Help Me Pack!!

Ronrocks!

This thread isn't so much on what to pack but how to pack. Any pointers on how to pack the most into a piece of luggage. For example, some people say to roll your clothes to fit the most into a space and have them less wrinkled. I've even heard of people using vacume packed bags. We are a family of four. Me, husband, and two teenage daughters. I would love to not have to take a guarment bag but he will have a suit and myself and the girls dresses. So what are your thoughts? Tips? Ideas? Secrets? I would love to keep it under 4 bags. Thanks!!!:o

I have some of the space bags travel bags that you can roll the air out of. I use these for socks, underwear and swimsuits and other items that it doesn't matter if they get wrinkled . Others have stated they use regular freezer bags in the same way. This does take up less space. I take a few extras with me and use them for dirty clothes on the way home which makes a little extra room for souvenirs.

I also take a black pair of pants or skirt and a couple of different tops that can go with them for dinner outfits to save space and make sure that one pair of shoes can go with several different outfits.

If you pack your dress clothes each in their own dry cleaner bag they won't wrinkle as bad when packed so you can pack more.

Stuff your shoes with socks and underwear and such. That helps save space. Here are three things that I don't pack because the hotel and cruise ship supply them. Towels, soap and shampoo. The towels on the ship are fine and yes, you can take them off the ship for shore excursions. I am a middle ages man so I don't care what brand or scent soap and shampoo I use. I use whatever is provided. You, and especially your teenage daughters, may feel differently about this.

we couldn't get our space bags to work...so we returned them! :D

First, make sure you cross-pack, especially if you are flying to the port!....put at least 1 change of clothes for each person in each bag!

My mom is the packing pro! Alternate waistbands so you don't get lumps. Usually we pack by outfit. For instance...put in 2 pair of shorts....then on top of that, put the 2 tops that match!

Heavy stuff in the bottom (like jeans if you are bringing them..they don't get too wrinkled.) We've never done the dry cleaning bags...I iron everything (even shorts) first using that magic sizing stuff....works pretty well...also, that downy wrinkle release is decent.....works better on some things than others.

Contrary to popular belief, you do NOT need a pair of shoes for each outfit....i take 1 pair evening shoes, a pair of sandals in a neutral color (generally beige-ish-they are also flat!) that go with shorts or pants outfits/khakis for dinner, sneakers/little leather keds which i wear, and a pair of flip flops and/or water shoes.

Undies, socks and swimwear can be rolled, tucked and stuffed into shoes and corners....

Take stuff that you can mix and match.....for a week i usually take 7 shorts sets, 2 khaiks (or navy or black), a couple extra tops, 2 dresses and a couple knit pants outfits, 2 swimsuits and undies and PJs.....we usually stay a couple days before and after, so i do laundry in the hotel....

also....make a list of what you pack....and take it with you so that when you repack you don't leave anything behind......we generally lay out all we need, plus extra, then take out 1 or 2 things...we still wind up NOT using everything!

BTW...for the right price, i will come help you pack! BUT i am not cheap!!! :p

The above poster packs exactly as I do. The roll air out packing bags are the best (not the vacumn ones) especially for dirty laundry. I pack my cloths on hangers in drycleaning bags. When I arrive, just hang everything up (there are never enough hangers in staterooms) I use the hangers that you get from the cleaners and just leave them there. Fill up the suitcase corners with rolled items. But I do take a steamer with me, for those last minute wrinkles.

The above poster packs exactly as I do. The roll air out packing bags are the best (not the vacumn ones) especially for dirty laundry. I pack my cloths on hangers in drycleaning bags. When I arrive, just hang everything up (there are never enough hangers in staterooms) I use the hangers that you get from the cleaners and just leave them there. Fill up the suitcase corners with rolled items. But I do take a steamer with me, for those last minute wrinkles.

So...wanna come over and show me how to get them to work????:D Actually, one of the bags was not properly made so THAT could have been the problem!

If you pack your dress clothes each in their own dry cleaner bag they won't wrinkle as bad when packed so you can pack more.

This actually even works if you do every other piece in a bag. The point is, when clothes rub against each other, they tend to wrinkle; so even if one isn't in it's own bag, as long as the pieces on either side are, it still won't wrinkle. This keeps from havings to worry about saving too many dry clean bags.

This thread isn't so much on what to pack but how to pack. Any pointers on how to pack the most into a piece of luggage. For example, some people say to roll your clothes to fit the most into a space and have them less wrinkled. I've even heard of people using vacume packed bags. We are a family of four. Me, husband, and two teenage daughters. I would love to not have to take a guarment bag but he will have a suit and myself and the girls dresses. So what are your thoughts? Tips? Ideas? Secrets? I would love to keep it under 4 bags. Thanks!!!:o

When we've gone on cruises, I needed to take a garment bag. In September we went on a cruise to Alaska; we were there prior to our cruise, and as suits were not needed there, I rented a tux on board ship and saved when I normally would carry at least one suit (the rental price was $104 for the fully-equipped tux which came with 2 shirts, a pair of suspenders, and an extra shirt, as our cruise lasted 14 nights and we had three formal nights). I still had slacks and sport jackets which I had to take, so my garment bag was needed. However, the bag was capable of carrying other items as well (shirts, socks, jackets, even more casual pants which normally would go into a regular suitcase), and I made room under the slacks, etc. which I carried for gifts. In fact, on a cruise we took last month, I was even able to put a costume for Halloween and a set of long johns folded under the slacks. Since we were in climates where we carried layered outerwear (outer fleece-lined jackets and a down vest), these also went into the garment bag. In short, I found room for items I would normally have put into a suitcase.

I myself had a larger suitcase and a carry-on as well -- I needed to carry more underwear as there were no coin-operated machines and the laundry was quite expensive. In these, I rolled my underwear and put socks into my shoes and sneakers. By arranging my clothes according to type (pants with pants, shirts with shirts, etc.) I gained room. Finally, I put everything in plastic bags (I had bought boxes of clear trash bags from the food store - the bags never saw trash and were quite clean). The benefit of this was really felt when we returned, I put any dirty garments I had into plastic bags, keeping them away from whatever was clean, and making it easier to bring them to my laundry room and to the laundromat when we returned home. I could even use the bags to line shelves where we put clothing, and one to put dirty clothing during the cruise.

On trips where I didn't need a garment bag, I packed the same way.

I always bring a carry-on onboard with me with a 2-day change and all I need for the bathroom (as well as an extra pear of glasses and the charger for my cell phone in case my luggage doesn't reach me immediately). Many documents can be put there as well, although I carry my passport on my body untril I reach the cabin, where they provide a safe.:)

Our cruise to Alaska was long, so we had five bags between us, including my carry-on. After this cruise, we cruised to Canada and New England; as the cruise was shorter, we had 4 bags between us, including my carry-on. The number could probably have been less, but I tend to take more than I need, and as the weather was quite iffy and temperatures could change rapidly. In fact, after Alaska, we cruised South and stopped at Seattle Washington, Astoria Oregon, and San Francisco before our cruise ended at San Pedro (LA) in California. When reaching Washington, and when our cruise began in Vancouver British Columbia, the weather was warm and I appreciated a few short sleeve shirts I had packed.

I don't know your philosophy as to how many clothes you'd like to take, just to say that I know you'll enjoy your cruise.

Just remember when you are trying to limit the NUMBER of bags that each bag cannot weigh more then 50 lbs, or you will be charged a fee by the airline.

Oh that's ok we are driving to the port. However, if the girls bags weigh too much I will add .40 cents per mile for fuel.;)

I'm a fairly good packer, love to pack (weird) and I love luggage so much I am now working part time in a luggage store as a second job.

I'd only forego the garment bag if you are already packing one case per person. As light as we pack, I've never been able to do less for a week long cruise for a family of 4. Cross pack one outfit for each family member into each suitcase, in case any one piece goes missing. Take the garment bag if you are only packing 3 suitcases.

All that said, teenage daughters want to take their entire closet along, you have to be firm about what stays behind. It's not easy, I have a teenage daughter. I give her a list and make her stick to it.

I disagree on using whatever brand of shampoo you happen to get in a hotel or cruise ship. Women care what their hair looks like and many have color treatments that can be ruined by harsh mystery products. Just take along travel sizes, each person can take a 3 oz bottle if you are flying.

I've never had great luck with the vacuum bags. They are expensive to buy and only work 2-3 times, use the large Ziploc baggies instead. I only use baggies for things I don't mind wrinkled, like undies, bathing suits and PJ's. The baggies are great for the return trip home, for anything still damp or stinky underwear.

Over the years I've accumulated packing folders and they work great. They compress your clothes without the wrinkling, keeping them organized and free from the prying hands of TSA workers. Packing cubes, the same idea, only for smaller items. I use 1-2 per suitcase, they only weigh a few ounces each and are well worth the investment. Some people don't like them, but I think those of us who like organization are hooked. They can last forever if taken care of, but buy only 1-2 at first to see if they interest you.

My method of packing is to do it downstairs, out of the bedroom, away from the closet. I use a garment rack, everything that is going goes onto or under the rack. I use drawstring bags (baggies will work) for jewelry, everything is pressed, mended and there before I open the first suitcase. This way I know at a glance what may be missing and I can see if there is anything I can cut back on. I pack right from the rack, costume jewelry stays right on the hanger and goes into the garment bag or suitcase. This is the best way I've found to not forget something and to avoid adding last minute items that really aren't needed.

I've never been successful at rolling garments, but I do like bundle packing into my packing folders. Each item is layed out first in different directions, you them fold it as one item, the theory being there is a softer fold with multiple garments together. I will place a dry cleaning bag on the top of the pile before folding, so the top item has a cushion to it.

I pretty much repack for the trip home the same way I packed to head out. I've never understood why people don't know their luggage can't accomodate bags of wadded up dirty clothes vs. neatly folded.

This thread isn't so much on what to pack but how to pack. Any pointers on how to pack the most into a piece of luggage. ... husband, and two teenage daughters. ...Tips? Ideas? Secrets?

Good tips already. The one I HIGHLY recommend is to keep your husband out of the packing process! :D He can thank me later....:D

DW does the packing here...I just hand her stuff and somehow she manages to squeeze it all in under 4 bags (7 nighters).

Happy Packing & Cruising!

Once you think through your packing list, KEEP IT. I have a file of packing lists for various types and lengths of vacations. Keeps me from having to reinvent the wheel.

When I get home, I cross off what I did not use and add anything that I wished I had taken.

Wow, I don't know what tricks I have to pass on, but I get 3 kids and 2 adults into 2 checked suitcases and a carry-on each, our last trip was 4days in Orlando, a 7day cruise and then 2 more days in Orlando so a total of 13 days. We had 2 formal nights on the cruise and I never did laundry at any point during the "vacation"!!!

I never thought I had any tricks, but from some of these posts, I must?? I will have to mentally walk through the process and see what I do. One thing I do everytime is make a blank calendar of the days we'll be gone, I then write at the top of the date what we except to be doing.....that day may be a sea day, or a port day with a water excursion planned.....then I write what clothes I will need for that day.....swimsuit, shorts & shirt, underclothes, and dinner clothes......then I move on to the next day??? Is this really a hint, I don't think so, it's just how I do it???? I also do packing in tne laundry room (oversized so I can lay out all the suitcases) I pack as the season change here in MN, I pack periodically throughout a month long period of time and then double back over it as the time gets closer! You guys have really racked my brain here, I am stumped as to what I do and how to explain what I do???

I say be practile, go slowly and calmly and stick to your plan (the one you find works for your family) and have an awesome trip!!!

Oh that's ok we are driving to the port. However, if the girls bags weigh too much I will add .40 cents per mile for fuel.;)

One day, you may take a cruise where you will have to fly to theportof embarkation. The minimum linear dimensions for carry-ons (length x width x height) is 45 inches, and that of each piece of baggage checked is 62 inches.

Inow possess padlocks which are TSA - approved and which I can use on luggage when flying. When we cruised last month, I used regular padlocks as we were not flying.:)

OMG!!!! :eek:

You pack yourself in the garment bag???!!!!

:D

PS: I never roll stuff. Always as flat as possible. You can press it down even further.

Well, DH and I do a 7 nighter with (1) 29in suitcase, a 21in suitcase and (1) carryon... three total bags...

One thing I do is wash everything, iron it and fold well... it allows your clothes to get as flat as possible... even DHs button down cruise shirts travel this way... For undies, a few socks, pjs, and swimsuits - I use those larger sized Ziplocs... put the stuff in, squeeze out the air and it's amazing how little space that stuff now takes up...

We each have separate toiletry bags which we put one in each of the 2 checked bags...I have small emergency type toiletry kit that fits into my carry on and has just bare bones essentials just in case...

So all of our clothes in the large (minus a few things which go in the carryon for the just in case)... our shoes fit in the smaller bag that we check... For shoes, I take a dressy pair, flip flops, and I have these neat sandals that are not only comfortable for walking but also look cute with capris and shorts... I practically live in them... and then whatever shoes I am traveling in... DH takes sandals, dress shoes, a pair of casual loafers ...

It helps to take mix match clothes... more tops than bottoms which you can switch around...

For DHs suit.... the dry cleaning bag thing works... we take about 6 pieces of clothing each in separate bags on their wire hangers... lay the pile out flat and press the air out... fold in half and lay on top of everything else in the large suitcase... the stuff always arrives wrinkle free, we avoid the garment bag... and if it ever did show up wrinkled I would just send it down to be pressed... the price is reasonable...

We also pack a flattened tote bag in the 21 incher to use for bringing home souvenirs... on the way home, this becomes a carry on...

We fly into port and this has always worked for us, even through the airport...

What are these dry cleaning bags everyone keeps talking about? Are they designed to pack suits in to keep them from wrinkling?? I was going to get on the ship and send all our formal stuff off to the cleaners to get pressed but that may be expensive. Not to mention I'm not sure how long it would take.

What are these dry cleaning bags everyone keeps talking about? Are they designed to pack suits in to keep them from wrinkling?? I was going to get on the ship and send all our formal stuff off to the cleaners to get pressed but that may be expensive. Not to mention I'm not sure how long it would take.

Dry cleaning bags... the actual bags your clothes are in when you pick them up at the cleaners... About a week before we cruise, I send stuff to the cleaners and when I pick it up, I just leave it that way to pack...

If you use the ships services, you will get it back in plenty of time...

Dry clean bags are the thin plastic things that the dry cleaners place over your clean clothes. We only use these for our more dress clothes.

You have 4 people - allow at least one suitcase and one 'carryon' per person. The carryon can hold a lot of personal items - makeup, shampoo etc. One garment bag should hold 3 formals and DH's suit. Leave the ball gowns at home. Keep the formals light weight and simple. The second formal night on a 7 nighter is usually a lot less formal - so cocktail type stuff or a sparkle top with a skirt or pants works very well.

The pressing and cleaning prices for formal wear are very inexpensive. Its the regular clothes that add up. Bring enough undies or plan on hand laundry in the sink. Also have enough or plan to buy tshirts and other casual clothes. The prices for these items can add up if you need these cleaned on board.

Archived