Upgrades at Pier

We've had the opportunity twice, took them up on it once.

We turned them down on going from a FOV to a CS on Millennium for our Med cruise. We liked the idea of going from a FOV to a suite, but didn't like giving up our balcony. So we didn't.

We did upgrade from a 2A to a FOV on Millennium for our SA cruise.

That's it though. Most of our other cruises have been booked "solid" supposedly.

Most cruiselines close out bookings about 3 days in advance of the cruise. Usually within the last few days the cruiselines don't even allow changing of cabins. Then again, rules are meant to be broken and we all know that everytime you call a cruiseline with the same question, you will most likely get a different answer.

Joe

For those of you that did upgrade at pier, does the luggage gets to the correct room for you? I assume that this luggages are checked in before the rooms are upgraded right? Is that a hassel that i should be aware of when upgrading rooms?

Your luggage is checked as soon as you arrive at the pier and you only find out about any available upgrade after you check in. We were able to upgrade only once and our luggage did go to the original cabin even though we were assured by our cabin steward that it would not. My dh had to retreive it.

We were in Concierge Class balcony cabin on Infinity Alaska cruise and I asked if any upgrades and it was 400.00 total to go from balcony to Sky Suite. It had been running 800.00 more per person every time we checked their website, so at 200.00 more person we jumped on it.

For those of you that did upgrade at pier, does the luggage gets to the correct room for you? I assume that this luggages are checked in before the rooms are upgraded right? Is that a hassel that i should be aware of when upgrading rooms?

To be honest, we didn't wait for a problem. As soon as we saw the luggage in the holding area on deck 10 we grabbed our own. It saved any problems. We've changed cabin late in the process and found our luggage sitting at another door. We've choosen to be pro-active now rather than re-active and usually find our luggage ourselves as soon as well see it arriving on the deck we are staying on.

Out of seven cruises-never been able to upgrade-the "Sign" is always out stating: "Sailing Full-No Upgrades Available".:eek:

That sign is usually up at the pursers desk (guest services desk) onboard,and I suspect it is primarily to discourage inquiries once you are onboard. At the pier, however, the pier coordinator can, if they are available, offer you upgrades. The cost can make it less desirable than it once was and only once (shortly after 9/11) were we able to upgrade at a very reasonable price - from a D1 to an OS for $200 on Explorer of the Seas.:) The next time we sailed they were asking for $600 to upgrade from a D1 to any suite (including JS).:( I'd still recommend asking to see the pier coordinator when you are checking in. The worst they can do is say that there is nothing available or that the upgrade price is more than you are willing to pay. ;)

Everytime we sail, it seems the ship is full! (I'd love to cruise on an "underfilled" ship sometime!) We always book a JS--so really aren't interested in anything larger--that suits the 2 of us just fine! Now, if they GAVE us an upgrade, I wouldn't turn it down, but so far, that hasn't happened!

August 2002 on AOS out of San Juan, we were upgraded to an Owners Suite at no additional cost. Yes, our luggage went to our original cabin and it took us approx. an hour to get it, but once we saw the OS, we could care less!

I was spoiled after that. Sailing out of FOS on Sunday in a JS and probably wishful thinking to expect lightening to strike twice. :)

We were able to upgrade at the pier in Barcelona also... September of 2004. Like the other poster stated, it cost money. I don't know of any that are free anymore. But it was WAY cheaper than it would have been. It was a very nice surprise! Our luggage made it's way to our new room...no problems at all.

Hello, NECG (Bill)... How are you??? And your lovely wife!!! We miss cruising with you!! I'm leaving the old shallow water sailor home this December and taking mom on the Mariner for her 75th birthday! Can you beleive she has never sailed on a Voyager Class ship? I hope you are both doing well... We miss sailing with you! Actually Robert retired after almost 30 years with the Coast Guard... and we've been busy this year.. so my December cruise with mom will be the first one in 2007 --- hmmm something wrong here!

Oh... upgrades... hmmm... we have gotten a couple of good upgrades since we've become Diamond Plus... I think most of the upgrades (if there are any) are handed out to Diamond Plus before the sail date... but that is a guess on my part!

Taking Mom on a 75th Birthday Cruise – Mariner, December 2, 2007

Sovereign of the Seas, 10/95, Eastern

Fantasy, 4/96, Nassau

Dolphin IV, 12/96, Nassau

Ocean Breeze, 12/97, Western

Dawn Princess, 9/98, Alaska

Grandeur of the Seas, 10/00, Southern

Sovereign of the Seas, 12/7/00, Nassau

Radiance of the Seas, 4/1/01

Fascination, 8/24/01, Nassau

Radiance of the Seas, 9/8/01, Alaska

Summit, 9/01

Sovereign of the Seas, 11/15-18/01, Nassau

Carnival Pride, 1/9-12/02, Nassau

Rhapsody of the Seas, 1/26-2/02/02, Western

NCL Star, 6/9-16/02, Hawaii

Brilliance of the Seas, 9/8-15/02, Transatlantic

NCL Majesty, 11/22-25/02, Nassau

Navigator of the Seas, 1/11-18/03, Eastern

Sovereign of the Seas, 2/27-3/2/03, Nassau

Sovereign of the Seas, 5/8-11/03, Nassau

Sovereign of the Seas, 5/15-18/03, Nassau

Serenade of the Seas, 8/4-11/03, Inaugural Transatlantic

Sovereign of the Seas, 8/31-9/4/03, Nassau

Mariner of the Seas, 11/16/03, Inaugural Eastern

Sovereign of the Seas, 12/03, Nassau

Sovereign of the Seas, 3/29/04, Nassau, Owner’s Suite

Jewel of the Seas, 6/9/04, Russia & Scandinavia

Jewel of the Seas, 9/1/04, Europe/Transatlantic, Grand Suite

Sovereign of the Seas, 10/8-11/2004, Nassau

NCL, Star, 11/04, Mexican Riverara

Sovereign of the Seas, 12/24/04, Nassau, Upgraded to the Royal Suite

Sovereign of the Seas, 1/3/05, Nassau, Royal Suite

Empress of the Seas, 4/29/05, repo San Juan-FLL, Owner’s Suite

Enchantment, 8/29/05

Celebrity Millennium, 12/2/2005

Sovereign of the Seas, 12/22/05, Royal Suite

Celebrity Century, 1/8/06

Grandeur of the Seas, 2/6/2006, Western, Royal Suite

Freedom of the Seas, May 2006, pre-Inaugural

It wasn’t on RCCL but on HAL. Showed up in Vancouver for our Alaska cruise.

The agent checking us in at the pier was typing in our info at the computer and stopped and said, “that’s strange”. Of course panic hit me and said “oh no, what is the matter”? She said that the ship is completely full but somehow you have been upgraded from an inside cabin to an OV. I asked, "do we owe more money"? She said, “no not at all, but I just never seen this with a sold out ship”.

So, I guess we were truly blessed on that cruise because it was one of the best cruises we ever had;) .

John

Archived