Updates on Sovereign and Monarch (merged)

eroller

If you look at all the schedules for royal caribbean for next year ..The Rhapsody has nothing Scheduled after September of 2008 ..My guess would be your replacement will be the Rhapsody .Due to everything else having a schedule

Rhapsody is scheduled thru jan 2009 (Australai) so she can't be a replacement unfortunatly.

I think this is purely a financial decision. With the high cost of fuel, the Monarch may just break even or have a slight profit each sailing. There is a reason that Princess doesnt do the short 3-4 day runs.

Keeping the Vision on the west coast taking over the Monarch's run makes the most sense, but she is already committed to Santo Domingo.

As RCCL shareholders, we need to ask questions regarding the logic of their decision. You can email Adam Goldstein at agoldstein@rccl.com

You probably want to do it today before RCCL shuts down that email address.

RCCL decision will now cost all cruisers wanting to do the 3-4 day runs more money. Carnival's Paradise already sails full twice a week, with the added cruisers booking the Paradise and without any competition, Carnival's prices will rise.

Just my 2 cents

Capt Bob

Keeping the Vision on the west coast taking over the Monarch's run makes the most sense, but she is already committed to Santo Domingo.

Carnival's Paradise already sails full twice a week, with the added cruisers booking the Paradise and without any competition, Carnival's prices will rise.

Just my 2 cents

Capt Bob

I wouldn't sail Carnival if i won a cruise and it was free, that's how little I think of carnival :rolleyes:

I love cruising as much as the next guy, but c'mon people, it's a ship. It's not like someone died.

I can totally understand being disappointed, but I'm sure RCI has given this some thought and has a plan.

Aw, let us vent, will ya, Patrick? Of course RCI has a plan, but we're more than a little apprehensive that it won't include us.

Back to our regularly scheduled mourning...

I wouldn't sail Carnival if i won a cruise and it was free, that's how little I think of carnival :rolleyes:

We would never pass up a free cruise on Carnival, it couldn't be any worse than our 12 days in summer 2006 on Millennium. But we wouldn't pay a dime out of our own pocket to cruise on Carnival.

Even though we are going to Antarctica next year, and Mariner in July 2009, we are thinking of booking the October 13 trip next year anyway.

Counting the days b/4 our next Monarch trip next weekend. She will be missed.

Dave and Debbie

Thank you Captain Bob. I'm thinking Princess doesn't do the 3/4 day run because they are part of Carnival. Silly, but I even checked Celebrity's calendars in the slight hope that maybe one of their older ships would show the possiblity. Of course, the answer is no. I hadn't even thought about Carnival's prices. Thanks for the email address and I will be writing right away and I hope others will also. Robin

I think this is purely a financial decision. With the high cost of fuel, the Monarch may just break even or have a slight profit each sailing. There is a reason that Princess doesnt do the short 3-4 day runs.

As RCCL shareholders, we need to ask questions regarding the logic of their decision. You can email Adam Goldstein at agoldstein@rccl.com

You probably want to do it today before RCCL shuts down that email address.

RCCL decision will now cost all cruisers wanting to do the 3-4 day runs more money. Carnival's Paradise already sails full twice a week, with the added cruisers booking the Paradise and without any competition, Carnival's prices will rise.

Just my 2 cents

Capt Bob

Then buy some Carnival stock also.

We would never pass up a free cruise on Carnival, it couldn't be any worse than our 12 days in summer 2006 on Millennium. But we wouldn't pay a dime out of our own pocket to cruise on Carnival.

Even though we are going to Antarctica next year, and Mariner in July 2009, we are thinking of booking the October 13 trip next year anyway.

Dave and Debbie

We did Antartica last january, an awesome place. We'd go back to walk amongst the Penquins in a heartbeat :D

Was it really that long? We were on the second to last sailing of Song of America, and I know that Viking Serenade had been sold shortly before then. I think that was 1999, without checking the photo album. It didn't seem like that much later that Monarch started sailing. :) But if your TA says there was a 2 year gap, she probably has a better memory than I do anymore. :D

Stop scarmongering. Of course another ship will be back in the market. Will it be straight away, no way. They have to wait for new tonnage to come in to shift people and ships around.

An ideal candidate for the LA run would be Enchantment, but she cannot fit through the Panama Canal. I doubt they will bring her around the horn.

Song of America was sold in 1998 and left the fleet in 1999. Viking Serenade was tranferred over to Island Cruises in 2002 (Final cruise was Feb time). Monarch started cruising from LA in 2003 (Early summer).

Don't forget that inbetween the Viking Serenade and the Monarch, the Vision did a stint on the 3 and 4 day run.

Get a life, save your time and money, don't write in. A ship will come... there has been a ship on this run for over 20 years. It is not gonna stop now.

Stop scarmongering. Of course another ship will be back in the market. Will it be straight away, no way. They have to wait for new tonnage to come in to shift people and ships around.

An ideal candidate for the LA run would be Enchantment, but she cannot fit through the Panama Canal. I doubt they will bring her around the horn.

Song of America was sold in 1998 and left the fleet in 1999. Viking Serenade was tranferred over to Island Cruises in 2002 (Final cruise was Feb time). Monarch started cruising from LA in 2003 (Early summer).

Don't forget that inbetween the Viking Serenade and the Monarch, the Vision did a stint on the 3 and 4 day run.

Get a life, save your time and money, don't write in. A ship will come... there has been a ship on this run for over 20 years. It is not gonna stop now.

If we want to mourn the loss of a wonderful ship, that's our perogative. Nobody is scaremongering - it's now a fact that Monarch is leaving, not a rumor. Maybe she'll be replaced (I'm hoping so) and maybe not, but for now all we know is that a great lady is leaving us, and that's a sad event for many of us.

Now leave us to mourn in peace.

If we want to mourn the loss of a wonderful ship, that's our perogative. Nobody is scaremongering - it's now a fact that Monarch is leaving, not a rumor. Maybe she'll be replaced (I'm hoping so) and maybe not, but for now all we know is that a great lady is leaving us, and that's a sad event for many of us.

Well said, Jean!;)

Why wouldn't the Enchantment fit through the Panama? She is a stretched Vision class - did the stretching affect her ability to pass through the Panama?

HMMM FUNNY!

Sounds like the same thing you west coasters to us when we found out the Mariner was leaving, funny how you also ( NOT YOU specifically) said the same stuff to us. I dont feel sorry for the west coasters at all.

Nobody asked you to. We're perfectly capable of wallowing in our own self pity, thank you very much!;)

The difference here is that now we only have a 7-day RCI option. At least the PC folks could drive a few hours (which is nothing in this state) to get to a port for their 7 night cruises, and still had (and will have) the weekend option. If RCI announces that they'll be sailing the 3-4 nighters from San Diego, that would be fine (not as awesome as my current 10-15 minutes, but certainly doable). But so far there's now nothing at all on the Left Coast to fill the gap.

<snif>

HMMM FUNNY!

Sounds like the same thing you west coasters to us when we found out the Mariner was leaving, funny how you also ( NOT YOU specifically) said the same stuff to us. I dont feel sorry for the west coasters at all.

One cannot compare the two situations if you ask me. You have several RCI ports in Florida, CA has TWO!!

Sorry Monarch lovers.....I don't mind seeing her leave IF that means we get a bigger and newer ship to replace her in the near future. :D

###

Nobody asked you to. We're perfectly capable of wallowing in our own self pity, thank you very much!;)

The difference here is that now we only have a 7-day RCI option. At least the PC folks could drive a few hours (which is nothing in this state) to get to a port for their 7 night cruises, and still had (and will have) the weekend option. If RCI announces that they'll be sailing the 3-4 nighters from San Diego, that would be fine (not as awesome as my current 10-15 minutes, but certainly doable). But so far there's now nothing at all on the Left Coast to fill the gap.

<snif>

Jean, I don't think that RCI will leave the west coast three and four day market all to Carnival. My bet is that you guys get a Vision class ship before it's over and IMHO that is much better than the Monarch as they have more balcony staterooms. It may not happen as fast as everyone would like for it to but I doubt that you go for very long without a ship in the three and four day market. :)

HMMM FUNNY!

As Jean said, a different situation. While I can fully understand being upset about losing the Mariner from PC, there is still Tampa, FL, Miami, and the Monarch now out of PC. :) All the entire West coast would have is the Vision 7 nighters till she leaves to the the DR and the Mariner comes here. I love the Voyager class, and I am very happy that one is coming here. Don't forget - the rest of the Voyager class, all the Freedom class ships, and the Genesis are over on the East coast, along with most of the Radiance and Vision classes. Some of those do go to Europe or Alaska in the summer, but return in the fall. With the Monarch gone, the West is left with ONE cruise ship for the entire winter. That's it. One.:eek: And that is just one itinerary with no variation.

Rumour has it that PC is getting the Independence. There is a lot of dredging going on there apparently in preparation for what could be a bigger ship for you guys. I hope you get it. I enjoyed sailing out of PC, though with the $800 pp airfare to get there, I doubt I will be able to do that again anytime soon.:(

I would love to see an RC ship doing regular round trips to Hawaii like Princess has been doing.;)

I also empathize with Texans, who have lost their cruise ship as well. They will get the Voyager, but only for part of the year.

Floridians do have other options for RC. Californians don't. JMHO.

Happy cruising!:)

Archived