What happens if you lose your S&S card?

Terre

I left mine in my slacks the last night of the cruise then packed them in the luggage that went into the hall for pickup. Next morning when I realized what I had done, I just ran down to the Purser's desk and they made me a new one. They said I had to have it to disembark. :o

My son lost his when we got off the ship in San Juan. When we got back onboard the ship, they just hand checked him on the manifest and let him back on (we let him sweat it out awhile thinking he'd be left behind in San Jaun...LOL). We then went to the Purser's Desk and they cancelled out his previous one, and issued him a new one.

Funny you should ask.

When we debarked in Encenada, my wife had some problem trying to scan her card in and it took some assistance from the crew member. When she next looked at her card several hours later she saw some guy's name on it and a date from 5 months before our cruise.

I tried to convince her that Spanish is an easy language to learn, that it's not that far to walk back to LA and that I find a good home for her remaining desserts, but she insisted on trying to board anyway.

At the gangway, as soon as she tried to explain her predicament, they told her to just scan the card. The machine squawked. They took the card then handed her back her card and told her to scan it. The machine then said "you have a message waiting for you." End of story.

Moral of the story: once you've paid your money, they want the cruise pleasant, not to give you cause to worry. So don't worry.

My 12 year old son left his at the Paris Restaurant on the last night of our Paradise cruise in July. I called the Purser's desk to see if this would be a problem. We were told that we needed it to disembark, so he needed to get a new one. Not only that, but all 5 of our cards would need to be reissued....crazy, since we were getting off the boat one hour later. The line at the desk was around the corner and out the door with everyone arguing S & S charges....luckily, I decided to go to the Paris Restaurant and they had placed my son's card at the register so we didn't need to get new ones....but, we did need our cards to disembark.....I guess just to prove we actually left the ship and weren't hiding somewhere (which I considered, ha!) to stay on for another week.

Terre, in the Atrium you will see a huge row of blown up photos... that is the "These people lost their S&S Cards Hall of Shame"... they also announce it at 2PM on the Lido Deck :p LOL... We lost one of ours a couple of times :eek: Just go to the Pursers Desk... we went once at 4AM and they were happy to oblige...

Just to add a note about the kids soda card. If you keep a reciept its easier to get a new soda card. But do your kids a favor and get them something they can attach the cards to- like a photo holder they can wear around their neck or on a keyholder attached to their pants. Kids have a hard time when they gotta take tstuff in and out of their pockets. besides- how many shorts have pockets.

You need to run it through the ping-pong machine one last time when you leave the ship for good.

When we sailed the Connie from Barcelona around the Mediterannean in 2002, I was impressed with the use of the card scanners that brought up our photos each time we got on or off the ship. Then came final debarcation in Barcelona. We just walked off the ship. The machines were shut down! It really seemed dumb that they have such a good system available to determine who has left the ship and didn't use it.

Has anyone ever lost their sign and sail card? How easy was it to get another one, what did you have to do?:confused:
Make sure that you report it as soon as you realize you've misplaced it !!!:(

When we were on the Pride, a group of us left the Starry Night Lounge and headed to bed for the night. My uncle couldn't find his S&S card when he returned to his cabin, knocked on the door and his daughter let him in. He figured he'd get a new one in the morning. Upon going to the Purser's desk early the next morning, he learned that not only had his card NOT been turned in, but it HAD been used! YIKES! :eek: About $100. worth of drinks had been charged, but after a little investigation (thanks to the cameras!) and a day of sweating it out, the charges were reversed. A potentially costly lesson learned by us all - report it ASAP!!!

You just go to the Purser's desk and they will cancel your old card and issue you a new one.

Of course the person waiting on you will step back in the office and whisper something to another clerk. That one will look at you over the whisperer's shoulder. They'll both snicker a little. Then the second person will get their heads together with another person in the office. You'll notice them buzzing back and forth and glancing in your direction and giggling a bit. Then that third person will call to a crewmember passing by, more whispering, more sideways over the shoulder glances at you. Then the crewmember will belly laugh and walk off. Glancing back at you a final time, and shaking their head, before continuing on the way.

So a lost card is no big deal, you will get over it in years to come.:eek: :p :D

Dan

hstry: I hope they ask for more then a cabin number because all i'd have to do is go there...ask for a cabin number--get a sign and sail card--then I can have access to that cabin?? even asking for a name and a number- Ever hear converstaions when passing people. This information is so readily available. I would hope they ask for id.

Dan,

I love your reply! That's the kind of thing I was afraid of!:eek:

I, too would think that you'd have to provide some kind of ID, driver's license, passport, etc., but then if you can't get in your room...:rolleyes:

When you go the pursers desk and they ask you your cabin number - they go to a computer and pull up your cabin number and up pops the picture you took when you first got on the ship - they can look at you and the picture on the computer and verify that it is you. That is why they ask you take hats and sunglasses off when you have the picture taken.

A friend lost hers on Fantasy a few years ago... the photo you took is in their computer. They made her another card and when we got off ship at the next port, the same photo from the first day popped up on the screen. They just inactivate the old card in the computer so no one can use it to spend money or enter your room.

On the Miracle this summer my daughter "lost" hers the night B4 disembarkation. After tearing apart the cabin and all the luggage we packed up to put out in the hall, we still hadn't found it. Went to the pursers desk and they said don't ever waste your time looking, just come and get a new one. Asked her for picture ID and within a minute she was set. Too bad we wasted about an hour on the last night.

**(found it in the wash when we got home). Suprise, suprise....

The picture of you is on their computer system. It is not stored on the card. The magnetic strip holds your Folio number (That is why it is so important to hold on to that cars with the same importance as a credit card), room information, and if you use it for your door key the lock information. This is why when one card is lost, you have to get all in the room to redo their cards. It happens a lot and the Pursers have a dedicated computer just to renew S/S cards

My dh (in this case dumb husband not dear husband) rented some snorkling equipment in Grand Cayman at the local beach there. They required he leave his sail and sign card which would be returned to him when he returned the snorkling equpment.

Well he snorkled too long and hurriedly returned the equip. and did not think a blink about the card. Not until he and our daughter returned to where the tender was for ship did they think about it. He had to take a cab back. they had said return to tender spot by 1:30p.m. because everyone had to be back on ship by 2p.m. well daughter found me told me this and it was like 2:30 and still no hubby-I was frantic but was told by the officers that 500 were still not yet boarded and the ship swould not leave 500 people. They also said if he could not find his s & s if he had picture ID he would be allowed back on ship and another card would be made for him.

Anyway he made it-had been back at the spot for tender before 2 p.m. there was just a huge line of people waiting for the Carnival tender-so he was close to 4 p.m. getting on-he was on the next to last boat tender. I think the ship left like 4:30 p.m.

Archived