Big Changes Coming to RCCL's Loyalty Program

Wow, my grandma just made Diamond in 2006, just in time, now she has 11 cruises under her belt since the Freedom in October.

Now me, I have 6 cruises, so I better hurry up and get 4 more cruises so I can make diamond before they change it, but that's probably not going to happen.

Thanks for the news.

My daughter will make the whole family platinum in March, hopefully that will still happen or like many of you I will branch out more. I was sticking with RCCL to get to the next level on one line, as I have some cruises on several lines but never achieved the higher level status on any one of them.

I am going on a 12+night in Sept so 2 credits and that would make 7 for us and we were planning a B2B of 12+nights in each segment for 2009 which would have made us Diamond. The Princess cruise that I saw might now look more appealing if it won't gain us anything on RCCL.

It is a shame that the things they have been doing seem to affect the most loyal of their customers lately. :(

We just made platinum in December :) and aren't due to make Diamond until Jan 09 with the Navigator B2B. Guess we won't make diamond status for a looooooong time now, :( so I'm really hoping that this turns out to be a rumor.

We were told on our recent Navigator cruise by a high level source that the loyalty program would soon be changing. The new level to attain Diamond status will be 25. We were also told the level would be raised to 50 to reach Diamond Plus. These changes have already been decided and it's just a matter of time before they are officially announced. Probably weeks rather than months. It's not surprising considering the Concierge Lounges are becoming unusable due to overcrowding.

When is this supposed to be happening? I have no problems with it even though I am 'oh so close' to Diamond.

Tony, regardless of what RCI does they are not going to be able to make everyone happy. I was getting close to D+ but if they change it then so be it. Not a big deal to me. I cruise RCI for more reasons than just the past guest program. :)

I agree. I am realllly close to Diamond...but if it happens it happens....I don't cruise RCI because of the loyalty program only.

Once again though, this might be a way of separating the cruisers. :D

Why are folks so desperate to make Diamond? It's a nice level, but the bennies aren't all that. I think the best one is the balcony discount. I'm just curious...

At the end of the day, I know I cruise for the experience. The benefits play a minor role. But that's me and I respect the fact that other people feel differently.

I just want to get to Platinum (March) so I get the balcony discount. Diamond would be nice but not sure if we would be grandfathered in.

Here's how I see it and no matter what-some folks are not going to be happy.

One perk everyone seems to love is the use of the CL. Doing the math-with all the suites that those guests are already paying for that can fill it up.

All the D/D+ also have the use of it unless they designate another lounge. What has confused me from day one and never really read one answer the same. How does this work? I think it's impossible to allow all in the one CL lounge. So, if I have been reading correctly-suite guests have the use for sure-all others, if there are not many D/D+-yes? So-it seems to change sailing to sailing.

To me, it seems the D/D+ will be upset if they can not use the lounge but simple math puts it impossible on certain sailings. Sailing 10 times is not that hard. so, something will change for sure I'll bet!

And-yes-they will need to use the 'Grandfather clause' to keep all current members happy if they up the number of sailing. No way, would any company want to upset the already loyal cutomers!

At the end of the day, I know I cruise for the experience. The benefits play a minor role. But that's me and I respect the fact that other people feel differently.

I 100% agree with your take on this. The perks are nice but the experience is better.

All of your major cruise lines are revamping there past passenger loyalty programs. It's a matter of economics. Change is on the way to the C & A loyalty levels however I would take any statements from staff (regardless of Rank) with a grain of salt. Been sailing with RCCL for almost 20 years and been to many Loyalty & Officer gatherings and while the info may be true to a point, it's often distorted.

Everyone should just take a wait and see attitude :)

Oh c*%p!!! I'm one cruise away from Diamond, and that one will be in May. I hope they don't implement this before then, but it sounds like they will. I was soooo close!

Darn we are one cruise away and were thinking of getting one in Feb while in Fla. This may push us to do it.:eek:

With this constant string of changes by RCCL, whereby they continue to reduce/remove benefits and amenities, I think it is time to reconsider my stock ownership in this company. I have watched the stock decline rather severely over the last few weeks, and it is now at $33.19 this morning. I guess it is time to look at their financials a little more closely.

I wonder if the condition of the financial markets is causing a credit crunch for them?

Hypo

OMG - My MIL is gonna freak. She's sitting at 9 and has been dying to get her own Diamond/Concierge Club Card. I like the discount we get at booking and the use of the CC or Diamond Club. One of the favorite parts of our Freedom cruise last week was meeting up at the Diamond Club at 5:30 for drinks & finger food before heading to 2nd seating. I'm grateful it's to be grandfathered for us but it's going tick off some people that have looking forward to hitting that status. Especially my MIL, since her 9-credits have been earned on nine 7-day+ cruises.

We were told on our recent Navigator cruise by a high level source that the loyalty program would soon be changing. The new level to attain Diamond status will be 25. We were also told the level would be raised to 50 to reach Diamond Plus. These changes have already been decided and it's just a matter of time before they are officially announced. Probably weeks rather than months. It's not surprising considering the Concierge Lounges are becoming unusable due to overcrowding.
Crown & Anchor just laughed when I called them regarding this information from "a high level source"..... Why not reveal the source so we can all know.

When is this supposed to be happening? I have no problems with it even though I am 'oh so close' to Diamond.

Just for the record: This was told to me by someone who would be in the know. I certainly wouldn't start a thread about this if I was told by a waiter or someone on that level (no offense to waiters). It was told to me as a fact, a done deal. I asked when and was told he did not know. But he did say those close to Diamond would have the opportunity to reach the next level within a certain amount of time. Since the solution has already been decided I would assume the announcement of the changes would be VERY soon.

Crown & Anchor just laughed when I called them regarding this information from "a high level source"..... Why not reveal the source so we can all know.

Take it from me, C&A would be the last people you can go to for any reliable information. :D

Will you branch out to try other cruise lines in general or is it because your upset about the policy change. I would like to think that RCI is a good cruise line and I enjoy sailing them even if I dont make D+. Actually I dont think it will hurt them, I think people will sail in spite of any policy changes becuase they are a good cruise line ( imo ) Sorry you will not make Diamond, but hey , the policy hasnt even changed yet.... ya never know. :rolleyes:

It would actually be a combination of things dependent on how we feel the level of service and quality is after our Med cruise in the fall. I've experienced the inconsistancies from year to year, on the same ship, up, down then back up again. If it's back on the decline again (as I've noticed on many recent reviews), I will branch out to different lines anyway. I do agree that the loyalty program needs some tweeking possibly giving more consideration to the number of days cruising as opposed to the number of completed cruises. I've always thought it was wrong to have a three day cruise count the same as an 11 day cruise. I'll just wait and see, since we just made Platinum last year, Diamond is still away's off, but we would have gotten double credit for the 12 day Med cruise. Since we only are able to take one "big" vacation a year we've really enjoyed the longer 11 day cruises even though they didn't help with the loyalty points.

Who knows what the future holds????

Aubie

I didn't ask about changes to the Platinum level but I would guess that would be raised also. I was told if someone has 8 or 9 credits you would have the opportunity to reach Diamond in an unspecified amount of time. This is not something that was decided on with little thought. Royal is trying to keep the amount of angry customers to a minimum. :)

Well lets just pray that I can have until the end of the year. Since my 11 day cruise in Feb and then the one in Oct. already booked will make me diamond I have been working on this very hard. Has all been done since end of Oct 2005 and I used all my vacation time for cruises! More yet since these cruises are already scheduled that would make me become the status of diamond before the change would be made.

Guess time will only tell me. My fingers are crossed

All of your major cruise lines are revamping there past passenger loyalty programs. It's a matter of economics. Change is on the way to the C & A loyalty levels however I would take any statements from staff (regardless of Rank) with a grain of salt. Been sailing with RCCL for almost 20 years and been to many Loyalty & Officer gatherings and while the info may be true to a point, it's often distorted.

Everyone should just take a wait and see attitude :)

I agree. I just started this thread because it was information provided to me by someone I trust and who would know better than anyone on the ship. It was not told to me at a Crown and Anchor meeting. It was a private conversation. I'm not one to mentioned sources when I'm given information.

With this constant string of changes by RCCL, whereby they continue to reduce/remove benefits and amenities, I think it is time to reconsider my stock ownership in this company. I have watched the stock decline rather severely over the last few weeks, and it is now at $33.19 this morning. I guess it is time to look at their financials a little more closely.

I wonder if the condition of the financial markets is causing a credit crunch for them?

Hypo

You Should of Bought CCL & RCCL Back in the Fall of 2001. :)

At least the Stockholder Benefit ( I call it a Dividend) is Tax Free.

We turned Diamond before our last cruise. So now we have 11 credits that means we only need 39 more cruises to turn Diamond Plus. So if I take 2 cruises a year I'll be Diamond plus in about 20 years. I'll also be 71 and won't care.

I have no problem with the Diamond benefits and see no major increase in the benefits between Diamond and Diamond Plus.

But I also now see no reason not to try other cruise lines which quite often have lower prices than you get with the Diamond discounts for the same itineraries.

Here's how I see it and no matter what-some folks are not going to be happy.

One perk everyone seems to love is the use of the CL. Doing the math-with all the suites that those guests are already paying for that can fill it up.

All the D/D+ also have the use of it unless they designate another lounge. What has confused me from day one and never really read one answer the same. How does this work? I think it's impossible to allow all in the one CL lounge. So, if I have been reading correctly-suite guests have the use for sure-all others, if there are not many D/D+-yes? So-it seems to change sailing to sailing.

To me, it seems the D/D+ will be upset if they can not use the lounge but simple math puts it impossible on certain sailings. Sailing 10 times is not that hard. so, something will change for sure I'll bet!

And-yes-they will need to use the 'Grandfather clause' to keep all current members happy if they up the number of sailing. No way, would any company want to upset the already loyal cutomers!

The CL lounge is the least I am looking forward to. It was never a benefit to me to reach Diamond status for the CL lounge. But I do reckognize that a lot of Diamond members like it and value that benefit. What I find a horrendous policy is that every GS and above 3rd passenger, 4th passenger and so on has also CL access.

I do know of people, able adults, who stuff 4 or 5 people in a GS of which 2 or 3 pay the equal amount of an inside cabin yet they have the benefits of a CL and double points.

To make my point:

4 people in a GS on March 1 on the Navigator would pay $3596. That averages out to $899. The JS cost $1,159 on the same sailing and currently the cheapest balcony is $849.

The 3rd and 4th pay only $399 which is currently less than an inside ($549).

RCI really need to revamp their benefit program. Right now it is being abused.

Like I said, I personally do not care about the CL. I even have a 'no upgrade' in my file. But in general the benefit program is definitely to low and needs to be revamped. :)

Even if RCI revamps right before I enter diamond status I would understand it and take it in stride. My hopes would be that all the benefit only seeking people would go to other cruise lines and RCI would return to somewhat normalcy. :D;)

I cruise RCI for the cruise line and their ships, not for benefits or status. I take benefits when they come along.

Living in FL with several cruise ports in range and FL discount I could easily pick up 10 3-night cruises in inside cabins for $200 each and be diamond.

I agree. I just started this thread because it was information provided to me by someone I trust and who would know better than anyone on the ship. It was not told to me at a Crown and Anchor meeting. It was a private conversation. I'm not one to mentioned sources when I'm given information.

We had some corporate people on board our EOS voyage in August 07

and there was a discussion about this topic.

Just for the record: This was told to me by someone who would be in the know. I certainly wouldn't start a thread about this if I was told by a waiter or someone on that level (no offense to waiters). It was told to me as a fact, a done deal. I asked when and was told he did not know. But he did say those close to Diamond would have the opportunity to reach the next level within a certain amount of time. Since the solution has already been decided I would assume the announcement of the changes would be VERY soon.

Dude, I don't question you. I was just asking if you knew when. But you answered that. Thanks.

I would assume, since the last change was on Jan 1, 2003 that the new levels would be imposed on Jan 1, 2009. Just makes sense.

Sandlot Rules: He who owns the bat and the ball makes the rules!

My wife & I completed #10 this past Christmas. I have verified that we are listed as Diamond for the Serenade later this month. I appreciate the extra balcony discount, the departure waiting area, the coupon book(s), the get-together onboard. I must admit though that we probably will not even set foot in the lounge on the Serenade. We don't drink, and I really have not heard of much else to go there fore.

I agree that 10 sailings is not as signifigant as it used to be. If RCI took the whole program away tomorrow, would I be upset? Probably, as I think it would be a bad PR move and poor customer service. Do I begrudge them "upping the ante" so to speak? Not at all. Even if we were caught in the gap, We would still sail RCI, as this is simply a perk, and really not relavent in our choice of lines.

Archived