Updates on Sovereign and Monarch (merged)

eroller

Jean, I don't think that RCI will leave the west coast three and four day market all to Carnival. My bet is that you guys get a Vision class ship before it's over and IMHO that is much better than the Monarch as they have more balcony staterooms. It may not happen as fast as everyone would like for it to but I doubt that you go for very long without a ship in the three and four day market. :)

Thanks Gordon! Hope it all works out.;)

Get a life

I don't know who you think you are telling people to get a life but you have no business doing so. There are people that are quite fond of the Monarch of the Seas. There are people that have become friends with the staff on the ship. To see the ship go is very sad. It's not just a hunk of steel. It is way more than that. You probably don't understand though.

And on top of losing the ship there is no report of a new ship to take it's place. Now I can assure you that a ship will take it's place but is it a guarantee? Hell no!!! People want to make sure that there opinions are heard. They want RCI to know that they want a ship. Is it a waist of their time to do so? Again I say, Hell no!!! RCI is always screwing over the left coast. We don't know their plans; However we want to know there plans and we want to be included in there plans. And the best way of doing that is letting them know what we want.

Sure some people are being a little melodramatic, everyone is at times. Let them. It is sad. Some people feel as though they are losing a friend, or a second home. Once again you probably just don't understand.

HMMM FUNNY!

Sounds like the same thing you west coasters to us when we found out the Mariner was leaving, funny how you also ( NOT YOU specifically) said the same stuff to us. I dont feel sorry for the west coasters at all.

Learn to share and stop being so selfish. You will be getting a nice new beautiful ship in a matter of no time. You don't know how lucky you have it.

Learn to share and stop being so selfish. You will be getting a nice new beautiful ship in a matter of no time. You don't know how lucky you have it.

Hope your right:) Im sure you all out there will score well as too....HEY I grew up in Yorba Linda, sorta right next door to you:)

I appreciate how they feel losing the Monarch as I feel the say way about losing the Mariner. We all get to impatiently wait while we hear what the replacements will be!

We could not have said it better than that. But losing Mariner is a bigger blow than losing Monarch is (about 2X bigger). If the market in California needs another ship RCI will fill it. It is a well known fact that RCI is still waiting on a couple of new builds and when those ships are online then there will be another set of ships repositioning. Remember that Sovereign class ships are the oldest and smallest in the fleet and will be phased out over the next 3 to 4 years starting with Sovereign in 2008. I suspect a Vision or Radiance class will go to La. I would not worry overmuch about the things we can't control. Both M ships (Mariner and Monarch) will be replaced by something else. :D

One cannot compare the two situations if you ask me. You have several RCI ports in Florida, CA has TWO!!

Sorry Monarch lovers.....I don't mind seeing her leave IF that means we get a bigger and newer ship to replace her in the near future. :D

###

Florida has more cruise options than California. Bahamas Western Caribbean Eastern Caribbean Southern Caribbean. Bermuda. All I see for California is Mexico and a few Hawaii cruises. Alaska is to far away to be economical and Mexico only has so many ports. That's the main reason that Florida has more ports not to mention that headquarters of RCI is here..............

We could not have said it better than that. But losing Mariner is a bigger blow than losing Monarch is (about 2X bigger). If the market in California needs another ship RCI will fill it. It is a well known fact that RCI is still waiting on a couple of new builds and when those ships are online then there will be another set of ships repositioning. Remember that Sovereign class ships are the oldest and smallest in the fleet and will be phased out over the next 3 to 4 years starting with Sovereign in 2008. I suspect a Vision or Radiance class will go to La. I would not worry overmuch about the things we can't control. Both M ships (Mariner and Monarch) will be replaced by something else. :D

RCI will not replace the Monarch with a Radiance class ship. The Monarch was doing 3 & 4 day runs that did not require much speed. No way RCI puts a Radiance class ship on that run. It will be a Vision class ship - eventually. However, as of right now, per my TA, RCI has no current plans to replace the Monarch.

RCI will not replace the Monarch with a Radiance class ship. The Monarch was doing 3 & 4 day runs that did not require much speed. No way RCI puts a Radiance class ship on that run. It will be a Vision class ship - eventually. However, as of right now, per my TA, RCI has no current plans to replace the Monarch.

I was told the same thing from a TA and from the call line in Oregon.

Florida has more cruise options than California. Bahamas Western Caribbean Eastern Caribbean Southern Caribbean. Bermuda. All I see for California is Mexico and a few Hawaii cruises. Alaska is to far away to be economical and Mexico only has so many ports. That's the main reason that Florida has more ports not to mention that headquarters of RCI is here..............
And someday, Cuba will be open to American tourists (i.e. Americans will be allowed to spend money there) and that will be an even bigger bonanza to east coast based ships.

And someday, Cuba will be open to American tourists (i.e. Americans will be allowed to spend money there) and that will be an even bigger bonanza to east coast based ships.

And I will be one of the first ones there! I want to see Havana before it becomes too "Americanized".

Very true the Castro's will be gone before to long and when they are gone Cuba will want better relations with the US. Once Cuba opens that's about 4 more ports of call. Just give this 5 years and watch it happen :D

Just wait until the new builds are in service. California will get a Vision Class with the outside possibility of a Radiance. Then again maybe a Milliennium class (Celebrity) may go there. Just be patient and we will all see someday.:D

Just wait until the new builds are in service. California will get a Vision Class with the outside possibility of a Radiance. Then again maybe a Milliennium class (Celebrity) may go there. Just be patient and we will all see someday.:D

You are not going to see a Radiance class ship on an easy 3/4 day run until all the Vision ships have left the fleet.

I don't see Celebrity taking over the 3/4 day cruises from Royal Caribbean. Celebrity is an upscale line and likely does not want to be known for its booze cruises out of San Pedro.

As the new builds move into the east coast (Independence in 2008, Genesis I in 2009 and Genesis II in 2010) either Royal Caribbean will find that the Vision class earns more sailing from international ports (such as the Rhapsody now, or the Vision in 2009, along with the Enchantment, sooner or later) or a Vision class will come to Los Angeles and resume the 3/4 day run out of San Pedro.

One of the C&A reps on the Radiance said that their marketing of Rhapsody in Australia isn't working. They tried to place it as the Down Under equivalent of the MR cruises and are having a terrible time selling the cruises. Given that the prices are more than Celebrity is charging for Millenium, I'm not surprised. So perhaps they'll give up on that & send her to us!

You are not going to see a Radiance class ship on an easy 3/4 day run until all the Vision ships have left the fleet.

I don't see Celebrity taking over the 3/4 day cruises from Royal Caribbean. Celebrity is an upscale line and likely does not want to be known for its booze cruises out of San Pedro.

As the new builds move into the east coast (Independence in 2008, Genesis I in 2009 and Genesis II in 2010) either Royal Caribbean will find that the Vision class earns more sailing from international ports (such as the Rhapsody now, or the Vision in 2009, along with the Enchantment, sooner or later) or a Vision class will come to Los Angeles and resume the 3/4 day run out of San Pedro.

Ah yes No Radiance class but then again by the time all the new builds are in service RCI will be sending the Visions to Pullmantur and the old ships will be the Radiance class. It is inevitable just wait and see......

One of the C&A reps on the Radiance said that their marketing of Rhapsody in Australia isn't working. They tried to place it as the Down Under equivalent of the MR cruises and are having a terrible time selling the cruises. Given that the prices are more than Celebrity is charging for Millenium, I'm not surprised. So perhaps they'll give up on that & send her to us!

Rhapsody might work from LA. It might be easier for RCI to get her back to California than other ships.

I just went to T******** put in cruise search and the Monarch doesn't come up for Baja, Ca after Oct. 13, 2008. So I guess we lose it. I'm on a 4 day in Dec. '07 and can't wait.

That is more or less what started this thread.

I agree with you 100%. Radiance class will not be used for shorter cruises. There are only four of them. They were built to travel faster than the other class ships. RCI will not place them on the shorter runs.

Well if the west coast does get a Vision class ship then you are the lucky ones. Newer ships with more balcony cabins to choose from. I have a feeling that the Monarch won't be around too much longer either.

Archived