avatar that is my new furr friend-====Rose.

Sorry=-----I couldn't get a picture into this message, so the picture is tiny.

I couldn't wait for CCI to get in touch with us, it has been two years and we are not getting any younger. So we went to the Shelter and got Rose. She is a sweet dog but was abused and she is so quiet and doesn't know any commands, she has been a challenge since we have her. Poor thing, she is starting from not knowing anything. And she is not playful at all. She has bonded to me but at first, didn't want anything to do with DH but that is starting to change. She has learned to sit and not much of anything else. She is somewhat potty trained but I think we are the ones that are trained.:eek: She seems to P only twice a day and the other only once also. She is about 1 1/2 years old, so I guess I am like a puppy trainer. Any tips would be a great help.

Glad all the new pups are doing well and they seem to be growing so fast. Have to run, it is almost time for my walk. LOL Take care everyone and I am thinking of you but busy.

This breaks my heart when I hear of any abuse to these gorgeous creatures but Rose has found her furrever home and she will be much loved by you and in cyberspace by us here! Sounds like she needs to be a puppy all over again, it will take a lot of patience Trudie but with your love and the trust that will surely come, she will return it and more - I can't wait to see a proper picture of her. :)

I think you just follow your instincts .... Love, love and more love and lots of cuddles. :D

Re the "p" issue, Poppy will maybe only p two or three times a day, the other usually morning and evening, but Max, well that's another story all together! Let's just say he's an opportunist!! LOL!!!

I guess having a dog that wanted to "p" every hour, for 13 years---this twice a day didn't seem right to me. But thanks---I will not be so worried now. Rose is a black mouth cur and possibly something else, they really don't know for sure. She is a sweet girl and I wish I knew how to get the puppy back in her, if only for a short while. she sure is a challenge, so far. But she does sit, when I tell her, so that is good. She is gentle with other animals and I like that. Today, the stray cat, that has a home, but visits here every day-----came running to us this morning when we went outside and Rose and the cat said hello to each other.

You all make me laugh---you are so good with your words-----have a good day everyone.

Cindy-----did you make your plans yet? Let me know, I sure wouldn't want to miss your visit.

Happy 4th Every One and have fun and be safe.

I guess having a dog that wanted to "p" every hour, for 13 years---this twice a day didn't seem right to me. But thanks---I will not be so worried now. Rose is a black mouth cur and possibly something else, they really don't know for sure. She is a sweet girl and I wish I knew how to get the puppy back in her, if only for a short while. she sure is a challenge, so far. But she does sit, when I tell her, so that is good. She is gentle with other animals and I like that. Today, the stray cat, that has a home, but visits here every day-----came running to us this morning when we went outside and Rose and the cat said hello to each other.

You all make me laugh---you are so good with your words-----have a good day everyone.

Cindy-----did you make your plans yet? Let me know, I sure wouldn't want to miss your visit.

Trudy, I could NEVER get Brenda to act like a puppy. To roll on the floor with me and wrestle....NEVER! If I picked up a tennis ball and threw it she'd be the first one to run and bring it back.....she was obsessed with that. But, she would not "play." She was dedicated, true and my darling but she was not a playful girl. Now, let's talk about Horton; he's the most playful, impish and fun loving dog......to a fault sometimes but always ready to make me smile and get down and dirty with me!

Maybe it has something to do with their pasts. Brenda had a rough past. She had graduated and lived with an elderly woman, in a wheelchair , who consistently ran into her with her chair [poor little girl came to me with all kinds of nicks on her back elbows.] When I asked about them the trainer told me her story. Finally, the woman would leave Brenda in the parking lot as she put herself in the car first. The trainers saw this and Brenda's fearful behavior around the woman and suggested that Brenda might do better in a different home [after 3 months with her.] Brenda was the oldest dog in the class but once they moved her from Oceanside to Santa Rosa she started to do very well. After I graduated with Brenny, there was a time when I wanted to hunt-down this woman, believe me! CCI could have pulled Brenda out of the program but with the right trainer and a change of occupation, she became the perfect dog for me.

I really think that Brenny's past experiences made her who she was and I loved her all the more.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I just emailed you.