Can't believe these grips!

vmom

Personally, I love the people who come to complain about their cruise at the "Cruise Critic" meeting that's posted in the Patter. When it's explained to them that this is a meeting of an internet group and not a gripe session about the cruise they get all pissed off and leave in a huff. Great entertainment!

The problem with most gripers is that they don't plan enough.

I'm going on Crown next month and I've already begun planning what I'm going to complain about. I'm nearly done with my list.

In fact, I've decided to post my review before I go since it'll save me time. After all, I've got my mind made up so don't confuse me with the facts...

A preview of the preview-review:

1) Princess has done nothing since my last cruise to dry up the surface of the ocean... It's still EXTREMELY wet and prone to spray when the bow hits it...

2) The spray is Salty too... WET and SALTY!

3) On my last cruise, there were A LOT of UV rays when it was sunny, a lot! Too many! They didn't provide sunscreen and combined with the SALT SPRAY, you can guess what...

4) The crew was enjoying my misery!! They were having fun with their godaweful UV rays and SALT SPRAY! I know cause they kept smiling at me - all the time - and talking in a light hearted manner; the cretins!!

5) The FOOD (You guessed it terrible! Completely inedible!!! AND in such small portions!)

OH yah! I'm ready to cruise now baby!! ;) :D ;)

Personally, I love the people who come to complain about their cruise at the "Cruise Critic" meeting that's posted in the Patter. When it's explained to them that this is a meeting of an internet group and not a gripe session about the cruise they get all pissed off and leave in a huff. Great entertainment!
Isn't that a riot? I've seen that several times. On the Island Princess, the CD Richard Joseph had arranged for wine, hors d'oeurves and visits by the guest stars on the ship in a lounge. Some people saw it and just joined, leaving when asked what their CC name was. Even though there was a sign outside, they still felt they were entitled to free drinks and entertainment.

I enjoy telling the complainers that if they are that unhappy with the cruise, that they could always get off at the next port and fly home. The blank look on their face is so entertaining! I should take a picture of them next time.

Luvcdays

I would add poor mattresses and bedding. We really like Princess, but they do need to upgrade their mattresses. We are getting tired of using eggrates. Should not have to. It won't stop us from going on another Princess cruise but it did make the difference when we decided to book a HAL trip instead of the Carib. Princess this coming January. They were both about even in our estimation, that is what pushed us to try HAL.

The problem with most gripers is that they don't plan enough.

I'm going on Crown next month and I've already begun planning what I'm going to complain about. I'm nearly done with my list.

In fact, I've decided to post my review before I go since it'll save me time. After all, I've got my mind made up so don't confuse me with the facts...

A preview of the preview-review:

1) Princess has done nothing since my last cruise to dry up the surface of the ocean... It's still EXTREMELY wet and prone to spray when the bow hits it...

2) The spray is Salty too... WET and SALTY!

3) On my last cruise, there were A LOT of UV rays when it was sunny, a lot! Too many! They didn't provide sunscreen and combined with the SALT SPRAY, you can guess what...

4) The crew was enjoying my misery!! They were having fun with their godaweful UV rays and SALT SPRAY! I know cause they kept smiling at me - all the time - and talking in a light hearted manner; the cretins!!

5) The FOOD (You guessed it terrible! Completely inedible!!! AND in such small portions!)

OH yah! I'm ready to cruise now baby!! ;) :D ;)

LOVE it!!! Another one to think about adding: How about there's waves in the water, causing the ship to rock.

Hiltner, I agree with you completly. I have been bashed by several people for my negative review of my recent Diamond cruise. I know that everyone has not had a problem like I did on their cruise but the fact is I did and if my experience helps someone else avoid the same problem then that would be great. I have cruised on several lines also and have my favorites but so far I have never had the perfect cruise. I have never met anyone yet that has. But, any cruise is a good cruise. If everyone that has ever had a luggage problem could see what I did with the luggage handlers they would be very upset also. I would post a few pictures but haven't figured a way to put them on here. Keep up your post, enjoy honest non biased reports.

I hope you have sent those pictures to Princess Customer Relations and if you don't get a response I think I might send copies to a major news service or Travel Mag. If Princess headquarters doesn't know what is happening on board their ships they can't do anything about it. Maybe you can email them to the ship also and let them know how you were treated when you reported the incident while on-board.

To attach pictures here click on the reply button then scroll down to the additional options box and click on "Manage Attachments" the you can browse to the location on your computer where you have the pictures click on one and then click upload. It won't show up in the Message box but will show up when you click on Submit Reply.

The only tales of her many cruises my dear late aunt (may she rot in....:mad: ) could relate were tales of bad service, bad food, stray bugs in her cabin and the dirty "foreigners" who waited on her. Not a word on all the magnificient things she must of seen. When pressed for specifics on the countries she visited, she could only comment on how filthy thier living habits and how immoral the people were. Looking back, I think she loved being miserable and seeing the worst side of everything. Unfortunately, many gripers on these boards are just like her to some degree.

By the way I would like to think she is spending eternity in a small bug-infested inside cabin and only eats bad food served by every ethnic group she hated (come to think of it she didn't like most caucasians either :D ).

With cruise ships accomodating 2,000-3,000 pax at a time, things will go wrong. Things will go wrong that staff can't put right, regardless of their best effort (or less) and best demeanor (or less). Cruisers will have good to great cruises and hopefully only a few will have lesser experiences. Those few, should be welcome to a website with the word "critic" in it. Particularly, when they are notifying fellow cruisers of ship infrastructure breakdowns and the like. (Heck there is a thread on the X forum that has identified a persistant puke smell in a particular spot [the dining room entrance!] on Mercury that the line can't seem to get rid of...)

Fact is though that people are cruising on cheaper fares than 10-15 years ago on better ships (from an amenity standpoint).

If you want a major "guarantee" of unblemished cruisiing, one needs to ante up and go on a more expensive smaller ship.

My favorite complaint of all time: No towel animals.

While on-board the Sea Princess this year, we missed 4 ports of call due to weather. I understand being upset, but people let is ruin their entire 14 day cruise. I do realize that when you plan a vacation, you want it to be PERFECT. The fact that a waiter brought me the wrong meal, or that the banana wasn't peeled for me just isn't a legitimate complaint. It shows just how petty and self-absorbed the complainer really is. Things do go wrong, mistakes happen. Get over it.

When circumstances are beyond your control and there is nothing you can do about it, why make yourself (and everyone within ear shot) miserable? Enjoy the fact that you're on a beautiful ship, away from life's daily pressures, and appreciate what is before you in the HERE and NOW. My motto is: If life hands you lemons, make lemonade. :)

Honestly! A Young Infant Shouldn't Be In The Hot Tub~

That is EXACTLY what I was going to say!

And not because I have anything against kids -- I have two wonderful ones of my own -- but because it is too hot for a young system! Adults should not even stay in for terribly long.

Food seems generate a lot of complaints. It is either too hot or too cold, too bland or too spicy, overcoked or undercooked, and the waitstaff didn't jump to atention as soon as soon as they appeared. I have a friend who was given a certificate to a great restaurant. When I asked him how his meal was, he replied, lousy. Why? They didn't have anything on the menu he could eat. Go figure.

Food seems generate a lot of complaints. It is either too hot or too cold, too bland or too spicy, overcoked or undercooked, and the waitstaff didn't jump to atention as soon as soon as they appeared. I have a friend who was given a certificate to a great restaurant. When I asked him how his meal was, he replied, lousy. Why? They didn't have anything on the menu he could eat. Go figure.

Very true. I love listening to the complaints while onboard. It seems like many people get on a ship, and think that somehow they are dining at the Four Seasons. Now, don't get me wrong, for the number of meals that they produce, cruise lines do a great job. However, the food is basically glorified banquet food. That is why it is so subjective.

When you have been in food service as long as I have, nothing surprises you as it relates to complaints.

Like the old saying goes, you can please some of the people some of the time..................

BTW, hope we don't have any of these types on our upcoming.

Regards,

Chef

Some of the funniest moments ever are on this CC board seeing absurdities like "I'll never sail Princess again because they don't have free ice cream (actually, not true, you just have to know where and when to look) or towel animals." It's like the old joke where a restaurant waiter approaches a table of nasty old women and asks "Ladies, is anything alright?"

We heard complaints on our last cruise on the (new) Royal that the ship was too small (700 pax), and they expected something like a Grand class ship. Who booked the trip? Was anyone paying attention? Should Princess have lengthened the ship for them mid-cruise?

Also heard at the pools on many cruises--the water is too warm, followed later by another saying the water is too cold. How do you fix this? Maybe bring in the diapered children mentioned above as needed to regulate the temperature?

Les

Should Princess have lengthened the ship for them mid-cruise?

that would be the only reasonable thing to expect right;) I just hear this type of stuff and laugh. I do my best to be positive and thankful towards the staff and hope that enough people like me will balance out the people that gripe about anything and everything

The worst (and most selfish) complaint I've heard was that the ship was late to a port because a passenger had to be airlifted off the ship. The complainer was livid that Princess should allow the entire ship to be inconvenienced for one person!:eek: The passenger was a nine year old girl with acute appendicitis. What if she had been YOUR daughter?

The worst (and most selfish) complaint I've heard was that the ship was late to a port because a passenger had to be airlifted off the ship. The complainer was livid that Princess should allow the entire ship to be inconvenienced for one person!:eek: The passenger was a nine year old girl with acute appendicitis. What if she had been YOUR daughter?

Was she singing:

"Me me me!!! The world revolves around me!!!! My convenience before all!!! ME! ME! ME!"

My nasty old bat aunt whom I described earlier was upset on one cruise that they were delayed several hours at a port becuase a "fat, old goat" had a heart attack. Cruiselines, she maintained, should require health screenings.

My nasty old bat aunt whom I described earlier was upset on one cruise that they were delayed several hours at a port becuase a "fat, old goat" had a heart attack.

Doug R. - I hope she never needs medical help on a ship...or has a heart attack...or gains weight. She needs a lesson in compassion.

We prefer the smaller Princess ships and the more intimate atmosphere. There were still complaints - we had a member at our table that held up an excursion bus for an hour because the one they were on didn't have (in his opinon) adequate a/c. That tour got back really, really late and mess up the dining room and made his wife a nervous wreck. The fact that the excursion company made good by getting another bus tells me they went above and beyond.

Charlie

My nasty old bat aunt whom I described earlier was upset on one cruise that they were delayed several hours at a port becuase a "fat, old goat" had a heart attack.

Doug R. - I hope she never needs medical help on a ship...or has a heart attack...or gains weight. She needs a lesson in compassion.

We prefer the smaller Princess ships and the more intimate atmosphere. There were still complaints - we had a member at our table that held up an excursion bus for an hour because the one they were on didn't have (in his opinon) adequate a/c. That tour got back really, really late and mess up the dining room and made his wife a nervous wreck. The fact that the excursion company made good by getting another bus tells me they went above and beyond.

Charlie

Well she will never need medical help again as she has passed on. Officially she died at 94 of heart failure, however I believe that she died of nastiness as she showed little evidence of actually having a heart. She is (so far) the only exception I have made to the rule "Never speak ill of the dead." I could go on and on for hours with cruise stories about her, however no one would believe that one person could be so negative and mean-spirited. If I added stories about interactions with the family I would be accused of outright lying. She fancied herself as the grand matron of the family and attempted to control by threatening to leave us out of her will. After one particularly heated exchange with that threat I yelled back "Hell, I am taking you out of my will." :eek:

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. I sometimes wonder what some of these people would do if they really had something bad happen to them :rolleyes:

We were on the Regal last year to Alaska and about the 3rd day in my room and my mom's room (Aloha deck next to each other) started smelling like chemicals. We went to the purser's desk and told them and they promptly sent someone up to the cabins to try to remedy the smell. Well a woman down the hall from us heard us talking to the maintenance guy and all of a sudden her's smelled too. (we had asked her before and she said it didn't).... Later that day we saw her at the purser's desk complaining and wanting something for her troubles...I just rolled my eyes. I was impressed how quickly they got on the problem, turned out they were painting on the top deck giving us this smell and was quickly remedied by not opening our balcony door until it was dry...no big deal to us..oh forgot they totally disenfected our rooms too

Doug R...you are cracking me up with stories of your aunt. My mother's sister (I refuse to call her "aunt") was so mean and hateful to me. One night I had enough and told her "cut me out of your fing will". (my sister later asked where that language came from LOL). Well now she is suffering from Alzheimer's and doesn't know who the heck I am when I go to check on her (mom lives too far away and being the nice soul that I am, I do it only for my mom). Kind of takes the wind out of my sails to say "I know you hated me, were mean to me, and what goes around comes around"...when she doesn't know who I am....so when the nurses tell me how sweet and kind she is..........I want to yell at the top of my lungs "you don't know what a witch she was to me when I was growing up". I keep thinking there was a reason for her being in our family and one day it will come to me (hopefully while I am on a cruise enjoying the heck out of myself)

...Or the people who gripe because the particular ship/cruise line doesn't do something just like another cruise line does (ie...towel animals, ice cream machines with soft serve). Each cruise line does their own thing...accept each for what it has to offer.

We just got off the Crown Princess yesterday and experienced people complaining about lack of 24/7 free ice cream (WHO can eat all that ice cream, and isn't there plenty of other foods that you can't get at home anyway?) and lack of towel animals! We received a towel monkey on Thursday night (2nd formal night) and when we came into the room at about midnight, my hubby was startled! This was his first cruise, and he suddenly blurts out "what the hell is THAT?" and I just said "oh, it's a towel monkey!" The room was rather dark and it was hanging from the A/C vent near the balcony slider -- he could not imagine what was hanging there. The rest of the cruise he kept saying "why a towel monkey? why do they do that? HOW do they do that?" We could have easily gotten through without it, but it was rather funny and we took photos -- even put a banana on it for the photo op! We mentioned to a few people that we got a towel monkey and boy did we open a can of worms! Everyone was upset that THEY did not get a towel monkey! Now, I can see how kids might enjoy it, especially if they have cruised before and gotten them. But there were only 30 kids on the cruise (per the Passenger Services Director, who attended our Cruise Critic M&Ms), so I don't get why people would be so disappointed in a lack of towel animals!

Archived