C&A Rumor ( this might be old...)

STEVE-O

I sure hope this isn't true....

I just booked while on the Mariner last week, a 4 night JS on Sovereign for Jan.14, 2008 to get 2 credits and finally get to diamond. We then board the Mariner on Jan. 20th. and we are looking forward to the use of the Concierge & the lounge.

If they are going to change the program and the concierge service's will only be for Diamond+ and GS & above I WILL cancel my Sovereign cruise.

I'm going to send an E-mail to C & A......

[quote name='cruisingator2']Oh I know one individual that posts on this board that will not be happy with that one.:D

I can see RCI doing this. They have to do something to change the overcrowded situation in the CL now.[/quote]

I think there are probably more than one who would raise holy h***. It certainly won't be pretty, if it happens.:eek:

I would think it a mistake to at least not grandfather current status levels in, but I am not RCL. Over the last couple of years we have sailed (and paid $) to achieve the next level of C&A. Can they change it, for sure.

We even took a couple of extra cruises to achieve the Diamond status. Did we enjoy the cruise? For sure, but I do not think that if I were not within 1-2 cruises I would have made the effort. And then we have continued to sail with RCL BECAUSE of our Diamond Status!

We are Gold on Princess and guess what, we have NOT pushed sailing on Princess! Last Princess cruise was in April 2004.

The good news for RCL is that their C&A program is a 'runaway success'. That is what they should focus on. How to keep it a success, not make it a mess!

I hope Royal Caribbean thinks long and hard before taking away the Diamond perks now enjoyed by many, specifically the Concierge lounge. If they did, I think there would be mass defections from the line, and at this time I don't think that would help their bottom line. Stockholders, of which I am one, would not be pleased if that happened.
Could they not have a separate lounge for Diamond and Diamond plus members, rather than take the CL away entirely. Actually there was a second lounge available on the Jewel when we were recently on her.
Is it good business to anger loyal patrons? Think hard before doing this, RCCL.

[quote name='marienbad']I hope Royal Caribbean thinks long and hard before taking away the Diamond perks now enjoyed by many, specifically the Concierge lounge. If they did, I think there would be mass defections from the line, and at this time I don't think that would help their bottom line. [/QUOTE]

So the loss of a few free drinks and cups of coffee will trigger "mass defections?" Bit of hyperbole, I think.

I think if people who have reached Diamond and Diamond+ status, they will remain at that status but if you are Platinum then you would have to gain that status with the new requirements. I can envision reduced perks for grandfathered Diamond and Diamond+. This will be interesting.

I have said this before, and I shall say it again...RCCL made a BIG mistake when they started giving cruise credits instead of sticking with number of cruises themselves. How "Loyal" is loyal if some cruisers like DH and I, fail to make Diamond Plus, because we only can usually cruise once a year, in an oceanview, or at best, a Balcony? We started with RCCL in 1986, and only wandered a few times. We live in the Pacific Nortwest, far away from the 3 and 4 day Caribbean cruises. Who, up here, wants to fly to LA in order to do a 3 or 4 day in a JS just to gain a couple of credits. Basically, we can't afford it. Of course, we could cruise out of Vancouver to Alaska a few times a year! NOT.

If RCCL would count Sea Days from one's beginning to cruise with RCCL/RCI, I would think that would bre the fairest solution. Dream on, Helen!

Off the soapbox now.

Helen

[quote name='Laoghaire']I have said this before, and I shall say it again...RCCL made a BIG mistake when they started giving cruise credits instead of sticking with number of cruises themselves. How "Loyal" is loyal if some cruisers like DH and I, fail to make Diamond Plus, because we only can usually cruise once a year, in an oceanview, or at best, a Balcony? We started with RCCL in 1986, and only wandered a few times. We live in the Pacific Nortwest, far away from the 3 and 4 day Caribbean cruises. Who, up here, wants to fly to LA in order to do a 3 or 4 day in a JS just to gain a couple of credits. Basically, we can't afford it. Of course, we could cruise out of Vancouver to Alaska a few times a year! NOT.

If RCCL would count Sea Days from one's beginning to cruise with RCCL/RCI, I would think that would bre the fairest solution. Dream on, Helen!

Off the soapbox now.

Helen[/quote]

Regardless of what RCI does if they even do anything, there are going to be some folks who are not happy with the changes as we all know that you cannot please everyone. RCI needs to do what they feel is best and let the chips fall where they may.

[quote name='marienbad']I hope Royal Caribbean thinks long and hard before taking away the Diamond perks now enjoyed by many, specifically the Concierge lounge. If they did, I think there would be mass defections from the line, and at this time I don't think that would help their bottom line. Stockholders, of which I am one, would not be pleased if that happened.
Could they not have a separate lounge for Diamond and Diamond plus members, rather than take the CL away entirely. Actually there was a second lounge available on the Jewel when we were recently on her.
Is it good business to anger loyal patrons? Think hard before doing this, RCCL.[/QUOTE] The ships without Diamond lounges have been opening supplemental lounges in the Viking Crown Area like you are talking about on Jewel. Hope RCCL will continue to do that to deal with the overcrowding of the CL.

I also would be surprised if there were any changes made on the Freedom class which has a Diamond lounge. On those ships, D/D+ do not have access to the CL unless they are in a GS or highter but they do have access to the Diamond Lounge which is in the Viking Crown area with floor to ceiling windows (area used in Mariner and Navigator as sports bar).

[quote name='sgttami']Talked to TA last week and he did say that effective January 2008, Diamond members would no longer be offered concierge service UNLESS they are in a GS or higher.

Have to be Diamond Plus to get conciege in any cabin.

No mention of increasing the amount of credits to become Diamond or D plus..

He also said it will coincide with the "No smoking in cabins" which will take effect Jan '08...

Previously, he's been right on lots of things and apparently got this directly from RCI..

I'll be on Explorer 12/14/07 sailing. I'll see what scoops I can find out!!!

I'm a few credits short of current requirements for D plus (I have 19)...I'd hate to think I'd have to hit 50 credits!!!

If this is true, I'll be sailing and sampling other lines....Guess we'll see what happens in January!!![/QUOTE]

Yes, I guess we'll see what happens in January!

It does make more sense to do the above rather than have someone become Diamond after 25 plus cruises!!

The concierge is a nice perk that we enjoyed for a few cruises at Diamond level and the last 3 cruises were JS so I guess we'll enjoy this one last time in December...UNLESS we book GS from now on!!

I'd be more upset at losing the diamond balcony discounts than using the concierge!! We'll see............

I called C&A today.....the rep ( who checked with his supervisor) said they hadn't heard of any such thing...

Also....for those of you who didn't begin at the start of the thread....

I heard this info from a disgruntled Diamond who didn't name his source....

I'm not sure I should have even labelled this a rumor........it was more the ramblings of a guy who thinks he knows something no one else seems to know!

[quote name='daddymac']what is the big deal about the CL? I have never been in there, but people seem pretty fired up about it[/QUOTE]

Actually, the Concierge Lounge isn't really A BIG DEAL. On our cruise to Alaska, and a CL first for us on Serenade we had a great time due to the people we met.

Since then, we have had CL on Explorer and Voyager which isn't half as nice as Serenade which is all glass and windows and it was pretty neat to sail by the glaciers sipping FREE drinks!!

After that, we sailed with family that didn't qualify for CL so we hardly went. Honestly, it's not a BIG deal but it's a nice perk to get some freebie drinks at night or go in the AM for your coffee and danish. If you want to do an excursion or make specialty restaurant reservations, you can do it from there also...you can use the computer, read magazines, play board games etc...

It's a nice perk but not necessary for our having a good time!

Pam

[quote name='txwildflower2002']1. How many sea days have ya'll got as opposed to credits? Hey! I am going to figure mine out![/quote]

249 days :D some of them were on 3 day cruiuses. I think i would have enough days at sea to retain the diamond plus status, I think if they do change the number of credits to reach a level they should grandfather in all the past guests who have reached those certain levels. the last time they made a change to the levels, they removed the silver level and renamed the others, I wonder if that's the route they'll go again. but i think from 24 to 50 is an awfully large gap

We have no idea if, when or how RCCL will change the loyality program. But, we have been on several cruises that had 100+ diamond members. When combined with the suite guests those numbers far exceeded the capacity of the Concierge lounge and usually another lounge was opened to handle the overflow.

Passenger can presently book two B2B three-day cruises in a JS plus another three-day cruise in a JS and become a diamond member. So, with a grand total of 15 days at seas they leapt to diamond status.

Like many things, RCCL has failed to address this situation and the rapidily increasing number of diamond members is starting to nip at their heels and if not soon remedied will be biting them on the butt.

We agree that sea days may be a better measure for C & A status, but shutter to think of RCCL's computer system handling those calculations.

[quote name='STEVE-O']I called C&A today.....the rep ( who checked with his supervisor) said they hadn't heard of any such thing...

Also....for those of you who didn't begin at the start of the thread....

I heard this info from a disgruntled Diamond who didn't name his source....

I'm not sure I should have even labelled this a rumor........it was more the ramblings of a guy who thinks he knows something no one else seems to know![/QUOTE] Steve -- which rumor did you check about? The increased cruise credits to make D/D+ or the rumor that the CL will only be available to D+ and GS and higher?

[SIZE=2]On our last cruise, this was brought up during the Cruise Critic reception...it was an energetic conversation. Here is a BRIEF synopsis per the LA and CD:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- RCI were evaluating alternative approaches to address the swelling number of C&A Diamond members and the impact on its current programs like the Concierge (hospitality) Lounge[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- RCI does not want to hurt their relationship with its most loyal customers so they (LA and CD) strongly believed that all current members would be grandfathered IF the criteria for Diamond (or D+) changes[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- At that time, it seemed that no decisions were made and if they were, the LA and CD were not informed of pending changes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- One issue that was not addressed directly was getting the same cruise "credit" for a 3 or 11 day cruise (or however long it is now before you receive two cruise credits)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- Don't underestimate the cost of change to an existing program, all of the computer systems, training, printed collateral, web sites etc. will require a coordinated change...which is costly for the company, [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Disclaimer...remember that these are merely my notes from the conversation and do not imply fact...it was just a discussion during a CC reception.[/SIZE]

I caled the Platinium/Diamond desk and they said that they were unaware of any changes in: (1) number of cruise cruise credits to qualify for D/D+ and (2)restriction of CL to D+ and those in GS or higher. The representative felt that any changes in these areas would be detrimental to repeat customer business. Of course, this chould change.

I am going to check on Enchantment when we sail on her on Nov. 1 and would urge anyone sailing before the end of the year to ask Loyalty Ambassadors on the ship.

It seems the cost to change the program would be WAAAAY more than needed to avoid a crowd in CL...The company doesnt pay anymore to give you a key to a room that already exists, maybe the alcohol for happy hour, but really that is not a lot of cost to the cruise line. Sounds like a rumor from a D+ who was mad that he was one of many.

[quote name='SherriZ366']I caled the Platinium/Diamond desk and they said that they were unaware of any changes in: (1) number of cruise cruise credits to qualify for D/D+ and (2)restriction of CL to D+ and those in GS or higher. The representative felt that any changes in these areas would be detrimental to repeat customer business. Of course, this chould change.

I am going to check on Enchantment when we sail on her on Nov. 1 and would urge anyone sailing before the end of the year to ask Loyalty Ambassadors on the ship.[/quote]

If there is a change in the works, any reliable information is probably only privy to the folks in the excutive offices.

You are corrrect that any change in the program would have a detrimental effect to the loyality program. However, the potential negative long-term effects of a loyality program that is rapidly growing out of control also need to be considered.

We estimate that on many sailings 7 - 9% of the passengers are either diamond members or in a full suite. (100 diamond members + 100 suite passengers divided by 2500 total passengers)

When passenger can reach diamond status with as little as 15 days at sea the number of diamond/diamond plus members could soon outnumber the rest of the passenger.

The program need to be tweaked and doing so will undoubtedly upset a number of people. We don't know if RCCL will make any changes, but, we suspect if they do there will be a positive long-term effect.

[quote name='skyking']It seems the cost to change the program would be WAAAAY more than needed to avoid a crowd in CL...The company doesnt pay anymore to give you a key to a room that already exists, maybe the alcohol for happy hour, but really that is not a lot of cost to the cruise line. Sounds like a rumor from a D+ who was mad that he was one of many.[/QUOTE] And the cost for the continental breakfast should not be high. Fruit, pastries, etc. And they already have lox either in the dining room or windjammer. Happy hour drinks are house wines and liquor that is not premium. The hors d'oerves are the same as those in some of the lounges like the champagne bar but a good CL keeps them hotter and replenished.

The company may pay a bit to have a sattelite lounge in the Viking Crown area as there is bar tender etc.

I think these perks also contribute to staff morale as the concierge and his/her assistants earn nice tips. Concierges are often some of the best RCI employees -- eg Maritza on the Serenade; Julian on Enchantment.

[quote name='Don Pedro']We have no idea if, when or how RCCL will change the loyality program. But, we have been on several cruises that had 100+ diamond members. When combined with the suite guests those numbers far exceeded the capacity of the Concierge lounge and usually another lounge was opened to handle the overflow.

Passenger can presently book two B2B three-day cruises in a JS plus another three-day cruise in a JS and become a diamond member. So, with a grand total of 15 days at seas they leapt to diamond status.

Like many things, RCCL has failed to address this situation and the rapidily increasing number of diamond members is starting to nip at their heels and if not soon remedied will be biting them on the butt.

We agree that sea days may be a better measure for C & A status, but shutter to think of RCCL's computer system handling those calculations.[/quote]

Ha Ha, 5 three day cruises with JS cabins for two people would be somewhere in the $5000 range. You'd need to drink a whole lot in the CL to justify that expense. Also, you'd be pretty sick of Coco Cay and Nassau by the time you reached that level.

[quote name='Don Pedro']If there is a change in the works, any reliable information is probably only privy to the folks in the excutive offices.

You are corrrect that any change in the program would have a detrimental effect to the loyality program. However, the potential negative long-term effects of a loyality program that is rapidly growing out of control also need to be considered.

We estimate that on many sailings 7 - 9% of the passengers are either diamond members or in a full suite. (100 diamond members + 100 suite passengers divided by 2500 total passengers)

When passenger can reach diamond status with as little as 15 days at sea the number of diamond/diamond plus members could soon outnumber the rest of the passenger.

The program need to be tweaked and doing so will undoubtedly upset a number of people. We don't know if RCCL will make any changes, but, we suspect if they do there will be a positive long-term effect.[/quote]

I'm not sure that too many repeat customers is a major headache for any company, Royal Caribbean included. Based on the new ships coming out with a Diamond Lounge in addition to the Concierge Lounge I'd say they're already planning for the future. If they had to add a Diamond Lounge to other ships down the road it would still be a small price to pay to keep their most loyal customers happy.

Archived