does the address on your ship luggage tags need to match your passport address?

wxtrix

I'm travelling with my fiance and we do not live together, so my passport reflects my own home address. however, if my bags were somehow to go awry at the port prior to my getting on the ship, I'd prefer that, if it came to that, the bags were sent to his home address. in that the cruise is international travel, I don't want to cause any problems if the address on the tag is compared to the passenger information and then they don't match.

thanks for any information. :)

As previously posted, they do not check & compare addresses (like they do names!). Hopefully, your suitcases will arrive with you! But in case they do take a trip of their own, make sure you two cross pack (some of yours in his and some of his in yours- try to get complete outfits, if possible). Also, in addition to an appropriate address on the luggage tags, consider putting your cell phone number on the tags- assuming you will have the phone with you on the trip. We even put our itinerary somewhere in an outer pocket- so it's hopefully found asap. If possible, they will try to get the luggage to you (at a port of call), rather than send it back to your home address.

Have a great trip!

I've always put my office address on my tags (actually I just insert a business card) - that way no dishonest baggage handler from your home airport can let his/her dishonest friends know which family is away for vacation.

my passport doesn't even list my address??? is this a new thing or is it just hidden in really fine print somewhere?

US Passports never had your address "printed" on it; there's a page for you to write your address and emergency contact info, with a pencil.

:)

US Passports never had your address "printed" on it; there's a page for you to write your address and emergency contact info, with a pencil.

:)

oh ok, lol i got confused there...i figured if it's good for 10 whole years it would be silly for them to print it right on there, seeing as people move.

Be sure you have a luggage tag on every bag giving your name and any address you wish.

I think they check the luggage against the manifest to be sure the bags being loaded belong to someone actually flying. If there is no tag, they could fail to load the bag.

(I haven't figured out how that rule works in the cases where airline loses luggage and it doesn't fly on the plane it is supposed to. How do they load it onto another plane the owner is not flying on? None of the luggage that doesn't arrive with us would ever be able to be forwarded.)

I guess I meant "the address NCL has on file as part of the booking" but I didn't have enough coffee when I posted this morning. :rolleyes: :p but some folks--who probably had more coffee than I did--did understand and I thank you all again. :)

You can buy a luggage tag with a place to insert your itinerary. The one Magellan's sells has instructions to the baggage people that the itinerary is inside. The instructions are in 6 or so languages. If you are going on a cruise, for example, and your bags don't meet you, the itinerary could tell the baggage department where your stops are on any given day. Makes it a lot easier to forward luggage correctly.

I want any 'insurance' I can have when it comes to suitcases!

We found that when we bought the Magellan tags, one came off on our very first trip...so, now I print an itinerary with contact info such as cell phone no and where we're staying and place it immediately inside each suitcase and a coy in one of the outside pockets - figuring that's where baggage folks would look. We've already been contacted once from someone who inadvertantly picked up our suitcase and they called our hotel direct. We are definitely believers - however we never include our home address (would not want the world to know that we're away) and often use my husband's business card since he works for the local police dept :)

Archived