HAL Cruise Insurance Rip-Off

kdowneymd

The Hawaii cruise is one of the longest without any available ports. However, I am sure that there must be some sort of MedEvac available. I don't even know if a chopper can make it that far. I hope it can. Most ships have a helipad available someplace, especially the big ones. I have often read of medevacs being made while the ship is at sea.

The cost, of course, would be tremendous. This is another reason for having the cruise insurance. Many people only think of cancellation coverage, but the medical evacuation provision is extremely important.

Interesting post -On our last Hawaii cruise we experienced a MedEvac - Weather conditions were not good - it wasn't so much a real Medivac - more a delivery of some much needed meds for a passenger (guest in HAL's terminology) in distress.

Lower Promenade deck was mobbed, we were all 'hanging over the rails'. The ship had stopped - all eyes were fixed on the approaching helicopter - we saw the meds package (a small 'thing' attached to a miniature parachute) float down - HAL lifeboats (already lowered) took off, intent on picking up the package.

It took 3 passes (and 3 drops) by the hovering helicopter to get it right - wind direction, speed etc. etc. - all were factors. The helicopter pilots, the ship, all did exactly what was required - Mother Nature did things her way. Passengers (aka- HAL guests) were kept informed-- The patient received what was required and all turned out well - we returned to port as scheduled - give or take a few hours!

Several (most I'd say} HAL ships do have 'helicopter landing space' available.

I recently booked a 12 day HAL cruise Venice to Venice through AMEX. At the time of booking I chose the HAL cruise insurance giving a $2000 deposit, $800 ($400 each) which was the insurance. Ten days later I needed to cancel. I received a 1200 refund. AMEX and HAL stated that the insurance was non-refundable, this is the HAL policy not AMEX! For all of a 10 day booking, they keep my $800. Yes the cruise documents state at the very bottom of the insurance document, it is non-refundable but I had already given my deposit at the point the document was sent. I will NOT book with HAL again I consider this gross over-charging and ripping off the customer at best. I have never experienced this with Celebrity or RCCL. Yes, Let the buyer beware! HAL is out of line

HAL publishes that information on their website and in every single brochure they publish...

So, what's the problem?

And that "24 hours prior' clause - well much can go wrong in those last 24 hours. What about being involved in a car smash up enroute to the airport or departure port? What about your home being broken into the night before the cruise?......you get my drift.

We did once have to cancel a cruise the morning we were due to sail - emergency surgery in the middle of the night! quote]

Willie, HAL's Platinum (the only one that is actually insurance) would have paid you 100% back if you were injured enroute to the airport or had emergency surgery. The 24 hours prior at 90% back is just for the Cancel for Any Reason (and you don't need to give one) portion of the policy.

kdowneymd........

This has been a very interesting thread and I thank you for posting it. It is information about which I was aware but the thoroughness with which it is being discussed is good for all of us to review.

IF you choose to book another HAL cruise, and you TRY to have this insurance transferred to that booking, would you advise us if that is permitted? Seeing as AmEx is not free of blame in this situation IMO, I hope they are strong advocates for you having HAL transfer your insurance to a new booking.

Sorry you had to cancel and hope you do rebook.

We buy our travel insurance the day before we make our final payment.

The policy that covers preexisting conditions was just a small cost over the policy quote we received at booking (14 months in advance).

We were extremely lucky with a cruise to SE Asia that we chose to cancel.

We bought travel insurance within a week of booking. Decided not to take the cruise as we wanted to take two other trips that would not be offered again for a few years. We called Insure My Trip and they were able to have the insurer transfer the policy from the cruise to the tour to Italy. The insurer even made a refund for the difference in the cost.

If we had simply changed our minds about the cruise then we would have been out the cost of the insurance.

We now wait to buy the insurance just in case our plans to travel change (be it change of heart, illness or family matters) -- we just don't want to have our pocketbook bear the brunt of those changes.

IMHO waiting to buy insurance is a better option.

So sorry for the loss of $800 - I know that is a bitter pill to swallow.

When you do this and have to cancel your trip, what does this do to your airfare? Would the insurance companies cover that since it's well after your final payment for that (since you have to pay in full when you book?)

The policy that covers preexisting conditions was just a small cost over the policy quote we received at booking (14 months in advance).

We were extremely lucky with a cruise to SE Asia that we chose to cancel.

We bought travel insurance within a week of booking. Decided not to take the cruise as we wanted to take two other trips that would not be offered again for a few years. We called Insure My Trip and they were able to have the insurer transfer the policy from the cruise to the tour to Italy. The insurer even made a refund for the difference in the cost.

If we had simply changed our minds about the cruise then we would have been out the cost of the insurance.

We now wait to buy the insurance just in case our plans to travel change (be it change of heart, illness or family matters) -- we just don't want to have our pocketbook bear the brunt of those changes.

IMHO waiting to buy insurance is a better option.

So sorry for the loss of $800 - I know that is a bitter pill to swallow.

Bobbi and David.....

Is it the CSA Luxe or HTH policy that you purchase? Or is there another we haven't heard mentioned? Your post is very interesting to me. Thanks for it.

If purchasing cruise only and buying your own air is there any advantage in buying HAL's insurance for the cruise and separate air cancellation insurance?...Is there cancellation insurance available just for air?

The last couple of trips we have used FFmiles (as well as a trip to Montreal last year). All the airlines that I have looked into on-line offer insurance for covered reasons. You have to purchase it at the time you buy your non-refunadable plane tickets. I would look into what the airlines are using and that insurance option for the tickets.

This brings up a good point because what do people do who purchase air on their own 8 months out but wait until final payment of the cruise two months out to buy travel insurance? How can non-refundable air be covered when the insurance is bought for it months later? If that was the case wouldn't some folks who have a medical/covered reason try to buy insurance later to get the air refunded (I understand that would be fraud - but I think that is why the airlines insurance has to be bought at payment).

When you do this and have to cancel your trip, what does this do to your airfare? Would the insurance companies cover that since it's well after your final payment for that (since you have to pay in full when you book?)

I have a few specific questions to ask about the insurance for our 2008 cruises.

I will check on airfare - it seems to me that if they insure the non refundable portions of ones trip only - and if the airline allows a credit good for one year - then insurance would not apply.

We used FF miles for Alaska on HAL and purchased our tickets last month for our June Baltic cruise on Oceania.

Bobbi and David.....

Is it the CSA Luxe or HTH policy that you purchase? Or is there another we haven't heard mentioned? Your post is very interesting to me. Thanks for it.

Just checked the Istanbul folder and the insurance was from CSA purchased via Insure My Trip dot com. I spoke with a rep to make sure of the details and was pleased with the answers.

We have more questions for our 2008 cruises and will ask about specifics on topics like missed plane connections and lost luaggage. Seems that these happen more often. We like to arrive a day or two before the cruise to be one the safe side and to tour the port city.

Great thread.

OK let's talk airfare.

So if you book, with HAL the cruise, the cruise air, and an air deviation fee and purchase the CPP, then cancel 10 days later. Do you get the full amount of the cruise, air, and air dev fee? Is HAL CCP assuming some liability right up front if you do air through HAL at booking time?

Regarding third party insurance, I think you are insuring the cost of the the entire trip (actual expenses incurred) no matter how booked or when booked. So with CSA and HTH, I think you can book your air and your cruise early, and buy the insurance near final payemnt for the cruise and both will be covered.

the devil is in the details.

Archived