AA....Fees for tickets.

sail7seas

Received this in an e-mail today.

Thank you for your business. To help us continue to offer high value and effectively compete in a fiercely competitive marketplace, American Airlines and American Eagle® will implement a $5 service fee for those tickets purchased via our U.S. reservations centers and a $10 fee for tickets purchased at U.S. airport locations. There is no booking fee for self-booking and ticketing on AA.com®.

Effective Monday, September 6, 2004, the non-refundable fee will apply per ticket, whether it is one-way or roundtrip, and also will apply to tickets redeemed as AAdvantage® program awards.

These steps are necessary to ensure that we can compete effectively in a marketplace where charging fees for personalized, value-added services is becoming a common practice. Low-cost carriers often charge a fee on tickets issued with the help of their reservations center or airport staff.

We appreciate your business and your continuing loyalty to American Airlines.

Sincerely,

Dan Garton

Executive Vice President - Marketing

I am a flight attendant for AA and yes it would be cheaper and will elimate the fee if you book direct on line though AA.com....AA is trying very hard to compete with airlines such as Southwest and especially JetBlue.....AA has downsized by elimating many jobs:( :(

The online purchase is very easy and the new check-in services at the airport has really elimated long lines and once you get use to it it takes almost no time to get though the checkin....

Deb

Hi Debi D

We are flying A eagle to Chicago and then on AA Sept 14 to London, England. I have done the online check-in and printed boarding passes before when I was flying in the states and when I didn't have any luggage to check. Can I check in for the international flight and all on AA.com and then just take my luggage to the luggage check and skip the counter at the airport?

Thanks

jc

The Travelocity fee is what Travelocity charges. This new AA fee is on top of that. I have booked directly with airline websites for quite a while when they can offer the best price. Sometimes, however, it's still been cheaper to go to Travelocity or Orbitz to get the ticket ... even with their $10 fee. The main advantage to me of going direct with the airline website is being able to then print my boarding pass at home and head right for the gate once I arrive at the airport, and not have to stand in line to check in once I'm there.

I'm not Jim, but I can answer about checking in the luggage. You can check it with the skycaps or at the counter. Checking luggage does eliminate some of the benefits of online boarding passes.

However, it is nice to be able to change your seat, if needed, before the airport rush.

I'm not sure about international travel, but for domestic travel you can check your bag at curbside once you arrive at the airport (in those locations that offer curbside service.) Something tells me that for international travel that you have to present yourself with passport to be checked in.

What about if you are traveling with luggage you need to check, Jim?
You would still have to go through the line, but it seems that the check in was a lot quicker. Just did that this weekend with Northwest Airlines. They had the Kiosks set up and we just entered our confirmation code, gave them our luggage and we were set.

If you us the new machines that they have at the check in counters they can check your passports there and take your luggage from there. It really is much better to go on line and print out all the information from the website.

JC-I believe you can check yourself all the way though on American Eagle when you check in for your first flight unless you are doing this on two seperate days. I am based in Boston and I know you can check yourself all the way though from either curbside (the skycabs will look over your passport) or the machines.

Deb

jc - if you are flying you first leg domestic you should check in 90 minutes prior your flight and if you are flying your international flight first the 120 minutes prior flight. Have fun and you are going to love the 777 aircraft that AA uses to go to Europe, the plane is huge.....

Deb

Cool, hopefully there will be a nice row of empty seats for me to make a bed in! :D As if I can sleep on a plane.:eek:

Actually, I was wondering how long before I fly out a week from Tuesday can I go to AA.com and print my boarding passes.:confused:

thanks again.:cool:

jc

We also got that e-mail this morning from AA.

It has been awhile since we have flown AA so let me see if I have this correct.

We booked our first class tickets for San Diego via Dallas.

We can print out our boarding passed on line 24 hours before actual flight time.

And we can check our bags right at the curb in Pittsburgh.

Right?

What about if you are traveling with luggage you need to check, Jim?

If traveling AA with luggage to check, you're better off using the in-terminal check-in machine (which also does baggage checking) rather then the on-line checking (which doesn't). For Southwest, on the other hand, you need to stand in line to see the ticket agent in person to check bags (or use curbside). Other airlines may have different policies.

Its also been announced that Ryanair (European lowfare airline) is going to stop accepting checked bags entirely.

-dave

We also got that e-mail this morning from AA.

It has been awhile since we have flown AA so let me see if I have this correct.

We booked our first class tickets for San Diego via Dallas.

We can print out our boarding passed on line 24 hours before actual flight time.

And we can check our bags right at the curb in Pittsburgh.

Right?

Right, but if you have to check bags then there's no advantage to on-line chek-in (and does use your ink and paper! :rolleyes: )

-dave

Right, but if you have to check bags then there's no advantage to on-line chek-in (and does use your ink and paper! :rolleyes: )

-dave

If you use frequent flyer mileage programs, many offer extra miles for online check-in. They also offer it for purchasing tickets online.

From AA.com

Flight Check-In on AA.com

To locate your nearest ticket counter, locate your nearest printer. That's Flight Check-In on AA.com. It's just that easy. Whenever you travel on a U.S. domestic electronic ticket and you have access to the Internet and a printer, you have access to a boarding pass. Arrive at the airport with everything you need and you can head straight for your gate. Passengers with domestic e-tickets may check in on AA.com anytime from 24 hours to one hour prior to departure. Flight Check-In is available for travel in the United States (including Alaska and Hawaii), Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

This was on the news not too long ago. This type of policy is going to occur with most of the airlines eventually. They are trying to reduce head counts and encourage people to book online. I don't know what to think about the extra charge except I think it's unfair to many who don't have internet access (yes, there are still plenty of people out there who do not). I normally book my airflights directly through the airline online.

We decided to book quite a few airline tickets for the next 3 cruises on line ourselves because AAA (where our TA is) prices are running quite a few dollars more - Pittsburgh to San Diego round trip - over $1000 more per person for first class.

Round trip to Ft Lauderdale first class on line was $520+ while AAA prices were $1800+ for first class - big difference.

Archived