Big Changes Coming to RCCL's Loyalty Program

Whew! Took awhile to read all the pages...but had heard about this earlier today so went right to a Mgr. of C&A with an email.....and you can believe it or not, but this is the word I got back:

While we are always looking for ways to improve the program for the benefit of our members, the rumors circulating on that post are absolutely untrue and have no basis in fact whatsoever. It's personally discouraging to me to see so many valuable members get upset over what amounts to nothing!

Anytime you see a hot topic like this come around, I appreciate you letting me know. I will speak to my contacts on NV to see if I can do some rumor control.

Mar~

Don't tell me that this is from a Manager at the C & A Society. He/she writes as bad as me, and english is my second language.

And what is this "on NV" and why does a Manager has to speak to some contacts? How about the Manager does his/her own rumor control.

Are you trying to discredit the OP?

I also have to come to the defense of Marilyn's post. I have met and sailed with the person who responded to her email.............and I can guarantee everyone...........that if anyone knows what is going on within C&A, this individual does.

No discredit to the OP either, he learned something on a cruise and decided to share it with us................that's what makes CC so much fun and it certainly adds to everyone's post counts!:D

I'm curious as to what the balcony discount is, and at what level you need to reach to get it...Thanks in advance!

At Platinum you start receiving balcony discounts and they get better with the higher d and d+. I know for my 12 night I will be getting $200 off and it depends on the length of the cruise.

Dont tempt me lol. I admit I really think this whole thing is so unfair. OK so you are diamond...maybe I can find a diamond plus who wants to claim me as their daughter, mother, something, any other bidders??

Im not sure it would be worth payinig for both you and your wife to come with us on the Voyager but its worth a thought.

No, No No! You misunderstood, you only have to pay for me!!!

to find out what the balcony discounts are, look in the search area and plug in balcony discounts- they are different for platinum and diamond and they depend on the length of the cruise as to how much- great perk , by the way-

the coupon books we get in the cabins get better with each level also-

we just reached diamond in sept- i had thought about booking another cruiseline for our dec cruise but could not bring myself to do it because of the perks we get with royal and my fantasy idea of reaching diamond plus....:) if they push diamond plus to 50 cruise credits i will give up that dream..............lol :)

to find out what the balcony discounts are, look in the search area and plug in balcony discounts- they are different for platinum and diamond and they depend on the length of the cruise as to how much- great perk , by the way-

the coupon books we get in the cabins get better with each level also-

we just reached diamond in sept- i had thought about booking another cruiseline for our dec cruise but could not bring myself to do it because of the perks we get with royal and my fantasy idea of reaching diamond plus....:) if they push diamond plus to 50 cruise credits i will give up that dream..............lol :)

At Platinum you start receiving balcony discounts and they get better with the higher d and d+. I know for my 12 night I will be getting $200 off and it depends on the length of the cruise.

$200 off a balcony is pretty good but I am not even D yet and just for being a C&A member I got a $125 coupon for my cruise in 9 days!! [yay-had to say the 9 days :) ] So-once I turn P or D-I get even more discounts then or just $75.00 more?

These perks are getting so confusing to me.:(

Diamond and D+ balcony discounts are $100, $200 and $300 depending on the length of the cruise.

The Concierge Lounge is open 24 hours a day with a coffee machine that works most of the time. Cappucino, espresso, hot tea and regular coffee are provided.

There is a continental breakfast in the morning with salmon, cold cuts, cheese, fruit, toast, muffins, bagels and donuts.

Starting at 5:00 there are hot hors d'ourves, petit fours, etc. The Concierge or his assistant will mix drinks for you. They have a variety of liquor and wine. They also have soft drinks. The liquor and wine are well bottles. No top shelf or call drinks.

The Concierge has ice show tickets, will make reservations at the spa and specialty restaurants, send and receive faxes, might have priority tender tickets and various other duties.

Good to see all the Royal Champions on here.

We recently became Diamond Plus and the difference between Diamond and Diamond Plus is so slight I would not worry if you do not reach D+.

The only perk over Diamond we receive is a small amenity such as an inexpensive bottle of wine or slippers. In fact on the last cruise the wine was never delivered. When I asked the head waiter he told me there was no record of it. I finally did get it later after asking the concierge to follow up for me (as I could not speak to the Loyalty Ambassador – she was always with clients.)

The “exclusive access” to a loyalty ambassador was not offered. I did not sign up to see the LA (I thought I had some sort of “exclusive access”) so I had to wait over an hour to book a cruise. Our ship was full so the anticipated upgrade never materialized. If there had been availability – those with LOTS of sailing get first offer anyway (as I guess it should be)

The welcome back Plat/Diamond/D+ event was just a few cocktails and appetizers, prior to second formal dinner. The same items or worse than those found in the Concierge lounge and not much better than are offered at the general welcome party. Appetizers were delivered the cabin only one night (of 7). No bathroom amenities either. Perhaps the issue was this particular ship and sailing as we had many more offering as Diamond on previous cruises (We were on the Mariner Jan 6 sailing)

We did enjoy the behind the scenes tour.

By the way – apparently the lounge was crowded prior to first seating dinner (according to friends) – but it was basically empty after 6. We did go to the satellite one evening for a change. We were the only ones in there. Coffee machine in CL was down all week (so much for few lattes)

To be honest - I’m not sure why we tried so hard (mostly one cruise at a time) to get to D+.

M

From the beginning we always felt the credits should be based on the amount of days that you're cruising. But they don't listen to us. ;)

I agree. Our 11-day cruise got us one credit... the same as some of our shorter ones. Didn't seem equal.. could take two fours etc. But, we cruised for the price and the itinerary.

$200 off a balcony is pretty good but I am not even D yet and just for being a C&A member I got a $125 coupon for my cruise in 9 days!! [yay-had to say the 9 days :) ] So-once I turn P or D-I get even more discounts then or just $75.00 more?

These perks are getting so confusing to me.:(

For our upcoming Serenade cruise we received $150 off for the C&A coupon listed for our sailing, as well as the $200 diamond balcony discount. The P/D/D+ balcony discounts are usually in addition to most other coupons, etc.

I do remember that they were not combineable with a couple of poorly handled sales promos RCI did a while ago...they caught a lot of flak for that!

No, No No! You misunderstood, you only have to pay for me!!!

Sounds like a deal. I was thinking I might have to bribe your wife as well to adopt me. I only have 3 credits, Im not even close to being diamond.

I need to be adopted to get your address.

I really wanted to be diamond....just because. How do you feel about Voyager, Im in Texas

I know they are trying to balance out the fact that they don't have any accessible cabins that are eligible for the CL so I suppose they chose JS as it's the highest class accessible cabin you can get. I personally didn't want to go that path and didn't ask for access for our last cruise even though we were in an accessible JS. Hopefully whatever changes they are making won't happen till 2009 as we'll be diamond after our December cruise we have booked.
Thanks..I didnt think about the fact the higher up suites are not accessible.......makes sense to me now...

Wow - look how many are here from that Liberty Pre-Inaugural! Hi everyone!! :D

HIYA Tina!!:) :)

What are the RCI suits thinking? Just when they are about to add two new Genesis Class ships in the next couple of years plus they will soon have three Freedon Class ships and all their others, they are going to cut benefits that keep loyal cruisers loyal?

Who do they think is going to sail in all those cabins on those humongous ships? It surely must be more costly to court brand new cruisers than to keep lower rung Crown and Anchor members coming back. But if new rules make reaching higher rungs nearly unattainable or so long to attain that reaching Diamond Plus will hardly be worth it, RCI will undoubtedly be losing C&A members to other cruiselines for some or most of their cruises.

So back to my original question? What are the RCI suits thinking? And, oh, by the way, all the other cruise lines are building bigger ships too. I imagine the executives of RCI had better give this latest bamboozlement an rest.

These are some very intersting points.

Add this to the fact the most of the repeaters (who often sail the same itinerary/same ship many times over) are C&A members who tend to just stay aboard and spend more money on the ship itself rather the go ashore. I am guessing (mostly from what I read on the boards) that the majority of CC'ers who have sailed more than several times on the same 'ol ship sailing the same 'ol itinerary do the same.

I'm part of the crowd who also goes for the cruise experience more than the itinerary or ship. Any benefits or perks that make the "actual cruise experience" itself more enjoyable definitely plays a major role in my decision of what cruise I choose to take next.

That said, I have been choosing to cruise with Royal since 1980 and don't plan on choosing another cruiseline as of yet. Thses two benefits, priority embarkation/disembarkation/tendering and the Balcony discounts seal the deal for me, but I'm already biased toward RCCL because I've sailed them for so long and always had a great cruise.

Being a Diamond C&A member I had been looking forward to the extra perks the D+ members receive (especially the bridge tour) and although the thought of the benefits levels changing, it won't influence my current opinions. Of course, it's easy for me to feel this way because of I've aready acheived Diamond status (I would probrably feel differently if I weren't, most likely I'd be upset).

I do look at the C&A benefits as just that, benefits and I am relieved that my status would be "grandfathered in". Actually I'm more than relieved, I'm grateful, but again I say this as someone who has already achieved Diamond status.

Do I welcome this change in the benefits level, no not really. I 'd say I'm more neutral about it. But what do you do?

So the real question is this:

Was the whole idea of giving benefits and perks for being a loyal customer (Crown & Anchor Society membership) based on how much money a customer spends with Royal Caribbean or not?

There has never really been a clear answer to this, but there certainly and clearly been many opinions from cruisers about how the program was designed to work and who should receive what benefits and perks.

Now, it would appear Royal had decided that the program does need a little revamping. A little late in my opinion. Maybe, just maybe there will be a clear understanding of who's higher or lower on Royals loyal/valued customer list this time. Or do they really want that?

Obviously, we haven't figured out Royal Caribbean's definition of a more valuable customer.

There has been so many upset people lately and so many complaint threads (even posts on this thread) about the number repeaters that Royal extends more an more benefits to. Who is right? Who is wrong?

Diamond and Diamond Plus people think RCCL should make the benefits and perks harder to get since they have probrably spent more money over time with the company. This may be true but it's easy to say when you already have those benefits and perks.

The Suite catagory people think they should have exclusivity to most of the benefits and perks (regardless of C&A membership level) because they spend more money on a particular cruise. Mind you, that would be more money for the stateroom itself, not for the entire cruise... that would be difficult to verify.

Then there are folks who have sailed more days on their ships then most, regardless of stateroom catagory or credits. Who is to say they have spent more or less money overall than anyone else?

Then there are folks who qualify on all or more than one of these points.

So who's the loyal/valued customer? Why can't it be all of us? That's how we all feel, isn't it?

Everyone wants to feel valued by a company they patron. It doesn't matter if you're a Gold, Platinum, Diamond or Diamond Plus member. Royal Caribbean still has *the best* loyalty program on the ocean. Who of us can deny it?

Some of us need to step back for a moment and wait to see what really happens. Don't cancel your cruise or sell your stocks just yet based on what you see on an Internet message board. Nothing is ever written in stone. Nothing.

Sounds like a deal. I was thinking I might have to bribe your wife as well to adopt me. I only have 3 credits, Im not even close to being diamond.

I really wanted to be diamond....just because. How do you feel about Voyager, Im in Texas

Until all of this happens or if it happens then folks just need to wait and see. It's just like the rumor that was going around about lobster which has not been discontinued which I noticed that you are still telling folks on the Carnival board that it is along with other things that are being cutback without any proof. This is how the facts get distorted.:rolleyes:

Until all of this happens or if it happens then folks just need to wait and see. It's just like the rumor that was going around about lobster which has not been discontinued which I noticed that you are still telling folks on the Carnival board that it is along with other things that are being cutback without any proof. This is how the facts get distorted and rumors started.:rolleyes:

Quote from the Carnival board:

I think some things will always be better on one cruiseline than another, at least the Conquest will still be serving lobster unlike RCL who is cutting down on so many things.

End of Quote:

What things??????

Until all of this happens or if it happens then folks just need to wait and see. It's just like the rumor that was going around about lobster which has not been discontinued which I noticed that you are still telling folks on the Carnival board that it is along with other things that are being cutback without any proof. This is how the facts get distorted.:rolleyes:

sorry, I thought RCL had said that they are cutting back on lobster.

Im just not a diehard RCL cruiser to be honest and if they make the levels harder to attain, they will lose me and newer cruisers like me who are not yet loyal to any one cruiseline. I have a few credits on several different cruiselines.

thanks for the clarification about the lobster, the rest of what I posted was my own observation aboard the ship last April, true and what I saw myself, could have been due to the weather. We had snow in April?? on the way to the cruise on the rhapsody and the high winds could be why they shut down the deli, I do know I could not find anything open at 11 pm to get food the last night.

I do admit I think after reading all the cheerleaders on this board, I think my expectations were too high for the Rhapsody. Folks all said just wait until you do RCL, you will love it, it will be so much better than anything else you have done (did 1 Carnival and 2 Princess's before Rhapsody).

I can only base my opinions on my own personal feelings, I was planning on doing RCL more to be platinum than because I thought it was better than Princess. I liked Princess a lot.

I do own stock in RCL and think if this rumor is true, RCL is making a huge mistake. It already feels like there are two classes of people on the ship. I was on the SOV and got there early to walk off, but lol and behold of course the folks who were diamond were in the other lounge and we sat and waited for them. They do get special treatments. How many times have you read here, someone post that they are diamond or diamond plus and were upset that they were not treated special. So, yes I believed it must be special, even though I have never experienced it.

sorry about the lobster, I know now. I do learn from my mistakes, frequent though they may be. :D

I know you long timers all say "but RCL is worth jumping thru hoops", no matter what.

Here is another small example of my frustration with RCL. I had booked some Carnival cruises and with a simple pin number was able to transfer them to a TA. I thought great, saw a good price on Voyager and called and said I want to book this cabin at this price. Called the 800 # instead of the 888 # which I was told here was my mistake. They booked the wrong category, wrong price, and some random cabin. Turned out you cant call the person back at the 800 # and spent 3 hours being transferred trying to fix the mistake. Then it turns I have to fax in a form to transfer the booking to a TA. I dont have a fax machine here. They told me they are doing this for my own safety, I said Im giving you permission, I want to transfer the booking to get OBC. After 3 days of fixing problems and waiting to transfer the booking I said heck with this and cancelled the booking and said Ill just wait for another good price and (typo) call the TA first. Now I know.

I just find RCL very difficult to deal with compared to other cruiselines. Yes, I have learned so much from you folks, Im thankfull, but I also think RCL wants you to jump thru hoops to prove how special you think it is to book thru them.

I know that makes me not one of you and I want to be, but I cant say I am ready to become that RCL cheerleader....now this rumor. Too many rumors here to be worried about.

We recently became Diamond Plus and the difference between Diamond and Diamond Plus is so slight I would not worry if you do not reach D+.

The only perk over Diamond we receive is a small amenity such as an inexpensive bottle of wine or slippers. In fact on the last cruise the wine was never delivered. When I asked the head waiter he told me there was no record of it. I finally did get it later after asking the concierge to follow up for me (as I could not speak to the Loyalty Ambassador – she was always with clients.)

The “exclusive access” to a loyalty ambassador was not offered. I did not sign up to see the LA (I thought I had some sort of “exclusive access”) so I had to wait over an hour to book a cruise. Our ship was full so the anticipated upgrade never materialized. If there had been availability – those with LOTS of sailing get first offer anyway (as I guess it should be)

The welcome back Plat/Diamond/D+ event was just a few cocktails and appetizers, prior to second formal dinner. The same items or worse than those found in the Concierge lounge and not much better than are offered at the general welcome party. Appetizers were delivered the cabin only one night (of 7). No bathroom amenities either. Perhaps the issue was this particular ship and sailing as we had many more offering as Diamond on previous cruises (We were on the Mariner Jan 6 sailing)

We did enjoy the behind the scenes tour.

By the way – apparently the lounge was crowded prior to first seating dinner (according to friends) – but it was basically empty after 6. We did go to the satellite one evening for a change. We were the only ones in there. Coffee machine in CL was down all week (so much for few lattes)

To be honest - I’m not sure why we tried so hard (mostly one cruise at a time) to get to D+.

M

And the above poster has been on more then one cruie obviously:

So:

I read this and it makes me think of that song-'what are fighting for'. Yes, I am going to play devils advocate here but all these perks are nice but in 10 or 25 sailings-after the THOUSANDS of dollars you spend to get a few drinks-food-that is all over the ship anyways, a CL that gets ice show tickets for you a few drinks and some lattes, slippers [which I got on my second cruise], I don't drink wine but how much can a bottle cost, a party with again, a drink or two, the math don't work for me.

I may sound like I am dising RC but I am not. I look at the marketing gimick and say wow, I need to spend at least-[and I'm going real cheap for 2] $12,000 to get these perks. I would not spend all my money in one place to get the above. As we say in NY-12 grande ain't chump change!;)

Yes, the extra coupon you can use off a balcony room is a plus but the most that is is $300 on a 12 night cruise.

Don't get me wrong. I love the cruise experience with RC and will continue to sail. I will not knock myself out to get 10 cruises or more to get what has been mentioned. What keeps me coming back is service, service service-and they have always given me that -hands down!

Actually-forget the little food tidbits and a free drink here or there-nice big discount coupons for staterooms would make me smile!

Debde is now putting on her Armour suit!!!:eek:

I don't know if I would agree that the concierge lounge is getting overcrowded because of the Crown & Anchor program. I was just curious, so I looked at all the decks on the Liberty. I came up with roughly 35 cabins that would entitle the occupants to use the concierge lounge. So that would be at least 70 people @ 2 people a cabin. But some of those were family suites that means more people. So lets say 80 people now are entitled to the lounge.

You couldn't even fit 80 people into that lounge.

Now we have 80 people plus the Crown & Anchor program people.

Maybe the lounges are just too small? Maybe they should just remove that perk from the Crown & Anchor program all together?

Removing that perk would be terrible! That is the one benefit that's actually worthwhile. What they can keep are 80% of those stupid coupons for discounts on things that I wouldn't want anyway. Like the 10% discount on logo items - but not if they're on sale.

Then it turns I have to fax in a form to transfer the booking to a TA. I dont have a fax machine here.

I have never had to fax a form to transfer any of my cruises to my TA. Maybe I just got lucky??? Or I just have a great TA that makes everything so darn easy for me... :) Or you just got someone that wanted it in writing since your booking had so many issues?

Until all of this happens or if it happens then folks just need to wait and see. It's just like the rumor that was going around about lobster which has not been discontinued which I noticed that you are still telling folks on the Carnival board that it is along with other things that are being cutback without any proof. This is how the facts get distorted and rumors started.:rolleyes:

Quote from the Carnival board:

I think some things will always be better on one cruiseline than another, at least the Conquest will still be serving lobster unlike RCL who is cutting down on so many things.

End of Quote:

What things??????

On Brilliance over the Holidays (21 Dec to 2 Jan), we saw lobster tails once....it was so small that I suspect it was a rock shrimp....no other sign of lobster for the entire 12 nights:(

Yes....there are cutbacks. Used to get (free) cappucino or expresso at dinner too....waaah

Archived