Just back from my TA's office

and priced balcony E1 stateroom on Voyager for 2/24/08. Her price with insurance included was almost $200 higher than listed on RCCL website without insurance. If I book directly with RCI will it be for the price listed on the website or does it vary depending on the stateroom( even if it's the same category)? I'm confused.:confused: Does anyone have insight into what the deal might be here?

Wow, go on the website a pretend book a cruise ,keep going until they want credit card info and you will see the bottom line. As long as room A and room B are in the same category then they are the same price. There can be two rooms right next door that are different categories though.

I have no idea why the TA's prices are higher. Also before you book with them ask them and get in WRITING.

1. Any cancellations fees

2. Do they honor ALL prices drops even after final payment (RCCL does) and if you get more than one drop will they honor it?

I always check the RCCL website price and then call RCCL to book. The price you see, though, does not include port charges and taxes - or insurance. Once you add those costs, the price might be closer to what the TA is telling you. Personally, I like having control of my booking rather than having to rely on a TA. Several times I've been able to get a rebate when the price drops, because I can monitor the price online and call RCCL. They've always been really good about it.

As a TA, it sounds to me like she included insurance, transfers or priced the wrong category.

RCI & Celebrity regulate the prices so that TAs cannot change the cruise lines' prices at all. Something had to be added on that you (and possibly her too) were not aware of at the time of the quote.

Royal and Celebrity control pricing in the sense that travel agents cannot discount a cruise.

On the other hand, they can incorporate a service fee if they are so inclined.

Also, both lines sometimes have "net rates" which are sold to a travel agent for resale with NO commission, and for which they may charge what they choose.

I am a TA - I say ask your TA to price it without the insurance and make sure both quotes include all the taxes and port charges. Unless she is charging a service fee of some type - you should have EXACTLY the same price (assuming the same category is priced - of course). Good Luck!:)

I also think you should speak to your TA and ask her why the price is higher. I always price out the cruise that I want to take and then book with my TA. Usually my TA charges a little bit less because of the agency she books it through. As others have suggested the price you were looking at might not include taxes and port fees.

I always check the RCCL website price and then call RCCL to book. The price you see, though, does not include port charges and taxes - or insurance. Once you add those costs, the price might be closer to what the TA is telling you.

Actually, the price of cruises shown on the RCI site DOES include port charges. It does not include taxes and fees. FEES are not the same as port charges.

Also, both lines sometimes have "net rates" which are sold to a travel agent for resale with NO commission, and for which they may charge what they choose.

Not that we've ever seen ... the RCI/Celebrity booking engine doesn't quote "net rates" ... the price is the same as going through the consumer website. If a TA adds a service fee, it has to be quoted/charged separately by the TA to the client's credit card.

Her price with insurance included was almost $200 higher than listed on RCCL website without insurance.

Well, as others have said, you're not comparing the same thing! Ask your TA for the price withOUT cruise line insurance. It will be EXACTLY the same as what is quoted on the RCCL website, I'm betting.

TAs are not allowed to discount pricing on RCCL. Some may have group space booked at a lower rate than current pricing, but by and large, you should see the same pricing if you are comparing EXACTLY the same thing.

Archived