in suite safes for jewels, cash, docs

winemistress45

Do we have in room safes for our docs, passports, jewels and cash?

Or is there a central safe deposit area on board?

As someone said, Yes to both.

I gotta mention what happened on our last cruise. Upon boarding, my wife was "fiddling around with" the in cabin safe, and somehow locked it. I figured no big deal, just ask the room steward to have it reopened. Well, it took several hours, and two or three folks to open that safe! And the forms: I had to sign, our steward had to sign, etc. So, I feel pretty good that the in cabin safes are secure. I've never even heard of anyone having theft from a cabin safe. They are not the biggest, but they are fine for a couple of camera, wallets, personal jewelry, etc.

I'm assuming you might be new to cruising, if not just ignore this. Most of the in cabin safes either open with a card like a credit card that has encoding on them. The "Cruise card" you get when you board will NOT work (they tell you). Some safes lock with a series of numbers you key in. Although I think it's very unlikely that the number coded on a credit card could be taken, I use a non-credit card whenever possible. That seems to work about half the time.

I have never used the Purser's (front desk) safe, but if I had a lot of cash I'd probably use it instead of the one in the cabin.

When on the Noordam, I returned to the cabin a few times to find I hadn't properly locked the safe. Be sure to push it all the way closed before imputting the combination numbers.

As far as jewelry, when leaving the ship, I am pretty careful not to wear jewelry to attract attention in ports. Better safe than sorry.

For the safes which require a credit card to close and open, any card with a magnetic strip will work fine. We always use a charge card from an old department store which is now out of business. We don't use a credit card as we want to lock those cards in the safe. ;)

For the safes which require you select your own code, just enter any four digit code of your choice.

I, personally, do not recall ever reading/hearing any credible story of anyone ever missing something from their safe on an HAL ship.

PaperSniper4

On a couple of ships, we have had batteries die in the safe which meant they could not be opened until maintenance came.

Just on our recent Maasdam cruise, we had problems getting the safe opened again. But this time it was not the batteries -- the motor died and had to be replaced.

We did not have to sign any forms or papers any time.

• 9 months later...
For the safes which require a credit card to close and open, any card with a magnetic strip will work fine. We always use a charge card from an old department store which is now out of business. We don't use a credit card as we want to lock those cards in the safe. ;)

For the safes which require you select your own code, just enter any four digit code of your choice.

I, personally, do not recall ever reading/hearing any credible story of anyone ever missing something from their safe on an HAL ship.

I personally have had items stollen out of my safe while on a HAL ship. This is very much a credible story and one that has kept me away from my love of cruising. There were paint chips from someone trying to "break in". Money and one necklace were stollen. We then later found out someone entered the room using my key card (can be replaced at the neptune) and entered my PH cabin while I was at dinner. I had MANY people come to my aid in regards to where I was at that time. There was NO WAY I entered my room when the security log said I did. I felt very unsafe after this took place. HAL did NOTHING except send me a letter saying they would investigate further but it was not likely that I would receive an answer as to WHO could have done this. It was clear it was an employee of HAL but WHO is the question and still is. This happen towards the end of the cruise and my last day was spent with every officer trying to discuss what happened as well as fellow "friends" from CC. I have never posted this before because of the response I might receive, but I NEEDED to after seeing your post. I hope what happened to me never happens to anyone but there are some things that I am sure even the closest people to the HAL corporation don't know about.

I personally have had items stollen out of my safe while on a HAL ship. This is very much a credible story and one that has kept me away from my love of cruising. There were paint chips from someone trying to "break in". Money and one necklace was stollen. We then later found out someone entered the room using my key card (can be replaced easily at the neptune) and entered my PH cabin while I was at dinner. I had MANY people come to my aid in regards to where I was at that time. There was NO WAY I entered my room when the security log said I did. I felt very unsafe after this took place. HAL did NOTHING except send me a letter saying they would investigate further but it was not likely that I would receive an answer as to WHO could have done this. It was clear it was an employee of HAL but WHO is the question and still is. This happen towards the end of the cruise and my last day was spent with every officer trying to discuss what happened as well as fellow "friends" from CC. I have never posted this before because of the response I might receive, but I NEEDED to after seeing your post. I hope what happened to me never happens to anyone but there are some things that I am sure even the closest people to the HAL corporation don't know about.

I see that you are new -- Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I am baffled as to how someone could have gotten an ID card in the Neptune Lounge for your PH. The concierges know everyone by sight and they would not have given a new ID card to just anyone. Your picture is in the system. The concierges can pull up your picture to verify that it is you asking for a new card.

Before you vacate your cabin at the end of the cruise, make sure you run your hand very carefully around the interior of the safe to make sure there is nothing left behind. The safe will be on a high shelf in a dark closet so it would be easy to overlook an item if you don't do the check.

I left everything in our safe, passports, jewelry, etc. and nothing ever went missing. I used a 4 number combination, always made sure it was closed tight. I felt very safe with my valubles. We even left our cameras on the desk and nothing was moved out of position.

I am not new to CC but made a new screen name so I could post a response. It was clear after seeing the reports that a duplicate card was made but I NEVER requested one. The safe and the surrounding areas were searched by staff thinking that it could have fell in the back. Between the paint chips and the way we found the safe it was clear that this was a "break in". Very sad but VERY true!

I am not new to CC but made a new screen name so I could post a response. It was clear after seeing the reports that a duplicate card was made but I NEVER requested one. The safe and the surrounding areas were searched by staff thinking that it could have fell in the back. Between the paint chips and the way we found the safe it was clear that this was a "break in". Very sad but VERY true!

Maybe my previous post sounded like I was replying to your story of your theft. That was not the case, I was just expressing a thought that occured to me when the OP asked about the safes. In retrospect, I should have quoted her so you would not think I was doubting your story. That was a most puzzling situation. I am sorry you could not get to the bottom of it.

I agree with KK's statements that the concierges know their "PS" and "S" guests by name and face and in the event by some strange circumstance they did not know you, they absolutely would have called up your name to see your photo on their computer screen.

The concierges know our names and faces as soon as we board. During embarkation they check to see as Suite guests have their embarkation photos taken and they know what you look like before you ever get to Neptune Lounge. This is true on "S" and "R" class ships. Possibly not so on Vista as there are more of us.

When 'someone' requested a new key card, she would have seen your face in the computer did not match who was standing in front of her.

Also....... Why did you register a new name to post to this thread? Isn't that against CC rules? I think we are only permitted one post name per person.

All that aside...... whatever happened I'm sorry you have memories of a bad incident. Which ship? When?

Before you vacate your cabin at the end of the cruise, make sure you run your hand very carefully around the interior of the safe to make sure there is nothing left behind. The safe will be on a high shelf in a dark closet so it would be easy to overlook an item if you don't do the check.

Very true in hotels as well as ships. After leaving my keys in Las Vegas one time,:( I check everything and my wife checks everything. Sometimes one will catch something the other missed.:o

You really should come on and excplain how another person got a new ID card -- photos are taken.

We have sailed on the Vista class ships and even there the Concierges know us by name once we have checked in at the pier and make our way to the Neptune Lounge.

We have also been in the PS and I know that safe is a good distance from the cabin door and someone could easily work on it once they have entered the cabin withour anyone hearing them in the hall.

But I still doubt if the the thief got an ID card from the Neptune lounge.

Has anyone seen a staff or crew member use a "master" card to enter a room?? YES!!

The cabin stewards use a "master" card to enter a cabin. So crew and staff can enter a cabin anytime they want to.

We have also been in "PS" and agree the safe is not nearby the entry door.

The stewards have pass key cards to enter all the cabins they are assigned to take care of.

They always leave the cabin door open when they are working in a cabin and would have to be drat stupid to think they could get away with stealing from a locked safe. That is not to say there are no stupid people in the world but that is REALLY dumb.

JMHO......

Also....... Why did you register a new name to post to this thread? Isn't that against CC rules? I think we are only permitted one post name per person.

That depends on "intent":

One Account Per Person

You are permitted a maximum of one account, active or inactive. If you choose to ignore this important restriction with the intention of deceiving our members, all your accounts will be disabled. If you require a temporary user name for any reason, or if you require a user name change, please contact us.

Okay, fair enough. Thanks.

Obvious question is, Did the poster contact CC Moderators?

I once asked about having more than one account registered to the same computer and was told it was okay because the second account was for DH in the event he might post once in a great long while. I don't recall if it was Host Walt or Doug, at the time, but they said various people in the household using the same computer could all have a different name under which they could post.

I once asked about having more than one account registered to the same computer and was told it was okay because the second account was for DH in the event he might post once in a great long while. I don't recall if it was Host Walt or Doug, at the time, but they said various people in the household using the same computer could all have a different name under which they could post.
Oh sure! My DW and I have had our own accounts for a long time ... only I post about 10 times as much as she does. She mostly reads.

Archived