Big Changes Coming to RCCL's Loyalty Program

Well, that kinda stinks! :mad: Here we just made Platinum last year and will get two credits for our Med cruise in Sept. Guess we'll never see Diamond now. Good reason to branch out to NCL, HAL and Princess. I have a feeling that in the long run this is just going to hurt them, especially for us that were trying to get to that next level in another year or so. So much for RCI being loyal to us.

Aubie

If all this hullabaloo is true, I second this. The chances of me making Platinum/Diamond/D+ before I'm too old to walk the gangplank are slim, even with current standards. If/When they change things, that might make me want to explore other cruise lines. Right now, I'm 'loyal to royal'...but 50 cruises to make D+? My C&A status will match my hair color at that point! *wonders what the year 2056 will be like*

The CL lounge is the least I am looking forward to. It was never a benefit to me to reach Diamond status for the CL lounge. But I do reckognize that a lot of Diamond members like it and value that benefit. What I find a horrendous policy is that every GS and above 3rd passenger, 4th passenger and so on has also CL access.

I do know of people, able adults, who stuff 4 or 5 people in a GS of which 2 or 3 pay the equal amount of an inside cabin yet they have the benefits of a CL and double points.

To make my point:

4 people in a GS on March 1 on the Navigator would pay $3596. That averages out to $899. The JS cost $1,159 on the same sailing and currently the cheapest balcony is $849.

The 3rd and 4th pay only $399 which is currently less than an inside ($549).

RCI really need to revamp their benefit program. Right now it is being abused.

Like I said, I personally do not care about the CL. I even have a 'no upgrade' in my file. But in general the benefit program is definitely to low and needs to be revamped. :)

Even if RCI revamps right before I enter diamond status I would understand it and take it in stride. My hopes would be that all the benefit only seeking people would go to other cruise lines and RCI would return to somewhat normalcy. :D;)

I cruise RCI for the cruise line and their ships, not for benefits or status. I take benefits when they come along.

Living in FL with several cruise ports in range and FL discount I could easily pick up 10 3-night cruises in inside cabins for $200 each and be diamond.

Just to take your example.............With all charges, that cruise comes to $3977 for four people for five days. That's almost exactly $200 a day per person. That's hardly comparable to an inside!

There has already been discussion over whether "shorter" cruises should be granted as much credit as longer ones. I'll leave that to those who want to argue over it. :rolleyes:

If that's a family cruising together, it's coming out of one wallet. If it's friends, I would guess that they are sharing equally - no one is paying "$399".

There is absolutely nothing wrong with four friends sharing a GS and getting GS privileges. It's not "cheating" or some other absurd characterization.

Well, if they want to take away then they should try to make it up in other ways; maybe if they did do that they would be a little better off economically? Perhaps more people would buy their stocks to the benefit of the company. I'm not trying to get greedy, but you always hear of "taking away" never "giving".

I trully hope that someone at RCL is reading the post and sees how it is affecting their loyal customers and how in the long run it will affect them.

I am not a "financial wizard", but I believe what I am posting is true.

Buy a company's stock does not benefit the company. Once an initial offering is made, it no longer owns the stock. You are buying the stock from another person/group that already owns the stock and no longer wishes to own it.

Why is everybody freaking out over something that hasn't happened yet? At this point it is just a rumor until RCCL announces any changes. So why not just sit back and relax and see what happens.

Because *that's* what we DO !!!!!! ;) :cool:

As with so many things in life, the biggest problem occurs when people stop thinking of benefits as something extra given to them as a reward and begin thinking of them as entitlements and woe to anyone who suggests that they be reduced, removed or made more difficult to attain.

If you cruise RCI primarily because of the benefits you receive as a frequent guest and not because you enjoy the style of cruising it offers, perhaps any changes in the benefits are justification enough to go elsewhere. (I would warn you that you are not likely to find a cruiseline that is more generous to its loyal clientele.) I like those perks as much as anyone but I began cruising with RCI and continued to do so, because I enjoy sailing on their ships and until that changes, I will continue to do so,perks or no.:rolleyes:

AMEN! And I'll never stop cruising Royal Caribbean at least until I get a chance to cruise with Bill and Rita!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They should just have a lounge for the Crown & Anchor people and leave the Concierge Lounge for the GS suites and above people.

Maybe RCCL will add a few more levels after the diamond plus. Maybe like a Titanium, Ruby and Sapphire levels.

Then they can have one lounge for the Platnium, Gold and Diamond. And another lounge for the Diamond Plus, Titanium, Ruby and Sapphire levels.

I think that you are all missing out on the OBVIOUS change that is need.

There should be a lounge for CRUISE CRITIC MEMBERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :eek: :D

Just to take your example.............With all charges, that cruise comes to $3977 for four people for five days. That's almost exactly $200 a day per person. That's hardly comparable to an inside!

There has already been discussion over whether "shorter" cruises should be granted as much credit as longer ones. I'll leave that to those who want to argue over it. :rolleyes:

If that's a family cruising together, it's coming out of one wallet. If it's friends, I would guess that they are sharing equally - no one is paying "$399".

There is absolutely nothing wrong with four friends sharing a GS and getting GS privileges. It's not "cheating" or some other absurd characterization.

I did not say cheating. I said that I think its BS that 4 able adults with an average bill of less than a JS receive certain benefits while the JS occupants don't. To make it even worse is that those people essentially pay balcony prices.

My suggestions was to revamp the benefit level in suites as well.

I think that you are all missing out on the OBVIOUS change that is need.

There should be a lounge for CRUISE CRITIC MEMBERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :eek: :D

It's about time you showed up on this thread... I've been waiting with baited breath for your take... and as usual, you have delivered exactly the responses I have come to love and respect:)

A lounge for Cruise Critic members???? Well, duh... why did it take over 200 posts to come to this logical conclusion???? ;)

Two more comments before I move on to another thread, like smoking or the fuel surcharge..........

1. Look at all the people who have posted: I hope that they give us a chance to get to the level before they change it. I'm going to go out and book one cruise, two cruises, a cruise in a suite, etc.

Perhaps RC is crazy like a fox?!?!?!??!?!

2. I would think that if RC makes such a huge gap to get to D+, 50 cruise credits, that they would finally make a greater distinction in the benefits that D+ members get, increasing them for D+, of course, not decreasing them for D.

Don't tell me that this is from a Manager at the C & A Society. He/she writes as bad as me, and english is my second language.

And what is this "on NV" and why does a Manager has to speak to some contacts? How about the Manager does his/her own rumor control.

Are you trying to discredit the OP?

Um, only since YOU brought it up................The quote contains no grammatical mistakes or misspellings. :confused: :confused: :confused:

If all this hullabaloo is true, I second this. The chances of me making Platinum/Diamond/D+ before I'm too old to walk the gangplank are slim, even with current standards. If/When they change things, that might make me want to explore other cruise lines. Right now, I'm 'loyal to royal'...but 50 cruises to make D+? My C&A status will match my hair color at that point! *wonders what the year 2056 will be like*

Have you seen the movie, Children of Men? ;)

I didn't ask about changes to the Platinum level but I would guess that would be raised also. I was told if someone has 8 or 9 credits you would have the opportunity to reach Diamond in an unspecified amount of time. This is not something that was decided on with little thought. Royal is trying to keep the amount of angry customers to a minimum. :)

I find your posts interesting. You said in your post that "this was not decided on with little thought" in reference to upping the criteria for the forementioned status'.

May I ask how you know this information? How would you know that "Royal" as you identify them, is trying to keep the amount of angry customers to a minimum?

I see that you have a gazillion posts here on Cruisecritics.com , are you an advicate/employee of your "Royal"?

Inquiring minds want to know,

Thanks!

I find your posts interesting. You said in your post that "this was not decided on with little thought" in reference to upping the criteria for the forementioned status'.

May I ask how you know this information? How would you know that "Royal" as you identify them, is trying to keep the amount of angry customers to a minimum?

I see that you have a gazillion posts here on Cruisecritics.com , are you an advicate/employee of your "Royal"?

Inquiring minds want to know,

Thanks!

Voyager, Tony is just an avid cruiser with a kind, pleasant, low-key demeanor. It comes as no surprise to me that a high-level Royal Caribbean exec on the same sailing as Tony would talk to him frankly. And Tony sails a variety of lines; he is not a RC *cheerleader*, just a straight-talker.

:)

First of all,speaking for myself,I did NOT milk the system to get to DP......... I live in FL and those 3 night Sovereign cruises are very affordable to get away for the weekend.........cheaper than staying at the beach.......so dont assume people take those cruises JUST to BEAT THE SYSTEM:rolleyes: to make D/DP......We are empty nesters who like to go away as much as we can.......

Hee, hee, hee:D

I'm just curious, FIRE. What did you pay per share back then? I got mine at $18.94 in 2003. :)

$ 8.91 per share at the end of October 2001

Also bought CCL at the same time, Comes in handy fo Cunard, Princess & HAL.

RCL has a better benefit :)

$ 8.91 per share at the end of October 2001

Also bought CCL at the same time, Comes in handy fo Cunard, Princess & HAL.

RCL has a better benefit :)

Holy moly! (one of my students told me the origin of that phrase today; I have to investigate and see if she is right). Way more impressive than my price differential. :D

You are right about CCL. They severely limit the benefit: They don't combine OBCs. If your TA has already given you $100 OBC, for instance, you don't get any more as a stockholder.

Don't tell me that this is from a Manager at the C & A Society. He/she writes as bad as me, and english is my second language.

And what is this "on NV" and why does a Manager has to speak to some contacts? How about the Manager does his/her own rumor control.

Are you trying to discredit the OP?

I think the English is fine, actually. I imagine "on NV" means "on Navigator," which is where Kewlguy was when he heard the news/rumor/scurrilous lie (take your pick;) ).

I don't think anybody is trying to discredit Kewlguy - I trust that he heard what he said he did (how's that for a tortured sentence?). But perhaps, and I say PERHAPS his source wasn't as knowledgeable as he/she should have been. Stay tuned and we'll find out one way or another.

Yep, that makes three of us who find the English perfectly acceptable. Perhaps not the most eloquent or polished I've ever seen, but definitely up to e-mail standards.

For the record, I'm not trying to discredit the OP of this thread, the OP of the post you quote, or anybody else. I'm only suggesting that we keep our cool and see how things unfold. :)

Archived