C&A Rumor ( this might be old...)

STEVE-O

[quote name='TravelTammy']Sorry, hadn't been on this thread for a bit so was unable to answer your question until now. For the 3 cruises which total 46 days, the credit is 2 per cruise as they always are because they are longer than 9 nights each.

:D[/quote]
No,its 2 credits for 12 nights+.......not 9 nights...............

From [URL="http://www.rccl.com"]www.rccl.com[/URL]
"Receive two cruise credits for a 12-night or longer cruise/cruisetour on or after January 1, 2003 ****"

Please please spare a thought for the English/British contingent!!! We have just reached Diamond status after completing more than 70 days at sea and having to take more than an eight hour flight to join a caribbean cruise. When we first start cruising there were no ships in the mediterrean because of the terrorist threats and to cruise in the mediterrean was mega expensive because of the limited number of ships. I believe that we have EARNED our diamond status by flying long distances to join RCCL ships and because of the distance have always taken 7 days or more, never 3 to 4 day cruises. I know RCCL monitor this site, please take note of the comments, repeat guests are the 'bread and butter' for RCCL. Please do not take action that will seriously annoy your loyal fans. There are many other cruise lines out there that we have never bothered trying because we are loyal to RCCL, but hey if we are not rewarded for our loyalty then why not try Princess, Cunard, Costa etc. Holiday Inn operate a fantastic loyalty programme, it works, every where we go, we stay in holiday inn hotels. We do not even bother investigating other hotel chains because we know what to expect, the price is good and we are rewarded with free nights. RCCL listen to your loyal customrs and provide more lounges rather than loose guests.

As someone who's spent lots of time in various concierge lounges over the past 12 months, I can tell you I've heard these rumors (usually started by Diamond+ members) for quite a long time. I agree changes will have to happen eventually. The lounges are just too over crowded. I would think it will be a while before any actual changes in the program take place. I've always felt the loyalty level should be determined by the amount of days you've cruised. That's the fairest system in my opinion. It wouldn't surprise me if Royal started this rumor to get people to cruise more often to reach the coveted Diamond and Diamond Plus level. I would also suggest changing the rule which allows children to be at the same loyalty level as their parents even though they've only cruised once or twice. That always seemed ridiculous to me.

[quote name='Firefighterhoop']On the Freedom Class ships, they have a diamond lounge on deck 14. Also on some ships they have opened up parts of the Crown and anchor for diamond members during cocktail hours.
[B]
For us the lounge is the main perk since we don't use balconies/suites, so I would hate to lose that![/B]

I agree with you though, it seems wierd a few years ago to change it to be easier, now worried there are too many. What did they think would happen???[/quote]
Scott, on our most recent 14 day C&A Member's cruise on Radiance, there were close to 500 D/D+ members (could have been a little over, the figure kept changing).........so the CL was only accessible to suite guests 24/7 and a lounge was set up in the Star Quest Lounge in the mornings for continental breakfast and in the evenings from 5-8:30 for cocktails. That was really nice in the evenings, as it was always packed and the view was spectacular.

We learned several weeks prior to our cruise about the CL restrictions and many D/D+ members were upset that they were not able to access the lounge 24/7 to get the specialty coffee that they were so used to getting on previous cruises. When you are used to having something available to you on other ships and then it is suddenly taken away............well, it's not pleasant.

On the cruise following ours to Hawaii, the CL was only available to suite guests and D+ because of so many D members on board. And I think that those poor folks just learned of that when then boarded.

We love the views from the crown lounge and would be bummed if we couldnt use it...we sit up there and play cards, and just kind of hang around...we are only gold members so for a while probably wont be going on a C&A cruise....seems there would be a lot of focus of D/D+ members...rightfully so since they have cruised so often though...we'll just stick to the cruises we are doing for now

[quote name='kewlguy']As someone who's spent lots of time in various concierge lounges over the past 12 months, I can tell you I've heard these rumors (usually started by Diamond+ members) for quite a long time. I agree changes will have to happen eventually. The lounges are just too over crowded. I would think it will be a while before any actual changes in the program take place. I've always felt the loyalty level should be determined by the amount of days you've cruised. That's the fairest system in my opinion. It wouldn't surprise me if Royal started this rumor to get people to cruise more often to reach the coveted Diamond and Diamond Plus level. I would also suggest changing the rule which allows children to be at the same loyalty level as their parents even though they've only cruised once or twice. That always seemed ridiculous to me.[/quote]

Well said. I agree 100%.

Some folks here seem to resent those who can take three and four-day cruises to beat a quick path to Diamond and Diamond Plus, but keep in mimd that Majesty and other ships used for three day cruises don't even have a consierge lounge.

If people want to be Diamond or Diamond Plus because of the Consierge lounge amenity, they will be forced to take longer cruises on ships that do have the consierge lounge.

I think the main reason folks take repeated three and four day cruises is that is all the time they have available to take cruises. They may have three weekends a year when they can do so. They may seldom have the time it takes for seven day or longer cruises, even though doing so will enable them to use the consierge lounge.

Anyway, it does seem to look increasingly as if the consierge lounge will be even more elite and Diamond will no longer be "good enough" for that amenity.

I do have a question, however. If Diamond level no longer can use the consierge lounge, what is the advantage of being Diamond over Platinum? A few extra coupons in the coupon book?

[quote name='HeavySurf']

I do have a question, however. If Diamond level no longer can use the consierge lounge, what is the advantage of being Diamond over Platinum? A few extra coupons in the coupon book?[/quote]

Balcony discounts...

[quote name='HeavySurf']Some folks here seem to resent those who can take three and four-day cruises to beat a quick path to Diamond and Diamond Plus, but keep in mimd that Majesty and other ships used for three day cruises don't even have a consierge lounge.

If people want to be Diamond or Diamond Plus because of the Consierge lounge amenity, they will be forced to take longer cruises on ships that do have the consierge lounge.

I think the main reason folks take repeated three and four day cruises is that is all the time they have available to take cruises. They may have three weekends a year when they can do so. They may seldom have the time it takes for seven day or longer cruises, even though doing so will enable them to use the consierge lounge.

Anyway, it does seem to look increasingly as if the consierge lounge will be even more elite and Diamond will no longer be "good enough" for that amenity.

I do have a question, however. If Diamond level no longer can use the consierge lounge, what is the advantage of being Diamond over Platinum? A few extra coupons in the coupon book?[/QUOTE]

My guess is they will eventually add Diamond Lounges to the Voyager and Radiance Class ships. That would certainly help ease the crowds in the Concierge Lounge. On our Brilliance transatlantic they used the Hollywood Odyssey as a satellite Concierge Lounge in the evening since we had over 300 Diamond/+ members on board. Why not use that lounge as a Diamond Lounge in the future? I'm sure all these ideas are being discussed down at headquarters in Miami. :)

[quote name='Parrothead8']No,its 2 credits for 12 nights+.......not 9 nights...............

From [URL="http://www.rccl.com"]www.rccl.com[/URL]
"Receive two cruise credits for a 12-night or longer cruise/cruisetour on or after January 1, 2003 ****"[/quote]

Oops! My bad, sorry and I'm also sorry to say this board is really heating up with those who are comparing lengths of cruises to those who do the 3-4 nights. I've typically sailed on 7 night sailings but do them in Jr Suites which is how I personally was able to earn Diamond status.

I've actually only done a 3 night and a 4 night once but don't feel I must defend myself but since we're on the subject.....I now am on my way to earn Diamond plus and in doing so will be sailing on the Mariner for 2 weeks in April (B2B) and one is in a Jr Suite and then the Independence in June since I want to take my boys to Europe this summer. On that sailing we'll be in a Grand Suite and taking my Mom hopefully too.

Then of course next year (Jan 09) if I can come up with the money and save like crazy, I've just booked on the Mariner's trip around Cape Horn when they move her to Los Angeles. I've booked all three legs on that trip. So I don't feel the least bit bad that I earned my last 2 points to earn Diamond status by sailing on a 3 and 4 night.

Not that it matters but I'm sure everyone has their method and I'm not here to judge anyone. Everyone's circumstances are different. Everyone has the opportunity to book 3-4 night sailings and can do them as Back-to-Backs if interested in earning more points that way.
I don't think it's up to anyone on the board to compare or while onboard a ship which I've heard some people doing too.

I think it's up to each individual to know how and when they can sail.
As a single parent, this past September sailing was a much more affordable way for me to sail for an entire week for a great price by booking two that way.

It's up to each person's choice in my opinion.

If RCCL does change eligibility for the concierge lounge I think it will be the result of lost revenue in the bars, not the overcrowding issue. If you think about a cruise with 400 + Diamond/Diamond pluses it doesn't take a lot of math to figure out what the amounts of the balcony discounts are....or lost drink sales. Revenue gains drives most decisions.

I'm in favor of counting days sailed versus the current way of counting cruise credits.

[quote name='sanjoseca']If RCCL does change eligibility for the concierge lounge I think it will be the result of lost revenue in the bars, not the overcrowding issue. If you think about a cruise with 400 + Diamond/Diamond pluses it doesn't take a lot of math to figure out what the amounts of the balcony discounts are....or lost drink sales. Revenue gains drives most decisions.

I'm in favor of counting days sailed versus the current way of counting cruise credits.[/quote]

You may be right about the lost revenue from liquor sales, and you should probably know,;) but I hope that they are sophisticated enough to realize that those balcony discounts are a relatively inexpensive way to fill those high priced staterooms and also maintain a perhaps fictional higher pricing level. Discounts, much like OBCs, result in more bookings and more revenue and unless they are convinced that those rooms would be filled otherwise they would be penny wise and pound foolish to limit or eliminate them. Of course that's not to say they won't go ahead and do just that. Corporate America doesn't always use good sense in making its decisions.:rolleyes:
No matter how they count cruise credits there will always be someone who figures out a way to maximize his credits for the least amount of cash expended.

[quote name='negc']You may be right about the lost revenue from liquor sales, and you should probably know,;) but I hope that they are sophisticated enough to realize that those balcony discounts are a relatively inexpensive way to fill those high priced staterooms and also maintain a perhaps fictional higher pricing level. Discounts, much like OBCs, result in more bookings and more revenue and unless they are convinced that those rooms would be filled otherwise they would be penny wise and pound foolish to limit or eliminate them. Of course that's not to say they won't go ahead and do just that. Corporate America doesn't always use good sense in making its decisions.:rolleyes:
No matter how they count cruise credits there will always be someone who figures out a way to maximize his credits for the least amount of cash expended.[/QUOTE] I do get free drinks in the CL and if the Concierge is good, we go there more for the atmosphere of connecting with other cruisers and enjoying the pampering. I love the breakfast as there is the good coffee and it is less frenetic than the WJ (DH still goes up there for bacon and eggs). However, maybe I am more inspired to order more expensive wine at dinner due to the pampering so it is a wash.

[quote name='FrancescaH']"There is not any consideration for changing the requirements for tier level with in the Crown & Anchor society." -Chelle Hanson, Executive Loyalty Consultant[/quote]
Yea, and there's no tooth fairy either..:rolleyes:

[quote name='negc']You may be right about the lost revenue from liquor sales, and you should probably know,;) but I hope that they are sophisticated enough to realize that those balcony discounts are a relatively inexpensive way to fill those high priced staterooms and also maintain a perhaps fictional higher pricing level. Discounts, much like OBCs, result in more bookings and more revenue and unless they are convinced that those rooms would be filled otherwise they would be penny wise and pound foolish to limit or eliminate them. Of course that's not to say they won't go ahead and do just that. Corporate America doesn't always use good sense in making its decisions.:rolleyes:
No matter how they count cruise credits there will always be someone who figures out a way to maximize his credits for the least amount of cash expended.[/quote]

Well Bill, it costs them one beer a day for me in the Concierge Lounge......a few more this last trip because I had to "buy" several for Marcia and Carl......but maybe a dollar a day for the beer normally.

I think that RCCL has to be looking at other loyalty programs that the competion has and be wondering if they are doing more than they need to....Celebrity doesn't seem to do nearly as much for past guests as RCCL does. From what I hear, RCCL, is better than other lines too. Knowing how corporate America works....the bean counters have to be salivating over potential savings of eliminating some of the perks.

Francesca: Regarding the Chelle Hanson response......she says the thresholds for the different levels won't change, but doesn't say anything about commiting to no reduction in the benefits for each level.

PH, I know for a fact that there is a tooth fairy.....when I lose a tooth I always get bucks under my pillow the next morning.....it's been a few years, but I know she's still around:) .

[quote name='FrancescaH']"There is not any consideration for changing the requirements for tier level with in the Crown & Anchor society." -Chelle Hanson, Executive Loyalty Consultant[/quote]

According to the Loyalty Ambassador on our last cruise, there will definitely be changes.

So, who do you believe?

Who knows? That's part of why I emailed as I really would like to see the CL one day but we're 2 cruises out from the current 10. I use a wheelchair and the highest accessible cabin is a JS (which is what we book) hence not eligible. So I just wanted to make the point to corporate that disabled customers would like to see the CL too. She reiterated that once we reach 10 credits we would automatically get CL access.

[quote name='FrancescaH']Who knows? That's part of why I emailed as I really would like to see the CL one day but we're 2 cruises out from the current 10. I use a wheelchair and the highest accessible cabin is a JS (which is what we book) hence not eligible. So I just wanted to make the point to corporate that disabled customers would like to see the CL too. She reiterated that once we reach 10 credits we would automatically get CL access.[/quote]

Francesca,
If possible, the best strategy would be to get to ten credits as soon as possible. If/when changes are made to the program, one would hope that those who have already qualified would be "grandfathered" in and the changes would apply only to those who had not as yet attained the levels.
Yogi

Archived