What have you ever forgotten?

Copper_beeches

...my passport.

Yes, really. On my first cruise, I got to the airport, handed the check in person my driver's license and plane ticket and she asked me for my passport. My jaw dropped. :eek: I called my roommate to bring it...she drove two hours there, and I missed my flight...had to get the next one (but that was okay since the cruise didn't leave until the next day).

I will NEVER live that one down!

• 1 month later...

We were on the first night of a cruise once when a young couple approached us in obvious distress to ask it we or anyone we knew might have diapers that they could use until they could buy some. Their luggage was lost by the airline, and they had exhausted the supply that they had brought in their diaper bag. Unbelievably, the ship had none - none in shops, none in the infirmary, none in the kid's care groups. And the next day was a sea day. Boy did we feel sorry for them!

The last night on board you pack and put out your bags. Clothes for morning are left out for your last day aboard. My DH set aside jeans and a t-shirt for himself and I set out a jogging suit for me. The next morning a look of pure horror was on my husband's face as he struggled to get his legs into MY jeans.:eek: There was no way he would ever fit into them.:eek: Luckily the nylon jogging suit I had was a bit larger and he could just squeeze into it, if he did not sit down and did not put anything into the pockets. The second we got our bags after debarkation, he headed for the restroom to change. We now check the sizes for everything we take.

Also, after driving 24 hours to get to the pier (due to the great power failure last year) we found that we had left his passport, driver's licence and birth certificate somewhere between the car gate check in and the cruise terminal. We searched everywhere and the parking attendants also helped, but to no avail. Because I had pre-registered our embarkation forms, they let me sign for my husband and he had to travel at my side when in the ports. We found the documents one half hour into the drive back home on the side door pocket.:D

I forgot the typical it seems after reading everyone elses post. I forgot my underwear. You see I had been in Utah helping my Mom care for my Dad. Dad passed away on the 30th of June so my hubby flew out to Utah (from Washington) I had driven and would have gone home with enough time before the cruise. Well Dad's funeral was July 5th and our cruise was July 6th. We weren't going to go on the cruise but Mom said to go since there wasn't anything we could do if we didn't. So we drove straight home after the funeral. (16 hours) Had a few hours to wash the clothes and repack. So I did just that but left out the panties. At least there were a couple of pairs in the suitcase still. We searched and searched Juneau and had the hardest time finding a shop with them. Finally I found some very expensive plain cotton ones. Needless to say I won't forget them again.

After DW reminded me to check that the passports were prepared the night before our departure (check! all set!), I proceeded to leave them AT HOME the next morning when we headed to the airport. When we got to the airline checkin counter and they asked for IDs, my stomach dropped to the floor. Of course, we could get on the plane with our drivers' licenses, but the ship would be another story. So DW & our 2 kids flew down from BOS to FLL, I drove home to NH to fetch the documents, then back to Boston, where I caught the next flight down. Where I sat in first class! :p

After DW reminded me to check that the passports were prepared the night before our departure (check! all set!), I proceeded to leave them AT HOME the next morning when we headed to the airport. When we got to the airline checkin counter and they asked for IDs, my stomach dropped to the floor. Of course, we could get on the plane with our drivers' licenses, but the ship would be another story. So DW & our 2 kids flew down from BOS to FLL, I drove home to NH to fetch the documents, then back to Boston, where I caught the next flight down. Where I sat in first class! :p

Now that's a happy ending!

Forgetting the underwear - my husband doesn't own them - so that's not really a big deal. And no one will really know they are missing except you. Even the missing slip, not a huge problem. The wrong size pants would be for us, because my husband also does not own pajamas. Yes, he's a bit free-spirited. But fun!

Even with the most crucial things forgotten (OK, the forgotten passports or birth certificates would still be a really big problem.) if you made it on the ship, all else can be fixed.

The poor couple with no diapers. That is a pretty serious problem for them too. You would think the ship would have had some in the kid's camp.

Thanks for all the stories. Good reading. And it let's us all realize that we are not alone. We all forget things.

We leave in 9 days!!!

Kathy

• 3 weeks later...

Family was all excited about our first cruise, packed a week ahead of time. Checked and rechecked the list. Got to the ship, started filming with our brand new video camera. Battery light comes on.....can't recharge it. Packed it away for the remainder of the cruise. Good time not video to show family.

Even will all the lists I make of things to pack for a cruise, I have forgotten a sweater, that I use when it's cold at nite in the theatre. My DH forgot a casual pair of shoes this past time in Dec. We were spending time beforehand in the LA area, so we went over to a Macy's, & he bought another pair.

Minette

• 4 months later...

I cruised with my sister, her hubby and his brother who is a good friend of mine. The brother met us in Mass after taking a redeye flight from soemwhere in Asia and packed in about 30 minutes, drove with us to CT flew to San Juan and got on the ship with us. First formal night he shows up in the dining room with two different shoes on. At least they were one left and one right! No one cared but we still laugh about it.

Some people we met also had the airlines lose their luggage. They were one girl and 3 guys. It was a 7 day cruise and they did not get their suitcases til they got home. Luckily our group had 4 girls and some of us had brought brand new clothes so we even had brand new underwear and pantyhose to give to her. She borrowed dresses and makeup on formal night. We all had a great time and still keep in touch.

I too forgot my undershorts . And guess what it was a struggle to find any on the Islands we were visiting and there were none in the ships store either. I would have to wash one pair i was wearing daily until our second Island stop wher i found two pair very overpriced but dearly appreciated. Whenever the talk goes to vacations of course my wife and family always bring the subject up

• 3 weeks later...

with friends on our first cruise together, our buddy proudly whips out his photographer grade camera which was just fixed and proceeds to take shot after shot, 4 rolls later, 3 days in, he develops the film on the ship.

all the pics were black... he tought it wasn't fixed right. last day of the cruise he's still monkey'in with that dang thing and realized...

he forgo tHOW to LOAD the film!

also, after our last cruise with 3 days no luggage.... everyone shold know that many ships do NOT sell unmentionables (undies). so you might add a few to the carry on.:eek:

ps. the x-ray machines DID ruin 3 family members rolls of film in the disposable cameras. our group of 10, had only our digital pics, which we gladly burned. ya might consider putting 'em in checked luggage or developing on ship.

• 2 weeks later...

This was a long time ago but I left with out my birth control pills! I was in a panic..was waiting outside the ship's doctor's door when he opened after sailing....he gave me a big smile, opened up a cabinet and low and behold..every kind of birth control pill known to women! What a relief!

We were on the first night of a cruise once when a young couple approached us in obvious distress to ask it we or anyone we knew might have diapers that they could use until they could buy some. Their luggage was lost by the airline, and they had exhausted the supply that they had brought in their diaper bag. Unbelievably, the ship had none - none in shops, none in the infirmary, none in the kid's care groups. And the next day was a sea day. Boy did we feel sorry for them!

That poor couple! Terrible!

On our first cruise with the kids I was so nervous I would forget something that I made checklist. As I finished packing each bag I would lock it. When we got on board and into our room I realized I locked the key to each suitcase it the case. :o My DH was so mad! It took our room steward about 30 minutes to break all the locks on each case. Now I make a checklist that includes DON'T PACK KEYS IN LUGGAGE:)

Family was all excited about our first cruise, packed a week ahead of time. Checked and rechecked the list. Got to the ship, started filming with our brand new video camera. Battery light comes on.....can't recharge it. Packed it away for the remainder of the cruise. Good time not video to show family.

That reminds me of the story of my future father in law on the family trip to Disney World. He kept pressing the "off" button every time he wanted to turn the camera "on", and vice versa, so the only footage they have of Disney World is the ground, shot when he thought the camera was "off"!

• 3 weeks later...

ps. the x-ray machines DID ruin 3 family members rolls of film in the disposable cameras. our group of 10, had only our digital pics, which we gladly burned. ya might consider putting 'em in checked luggage or developing on ship.

A bit of advice: NEVER put shot or unexposed film in checked luggage. The X-ray machines they use on checked luggage are about 200 times stronger than the security line machines. They are almost guaranteed to ruin it.

I'm a little surprised those ruined your film; airport security swears they won't. I guess, if you want to be certain, get them developed before you get off the ship!

Barb

• 1 month later...

Like many ships do the last night of the cruise, you must put all your luggage out to be collected by midnight. We laid out our clothes for the next morning and set the luggage out. The next morning we showered and dressed and we were heading out to breakfast when I realized I had forgot to leave out any shoes!! I had to leave the ship and go through the Vancouver airport barefoot!!! How embarassing!:o Luckily at the airport I was able to find a shop that I paid an extremely high price for a simple pair of sandals to get home with, that I have never worn again! That is something I will never forget again!!!