Big Changes Coming to RCCL's Loyalty Program

I don't think that RCI suits are looking to eliminate benefits for their loyal customers. I do think, however, they are trying to cope with the ever increasing numbers of guests who qualify for those benefits which sometimes, as in the case of concierge lounge access, make it difficult to fulfill their promises. As far as the new ships that they are building, initially they expect to fill them with all of the many cruisers who anxiously await news of the new and innovative features that they are expected to offer, and those who always want to sail on the newest and largest ships out there. Loyalty has nothing to do with it. They probably also feel that most of their most loyal guests sail with them because of the product they offer, not some relatively minor perquisites. If they rely too much on their loyalty program in order to fill their ships, they run the risk that the competition will simply develop a better benefit package and lure those guests to that line.

If you really would switch to another line that offered you a better benefit package, regardless of the quality of the cruise experience it offered, perhaps you aren't quite the "loyal" passenger that you hold yourself out to be.:rolleyes:

I believe you covered the subject very well.;)

RCCL does monitor this site. With 5 pages posted in about 11 hours, this is one of CC's hottest topics. Maybe the suits will have some 2nd or 3rd thoughts.

We sailed as D for the first time last week. We'd be grandfathered and no big deal. For those of you who avoid the CL because you do not drink, you can have a very nice "help yourself" breakfast there. Muffins, buns, toast, cheese plates, meat plate, fruits, coffee, tea, cappeucino, lattes, and more. Some, especially Radiance class CL's, have a wonderful view.

In the evening, you don't need to have a drink. Have a diet coke or bottled water and enjoy the hot appetizers or veggie tray or cheese plate. You earned it, enjoy it.

If RCCL gives enough notice of these changes, they should receive a huge amount of bookings (depo$it$) for those trying to cover their next level.

Rick and Deirdra

One more thought.

Not to discount Kewl Guy, he just reported what he was told. Towards the end of 2007 we heard that lobster was done, no more live music, no more self serve soft ice cream, etc. We observed on Jewel last week that the latter three are alive and well. Uh, actually, the lobster are not alive, but you know what we mean.

Rick and Deirdra

I don't know if I would agree that the concierge lounge is getting overcrowded because of the Crown & Anchor program. I was just curious, so I looked at all the decks on the Liberty. I came up with roughly 35 cabins that would entitle the occupants to use the concierge lounge. So that would be at least 70 people @ 2 people a cabin. But some of those were family suites that means more people. So lets say 80 people now are entitled to the lounge.

You couldn't even fit 80 people into that lounge.

Now we have 80 people plus the Crown & Anchor program people.

Maybe the lounges are just too small? Maybe they should just remove that perk from the Crown & Anchor program all together?

I was just on the Liberty of the Seas and I'm a Diamond Member.

There are two Concierge Lounges on the ship.

Deck 10 is for Suites only (no Jr. Suites). No Captain's Club members allowed in that one (my card did not work).

Deck 14 is for Captain's Club members with Diamond or more status. I received a separate card in my cabin with a letter explaining the benefits of the Concierge and the use of the club. This one also has an outside deck with tables and chair as well. A computer for your use is also available. A concierge is there for members. He made our dining reservations for us for the specialty restaurant.

It's a very nice perk and RCL knew they could not combine this service to suites and Captain's Club members in one lounge, so they have two.

Well if this is true, who is going to add me in as a relative on their Diamond Plus account?? Seriously, this is crap :(

That's part of the problem. I don't think someone should be added to a Diamond account because they live at the same residence. It took me 20 years to get to Diamond Level. This will certainly be interesting.

Here's my take:

Up until a few years ago, having 10 + cruises meant an awful lot...especially if you were the type who took long cruises and/or stayed in Suites...

Which gets me to the real point: I don't care. I don't choose to cruise with Royal Caribbean or Celebrity for the perks. I choose for the cruise itself... for the itinerary... for the ship...for the service...for the style...

The "perks" are WAY down the list in consideration...

I've never once thought, "I'd book another Royal Caribbean or Celebrity cruise, but I'm already at the Diamond level in C&A and Diamond Plus is just so far away, so what's the point?"

I book each cruise because of the CRUISE ITSELF...nothing more...

Now the above is a perfect example of why some of us cruise. it's for the experience. We are never going to make it out of Gold level because the family just does not have the $$ that it will take. Platinum maybe but Diamond or D+ ? Not unless we get some financial help from someone very rich. At present we have 2 credits on Celebrity (CC Class cabin) and one on Royal with a 2 credit coming up in a suite. We will have 5 total credits between 2 lines both part of the RCCL. So I'll consider us to be unofficial Platinums because the lines credits are not additive across brands. Still maybe things will change and we will be able to find a way to afford a 12 night Cruise to Turkey Greece Egypt and Italy. But it's going to take me some time to save the $$ :D

What it sounds like is there are too many C&A members now at the Diamond level. How about RCCL stop giving cruise credits to people who don't take cruises. I know that may hurt some of our family members, but it would be better than having to sail an extra 15 cruises. Another thing RCCL could look into is a private lounge just for C&A members. This would be separate from the CL. It could have some of the same amenities and include an area to book future cruises. The key word is private, not open to the public; only C&A members. To accomplish this they would need to do some reburbishing of the ships, and tyhats where a wonderful idea will most likely die. Good Sailing, Murf.;)

IF A CHANGE IS ON THE WAY: I think the credits would be "fairer" though not perfect, if the credits were based on "days" cruised or "$" spent . Similar to airlines miles programs, or credit cards $ spent programs.

I believe RCL has the right to change the program, I like the grandfather clause, and I like the opportunity for cruisers to reach the level by a certain date, like 1/1/09. (Not like the fuel surcharge, no chance to pay in full before it was implemented) If the requirements go from 10 to 25, increase of 2.5x, from 25 to 50 is 2.0x.

For example, if nites cruised

Diamond 100 nites = 15 7 nite cruises

Diamond + 200 nites= 29 7 nite cruises

For example, if $ spent

Diamond $10,000 total

Diamond + $25,000 total

It is important to create levels that can be reached.

Most award programs use nights or miles or $ spent.

Well yes, until you have 3,000 posts, then you will become a "Blue Ribbon Cruiser" ;) :D

###

Oooh Ahh. I hereby declare I shalt have no other cruise board other than Cruise Critic until I reach such exalted status as Blue Ribbon. Will I get a wave mouse or some other such perk?:D Sorry, back to the regularly scheduled session.

To me 25 is an almost unattainable goal.:( There will be no point in even trying anymore. I have to fly to most of my cruises, as do others, so that limits how many cruises I take.

SAME here, Carol. :( Oh well...I guess I'll just enjoy cruising and not pay much attention to the C&A level. Not that I ever did before anyway, lol...but now it's way out of my league to even think about.

Dagadget . . . Thank you for serving in the US Navy for 9 years. Thank you for serving your country.

Rick, Vietnam '66-'67.

Thanks. sometimes I wish that I could have made it one year more to make it to 30 but that did not happen. I'll pass along the thanks to you as well. you served in vietnam and that service should be honored as above and beyond. Only now over 30 years later is the gratitude coming out. I still remember the riots over that. What a hard thing to come home to.

Oooh Ahh. I hereby declare I shalt have no other cruise board other than Cruise Critic until I reach such exalted status as Blue Ribbon. Will I get a wave mouse or some other such perk?:D Sorry, back to the regularly scheduled session.

Nope you have to win the wave mouse at the M & M, I did:D:p

You won't get carp :D :eek:

Just get busy responding to posts ;) :D

###

What it sounds like is there are too many C&A members now at the Diamond level. How about RCCL stop giving cruise credits to people who don't take cruises. I know that may hurt some of our family members, but it would be better than having to sail an extra 15 cruises. Another thing RCCL could look into is a private lounge just for C&A members. This would be separate from the CL. It could have some of the same amenities and include an area to book future cruises. The key word is private, not open to the public; only C&A members. To accomplish this they would need to do some reburbishing of the ships, and tyhats where a wonderful idea will most likely die. Good Sailing, Murf.;)

I agree with not giving everyone Diamond status just because they live at the same address. I know several people that list children that are married as living at the same address just so they can get Diamond status. I think they should remove people from Diamond status if they truly didn't cruise themselves for the amount of credits that they have. Also people that are newly married can get Diamond credit if they travel one time and their spouse is currently a Diamond member. It truly should be based on paying customers only...now that's loyalty~

Whew! Took awhile to read all the pages...but had heard about this earlier today so went right to a Mgr. of C&A with an email.....and you can believe it or not, but this is the word I got back:

While we are always looking for ways to improve the program for the benefit of our members, the rumors circulating on that post are absolutely untrue and have no basis in fact whatsoever. It's personally discouraging to me to see so many valuable members get upset over what amounts to nothing!

Anytime you see a hot topic like this come around, I appreciate you letting me know. I will speak to my contacts on NV to see if I can do some rumor control.

Mar~

Whew! Took awhile to read all the pages...but had heard about this earlier today so went right to a Mgr. of C&A with an email.....and you can believe it or not, but this is the word I got back:

While we are always looking for ways to improve the program for the benefit of our members, the rumors circulating on that post are absolutely untrue and have no basis in fact whatsoever. It's personally discouraging to me to see so many valuable members get upset over what amounts to nothing!

Anytime you see a hot topic like this come around, I appreciate you letting me know. I will speak to my contacts on NV to see if I can do some rumor control.

Mar~

Don't tell me that this is from a Manager at the C & A Society. He/she writes as bad as me, and english is my second language.

And what is this "on NV" and why does a Manager has to speak to some contacts? How about the Manager does his/her own rumor control.

Are you trying to discredit the OP?

Whew! I wish that I had seen this thread earlier in the day! It has taken me EONS to read through the whole thing, before I can start responding to some posts.

I'll start here:

We have 8 credits each and thought we'd be making diamond with our cruise this December. We cruise in accessible cabins as I use a wheelchair so we can't access the CL via booking a suite as a JS is the highest accessible cabins. I guess if this comes to pass I'll be calling the special needs folks to see what my options are.

Francesca, a JS gets two cruise credits. Unlike "suite access" to the Concierge Lounge, the JS "counts" for double cruise credits.

Archived