Friday Morning Rant

bmweezer

Question - do people complain on the Princess board more than on the other cruise boards? I don't spend time on the other boards and am just curious if there are more complaints from Princess passengers. :confused:

Spingal,

I don't know whether people complain more on Princess boards or not, but a few years ago, we took a cruise on HAL. By the time we left for the trip, I was dreading it because of stuff read on the HAL board. I thought we were going to have a horrible time on a terrible ship.

So, we got on the ship and . . . it was wonderful! We had a blast. The ship was nice, the food great, service excellent, etc. We would do it again.

I guess my point is that there are negative reviews about things everywhere. Sometimes people have a good point, sometimes not. Personally, I can truthfully say that we have never had a bad cruise, although some were better than others.

Ohiodoglover

For a new cruiser or one who is using Princess for the first time I think one of the best places to read and be able to stay positive and be excited is your roll call. Usually they are a mixture of those who have cruised with Princess before and those who are new. Why would someone book another cruise and spend thousands of dollars if they didn't like it the first time? They wouldn't. The roll call is the most positive and I think the most accurate information you'll get about your sailing and Princess in general. On these main boards (for any cruise line) those who like to complain tend to do just that.

Oh thank-you, thank-you, thank-you bmweezer! This thread needs to be required reading and understanding by all first time Princess cruisers and by anyone intending on posting a negative thread hear on CC.

Rob (spongerob) posted a good thread just the other day wondering if the people who posted here on CC really sailed on Princess. He, and a whole lot of others, attested to the fact that most, if not all, of the people encountered on a Princess cruise were personable, courteous and rational most unlike some posters on this board.

Sure there are lots of little things that could go wrong on any cruise - but anything less than not being on the ship really is just the "stuff" life if made of. Something about - "life is what happens when you are busy making other plans". Deal with it and get over it please!

Now admit it.

If it wasn't for the whining cruisers you'd have nothing to whine about.:rolleyes:

How many people simply love to flame the whiners?

Remove the threads about negative experiences and there is a lot less to read. Nobody reads the papers and watches the news for the good events. It's the disasters that are newsworthy, especially if the disasters affect someone you don't like.:eek:

Question - do people complain on the Princess board more than on the other cruise boards? I don't spend time on the other boards and am just curious if there are more complaints from Princess passengers. :confused:

Lately it sure seems like there has been alot of complaining. Mostly I sail Princess but I have been on Celebrity and of course I go over there and believe you me there are those kinds of people there too. I truly think that every cruiseline has them.

Marilyn

We will be sailing on Emerald Princess 3 weeks today and this will be our first cruise with Princess and only our second cruise. I have read lots of tips on here and useful advice and guess what - I've learnt about towel animals - now I know what has been missing from my life! I stop and think how lucky we are to be able to take holidays as some folks can't because of illness or financial reasons. Our tickets came today for our cruise and until I step on that huge ship I won't believe I am going - the photos I've seen on here were truly amazing! I will give a review on our return and I don't think I will be disappointed.

event.png

Well said. You'll find the complainers everywhere: on ships, at work, at home. It's their general attitude and it won't change. Personally, when reading reviews, I always read the worst ones first. In some cases, the complaint is justified, but most times the person's attitude gets in the way of his/her satisfaction.

Now admit it.

If it wasn't for the whining cruisers you'd have nothing to whine about.:rolleyes:

How many people simply love to flame the whiners?

Remove the threads about negative experiences and there is a lot less to read. Nobody reads the papers and watches the news for the good events. It's the disasters that are newsworthy, especially if the disasters affect someone you don't like.:eek:

C2C - Speak for only yourself please. I couldn't disagree with you more.

C2C - Speak for only yourself please. I couldn't disagree with you more.

I never implied that I was speaking for you..

only that some people will respond to a negative post by attacking the poster rather than underlying concerns.

A good example is the thread:

"10 reasons why:"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=615058

How many comments were made about point #10 the "towel animals" and how many about the serious problem.. having a flight booked through the cruise company in the mistaken view that the Cruiseline will take care of you.

I loved Esprit's comeback on this thread because he mentioned something positive: I'm looking forward to Dancing on Emerald Princess.

As you can see from past cruises, we are now avid Princess cruisers. Going again this fall on the Emerald. We have encounted many complainers in the past. We always shrug them off as being just downright miserable people. How can you not have fun on a cruise? It's all in what you make of it. I'm on vacation, and I'm going to have a good time!! Next year, I am planning a group cruise with 14 of our friends. Kind of a reunion cruise with people I grew up with. There is one person in our group that is the type to complain about everything. (dinnerware is dirty, food not hot enough, etc) I believe they do it on purpose to see what they can get for free. Believe it or not, there are people out there that do this. Well, I've already said, if she starts in on her complaining, I'm just going to have it out with her and tell her to cool it. We're all on vacation here, no sense in complaining, you're not going to get anything for free, and be done with it. Then we'll see how she reacts. Sorry, but can't put up with people with negative attitudes, especially if it's ruining my fun. Enough said.:mad:

As you can see in my signature block, we've cruised Carnival twice and will be on our first Princess cruise in two months. I have no complaints about Carnival and doubt I'll have any about Princess. My expectations are this is my vacation, but I am not the only one on the ship, which seems to be most complainers problem, which shows itself in their behavior and their children's while on board. They expect the cruise line to be there for them only. My experience on Carnival was, that the crew was friendly, helpful, and not out to ruin anyone's day. Some people are friendlier than others, but that's life. I expect Princess to be the same. I also agree some people complain solely to see what they can get in return. I'm amazed at how many posts I've seen from people expecting a free cruise or a large on board credit because they had a minor issue and then ranting about how horrid the cruiselines are. Remember, every "free" thing you get, the cost gets passed on to everyone!

I have yet been on a vacation that something happened that wasn't to my liking - but geez, roll with the punches!

You are so right about habitual complainers - some people will nitpick to find something wrong.

I didn't think the food on Princess was that great, but believe me - I always found something to eat. Unfortunately, I compare all cruise food to Celebrity's, which was the best food I've ever had on a cruise. But no one starves - there is still plenty to eat if you don't care for what you ordered.

Cruising today is cheaper than it was 30 or 40 years ago. To keep it inexpensive, cruise lines have the add ons - booze, spa, etc. If I don't choose to use those amenities, I'm happy I don't have to pay for them. I don't think I'd want to pay more for a cruise to have amenities that I don't use anyway.

This was a great post.

As I wrote earlier, "Towel animals? Seriously???"

Anyhow, sure, there are going to be legitimate complaints...as with any product or service out there, but people need to be reasonable and realistic. I think that's the point.

Personally, I've had two less than positive experiences with Princess, both more or less involving their customer service, which I do feel leaves much to be desired. However, as I'm getting ready for my 4th trip & have a 5th booked, I still feel they have a very good product and am obviously continuing to sail them!

I have yet been on a vacation that something happened that wasn't to my liking - but geez, roll with the punches!

This was a great post.

Yours was. Expect the unexpected. Remember the journey without tabulating the agony of every pothole you encounter along the way.

Can you imagine getting on a ship - any ship - with its beautiful interior, a large theater to entertain us, a beautiful dining room to feed us till we can't walk, someone to clean our rooms the moment we leave them, deck chairs to lay on all day if we want to do absolutely nothing, and different places to see when we do hit land - can you imagine complaining about anything? I know we appreciate all the services we receive onboard. Sometimes it is great, sometimes not as great, but it is still "a day on the ocean being catered to" and we love it.

Amen.

4. Animal towels. Princess doesn't do it. They don't. Grow up.

Speaking just for me, I am indifferent to towel animals. But that topic has come up a lot recently from others. Smoking, kids on cruise, jeans in the dining room are safe at the top of the list of hot button topics. But from all the comments lately, the lack of towel animals might start inching it's way up the list.:)

I check these boards nearly every day thanks to having 2 Princess cruises scheduled in the next nine months. As someone who has never cruised with Princess before (but have with RCCL), coming here often and reading about everything gets my wife and I excited about our next trip. However, I got to tell you: from what I read, Princess is either the worse cruise line in the world, or many people are simply #1 complainers. I truly believe it is PEOPLE ARE COMPLAINERS. :)

As the saying goes, a 'bad' day on vacation is always better than a good day at work. A lot of these posters need to get a grip and just weigh and pros and cons associated with MOST cruise lines and continue with their day.

Comments from me about many comments on these boards:

1. Food: If you order something that isn't to your liking, it doesn't make Princess food terrible, rather it makes the choice you've made the wrong one. Order something else.

2. Cost of ice cream, the Sanctuary, specialty restaurants, etc. If you don't like what the company has chosen to charge you on something, don't buy it. Same goes with alcohol purchases. If a 15 percent tip is unacceptable to you, drink water.

3. Embarkation. It sucks, on each cruise line. It has been my experience (again, talking about RCCL here), that from about 3 p.m. on on the day before you leave the ship, the feelings onboard changes and it does look like the crew is 'moving on' to the next group of people coming. Expect it and relax.

4. Animal towels. Princess doesn't do it. They don't. Grow up.

Just a few rants. I'm looking forward to our upcoming trips on the Crown and the Caribbean, and the good and the bad that will surely come with it.

I totally agree with you! Also, I think you will enjoy your cruise on the Crown....My husband and I was on her last October and it was a wonderful cruise! We were on the Dawn the year before. This November we will be on the Diamond Princess to Hawaii....I can't wait! Guess you can tell we love Princess! Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

NOT: Ice cream...you forgot 24-hour ice cream...because apparently there simply IS NOT enough food available...LOL

I know, don't get me started on that. I remember a post where some lady was talking about how she couldn't wait to get to some port because of all the yummy food she was going to have at the port that day. Sheeesh, I end up eating way too much and gaining weight on these cruises as is even if I starve myself totally while we are on dry land in the ports!

Can't agree more! Well said and I concur with everything you've stated. My wife and I have cruised just two times - both on Princess. We're leaving on October 4 for Hawaii on the Diamond and we can't wait.

Imagine owning a business where you have a confined space, 2,500 to 3,000 thousand customers in that confinded space and 1,000 employees. If you've owned a business whether you have 10 employees or 10,000, there will be employees who know how to give good service, excellent service, and those who don't understand what "customer service" is. I think it is commendable how many things go right and a relatively low number of things that go wrong.

Customers (read that cruisers in this instance) cause a majority of their own problems by acting like jerks with their high demands and impatience. I really believe there are few crew members who wake up in the morning and say to themselves, "What can I do to screw up a cruiser's day?" If you hired a 1,000employees, would you get a thousand 100%ers? NO. If you hire 10, you're lucky to get 1-100%er. I always marvel at the fact that cruise ship employees work many months at a time, face direct customer contact for 10 to 12 hours per day, and repeat the same processes and procedures days at a time with little relaxation. And, they do it with smiles, "yes/no, sir/ma'am" while dealing with wonderful and difficult people all day and night. Could these "complainers" handle even a limited exposure to the same elements?

If you're on vacation and something goes wrong, just remain calm, ask for assistance politely, and things pretty much take care of themselves. If you're not satisfied, go up line to the next level in a calm and respectful manner - it does wonders!

Sorry to ramble on, but it just galls me that people are so rude and selfish. Enjoy the experience and thank your lucky stars that you can afford a small lap of luxury. Revel in the atmosphere that few people in this world will ever experience.

Jim

Hi....my husband and I are taking this same cruise Nov. 18th....would love to hear all about it when you get back! I can't wait! Hope you have a great trip.

Archived