Favorite Cruise Memory

I got to thinking about all the fun threads I've seen on this board. ;) And wondered if it would be interesting to see what people had to say their favorite cruise memory was. So what's yours?:rolleyes:

While it was sad it was my most favorite to date. The last day of our most recent cruise, coming in under the Golden Gate Bridge at sunrise. It's incredible. I have that picture as my background on my computer. :(

d

My favorite cruise memory would probably be my entire cruise to Alaska this past May. But to narrow it down, it would have to be the night we sailed out of Skagway. It was about 10:15 p.m., still light enough outside to be able to see well. We both were very tired so decided to turn in early. We opened the drapes, got into our beds and watched the most gorgeous scenery sailing by as we drifted off to sleep. Magical.

I loved my Panama canal cruise. My favourite memory was standing on Deck at 5:00 in the morning watching the container ships transiting the canal. All we could see were lights but we knew we were about to do something great. Pictures doin't do the canal justice. It was neat to hear the birds and monkeys in the background too:)

I have two favorite memories.

The first is simply our first few moments on board our first cruise. We walked on board the Century (Celebrity), and were led to our cabin by a woman wearing white gloves. Even though we were in one of the cheapest cabins (albeit with a porthole) down on deck 4, the experience at that moment left us feeling like we were important people on the ship.

The second is when we were on the Grand Princess. On this cruise, we were lucky to have been upgraded to a full suite right at the stern. We had a huge balcony, and the cabin was quite nice for the three of us.

We were already docked at some port (St. Maarten, I think). I was up early and I saw a Disney ship coming into the harbor. It was a hazy morning, and the light was just right so there was a rainbow going directly over the Disney ship like a shimmering upside-down U. I woke my son up to see this really neat sight. He sulked a bit and said, "Why do they get all the neat stuff?" :D

Pulling into San Juan PR on our recent Freedom cruise. It was like time traveling...... there was a thick haze on the sea as we approached the port..... we sailed right through and for a few moments you couldn't see anything but mist- then El Morro,the ancient fort,came looming into view. I was at the bow of the ship and everyone there let out an "OOOH" when we saw it...... it was a bit like suddenly coming upon a Pirates of the CAribbean scene..... unforgettable. It made me feel like a real sailor. I wondered how many people have seen that sight..;)

I think my favorite was on my very first cruise in June 2004. It was on the Sapphire Princess to Alaska, and it was my honeymoon. We were sailing out of Juneau at around 10pm, and hubby and I got in the outdoor spa pool and spent the evening there. We couldn't believe it was broad daylight out at 10pm, and we were swimming in a pool on a cruise ship! :)

It was Thursday, February 26, 1998 in the early afternoon. We were on the Windjammer Barefoot Cruises' flagship Fantome (the one that went down in Hurricane Mitch in October of that year). We were about 10 or so miles off the coast of Montserrat. We were there to see a total solar eclipse.

It was just a wonderful sight as the light faded and the air grew still. There were other ships in the area, but being on a sailing ship we had this incredible quiet. And then just as the sun went into total eclipse the volcano on Montserrat shot forth a huge plume of smoke.

It was simply magical.

my favorite cruise memory starts when we get on the ship- and ends as we get off on the last morning- every moment in between is my favorite cruise memory. too many to say just one thing- we are literally on cloud nine the whole time we are on a cruise- can't wait to be going in a month!

I think that my favorite cruise memory was when I was 12 and I met a bunch of people from Spain in the kids program. I'd never interacted with people outside the US and it was so refreshing and eye-opening to mingle with people from different parts of the world. I remember going to bed at night with Spanish accents in my head and thinking how cool it was that I met these people and most of my friends at home had never had that experience. I'll never forget all the friends I made that week, and not only that, but I remember that I was such a wake up call....that the world was so much bigger than just the United States, and I instantly realized that I had to discover the rest of the world throughout my life. I feel very fortunate that I got to experience that because many of my friends to this day have to not experienced other cultures, and that's one of my main reasons for traveling.

Realizing that the world is so much bigger than us is a great feeling, and cruises definitely let you experience that. Now cruises have a much more predominantly American feel, but you can still reach out and get outside our comfort zone. That, and the fact that you're on the ocean is what I love so much about cruising. No matter how comfortable I get in my own zone, I love knowing that there is so much more out there to explore and learn about.

Laura

On my first cruise, my now-husband was my family's waiter (I know what you're now thinking- rolling your eyes) My very favorite memory is of our 2nd date in King's Wharf, Bermuda we went to Club 21 and danced the night away, but then it poured rain on us on the way walking back to the ship we got soaked to the bone. But it was just so inexplicably romantic!

On my first cruise, my now-husband was my family's waiter (I know what you're now thinking- rolling your eyes) My very favorite memory is of our 2nd date in King's Wharf, Bermuda we went to Club 21 and danced the night away, but then it poured rain on us on the way walking back to the ship we got soaked to the bone. But it was just so inexplicably romantic!

Okay, that is really cool! :D

So do they let the waiters get off the ships and all when it isn't time for them to serve food? In other words, is all they do serve food on the ship and then the rest of the time is their own?

Çay girl, what a romantic story!!! ;) So you actually had a 'shipboard romance' so to speak. What a awesome thing.

For me (like many others I've read) it would have to be sitting out on my balcony watching the waves go by. There's something just so peaceful about it and calming to the soul. I love it!

On my first cruise (not counting the one when I was a baby), my sister and I did a Western Caribbean cruise. On the first sea day, a school of dolphins (about 40) followed the ship, playing in the wake. This being my first, I thought this was something that happened all the time.

I love dolphins, so I was thrilled.

I found out after many other cruises, that this was actually a rare thing. I've seen them only two other times, and not in the number as that first cruise.

Favorite memory on a cruise is probably seeing the Northern Lights in Alaska while on the Celebrity Mercury. This was undoubtedly our best cruise so far, a 9 day from Vancouver-Alaska-SF. So many highlights from cruising the glacier to flying to Mysty fjords to see grizzly feeding on salmon to dolphins & eagles. But one of the highlights was the Northern Lights.

"The last day of our most recent cruise, coming in under the Golden Gate Bridge at sunrise. It's incredible. I have that picture as my background on my computer." The above post was funny, because our home port is San Francisco and when we came in under the Golden Gate at the end of our Alaskan cruise the fog in Sept was so thick you couldn't see 50 yards & it was about 40 degrees outside.

Wow! My first and only cruise! The entire thing is an awesome memory...but what comes to mind right now is a rather simple thing. The 2nd sea day...Thursday...while the guys were off doing some sort of "man things" (3 couples traveled together) my girl cousins and I sat in the shade by the pool, reading our books...and the guy came by with our pina coladas...I thought "aahhh...this is good". I was totally relaxed at that moment...how I wish I had a photo!

Wow! My first and only cruise! The entire thing is an awesome memory...but what comes to mind right now is a rather simple thing. The 2nd sea day...Thursday...while the guys were off doing some sort of "man things" (3 couples traveled together) my girl cousins and I sat in the shade by the pool, reading our books...and the guy came by with our pina coladas...I thought "aahhh...this is good". I was totally relaxed at that moment...how I wish I had a photo!

Don't worry, I think I snapped one of you at that moment... is this what you are talking about???

Relaxing.jpg.da103d517c661fbef00a0abb4d59d16d.jpg

One from each line:

DCL: on our very first cruise we boarded (the whole "We welcome X family from Y" and clapping is very cool) and we went up one deck to go register for Palo. The area around the atrium was empty except for CAPTAIN MICKEY! My ds RAN over there and hugged him. This totally stands out as the "magic" that is a Disney cruise...

47b2cf05b3127cce9ebd3f8b9ab900000036108IasnLRw0Zo

RCCL: The entire Navigator cruise last October was great. We had cruised the Mariner before so we "knew" what to expect, everything worked out perfectly and I remember being thrilled/pleased with it all. I look back on that week as one long fabulous memory

We were on a transatlantic on Constellation in April 2005. The first memory was the evening we left St. Maarten for the 5-day crossing to Madeira. We were at dinner when the ship left the pier. The ship was facing out to sea at the pier. We watched out the window next to our table as the ship just glided away, quickly gaining speed to begin the crossing. As my grandmother would say, it was just "grand". :rolleyes:

Wesley

Archived