Sorry folks, it ain't over yet...........

Fury1995

rd

There are airfare charges, tips, transfers and excursions associated with any vacation - sea or land based. Food taste is subjective:confused:, what one person likes, another doesn't.

I agree with the airfare part and that food is subjective, but many AI's include the tips, transfers, excursions so they are not extra at all.

I'm no cheerleader and I'm not trying to offend but if you cruise because you waited all year to eat lobster on board or because you like to dress up or because it means everything when the waiter memorizes your name, you will continue to be dissapointed. So go ahead, cancel. Revolt. Complain. Write letters. Make phone calls. Threaten to take your money somewhere else.............. Be dissapointed.

The rest of us will tell you what a great cruise we had when we get back.

AMEN!!!! I must admit I'm new to the cruising world (we all had to take our first cruise sometime) but I've never had a vacation that was more fun. Now that my kids will be joining me I can't imagine anything better - anything I have to worry LESS about - or anything else that I'd want to do with my well earned vacation time.

The griping and trying to change the things you don't like gets so old.

Thank God for people in this country who gripe and try to change things. If it wasn't for people like them We'd still send taxes to England,African Americans would still be in chains, Women would not be able to vote and so on and so on. The one great thing about our country is we have the right to descent and try to make change. And I would think you wouldn't care if people tried to do so in this case especially if you are one that is getting hit with a surcharge on an already booked cruise.

One problem is so often when things on done in this country people take the attitude well I can't change it so just live with it. Well that isn't always true and you never know until you try. :D

Maybe the whining should be kept to that other thread. :rolleyes: The same people are saying the same thing on both threads.

In the spirit of the Op's original statement, I still find cruising to be faaaaar cheaper than any resort, and better for that matter.

It's my choice to spend my money how I want to. Fuel charge, smuel charge. So what. Get over it. :rolleyes:

I absolutely juist love CRUISING! I just do not think 5.00 dollars per person per day is too much! RCCL said that they will keep reviewing the gas situation and they hope that this is only a temporary situation until gas becomes more resonable once again! It is better than raising cruise prices so the people who once could afford crusing would no longer be able to do so! I think this keeps everybody happy and RCCL still can afford to pay for the high gas prices but yet not raise cruise prices! One more cruise and Hubby and I will both be Diamond!!! Yipee!!! We just came back from the Explorer and ready to set sail on the Monarch next May of 2008 one last time before she leaves San Pedro! Happy Sailings and Bon Voyage!!! Melissa

It is better than raising cruise prices so the people who once could afford crusing would no longer be able to do so! I think this keeps everybody happy and RCCL still can afford to pay for the high gas prices but yet not raise cruise prices! Melissa

You have go to be kidding, right?? Whether you raise the price of the cruise or tack on a surcharge the bottom line is higher than it was. How, exactly, does this keep someone who once could afford to cruise from no longer being able to do so? And....

Cruise rates are constanly being adjusted day by day. The cruise I have booked now costs double what it did when I booked it and a fuel surcharge has been added on top of that increase. So how can you say this is better than raising cruise prices. If supply and demand allows for it they WILL raise cruise prices. They ARE raising cruise prices.

I like cruising and RCI as much as anyone here. I just don't let it blind me to what is going on.

Thank God for people in this country who gripe and try to change things. If it wasn't for people like them We'd still send taxes to England,African Americans would still be in chains, Women would not be able to vote and so on and so on. The one great thing about our country is we have the right to descent and try to make change. And I would think you wouldn't care if people tried to do so in this case especially if you are one that is getting hit with a surcharge on an already booked cruise.

One problem is so often when things on done in this country people take the attitude well I can't change it so just live with it. Well that isn't always true and you never know until you try. :D

VERY WISE WORDS, I AGREE WITH YOU 110%!!!!

It is the "ant" syndrome that SO many people have ....

buisnesses are not stupid, "If we charge it, they will PAY it!"

and like little worker ants, we just follow in line and PAY, PAY and PAY!!!

Where will YOU draw the line??:rolleyes:

With all of the numerous policy changes taking place with Royal Caribbean and all of the numerous threads debating each change, it's gonna take ALOT more than fuel surcharges, limited lobster, strickter smoking rules, $3.95 to "choose" to eat a franchised cheeseburger and who is wearing what at dinner to get me to give up on Royal Caribbean.... or cruising for that matter.

Sorry folks but I just don't understand the overwhelming dissapointment lately.

I may not be in the majority but I choose to cruise for specific reasons ....one, it's still an amazing value. Where else can you find a vaction that moves your hotel from one amazing place to another, feeds you more than you can handle and entertains you everyday all day and night for an average of $100 a night? Anyone?

The ship. I choose Royal because of the ship. I just prefer the layout, design and the decor.... and over the years, the ships have become bigger and better.

Yes cruising used to feel more personal and intimate years ago but that was when ships were much smaller and ALOT less people were on board and ALOT less to do. Trust me, no one bragged to there freinds and family about the towel folding class, but that was basically all there was 25 years ago.

On my first cruise in 1980 If someone had told me one day I'd be able to play pool, ice skate, enjoy a water park, play putt putt, inline skate, bowl on a real bowling alley, bunjee jump on a trampoline, stroll down a footbal field sized promenade INSIDE the ship or rock climb several stories above the ocean or would never have believed it.

With all of that, how much has the cost of a week long cruise increased???? In my recollection, it hasn't.

I'm no cheerleader and I'm not trying to offend but if you cruise because you waited all year to eat lobster on board or because you like to dress up or because it means everything when the waiter memorizes your name, you will continue to be dissapointed. So go ahead, cancel. Revolt. Complain. Write letters. Make phone calls. Threaten to take your money somewhere else.............. Be dissapointed.

AMEN FURY1995....

Kenny,

Let the this board be a place where helpful information can be exchanged.

Hayy cruising!

I'm confused - if it's positve it's helpful but if it doesn't say "Rah Rah Royal" it's not? I can see both sides of the issue and certainly wouldn't cancel my cruise. I'll still have a great time. That doesn't mean I'm not dissapointed about both the lobster and the fuel surcharge. I just don't understand why people feel compelled to lash out at anyone who doesn't share their opinion.

Times change.

Things change.

Why do people have a hard time accepting this?

Bravo to the OP, perfectly stated. I'm a solo cruiser many times and if you look hard enough you can still find cruises under $100 a day-SINGLE!

case in point, leaving in 14 days for a 7 day cruise, single, outside-$618!:D

You people are the reason that the cruise lines will get away with just about anything they want to. Just roll over and say what a great bargain it is, while all the corporate exec's step back and laugh while they fill their pockets with your extra $'s!! They are looking for ways to cut back, and still take all of your money. Next thing you know, they'll start cutting services, port times, so thay can build more, bigger ships to fill with all of their cronnies. Eventually, this will all catch up to them, and then when they have to start doubling prices, because they can't afford the fuel to operate their 200,000 ton malls at sea, maybe that will change things? We just got back from a 7 day, beautiful 5 star all inclusive resort in the Rivera Maya, and we spent $1400 w/insurance, meals, airfare, and all liquor was included. Time to take a cruise break after 13 cruises until they can get their act together.:(

I think anyone seeking to blame their fellow cruisers for cutbacks or price increases is living with a healthy case of denial.

The fact is that the U.S. dollar's value is sinking and fuel prices are rising. We're all going to start paying a lot more for a lot less in everything we buy. RCI and the other cruiselines are like the fabled canary in the coal mine -- this is where we're seeing the effects of the economy first.

I can understand the disappointment one might have in seeing this come from a vacation, something that is supposed to bring enjoyment and relaxation. But my goodness, some of the responses are as close to gnashing teeth and rending garments as one can get on the Internet. :eek:

With all of the numerous policy changes taking place with Royal Caribbean and all of the numerous threads debating each change, it's gonna take ALOT more than fuel surcharges, limited lobster, strickter smoking rules, $3.95 to "choose" to eat a franchised cheeseburger and who is wearing what at dinner to get me to give up on Royal Caribbean.... or cruising for that matter.

I may not be in the majority but I choose to cruise for specific reasons ....one, it's still an amazing value. Where else can you find a vaction that moves your hotel from one amazing place to another, feeds you more than you can handle and entertains you everyday all day and night for an average of $100 a night? Anyone?

The ship. I choose Royal because of the ship. I just prefer the layout, design and the decor.... and over the years, the ships have become bigger and better.

Yes cruising used to feel more personal and intimate years ago but that was when ships were much smaller and ALOT less people were on board and ALOT less to do. Trust me, no one bragged to there freinds and family about the towel folding class, but that was basically all there was 25 years ago.

On my first cruise in 1980 If someone had told me one day I'd be able to play pool, ice skate, enjoy a water park, play putt putt, inline skate, bowl on a real bowling alley, bunjee jump on a trampoline, stroll down a footbal field sized promenade INSIDE the ship or rock climb several stories above the ocean or would never have believed it.

With all of that, how much has the cost of a week long cruise increased???? In my recollection, it hasn't.

Thank you for your post. I am within the crowd who is dissapointed with the fuel charge. How can you not be disspointed with a price increase? When the price of milk went up by 25 cents per gallon, I was disspointed. Did I write a nasty letter to the company? Did I stop buying milk? No! So, I'm not going to boycott cruising either. In my opinion, the pros of cruising strongly outweigh the cons, so I am going to continue cruising. I appreciate your post, because it really does make me stop and think. It is the best vacation you could take for that amount of money.

Thanks to the likes of you that cruising has gone downhill and will continue to. RCI must love you! So who cares if the food stinks (which it does now- just because you do not pay for it everytime you eat does not make it good!). Who cares if everything gets cut- we are at sea, right? Who cares if the cabin creeks all night. Who cares if you breath second-hand smoke all over the ship except for dining room and theater.

Another point- I think you meant $100 per night/per person. That is $200 a night my friend, or more if you bring children. That is for a 150 square foot "room." Lets add flights, transfers, tips every other minute, drinks, excursions on your own or with the line, etc. How much does it cost now?

So who cares if they add a fuel surcharge, cut shrimp cocktails down, cut lobster, already cut steaks out (now charging for them), etc.

I think they should cut formal nights now because who wants to sit and eat lower end food in a tux or cocktail dress.

um, are you seriously blaming 'the likes of' the OP for this?? Like he is actually cooking the allegedly subpar food?

I've never had a creaky cabin and am interested in your experience with this?

Yeah, $100 per person per day. You know the price going in - choose to pay it or not. I would never bring children cruising, myself. Leave the kids at home, abstain from alcohol for the week, port your own luggage, walk around the port city instead of paying for excursions and definitely quit doing whatever is causing you to tip every other minute! There are ways to keep the tab right at $100 per day. Getting to port, well, we all have our hassles with that but it is beyond the scope of cruise fare. If you're looking for a cheap vacation, maybe cruising isn't it. But it is still affordable for many people.

I'm with the OP - these changes are not going to turn me off cruising and to me, are far too insignificant to complain about. To each his own.

This is my 30th cruise with RCCL. December will be my last. I'm upset, but not complaining with their policy. I smoke and cannot afford a balcony. So, I must go along with their policy even though I do not like it. Going to miss them, but, I've survived life threatening illnesses and will survive this. My motto, if you can fix it, then do it. My "FIX" is that I'll be trying other lines. Life is too precious to be upset over trivial things. Let's all enjoy cruising.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyalC viewpost.gif

Thanks to the likes of you that cruising has gone downhill and will continue to. RCI must love you! So who cares if the food stinks (which it does now- just because you do not pay for it everytime you eat does not make it good!). Who cares if everything gets cut- we are at sea, right? Who cares if the cabin creeks all night. Who cares if you breath second-hand smoke all over the ship except for dining room and theater.

Another point- I think you meant $100 per night/per person. That is $200 a night my friend, or more if you bring children. That is for a 150 square foot "room." Lets add flights, transfers, tips every other minute, drinks, excursions on your own or with the line, etc. How much does it cost now?

So who cares if they add a fuel surcharge, cut shrimp cocktails down, cut lobster, already cut steaks out (now charging for them), etc.

I think they should cut formal nights now because who wants to sit and eat lower end food in a tux or cocktail dress.

um, are you seriously blaming 'the likes of' the OP for this?? Like he is actually cooking the allegedly subpar food?

I've never had a creaky cabin and am interested in your experience with this?

Yeah, $100 per person per day. You know the price going in - choose to pay it or not. I would never bring children cruising, myself. Leave the kids at home, abstain from alcohol for the week, port your own luggage, walk around the port city instead of paying for excursions and definitely quit doing whatever is causing you to tip every other minute! There are ways to keep the tab right at $100 per day. Getting to port, well, we all have our hassles with that but it is beyond the scope of cruise fare. If you're looking for a cheap vacation, maybe cruising isn't it. But it is still affordable for many people.

I'm with the OP - these changes are not going to turn me off cruising and to me, are far too insignificant to complain about. To each his own.

I'm still trying to figure out when they started charging for steaks in the main dining room :confused: . What cruiseline has RoyalC been using??????

I'm still trying to figure out when they started charging for steaks in the main dining room :confused: . What cruiseline has RoyalC been using??????

No kidding. In fact, isn't there steak on the alternative menu you can choose from every night?

VERY WISE WORDS, I AGREE WITH YOU 110%!!!!

It is the "ant" syndrome that SO many people have ....

buisnesses are not stupid, "If we charge it, they will PAY it!"

and like little worker ants, we just follow in line and PAY, PAY and PAY!!!

Where will YOU draw the line?

?:rolleyes:

I draw the line at those things which are necessary to live... Cruising is a luxury item, having a Lexus is a luxury, having a Prada bag is a luxury, etc.... To complain about rising costs of luxury items is just ludicrous... There are many in this country who can't even afford to take a vacation, let alone complain about a measly $5pp/pd fuel surcharge, or lobster, or towels that aren't the right color or any number of petty things that we take for granted when we cruise...

Choose your battles... vacations are not a right... and if you have the means to take a vacation, be grateful that you have that opportunity 'cause many of the hardest working people in America don't have that luxury...

I agree with the OP 100%...

Look folks, I think some are still missing the point. I have been cruising since 1980. Tried 3 different cruiselines, first cruise was on RCCL's Sun Viking, so I would like to think of myself as an experienced cruiser. I would also consider myself far from naive. No koolaid in my gut.

I used to post quite a bit here but I've been lurking around the boards for about a year, hanging in the background. Lately there has been a considerable amount of threads that just didn't represent my previous experiences cruising which made me think even more about my own memories on past cruises.

That brought me to this thought...... The cruiseline, the ship, the food, the destination - those aren't the things that make your vacation. It's the experience of new things, the people your with, the time spent away from it all. That's what a vacation is. That's what makes it memorable.

Your relaxing on an ocean of water miles from anywhere, in another place, fresh air, different cultures and sometimes doing something you never thought you would ever do in your entire life. That's what a vacation is supposed to be. That's what makes it memorable.

Look at your own pictures, your own videos. Look at the people in those pictures. They are happy. They loved being there. That's what I did. I took out my pictures and videos. Remembered every little detail, and then booked another cruise.

Take a look at this link:

http://www.2legalaliens.com/page3.htm

See how you feel afterwards.

If people want to board, with "white gloves" just to complain about what is wrong on their cruise, that's their loss. It's not wrong to discuss here aspects of the cruise which may not have lived up to expectations, but to ruin a cruise with preconceived ideas which one refuses to abandon in order to enjoy one's self,..... well, that's inexcusable.

When you prepare to beef on your cruise and ruin it for yourself, your family, and mamy of the other passengers, remember how fortunate we are to be able to look forward to a cruise (maybe more than one) each year.

So many who cruise who may not have hollywood physiques, but there are others who can't cruise because they are truly physically unable. Then, of course, there are those who cannot afford a cruise. In addition, there are those who can't take the time to research, book, and prepare for a cruise let alone take the time to cruise.

Those who contribute to this forum and look forward to each cruise they make should feel very lucky -- hurricanes, fuel surcharges and all!:D

Archived