Sorry folks, it ain't over yet...........

Fury1995

I have been a member of CC for almost a year and have cruised fifteen times on five different lines. Never have we been disappointed. Okay, I am a cheapskate from the word go, but I'll pay the extra eighty bucks for my cruise in February without whining. Ill get over not having lobster without whining! I'll get over the dress code issues without whining! I'll get over the smoking issues without whining! As a matter of fact, here is a thought. Why not put all of those who like to whine on a theme cruise? Misery loves company. Meanwhile, the rest of us will have the time of our lives and be glad that we can still walk up the gangplank to get on board!

LOVE IT!!:D

I agree, fury1995, and that's what I've been commenting on to DH for years. Cruising, ESPECIALLY in Europe, is a hotel bargain!! However, I disagree about the price comparison to then and now.

Our first cruise in 1973 cost $500 for BOTH of us, including air. Six months later a two week cruise, including air, was $1,100 for two.

I've posted today on the fuel surcharge thread that it's a necessary evil to pay for the fuel, they did this in the 70's, too. It's still a deal!!

I have to agree with the folks who say that cruising in a great value for the money. Granted if you need to go during school holidays you will pay accordingly. However my partner and I are on the Majesty Jan 28 outside catagory I for $209 PP and then I found the $50 thank you letter for the cruise we took last July which brings the cost to $189 or $46 per person per day.I dont know of any other vacation where I would have to fly to...rent a car...stay in a hotel...and buy my food for $46 a day. We will continue to cruise... We will continue to look for the bargains, and we will enjoy ourselves throughly when out on the seas.

Could not agree more that cruising is a good value and that the current fuel surcharge probably doesn't change that for most folks, although I suppose most people have a limit at some point. Mainly though right now I am more envious of those who can find cruises, including airfare, for $46 a day. Maybe someday I will be so fortunate. icon10.gificon10.gif

of a few years ago. Today a clean seat is a perk...but fares are low, be happy.

It's not the fuel surcharge, or the disappearing lobster, or whatnot...it's what these things represent, a dilution of the product that will continue (and even accelerate) so long as customers simply accept it. So, when the dining rooms are converted to starchy buffets, and table service becomes a memory, be glad you're only paying $105 a night. When the room steward and free room service disappear, no complaints. Ice will still be down the hall. Surcharges for rock climbing, mini-golf, flowmaster, ice time, evening shows? WOW! Where did all these charges on our bill come from?

So, while I like Royal and enjoy cruising, I don't like what I'm seeing in my crystal ball. Cruising will very quickly take on the same level of "enjoyment" flying has if passengers (ir)rationalize its cheapening - the alternatives whatever the bean counters can get away with. Cruising, friends, is a commercial transaction, not a privilege. Maintain your standards and make the cruise lines compete for your patronage.

Thank you everyone for making my day more interesting. I love the heated exhanges today. I got tired of watching football and my favorite driver, Jeff Gordon didn't win the Nascar championship. Oh, let me get in my take of the situation. I like RCCL and don't mind another $5 because I have paid that much for a drink. I am surprised they haven't done this sooner. The price I pay for the great time I have always had and the way they treat you on the ship is worth it. It is always great though to hear everyone opinion on the boards. It is very entertaining and informative. Keep it up everyone!

Since I'm one of the "whiners" explain this scenario to me:

You go into your local grocery store and do your shopping. When you get to the register everything scans exactly as stated. The subtotal prompt shows what you owe but the cashier insists that because of the increase in fuel costs your bill will be $5 more. Do you really think you would just pay it without a fuss? Being a retail store manager I can definitely tell you that mutiny would be on the horizon!

I agree the fuel costs need to be covered but at least have given me two weeks notice to pay it in full. Add the costs into the base room price on open bookings, I don't care. I think that is just good customer service.

And I don't expect RCCL to price adjust my fare if the cost goes down. You book early, you agree on the price and have your pick of the best staterooms/locations. Wait until the last minute you may pay less but you get leftovers. That's ok - the contact was agreed upon.

As far as lobster goes - I don't think you get it. It's not the rubbery shellfish we'll miss it's the tradition it represents. Couldn't they have a surf & turf dinner available in Chops?

We really enjoyed our first RCCL cruise and expect to have a fantastic time again. I actually thought this line would be the perfect fit. If I questioned their decisions it was truly because I wondered what they were thinking. They could have achieved the end result without alienating anyone. Not because I'm negative or whining.

People can have different opinions without insulting whoever doesn't think like you do.

I worked in retail for 18 years and my husband worked in grocery store for 33 years. Of course, they raise their prices to adjust for these costs. They are just a little more sneaky about it. A few cents here and few cents there. It all adds up. I don't enjoy shopping like a use to, but I will always enjoy the cruising. Keep on cruising everyone!

You go into your local grocery store and do your shopping. When you get to the register everything scans exactly as stated. The subtotal prompt shows what you owe but the cashier insists that because of the increase in fuel costs your bill will be $5 more. Do you really think you would just pay it without a fuss? Being a retail store manager I can definitely tell you that mutiny would be on the horizon!

I agree the fuel costs need to be covered but at least have given me two weeks notice to pay it in full. Add the costs into the base room price on open bookings, I don't care. I think that is just good customer service.

And I don't expect RCCL to price adjust my fare if the cost goes down. You book early, you agree on the price and have your pick of the best staterooms/locations. Wait until the last minute you may pay less but you get leftovers. That's ok - the contact was agreed upon.

As far as lobster goes - I don't think you get it. It's not the rubbery shellfish we'll miss it's the tradition it represents. Couldn't they have a surf & turf dinner available in Chops?

We really enjoyed our first RCCL cruise and expect to have a fantastic time again. I actually thought this line would be the perfect fit. If I questioned their decisions it was truly because I wondered what they were thinking. They could have achieved the end result without alienating anyone. Not because I'm negative or whining.

People can have different opinions without insulting whoever doesn't think like you do.

I suppose this is directed at me. I generalized my statements. I didn't specifically speak to any one person, thread or post. I did express my different opinion (as I stated in my post) however I certainly didn't throw any insults either.

I am a cruising advocate not so much a Royal Caribbean cheerleader, but it is the cruiseline I prefer.

I don't think the grocery store analogy is a very good comparison. Maybe if the cashier stated the bill would be fifty cents more but I get the point. If these latest policy changes are enough to get some folks to call it quits, fine. I'll enjoy my cruises until a much much bigger issue (for me) gets in the way.

By the way.... There hasn't been a single policy change from Royal Caribbean or any cruiseline that hasn't made at least some folks feel alienated. I believe that would be impossible.

Actually I wasn't directing it at anyone. And I do consider being called a "whiner" an insult.

So what if the grocery store added 50 cents to your bill without any prior notification. Or the gas station charged you more per gallon because the price of a barrel just went up but they didn't reflect the increase on the pump signage? You'd just pay it without hesitation?

Come on - I'm not that naive!

That is not even a close comparison. Would you feel better if RCI just annouced they were going to increase prices by $100 per cabin to offset fuel charges, and if you are not paid in full they would increase the price . Look at it this way, if the surcharge has that big of an impact, maybe you will get price drop on your cruise, with all the pax cancelling. Laugh laugh!!

It is not like RCI is the only one doing it.

Why don't they jack the cost of the cruise 5 bucks and bring it back.Honestly I'm torn between so what and why not just increase the cruise cost to pay for the better grub

I think the answer to your question is fairly simple. If they just added it to the base cost of the cruise, they would have to pay commission to travel agents on that amount of money. To net the same $5 per day, they would have to charge $6 or more. This way they are just make it one more thing that gets added to the base that is non-commissionable for the travel agents.

I don't think there's anyone who is happy about the surcharge - including the cruise lines - but it is a fact of life. We pay more for everything. Paying more for the fuel is just something we have to do. It won't change my mind about taking as many cruises each year as time and the checkbook will allow.

Great post, Kenny. I said something similar in one of the OMG NO MOAR LOBSTER!!1! threads, but your message is much more eloquent and positive.

It's easy to get a skewed vision of the cruise lines or passenger satisfaction from these boards. A friend of mine, recently off the Monarch, said she dreaded going on the cruise after reading all the disgruntlement... figured there would be passengers rioting in the hallways over cutbacks. Said it was actually the nicest short cruise she's ever been on and that almost everyone seemed to enjoy themselves immensely.

I try to keep some perspective. If the worst part of my day is learning to cruise without lobster or having to pay a fuel surcharge, I'm probably having a better day than 90 percent of the rest of the people on this planet. I don't know... maybe it's just the season making me more thankful for having such first world problems.

Do I care if the lobster is shrinking...no

Do I care that RCL has tightened up their smoking policy...no and I am a smoker.

Do I care that they charge for Johnny rockets..no and actually was one of our highlights on the Majesty.

Do I care about the surcharge...I know how much more I am paying at the pump can't even imagine how much more it cost to fill up the ship...so No and I do understand why they are doing it.

Do I care to get into a conversation or debate about formal dress or not.

Could not be bothered with it one way or another. If I choose not to dress formal it is my business and I like to go to Chops or Portofino on formal nights.

What I do care about is having a great time when I am cruising. Never have been on a cruise that I did not have a fantastic time. Life is way to short to focus on the negatives when you are on vacation.

The OP has it right and glad he or she took the time to write the post

With all of the numerous policy changes taking place with Royal Caribbean and all of the numerous threads debating each change, it's gonna take ALOT more than fuel surcharges, limited lobster, strickter smoking rules, $3.95 to "choose" to eat a franchised cheeseburger and who is wearing what at dinner to get me to give up on Royal Caribbean.... or cruising for that matter.

Sorry folks but I just don't understand the overwhelming dissapointment lately.

I may not be in the majority but I choose to cruise for specific reasons ....one, it's still an amazing value. Where else can you find a vaction that moves your hotel from one amazing place to another, feeds you more than you can handle and entertains you everyday all day and night for an average of $100 a night? Anyone?

The ship. I choose Royal because of the ship. I just prefer the layout, design and the decor.... and over the years, the ships have become bigger and better.

Yes cruising used to feel more personal and intimate years ago but that was when ships were much smaller and ALOT less people were on board and ALOT less to do. Trust me, no one bragged to there freinds and family about the towel folding class, but that was basically all there was 25 years ago.

On my first cruise in 1980 If someone had told me one day I'd be able to play pool, ice skate, enjoy a water park, play putt putt, inline skate, bowl on a real bowling alley, bunjee jump on a trampoline, stroll down a footbal field sized promenade INSIDE the ship or rock climb several stories above the ocean or would never have believed it.

With all of that, how much has the cost of a week long cruise increased???? In my recollection, it hasn't.

I'm no cheerleader and I'm not trying to offend but if you cruise because you waited all year to eat lobster on board or because you like to dress up or because it means everything when the waiter memorizes your name, you will continue to be dissapointed. So go ahead, cancel. Revolt. Complain. Write letters. Make phone calls. Threaten to take your money somewhere else.............. Be dissapointed.

The rest of us will tell you what a great cruise we had when we get back.

Thanks to the likes of you that cruising has gone downhill and will continue to. RCI must love you! So who cares if the food stinks (which it does now- just because you do not pay for it everytime you eat does not make it good!). Who cares if everything gets cut- we are at sea, right? Who cares if the cabin creeks all night. Who cares if you breath second-hand smoke all over the ship except for dining room and theater.

Another point- I think you meant $100 per night/per person. That is $200 a night my friend, or more if you bring children. That is for a 150 square foot "room." Lets add flights, transfers, tips every other minute, drinks, excursions on your own or with the line, etc. How much does it cost now?

So who cares if they add a fuel surcharge, cut shrimp cocktails down, cut lobster, already cut steaks out (now charging for them), etc.

I think they should cut formal nights now because who wants to sit and eat lower end food in a tux or cocktail dress.

With all of the numerous policy changes taking place with Royal Caribbean and all of the numerous threads debating each change, it's gonna take ALOT more than fuel surcharges, limited lobster, strickter smoking rules, $3.95 to "choose" to eat a franchised cheeseburger and who is wearing what at dinner to get me to give up on Royal Caribbean.... or cruising for that matter.

Sorry folks but I just don't understand the overwhelming dissapointment lately.

I may not be in the majority but I choose to cruise for specific reasons ....one, it's still an amazing value. Where else can you find a vaction that moves your hotel from one amazing place to another, feeds you more than you can handle and entertains you everyday all day and night for an average of $100 a night? Anyone?

The ship. I choose Royal because of the ship. I just prefer the layout, design and the decor.... and over the years, the ships have become bigger and better.

Yes cruising used to feel more personal and intimate years ago but that was when ships were much smaller and ALOT less people were on board and ALOT less to do. Trust me, no one bragged to there freinds and family about the towel folding class, but that was basically all there was 25 years ago.

On my first cruise in 1980 If someone had told me one day I'd be able to play pool, ice skate, enjoy a water park, play putt putt, inline skate, bowl on a real bowling alley, bunjee jump on a trampoline, stroll down a footbal field sized promenade INSIDE the ship or rock climb several stories above the ocean or would never have believed it.

With all of that, how much has the cost of a week long cruise increased???? In my recollection, it hasn't.

I'm no cheerleader and I'm not trying to offend but if you cruise because you waited all year to eat lobster on board or because you like to dress up or because it means everything when the waiter memorizes your name, you will continue to be dissapointed. So go ahead, cancel. Revolt. Complain. Write letters. Make phone calls. Threaten to take your money somewhere else.............. Be dissapointed.

The rest of us will tell you what a great cruise we had when we get back.

I am another who stands with you on every word you wrote. It would take a lot more than these changes and new charges to get me to stop cruising with RCCL.

RCCL is my choice of cruise lines and I will stay with them.

Every Cruise line is going to have to change and charge more if they already haven't. Times are changing. So cancel on RCCL and go where? Costs and prices have to go up on every line, not just RCCL. They will just be hidden some place else. ;)

I have been a member of CC for almost a year and have cruised fifteen times on five different lines. Never have we been disappointed. Okay, I am a cheapskate from the word go, but I'll pay the extra eighty bucks for my cruise in February without whining. Ill get over not having lobster without whining! I'll get over the dress code issues without whining! I'll get over the smoking issues without whining! As a matter of fact, here is a thought. Why not put all of those who like to whine on a theme cruise? Misery loves company. Meanwhile, the rest of us will have the time of our lives and be glad that we can still walk up the gangplank to get on board!

Oh, you are my kind of person, just enjoy the cruise, what is not to enjoy.

The griping and trying to change the things you don't like gets so old. No one makes you get on the ship, stay home if things are so intolerable. Trying to stop other people from doing things you don't like is like saying you are perfect and heaven forbid someone enjoy something you don't like.

Thanks to the likes of you that cruising has gone downhill and will continue to. RCI must love you! So who cares if the food stinks (which it does now- just because you do not pay for it everytime you eat does not make it good!). Who cares if everything gets cut- we are at sea, right? Who cares if the cabin creeks all night. Who cares if you breath second-hand smoke all over the ship except for dining room and theater.

Another point- I think you meant $100 per night/per person. That is $200 a night my friend, or more if you bring children. That is for a 150 square foot "room." Lets add flights, transfers, tips every other minute, drinks, excursions on your own or with the line, etc. How much does it cost now?

So who cares if they add a fuel surcharge, cut shrimp cocktails down, cut lobster, already cut steaks out (now charging for them), etc.

I think they should cut formal nights now because who wants to sit and eat lower end food in a tux or cocktail dress.

Does this mean you are not going to cruise anymore since you are so disgruntled?? If I felt like you, I sure wouldn't want to waste my money. Sounds like you may need to stay home. I wouldn't want to listen to you at my table.

That is not even a close comparison. Would you feel better if RCI just annouced they were going to increase prices by $100 per cabin to offset fuel charges, and if you are not paid in full they would increase the price.

I would have no problem with them increasing the price for the cabin. I have no problem with the fuel surcharge. I do have a problem with them unilaterally changing the terms of the contract. And increasing the price after the deposit was paid is a violation of the agreement that we have with RCI.

I hardly think Royal Caribbean loves me just because of my statements(or I'd be cruising free by now). And I'm certainly not accepting responsibility for your "downhill" cruises but I have to ask, if it's so horrible (based on your posts description) why are you even going on another cruise?

The intention of this thread was to provoke this one thought: If you expect to be dissappointed even before you get on the ship, you will be.

In the words of one of the most successful men in the 20th century, "If you think you can, or if you think you can't, your right". - Henry Ford

There are airfare charges, tips, transfers and excursions associated with any vacation - sea or land based. Food taste is subjective, what one person likes, another doesn't. Ships flex, things creek. Weren't people smoking on your first cruise? There's a charge in the dining room for steaks? A 150 sqare foot cabin was just fine until now?:confused:

Archived