Category S Question

WindyCity

Dear 7- Oh puhleeeze give this one a break before it turns into yet another 'how dare you say that". Windy made a simple comment on her opinion and was attacked for it, as many of the rest of us have been. I am tired of it. Not every blinking statement on this board is a personal attack against you and Heather!

...What I was referring to was the above quote: ".....feel they could do away with them".

What Sandy Beach said was: "I purposely paid attention to see who was wearing flowers and I did not notice anyone. I think it is a luxury that they could do away with IMO."

In other words, if no one is using them then it's a needless expense.

I'm not sure how much could be saved by cutting them out, but if it would help bring back the Java Cafe coffee......

:) -dave

merryecho

You asked about suite perks for boarding the ship.

There is a separate line for suite passengers to board the ship in the cruise terminal. You will be given a gold paper medallion to stick onto your blouse and/or shirt. As soon as they start to call the numbers, you can board the ship. Then you can go to the Neptune Lounge, have some snacks, leave your carry-ons there if you want to explore the ship, or just sit back and relax until your cabin is ready.

KrazyKruisers,

Thanks for explaining about the boarding. When last we sailed, even though we were in a suite - there was no Neptune Lounge, no early boarding and, HAL employees seemed confused. We told them we were in a suite (thanks to these boards, we knew about separate check-in). They still had us wait in the regular line. Finally, with DH holding our place, we found another HAL employee and indicated we were suite passengers. They finally allowed us to enter "the Hall" in Canada Place to get into the suite line. After that, it was smooth sailing.

Nice to know we can leave carryons in the Neptune to go to the Lido. Helps to know those sorts of things in advance.

Thanks again for your information!:)

Mrs. Pony and I (as well as any GrandPonies on the trip) always wear our flowers for the first formal night. After dinner, my beautiful bride puts them in the fridge and we've been known to wear them to the next formal night also.
If you mist (or sprinkle) the corsage and boutonniere (yes, that is really how it is spelled :) ) with water and then place it into a plastic or cellophane bag and refrigerate, the flowers will stay fresher much longer and quite likely will look very good on the next formal night, depending on how long between nights. You can probably go 2-3 nights in between before there is substansial degredation of the flowers, depending on the type of flower. Certainly a carnation will hold quite well for days, roses a bit less.

It would be sacrilegious for me not to wear my corsage :)

Besides the description in the brochure, what's the difference between a deluxe suite & superior suite. Most of these postings are "suite" in general. I guess I really want to know if I get some or all of the above perks? esp... the flowers :)

Thanks

The suite perks come with a Deluxe Verandah Suite, catagory S, and Penthouse PH.

If this is your first time on HAL you are in for a real treat regardless of the cabin catagory you have chosen. There are perks that Deluxe Verandah Suites and Penthouse passengers pay for but most of them aren't anything that you cannot purchase separately.

Have a great cruise and make sure you tell us all about it upon your return.

For us, the best amenities that are included for "S" and "PS" that you cannot purchase in any other way than by booking those categories are the use of the Neptune Lounge and the Concierge Service; priority embarkation/disembarkation and tender passes; the cocktail party with Captain and Hotel Manager etc; guaranteed dining time. I love the included laundry and dry cleaning but that, of course, can be purchased by anyone in any cabin. I enjoy the flowers as well but I imagine one could buy a few carnations ashore in a port and make up their own corsage/boutinniere. I like some of the other amenities alot but some of them could be purchased by anyone.

stever

List of suite perks:

1.Separate desk to check in at the embarkation port.

2.personalized stationary - you can always ask the concierge for more if you need to.

3.Use of Neptune Lounge - continental breakfast, tea sandwishes for lunch, afternoon snacks, cookies,chocolates, teas, coffees, cold appetizers in the late afternoon, etc.

4.Concierge - can book shore excursions for you, make reservations for the Pinnacle Grill, make change, cash traveler's checks, anything you need to have done, the concierge(s) can do. Some ships have 2 concierges.

5.Boutonnieres and corsages for first formal evening.

6.Free laundry and dry cleaning 7& pressing.

7.Priority tender passes.

8.Priority embarkation.

9.Priority disembarkation.

10.Free use of binoculars.

11.Free use of a big umbrella.

12.Suite cocktail party first evening.

13.Maybe an invitation to a VIP cocktail party.

14.Maybe a suite buffet on last sea day in Crow's Nest.

stever,

Looks like we had the same idea. My friend still thinks we will stay in an inside cabin... I upgraded (in steps) from cat. M to cat. S. The price went down several times and the difference to the next category wasn't that much so I upgraded to the next. In the end I decided I could as well pay a bit more than for the SS and get all the suite perks.

Stever

I will try to keep it a surprise as long as possible, hopefully until the moment we enter the suite. When standin in the suites line, I probably can get away with saying we are allowed to stand there since I have cruised with HAL before. Then I just have to hope the check-in rep is not mentioning anything concerning the suite.

Marc

Try to be the first one that hands the documents to the rep and have a bold note inside that asks to keep the SUITE a SECRET from your traveling mate.

I did this on our Maasdam cruise and my DH was blown away when we got to our cabin.

Have a great time and I hope the suite stays a secret. :)

DH & I would have worn ours, but we gave them to my 'parental units' as they had given up their handicap S to my DB & SIL so they would be happy :rolleyes: and took DB's handicap C instead (they were upgraded to to a handicap A :D when they got their docs anyway).

One of my favorite perks is the "welcome aboard" bottle of champagne that is in the suite upon embarkation. We are always out on deck during sailaway, and I love to come back and have a nice glass of champagne while getting ready for dinner. That's when I feel that I'm really on vacation!

We haven't worn the flowers, though.

This is our first HAL cruise and our first suite (with one of those big wrap around verandas ! )

After reading all this it makes me even more excited about the cruise!

Oh... another first: the first time we sail from our hometown! I love going past the embarcadero and seeing the ships. Our turn now to sail away....

This is going to be fun--plan to savor it all--including wearing the flowers!)

Archived