Sorry folks, it ain't over yet...........

Fury1995

"I'm no cheerleader and I'm not trying to offend but if you cruise because you waited all year to eat lobster on board or because you like to dress up or because it means everything when the waiter memorizes your name, you will continue to be dissapointed. So go ahead, cancel. Revolt. Complain. Write letters. Make phone calls. Threaten to take your money somewhere else.............. Be dissapointed." - quote from the OP's original post.

Um, I am afraid you did say we would be disappointed if we went elsewhere.

About the cursing...it's not cursing, it's just bad language. Sorry if it offends anyone.

I'm not trying to debate the intention of my own post with you however the "be dissapointed" reference is about cruising in general. In fact all of my points are about the differences in cruising today versus years ago. There was no challenge to move to another cruiseline or any suggestion to cruise to do so. The comparison is cruising versus another type of vacation.

Maybe a little harsh, but I do understand your point.

Obviously, we all love cruising. Why else are all of us on these boards? But, these are discussion boards. If someone wants to gripe about the little things, so what? If these boards were 100% information with no individual personalities, it would be pretty boring around here.

My problem on these boards is the people who flame others for having the nerve to voice their opinion.

Agreed, and I was a little harsh...apologies for that to the OP. As for flames, it's not often you see a flame in an opening post...responding with another flame doesn't make it right. My bad....

I don't believe my initial post was directed at any specific person. If anyone specifically feels that they were targeted by this thread, I apologize. I did not start this thread as a result of reading any one particular statement.

I stand by my post however. Cruising has evolved over the years. The good still overwhelmingly outweighs the bad. And the value has never changed IMO.

I don't believe my initial post was directed at any specific person. If anyone specifically feels that they were targeted by this thread, I apologize. I did not start this thread as a result of reading any one particular statement.

I stand by my post however. Cruising has evolved over the years. The good still overwhelmingly outweighs the bad. And the value has never changed IMO.

I don't think you need to apologize for your post. Its not your fault people comprehend things differently (didn't mean that rudely, don't flame). I understood how you wanted your post to be read and therefore agree with you.

I lucked out and didn't have to pay the fuel surcharge. Even if I did, I would still pay it. I still drive my car even though gas prices are sky high...

Cruising in general is a fabulous deal, and I will continue to vacation in this manner.

We are headed to an Adults Only 5 star resort in the Riviera Maya for Thanksgiving weekend and are paying about 500/night for a suite with over 400 sq ft, facing the ocean, private jacuzzi on the terrace, mini bar included, 8 restaurants with no surcharge, 10 lounges/bars, 4 swim up pools, full fitness center with yoga/pilates/aerobics included, water sports included, concierge services, open dining at all restaurants (including sushi bar). The prices at the onsite spa are more reasonable than the cruise ships spa and, based on past experience, come without the sales pitch.

IMO, that is a great value and could not be duplicated on a cruise if one is comparing apples to apples.

As far as the fuel surcharge, it is not a surprise at all and IMO the cruise lines are justified in this.

We are headed to an Adults Only 5 star resort in the Riviera Maya for Thanksgiving weekend and are paying about 500/night for a suite with over 400 sq ft, facing the ocean, private jacuzzi on the terrace, mini bar included, 8 restaurants with no surcharge, 10 lounges/bars, 4 swim up pools, full fitness center with yoga/pilates/aerobics included, water sports included, concierge services, open dining at all restaurants (including sushi bar). The prices at the onsite spa are more reasonable than the cruise ships spa and, based on past experience, come without the sales pitch.

IMO, that is a great value and could not be duplicated on a cruise if one is comparing apples to apples.

As far as the fuel surcharge, it is not a surprise at all and IMO the cruise lines are justified in this.

WOW! That is a deal. Is that all inclusive(alcohol)? How has the resort/beaches fared with the storms this past summer?

I guess i'm in the minority but i find crusing has decreased in service, food and "personality". When I started crusing in the late 70's and only 600 pax were the norm people were friendly and made friends easily on board. today the ships are so big and everybody is hurrying here and there and too many sailings are over riddled with small kids it's not the same experience. The value is definatly there today which makes it a great family vacation. I still like RCL but only sail on her when we're a group of friends, otherwise i prefer smaller ships with more interesting itinaries. Each ship has it's place and something to offer but I've outgrown RCL in many ways.

I have 3 cruises booked on RCL (with a group of friends) and one cruise booked on Azamara, one on crystal and one on Lindblad so I'll know where my niche is after i try these.

For the OP, good for you....RCI is a good fit for you, that's wonderful. RCI meets or exceeds your expectations, this too is wonderful.

Now where the hell do you get off telling us what we should and should not prefer? This is a cheerleading post if I ever saw one, to the point of telling those who have become disenchanted with the product offered by RCI they will be disappointed if they go elsewhere. Get off your high horse and quit being offensive!!

What's wrong with a "cheerleading post"? I find it refreshing! Better than a whining post.

I couldn't agree more with the original post. For the money and overall experience, I think cruising is still the best value out there. It allows me to totally 'unplug' for a few very restful days. No other vacation does that - even if I get lobster every day :)

Kenny, 99% of us completely understand what you were trying to get across and, personally, I agree completely! Maybe not everybody shares your opinion, but that's okay too. This is, after all, a free country and people can think what they want. Unfortunately there will always be a small percentage that will twist your words and tell you that you were trying to do something that you weren't. Some people are only happy when making others miserable. Sad...but a part of life. Just remember that these individuals are not worth arguing with and you will only drive yourself crazy trying to deal with them. Forget it!

You posted a very positive and appealing post and I heartily applaud what you said and what you meant. It would be wonderful if more posts could focus more on the positive and less on the insignificant issues that seem to generate more attention. Maybe it was cheerleading but, IMHO, I enjoy the cheerleaders at the games. What would halftime be without them?

Have a great day and a happy Thanksgiving!!

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments which were very well stated. We think cruises get better and better! If there was a cruise ship in Galveston at the moment, we'd be on the road to the cruise terminal instead of sitting home suffering with the allergy season. We are counting down the days until the Voyager arrives in Texas!!! WHOOO HOOO!

What's wrong with a "cheerleading post"? I find it refreshing! Better than a whining post.

We love to cruise on RCL! and we will as long as we can pay for it ......... that's the great thing about living in a free country: You can spend your money as you want to OR NOT. :)

I may not be in the majority but I choose to cruise for specific reasons ....one, it's still an amazing value. Where else can you find a vaction that moves your hotel from one amazing place to another, feeds you more than you can handle and entertains you everyday all day and night for an average of $100 a night? Anyone?

YES!!!!!!!! I don't even care what room I'm in as long as it has a window. LOL! They feed me, look after me, clean up after me. It's fabulous!

We're debating a three night cruise on the Monarch and the only thing stopping us from going is we don't want to fly over for it nor do we want to drive, we're hoping this group cruise from our hometown will have a bus or something to take us there. This is not a cruise we gotta take, as we've got another cruise in the works for 2008, this would just be a spontaneous hey, why not, we'd be with a group of people we'd enjoy sailing with.

Notice it's the getting there, not the cruise price or fuel increase or lack of lobster that's stopping us!

Even if I did, I would still pay it. I still drive my car even though gas prices are sky high...

Cruising in general is a fabulous deal, and I will continue to vacation in this manner.

Totally agree with you on this! We lucked out on our next cruise in January - already paid off; will pay off our little Majesty cruise in time to beat the surcharge. The other two...well, we'll suck it up!

The way I look at it is takes me over $70 a week to commute to work. Paying an extra $70 for fuel on a cruise is WELL worth not having to drive into D.C. everyday! Minor setback I can certainly live with.

I have been a member of CC for almost a year and have cruised fifteen times on five different lines. Never have we been disappointed. Okay, I am a cheapskate from the word go, but I'll pay the extra eighty bucks for my cruise in February without whining. Ill get over not having lobster without whining! I'll get over the dress code issues without whining! I'll get over the smoking issues without whining! As a matter of fact, here is a thought. Why not put all of those who like to whine on a theme cruise? Misery loves company. Meanwhile, the rest of us will have the time of our lives and be glad that we can still walk up the gangplank to get on board!

For the OP, good for you....RCI is a good fit for you, that's wonderful. RCI meets or exceeds your expectations, this too is wonderful.

Now where the hell do you get off telling us what we should and should not prefer? This is a cheerleading post if I ever saw one, to the point of telling those who have become disenchanted with the product offered by RCI they will be disappointed if they go elsewhere. Get off your high horse and quit being offensive!!

No Bob, the OP stated his point extremely well and is evaluating a cruise by scaling positives and negatives. If anything opinions on this board are flowing towards the negative because little crap becomes a big deal. Complaining, complaining, complaining....

If you have been a long time cruiser as you claim that you MUST have seen the change in cruisers not just a change in services rendered by cruise lines.

And if someone does a cheerleading post, so what! It is his right. If you have become so dischanted with the product RCI offers there are many cruise lines who'd be happy for your business.

Your post just drizzles of agony that someone actually had the guts to write something positive.

I agree with the OP even though I will miss the lobster. I am allergic to shrimp and would ask my waiter for 2 lobster tails. Never a problem. I know there are people who bragged my son/husband/so/whatever had 10 (pick a number) lobster tails on my early sitting dinner. Last time I was told we could have X (1 or 2 only) I was mad!!!

Where do these people come from? What do they eat at home? Somehow, I doubt they eat as well as they do on cruises. OK, I know some of us do, but not all or else there wouldn't be all the complaints being made.

OP, I too shall cruise, enjoy myself, pay the fuel surcharge, not dress up (geez I wish that were true for all nights, and do away with the formal nights---I know another discussion), not eat lobster and STILL cruise RCI. To me, there is no better bargain.

Enjoy your vacation--even if it's not a cruise.

Thank you to the original poster! I couldn't agree more. Even though I love lobster and hate paying for gas prices I certainly wouldn't cancel a cruise or move to another line. Until they start taking away the views at sea, the beautiful weather and the relaxing time I enjoy sitting on deck reading a book, then I will continue to be there! For me, the food isn't what I cruise for....:)

Archived