RCCL jobs and salary

I am interested in getting a job with RCCL, maybe as a Purser. I have been to royalcaribbean.hire.com and looked at the posting. Only problem is that nothing is listed about salary. I have a friend who is a waiter and I know they work basically off of tips on (small, small pay from RCCL). As a Purser, there are no tips, so I'm assuming a salary??? Any ideas of an e-mail or phone number of someone I can get in touch with?

I am interested in getting a job with RCCL, maybe as a Purser. I have been to royalcaribbean.hire.com and looked at the posting. Only problem is that nothing is listed about salary. I have a friend who is a waiter and I know they work basically off of tips on (small, small pay from RCCL). As a Purser, there are no tips, so I'm assuming a salary??? Any ideas of an e-mail or phone number of someone I can get in touch with?

I can't say anything about pursers but I think room attendants and waiters (in lounges) make around 150-200 week (plus free housing, free food) plus tips. But its hard to say what each job description makes and is because you have to be quite flexible and do other things onboard as well.

From what my friend has told me, she makes no where near that amount from RCCL (not $150-$200 per week). She is a waiter--not assistant and has been there many years. Basically everything is from tips..........

However, she has no idea about other positions on the ship. Hoping someone here can help.

From what my friend has told me, she makes no where near that amount from RCCL (not $150-$200 per week). She is a waiter--not assistant and has been there many years. Basically everything is from tips..........

However, she has no idea about other positions on the ship. Hoping someone here can help.

I can't verify the amounts though. It came about during a casual conversation. I really don't know.

Hi, I am recruiting for the cruise industry and have also recruited for RCI a few years ago. Unfortunately I can't give you additional info due to the advertisement limits on this board.

You have two options, either use a legitimate recruitment agent or, and this I suggest strongly, send your full application INCLUDING photograph and any supporting employment references to the RCI head office in Miami, c/o Human Resources, Fleet Personnel. If you are looking for an Assistant Purser or 3rd Purser vacancy, you will need to have relevant previous experience within the hospitality industry ie. Reception, etc . The salary varies but you can expect to receive a fixed salary which is not supplemented by gratuities as it is the case with Restaurant staff. I haven't worked with RCI for a few years but I would suggest that the salary for an entry level position within the Purser's Department is approximately around USD 1200,00 per month. But please do not hold me to this figure, it is a rough estimate! Other things to think about: shared cabin, meals and uniforms provided and paid for, 6 months contracts, 2 month unpaid vacation, etc ....Good Luck!

Daniela

Your friend is correct...they do not make a good salary as a waiter...they do rely mostly on tips...that is why it is such a shame when people don't tip them...and as you know...people don't tip them. Sad but true.

Wish we could get someone who knows something about websites to get a job with RCCL.:D Maybe we could even take up a collection on these boards for his/her salary.

Hi, I am recruiting for the cruise industry and have also recruited for RCI a few years ago. Unfortunately I can't give you additional info due to the advertisement limits on this board.

You have two options, either use a legitimate recruitment agent or, and this I suggest strongly, send your full application INCLUDING photograph and any supporting employment references to the RCI head office in Miami, c/o Human Resources, Fleet Personnel. If you are looking for an Assistant Purser or 3rd Purser vacancy, you will need to have relevant previous experience within the hospitality industry ie. Reception, etc . The salary varies but you can expect to receive a fixed salary which is not supplemented by gratuities as it is the case with Restaurant staff. I haven't worked with RCI for a few years but I would suggest that the salary for an entry level position within the Purser's Department is approximately around USD 1200,00 per month. But please do not hold me to this figure, it is a rough estimate! Other things to think about: shared cabin, meals and uniforms provided and paid for, 6 months contracts, 2 month unpaid vacation, etc ....Good Luck!

Daniela

Would you recomend a cruise job for someone just out of high school and maybe not ready for college at this moment? My daughter is going to be graduating from high school this year. She's in all honors classes and very smart. Loves the art, theatre, and talking to people in general. She wants to see what's out there before college? What do you think? Can you recomend a cruise line?

Thanks!

Ron

rdbradleyjr@yahoo.com

I had a conversation with staff on baord this month. The pay for waiting staff in Windjammer is $50 per month, no tips. However it seems that the staff rotate between Windjammer and the main restaurant wher obviously they hope to boost their pay with tips. Our dining room waitress had maximum of 12 covers per sitting, so max earnings in tips, if everyone paid according to recommended guidelines would be $2520 per month. However she said that the tipping rate had been around 30% of passengers, I don't know if that reflects the english passengers who seem reluctant to tip, or the fact that her service was not particularly good.

Several years ago - on Grandeur - I talked to our waiter about salary. He stated that they make no salary. They work strictly on tips, plus room and board.

If they receive good ratings on the surveys at the end of the cruise, they may be given more tables on subsequent cruises, and thus have the opportunity to make more in tips. If they aren't rated so well, they may lose tables, and thus make less in tips.

Several years ago - on Grandeur - I talked to our waiter about salary. He stated that they make no salary. They work strictly on tips, plus room and board.

If they receive good ratings on the surveys at the end of the cruise, they may be given more tables on subsequent cruises, and thus have the opportunity to make more in tips. If they aren't rated so well, they may lose tables, and thus make less in tips.

I would think in this day and age that would be against the laws to make no salary or hourly rate! I would assume they must make a base amount no matter how small plus tips. But I've been wrong before.

Would you recomend a cruise job for someone just out of high school and maybe not ready for college at this moment? My daughter is going to be graduating from high school this year. She's in all honors classes and very smart. Loves the art, theatre, and talking to people in general. She wants to see what's out there before college? What do you think? Can you recomend a cruise line?

Thanks!

Ron

rdbradleyjr@yahoo.com

Unless she is planning to be one of the dancers or other entertainers ,many of the better jobs on a cruise ship require hotel management training or degrees. Maybe she should look into hotel management programs at a junior college or similar to see if she is interested. It is so hard at 18 deciding what you want to do for the rest of your life. Heck, I am 48 and still trying to decided what I want to be! :p

I would think in this day and age that would be against the laws to make no salary or hourly rate! I would assume they must make a base amount no matter how small plus tips. But I've been wrong before.

This is one of the many reasons why most cruise ships are registered under a "flag of convenience" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_convenience

That would be true if US Employment laws applied, one reason the ships are foreigh flagged is to eliminate need to adhere to many of the US Laws.

USCG rules still apply along with SOLAS so no skipping that lifeboat drill...:D

Daniela

I have a few questions- if you could drop me an email at cldude126@msn.com, that would be great!

Thanks,

Joe

It's not against any laws, and it is part of the collective bargaining agreement negotiated between their union (Norwegian Seafarers Union) and Royal Caribbean.

In addition to the $50/mo salary, they get room, board, medical care, sick pay, etc. Also, there is a guaranteed minimum salary level (if they don't make it in tips, the cruiseline pays the difference), the last I heard it was around $700-800/mo.

If their were any halfway decent salaries to be made, you would see more Americans working on the ships.. I usually see maybe 1 or 2 the entire cruise...

Americans are subject to income tax on salaries earned at sea. Many other countries have exemptions when you are not working in your own country, but you also lose benefits because you aren't in your home country, like medical and pension plan. That is the biggest reason you see so few Americans on the ships.

You may in the next few years see more Americans on the ships as the value of the US dollar decreases and it is more difficult to get quality employees on the ships. In the past few months the value of the US dollar has decreased by about 20%, which means that real salaries have decreased by 20% for much of the cruise lines personnel. They will have to make a number of choices over the next few months/years to deal with this salary decrease. Either accepting people with lower qualifications or increasing salaries and therefore prices.

After our Enchantment cruise, we felt the hardest job on the ship was the waitstaff. Our head waiter worked breakfast & lunch in the dining room & then 2 dinner seatings. We saw our assistant waiter workiing Windjammer every morning at breakfast. That's pretty much sunrise to sundown. Our waiter told us on the night of the GALA buffet, he got 3 hours sleep. You would never know it from the service he provided us at late seating. This really was at the end of his day. We tipped both waiters extra b/c the service was great. You never would know they had been working so many hours. Erkhan, from Turkey, & his assistant, In, from Indonesia, were great!!!

Thanks!

Ron

rdbradleyjr@yahoo.com

From my understanding all cruise staff from the us have to be at least 21 years of age.

Archived