Eurodam is taking shape

Copper10-8

Let's see ... I can pay a couple of thousand dollars, per-person, for a cruise ... or I can go free and preach/preside at the Eucharist for my room and board. Which do I choose? $$$$$ or Free Cruise?? Hard choice.

:D

As for the "whooping" and "hollering" ... uh ... John ... it's the Holland America Line. The old codgers go to sleep at 11 pm ... remember??? :D ;)

Nice work if you can get it ;)

I wonder if they've modified those cabins... makes no sense not to have the windows - so there should be eight... :confused:

We're sticking with the good old Rotterdam Deck for now, though I do like the idea of the curved balconies they are putting in above.

And P&O

The first time I saw the Arcadia I thought she was a Vista. She's definitely based on the Vista hull.

Arcadia is "the lost Vista" - she was to be number 4 of 5 Vistas for HAL before her hull was transferred to Cunard as the original Queen Victoria - then when Cunard decided that a Vista wasn't up to snuff for their fleet, they transferred her again to P&O to become Arcadia.

(I have a pic of Noordam and Arcadia on Barbados together somewhere...)

I wonder if they've modified those cabins... makes no sense not to have the windows - so there should be eight... :confused:

We're sticking with the good old Rotterdam Deck for now, though I do like the idea of the curved balconies they are putting in above.

Hi Laura,

Greetings from London!

I've not been following CC in the past few months. Not enough hours in the day!

On the question of the missing windows.... they have just not got around to cutting them out of the steel bulkhead. Sometimes the steel is errected with the openings already cut out... sometimes not.

I'm in full production mode here.... working on two of the paintings for EURODAM... plus the Delft tableau of the HALVE MAEN. What a job! Could not get tiles that I wanted so I had to 'make my own'. I spent two days rolling out lumps of clay and shaping them into tiles!

Best,

Stephen

Hi Laura,

Greetings from London!

I've not been following CC in the past few months. Not enough hours in the day!

On the question of the missing windows.... they have just not got around to cutting them out of the steel bulkhead. Sometimes the steel is errected with the openings already cut out... sometimes not.

I'm in full production mode here.... working on two of the paintings for EURODAM... plus the Delft tableau of the HALVE MAEN. What a job! Could not get tiles that I wanted so I had to 'make my own'. I spent two days rolling out lumps of clay and shaping them into tiles!

Best,

Stephen

Stephen -

Good to hear from you, - I can't wait to see the artwork on Eurodam - I'm especially pleased to hear you are involved to such degree. :) We are very much looking forward to seeing all you've been up to!

Thanks for the info on the windows - that makes sense, I didn't think of it... thanks for checking in with us.

Are you joining us on the inaugural?

Capt. Card - I was SO excited when I saw your post!!! Haven't seen you on the boards here in ages & have been wondering what you've been up to - cruising, painting, fishing...... Just yesterday I mentioned to my John that I should start a thread asking after you.

Sure hope you'll be joining us next summer for E-dam's inaugural. It will be wonderful to see you & your work on that ship. :)

Stephen--

Good to finally hear from you, and thanks for clearing up "The Mystery of the Missing Windows*"

I never would have imagined that they would cut the window openings after installing the module atop the ship, as it would seem so much simpler and safer to do so when the steel plate is flat on the plasma cutting table (if I have the piece of machinery correct) before bending the steel and assembling the module on the ground.

* And I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for those meddling kids...

I never would have imagined that they would cut the window openings after installing the module atop the ship,
Maybe it's my imagination, but if I look hard at the port side SZ cabin area I think I do see some faint rectangular shapes ... like the holes are there but temporarily blocked, maybe. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Maybe it's my imagination, but if I look hard at the port side SZ cabin area I think I do see some faint rectangular shapes ... like the holes are there but temporarily blocked, maybe. :confused: :confused: :confused:

I don't see any on the forward bulkhead but I do see a trio of openings on the port side ahead of the balcony - is this what you're referring to?

It looks to me that the forward end of that deck is much more squared off than the deckplans show - I was thinking that it might be to better accomodate the bathroom module and furnishings?

I don't see any on the forward bulkhead but I do see a trio of openings on the port side ahead of the balcony - is this what you're referring to?
No, I meant on the forward bulkhead, and now that I've greatly enlarged that area I can see that I was just imagining some lines.

I agree that the plan diagram shows a much more curved area than the picture appears to show. We'll just have to wait and see.

I find it disappointing that the forward corner SZ suites on Deck 10 will have no forward facing windows...

...without any forward facing windows, no jacuzzi tub and a smaller verandah than is typical for that category, I find little reason to spend the additional money for either of them.

Brian, Could it be the windows are covered over or protected? Other photos of ships being built I have seen show the windows covered or protected for when they are painting the ship etc.

Sorry I posted this before I saw Prinsendams reply.

It looks to me that the forward end of that deck is much more squared off than the deckplans show - I was thinking that it might be to better accomodate the bathroom module and furnishings?

Guys,

On google.com 'images' there is a computer generated view of EURODAM that shows only the four windows. Mystery! They could be waiting to be cut out or perhaps there has been a change in the plans. Without the forward facing windows those corner suites will be rather 'ordinary'. I'll see what I can find out.

Stephen

Guys,

On google.com 'images' there is a computer generated view of EURODAM that shows only the four windows. Mystery! They could be waiting to be cut out or perhaps there has been a change in the plans. Without the forward facing windows those corner suites will be rather 'ordinary'. I'll see what I can find out.

O Captain!

Actually, that computer-generated image is found on HAL's website under the Fleet page for the Eurodam. It, and the photo showing the same 4 windows but no foward windows for those two suites, is what occasioned Brian's (and my) questions on this matter.

THANK YOU, sir, for checking!

Archived