Have you ever Gotten Home After a Cruise.........

sail7seas

And when you were back home said to yourself......"Darn, I wish we had done/eaten/bought something during our cruise........????

Nope. We always operate on the principal that we might never pass that way again, so if there's something we want (or want to do) we need to get it (or do it) then.

It was a lesson learned the hard way. AS a New Englander, I always thought I should take up skiing, but never found the time to learn. Now that I have the time, I can't imagine being a 60-year old novice! :)

-dave

On my first cruise my first wife dragged me on a tour that I didn't want to take in Jamaica. I agreed on the condition that we could do the parasailing after the tour. The last stop of the tour was the marketplace. You know the one where you get dropped off to look at local crafts you'd never consider buying if you weren't on vacation. They gave everyone the option of going there or first being dropped off at the ship. I wanted to go back to the ship and go parasailing. My wife decided to go to the marketplace. By the time she made it back (I didn't go with her) it was too late. The tour operator promised we'd be back in time, but I figure it didn't matter as much to him as to us if we missed the ship. So we never did that.

Good ending. Went parasailing with current DW on our honeymoon.:)

On our very first cruise on the Monarch of the Seas one of the shows was a Tribute Band to the Beatles. Because DH and I were both tired we went back to our cabin. The next day everyone was talking about how great they were and that they felt like they were actually watching the Beatles. I still regret that we did not go.

When we were in Roatan, I found these hand-turned Honduran Mahogany salad bowl sets - perfectly beautiful and well priced! I didn't want to carry them on our snorkeling excursion, so I decided to stop by on the way back to the ship. Turned out we were the last excursion returning to the ship and all the souvenier shops were closed...

:-(

Ate at the Lido Bar-b-que that night - should've dined in the Vista...

...and after being ignored and forgotten in the "relaxation room" in the spa the first time, I shouldn't have taken my massage later in the week (it definately wasn't worth the time or trouble...)

When we were in Roatan, I found these hand-turned Honduran Mahogany salad bowl sets - perfectly beautiful and well priced!

I bought a really beautiful coaster set there in a round Mahogany container which cracked within a year but a friend got a set too and her's are fine. Even though it cracked, I wish I had gotten a few more sets as gifts, they were really very inexpensive.

Once we got back from our excursion, we had very little time to shop before they closed up. They were some of the sweetest people I have ever met, these little boys were trying to sell us huge conch shells and there was no way I was going to lug them back so I bought 2 then told them to keep the shells.

This seems appropriate.....It is often said that when we get older and look back over our lives, the most regrets are for the things we did not do....not the things we did do.

As for us, we try and pack in all that we can when we are traveling....fewer regrets later.

Dakrewser: I once knew a man who was 80 who had just started to learn to ski because a great-grandchild wanted to learn. He had been to the mountains several times and never learned. The child was born without a foot and the ski instructor wanted an adult with him. Mom and Dad were away for the week so great-grandpa got elected. I was 19 at the time and laughed about it for a long time.

Because of the above I never say that I can learn something new. I am disabled but willing to try diffent things. It drives my family and doctor's up a wall sometimes. Yes, I listen to advise still ie I use a life jacket (in the water) at all times since I do not know when I will tire as I have MS. I way the risks involved to me and those with me.

DFD....Yes, I think more of us, when we are older, will regret things we did not do than things we did. I suppose that is the basis for my question....not that I'm all THAT Old yet!! :)
Sail,

We of course assumed that you're wondering what to expect when you get older.;)

But I have been waffling back and forth over the dolphin encounter and the dolphin swim in Nassau (probably on our own, not through HAL). The swim is just under double the cost of the encounter and for two people, that is a fairly tidy sum. Yesterday I made the decision to do the swim, I never want to have the regret of not doing the swim in the future.

Kind of a coincidence this thread should appear today :)

Dakrewser: I once knew a man who was 80 who had just started to learn to ski...

I way the risks involved to me and those with me.

The risks = and the rewards. I may take up skiing some day, but there are too many places I want to see, too many other things I want to do - all of which would be hampered by a broken leg. THat doesn't mean I'm ready to be put out to pasture though, not by a long shot! :)

-dave

The next cruise I go on I want to Jet Ski.

On of those things I have always wanted to try and never got around to. Last cruise I was on we were with a large group and ended up doing other things (which we also enjoyed immensely) but just didn't get around to jet skiing.

Thanks, Orcrone...... :D

What a Pal!!! :p

I am determined I will parasail at HMC the first time doctors give me an okay. (Hopefully on our October cruise.....if HMC isn't too damaged and we get to go there.) I have always wanted to do it but somehow never 'signed up' in time and then regretted it.

1. Wish I had dragged Jim out of bed and done the WaveRunner thing we planned
  2. Wish we had tried the Pinnacle for breakfast and lunch
  3. Wish we had stayed on another week when the discount was offered
  4. Wish I had found a Texas HoldEm game for Jim so I could go to the spa more
  5. Wish we had rented a HMC Cabana (we will in November)
  6. Wish I had brought the laptop for a head start on my review that I still haven't finished

Archived