Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

We were truly blessed yesterday. We are still in a mess but we really didn't get the devastation that NY and NJ got. I pray that all our friends (DKD and our puppy raisers) are all ok. The pictures on tv are shocking. For some reason Johns school is the only school open in the area. There is stuff all over the roads and some of them are closed. I don't know what they are thinking. But we are good, didn't even lose power. My mom did good too. She said lights went off for a minute a few times at the beginning of the storm but they never lost power. My car is in the back parking lot and I cannot see out there, alot of trees back there, hopefully it's ok. I will go out later and check it out.

We were truly blessed yesterday. We are still in a mess but we really didn't get the devastation that NY and NJ got. I pray that all our friends (DKD and our puppy raisers) are all ok. The pictures on tv are shocking. For some reason Johns school is the only school open in the area. There is stuff all over the roads and some of them are closed. I don't know what they are thinking. But we are good, didn't even lose power. My mom did good too. She said lights went off for a minute a few times at the beginning of the storm but they never lost power. My car is in the back parking lot and I cannot see out there, alot of trees back there, hopefully it's ok. I will go out later and check it out.

Cindy, thank God. I'm so glad to hear from you. Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know.

I'm saying prayers for everyone but especially our "Board Family!"

Cindy, thank God. I'm so glad to hear from you. Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know.

I'm saying prayers for everyone but especially our "Board Family!"

NJ got hammered, I'm sure DKD has no power and I hope we hear from them soon.

CCI is closed til tomorrow, but team training started yesterday so all the applicants were there. They will miss 2 days of training. I sent an email to my friend down there, I will probably hear from her tomorrow.

Wex did not like his first hurricane. He was freaked by the wind a few times when we went out. He seemed fidgety all day. Maybe it was the sound of the wind howling outside.

NJ got hammered, I'm sure DKD has no power and I hope we hear from them soon.

CCI is closed til tomorrow, but team training started yesterday so all the applicants were there. They will miss 2 days of training. I sent an email to my friend down there, I will probably hear from her tomorrow.

Wex did not like his first hurricane. He was freaked by the wind a few times when we went out. He seemed fidgety all day. Maybe it was the sound of the wind howling outside.

I'm concerned about CCI in Farmingdale. I know their first regard is to make sure that the dogs are safe but it's very traumatizing for a dog to go through the sounds/sights/smells, etc. of such storms. I know Horton would be "unglued" if he had to endure it. Brenny would pretty much sleep through it.

Stay safe and give Wexy an extra hug from us!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I'm concerned about CCI in Farmingdale. I know their first regard is to make sure that the dogs are safe but it's very traumatizing for a dog to go through the sounds/sights/smells, etc. of such storms. I know Horton would be "unglued" if he had to endure it. Brenny would pretty much sleep through it.

Stay safe and give Wexy an extra hug from us!

They had a few kennel personnel staying at CCI to care for the dogs. Plus there is a live-in caretaker there. I'm sure the dogs were well cared for.

How is Hortys ears?????

They had a few kennel personnel staying at CCI to care for the dogs. Plus there is a live-in caretaker there. I'm sure the dogs were well cared for.

How is Hortys ears?????

I think I told you about this wonderful family from Arizona, that we met onboard the Sapphire. They have two Golden's who had horrible ear problems until his friend who's a pharmacist told him about this med. called KE-FLO, it was invented by another pharmacist friend who had tried it on his dogs and they were amazed at how quickly it took care of yeast in dogs. It's a milky emulsion made-up of antibiotic [the same as Otomax] and something else, it's not oily it's milky liquid and goes deeper into the ear canal........long story short; I called my Vet, he never heard of it and said to go ahead and try it, he'd be available, if needed. I called the pharmacist in Arizona and, they sent me a sample and it's working......it wiped out the black, oozing "schmutz" and he's not itching or shaking his head. I have an appt. with my Vet to show it to him.

Fingers crossed.....this stuff is a miracle solution. It's applied with an eye dropper to each ear, I keep him on his side so it can get deeply into the canal and I rub, rub, rub. So far, so good!

I have to run, I'm taking Horty to a grooming and nail appt. Talk to you when I get back.

I'm back.....The Ke-Flo was sent to me by the gentleman that I met onboard the Sapphire, not by the pharmacist. It's an Rx and my vet would not write one until he was more familiar with the drug. Hence my visit with him.

It never ceases to amaze me how you can meet so many wonderful folks, who were once strangers, from all over the world and who become such wonderful friends through patting my Service Dog.

I feel so fortunate to be able to do this and just love the wonderful people I get to meet because of my dogs!

I'm back.....The Ke-Flo was sent to me by the gentleman that I met onboard the Sapphire, not by the pharmacist. It's an Rx and my vet would not write one until he was more familiar with the drug. Hence my visit with him.

It never ceases to amaze me how you can meet so many wonderful folks, who were once strangers, from all over the world and who become such wonderful friends through patting my Service Dog.

I feel so fortunate to be able to do this and just love the wonderful people I get to meet because of my dogs!

I just emailed our vet about the stuff. I'm sure she has no idea what it is but maybe she can find something out.

So did your vet research it?

I just emailed our vet about the stuff. I'm sure she has no idea what it is but maybe she can find something out.

So did your vet research it?

No, my visit is not until next week. I told him I was going to go ahead and try it. He said to use a small amount on the inside of his ear first to see if it was irritating at all. Horty didn't flinch......and Scott, the guy who recommended it has used it for years with his dogs, so I tried it. It's been wonderful.

I'm Baaaaccckkkk :D Everything at home is good. Nothing bad from the storm. Just had to get new tires for my car, 640.00. :mad: ugh My little crap car was so cheap,I could get a tire for 30.00. Now they are over 100.00.

My vet emailed me back and said the stuff we are using for Wexlers ears is pretty similiar to the keflo stuff. She actually knew what it was. So if you have trouble getting that stuff, ask your vet about the stuff Wex is using.

I'm really bummed out today. Our grocery store is closing. It is a family run store thats been around for years. They have excellent meats and the best fresh made bagels. There are alot of elderly people in this building and another building that go there to shop cuz its right near the apt. Whole Foods bought them out. I actually go to WF to get my fish, it's always so fresh and I got friendly with the fish lady. Plus it's the only place that has chilean sea bass, my fav. :D As far as shopping there every week for all groceries, not! It's just to expensive. And they don't have regular stuff. It's not even going to open for a year. Well I stocked up on meats now I have to go redo the freezer.

Still no word from DKD I see. I still havent heard from my friend at CCI either. They might not have power.

Cindy

I just spoke to our puppy raisers who live in the same town as DKD. They have no power, as I expected. The wife is in upstate NY with her parents. His work has power so he is spending all his time there. He said at every night he can hear a transformer blowing up somewhere in his area. There is no gas and he said if he finds any, he has to wait in line to get it, so he is not travelling much. He knows of the devastation but has not seen any tv to actually see what it's like. He said that they travel alot to the shore and he has heard that everything is gone. My heart breaks for them.

Another update. Looks like CCI Long Island is without phone and power. Since it was the start of team training all the applicants are there and they are continuing training. I don't know how they are doing it without power, but they are.

Can you imagine what they're all feeling? It's nerve wracking enough to go through Team Training and getting a new member to your family without all the drama of this horrific storm. My heart goes out to all of them and I give them a lot of kudo's for all they've going through. I congratulate them on their perseverance and their graduation with their new dogs.

CCI Staff actually stayed with them and with the dogs to assure all of their safety. A BIG THANK YOU to all at CCI who took such great care of the humans and the dogs.

Cindy, I'm so glad to hear that you didn't suffer any damage and that your family was safe.

I can't wait to hear from DKD and I hope that all is well for him and his family. I know he's without power and hope that he and his family aren't suffering too much with it all.

I send my prayers and best wishes to everyone in Sandy's path.

After watching the news and special broadcasts about the victims of Hurricane Sandy, I'm astounded at the devastation. The organization I work for is collecting money for the victims and I know there will be TV specials to also help.

The loss of life is so saddening and my prayers are with all the families who suffered the loss of a loved one. Especially to the family of the two little boys who were swept away from their mother's arms. So, unbearably sad!

After watching the news and special broadcasts about the victims of Hurricane Sandy, I'm astounded at the devastation. The organization I work for is collecting money for the victims and I know there will be TV specials to also help.

The loss of life is so saddening and my prayers are with all the families who suffered the loss of a loved one. Especially to the family of the two little boys who were swept away from their mother's arms. So, unbearably sad!

Isn't it just awful. Sometimes I have to turn off the tv. I saw that woman who lost her 2 adorable boys was on tv this morning. I can't even imagine.

Not that Katrina wasn't awful, but this is so close to home for us. I've been to some of these places. I've walked on that boardwalk in Atlantic City. I know people in these areas. Just makes me think of how blessed we were that it missed us.

Edited by rangeley

Isn't it just awful. Sometimes I have to turn off the tv. I saw that woman who lost her 2 adorable boys was on tv this morning. I can't even imagine.

Not that Katrina wasn't awful, but this is so close to home for us. I've been to some of these places. I've walked on that boardwalk in Atlantic City. I know people in these areas. Just makes me think of how blessed we were that it missed us.

Yes, you were lucky and I'm so glad. We send our love to all of you who had damage and loss.

We, too, walked that infamous Boardwalk and shared some wonderful memories with our children. In time it will be rebuilt so that many more families to come can enjoy it in the future.

We American's know how to "pull it together", rebuild and renew. We have a great spirit and immeasurable fortitude!

Yes, you were lucky and I'm so glad. We send our love to all of you who had damage and loss.

We, too, walked that infamous Boardwalk and shared some wonderful memories with our children. In time it will be rebuilt so that many more families to come can enjoy it in the future.

We American's know how to "pull it together", rebuild and renew. We have a great spirit and immeasurable fortitude!

To bad we only pull together when there's a tragedy. Then we forget about it and go back to treating eachother like crap. :(

Yeast infection in dogs are usually due to specific conditions of the immune system. Whether you are dealing with an overactive or underactive immune system, yeast infection, particularly the systemic type, is a major concern. Diagnosis is usually through cotton swabs which are examined under the microscope or cultured to isolate the pathogenic microorganism. If your service dog has that distinct smell, musty odor of the ears and stinky paws, then yeast infection is a possible problem.

Yeast infection in dogs are usually due to specific conditions of the immune system. Whether you are dealing with an overactive or underactive immune system, yeast infection, particularly the systemic type, is a major concern. Diagnosis is usually through cotton swabs which are examined under the microscope or cultured to isolate the pathogenic microorganism. If your service dog has that distinct smell, musty odor of the ears and stinky paws, then yeast infection is a possible problem.

Wow! Ollemisty, thanks so much for the information. Horton's ears are so much better, after just a few applications of the Ke Flo Dip Suspension. His ears didn't get to the smell bad point and his paws were never "stinky" but his Vet and the Vet at CCI did diagnose the problem as a "yeast" infection.

Both doctors used Otomax or Mometomax and although it "touched" the problem, it never really wiped it out like this Ke Flo does. While using the Vet's med's the redness and "dirt" like substance would reappear within a week or so. With the Ke Flo it doesn't seem to be reoccuring.

Horton has had no adverse reaction to the Ke Flo and it's so much easier to use in that it's not oily, it's milky and easy to wash away from my hands and his ear. My hands always felt like I'd dipped them into a bowl of oil when I was through applying the other antibiotic.

Yesterday we went to Fenway Park for a thank you from the Red Sox for selling dog cookies. It was so nice to be at the park when no one was there. We had some hors d'oeuvres and a tour of the park. It was great! Wex and I sat in the dugout, it was really special. I'll post a few pics when I get a chance. It was a beautiful day and we were like a bunch of kids in awe of this beautiful historic place. Something I will remember forever.

Cindy