Baked beans for breakfast?

sugarsparkles

Maybe it's just me, but I found it incredibly odd that on NCL Spirit on Saturday they had baked beans on the breakfast buffet..... while talking to my mom she said on the RCCL Radiance of the Seas they had them too. Am I missing something, since when did baked beans become a breakfast staple???

Just wondering,

Rebekah

Yes it is a European breakfast item. I am sure they think it is just as weird when they see grits or tomato gravy!

When we visited Italy my son complained about having to eat salami for breakfast he wanted pancakes. I told him when in Rome do as the Romans do-it was perfect.

Yup, I'm glad it's something that never caught on here :p LOL! It's like when I was in Sydney, and I had scrambled eggs for breakfast, it was a little scary to take a big bite and taste shrimp :eek: I mean, I like shrimp, but not in my scrambled eggs... nobody understood why I thought this was weird, LOL But it actually wasn't half bad... Hmm, eggs with shrimp and a side of baked beans, breakfast of champions :D

Maybe it's just me, but I found it incredibly odd that on NCL Spirit on Saturday they had baked beans on the breakfast buffet..... while talking to my mom she said on the RCCL Radiance of the Seas they had them too. Am I missing something, since when did baked beans become a breakfast staple???

Just wondering,

Rebekah

Are you sure they are Baked beans? Or maybe Navy or Pinto beans?

I have seen that a few times.

Just wondering,

Rebekah

It is very European. Remember, cruising is an international thing with passengers from many different countries on board.

We travel international quite a bit and have found indeed it tends to be English or English established countries that serve "baked" beans (we find them more to be canned pork and bean type). New Zealand, parts of Canada and most definatly London!

Europe was more cold cut, cheese and bread oriented with little hot food served.

Amen! And what the heck do they serve in Ireland - sausage from hell?...is it called blood sausage? I truly wanted to like it, but I had to excuse myself from the table! The worst thing I have EVER eaten in my life!

Yes...thats the same as "Black puddin" as my Scottish father used to call it. UGH...I would hate it when he made it for breakfast....stunk up the whole house.

But how about another strange British thing? Egg on pizza. Not like a scrambled egg sprinkled on top, but they crack an egg on top in the middle. Sort of like a fried egg sitting in the middle of the pizza. Doesn't taste bad, but its just kind of odd.

Yes...thats the same as "Black puddin" as my Scottish father used to call it. UGH...I would hate it when he made it for breakfast....stunk up the whole house.

But how about another strange British thing? Egg on pizza. Not like a scrambled egg sprinkled on top, but they crack an egg on top in the middle. Sort of like a fried egg sitting in the middle of the pizza. Doesn't taste bad, but its just kind of odd.

OHHHH...they have eggs on pizza's in Italy...its not a British thing.

Now, lets get something straight....we British know how to breakfast properly. Black pudding is LOVELY. Baked beans are lovely. Kippers are lovely, and we have the best bacon ( with none of that maple syrup stuff...ye gawds!). All with a nice cup of tea ( none of that sissy iced "tea").

OK...my gloves are off. Grits v Black pudding? No contest...

BigD

It's funny. Baked beans are a very traditional French-Canadian breakfast item as well. Growing up, we would never think of having beans for dinner. It was always a breakfast food prepared the night before.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Yup, I'm glad it's something that never caught on here :p LOL! It's like when I was in Sydney, and I had scrambled eggs for breakfast, it was a little scary to take a big bite and taste shrimp :eek: I mean, I like shrimp, but not in my scrambled eggs... nobody understood why I thought this was weird, LOL But it actually wasn't half bad... Hmm, eggs with shrimp and a side of baked beans, breakfast of champions :D

The beans are a European thing. The first time we saw that we also thought it was weird. But truth is that different cultures eat many different things for breakfast. Many south east Asians have soup for breakfast. Scandinavians and many Eastern Europeans and those Americans descended from those places will eat fish for breakfast and abjure any kind of meat.

I personally don't care for sausages or bacon at breakfast.

In New Orleans there are several restaurants that are open for breakfast that put seafood (shrimp, oysters, crawfish) in their omelets. BTW, in my opinion, having sampled virtually all of the restaurants in NOLA that are open for breakfast, the very best omelets are made at Fleur-di-Lis restaurant on Chartres St. in the French Quarter.

When we were young (er) we used to love left over cold pasta for breakfast.

Hey, breakfast cereals (esp. the prepared kind) didn't even exist as a breakfast item until the late 19th Century when Dr. Kellog began promoting it as a "health" food.

BnB

OHHHH...they have eggs on pizza's in Italy...its not a British thing.

Now, lets get something straight....we British know how to breakfast properly. Black pudding is LOVELY. Baked beans are lovely. Kippers are lovely, and we have the best bacon ( with none of that maple syrup stuff...ye gawds!). All with a nice cup of tea ( none of that sissy iced "tea").

OK...my gloves are off. Grits v Black pudding? No contest...

BigD

Well, I've never had the opportunity to taste Black Pudding, but I'm game.

Whenever we're down South we eat Grits. They're very neutral, being only corn. Actually, grits are almost identical to polenta, but polenta is usually yellow and grits are usually white. You always need to add something to the grits to carry some flavor - cheese, butter, spices -.

Another particularly Louisiana item which might compete with blood pudding is a sausage known as boudin, which is a sausage made with varied meats or fish products and bound together with rice.

BnB

Archived