American Airlines to San Juan

ruetundra

Has anyone used American Airlines to fly in and out of San Juan? Is this the airline that filed bankruptcy? They are the cheapest flight from Minneapolis to San Juan with a plane change in Miami. I have only flown Northwest. I have never heard of American Airlines. Any comments (good or bad) would be appreciated.

Thanks

It is US Airways that filed bankruptcy just recently.

I have flown American several times - I find it very equivalant to United Airlines and Northwest. It is a very large airline and I haven't had any problems with it. I wouldn't expect any extras such as good food or roomy seats but they will get you from one point to another.

FYI - many of the large airlines (United, AA, Delta) are having some financial issues and have for years. This would not prevent me from flying these airlines as they are still running their normal schedules.

I wouldn't expect any extras such as good food or roomy seats but they will get you from one point to another.
On most of its flights, American Airlines has more legroom (technically, a deeper pitch) throughout its entire economy cabin. They call this More Room Throughout Coach. Broadly speaking, this is legroom that's the same as United reserves for its frequent flyers and full-fare passengers in what it calls Economy Plus - but on AA it's available to everyone.

MRTC has been taken off some of AA's leisure routes, though, so you might need to have a dig around on their website to see whether or not your aircraft would have it.

For the OP, it's a bit of a surprise that you haven't heard of American Airlines - they are now the largest airline in the world, undisputed.

Have always gone American to San Juan (including tomorrow when we take off to sail on the Golden).

They used to have St. Louis (our home) as a hub and we had non-stop; however, when they stopped that, we now have a change of planes (almost to everywhere).

We leave STL tomorrow at 7:10AM and should arrive in San Juan around 1:42PM with a change of planes in Orlando. Since the ship doesn't depart until 11PM, we should be ok.

Depending on your sail date, United is having $$ problems as well. Choose carefully. We had originally booked with Princess at a big $$ amt. Was able to hit AA's site just right and are saving $400 (that will surely buy us a few umbrella drinks on the ship). I believe Princess said something about 40 or 49 days out we could cancel WITHOUT a penalty at all.

Happy shopping for fares.

jduals

If the Original Poster is from the Minneapolis area - that airport is dominated so heavily by Northwest/KLM airlines - it wouldn't surprise me if that is all they are used to.

Sometimes I read people's advice on certain airlines to fly and from where I live - we don't have access to any of them (Alaskan, Jet Blue, Song, Ted, etc. .). It is sort of one of those things that you are only familiar with airlines in your area.

American had the best price for us from San Juan (one-way cause of canal cruise). I thought $119 was a great price....I was at the purchase tickets screen and decided to open another screen and sign me and hubby up for their FF program. After I signed us up for the program, I went back to purchase the tickets...lo and behold, the $119 tickets dropped in price to $69 pp ($88.20 with all the taxes). I was REALLY surprised. I don't mind making $100 for 5 minutes of signing us up for benefits.

Thanks for all your replies.

I know it seemed like a silly question. I am from Minnepolis and yes - Northwest has their main hub here. I have only flown twice and both were with Northwest.

American Airlines has the cheaper flight changing planes in Miami. Delta would be the next (yes I have heard of this airline), with a plane change in Atlanta.

Looks like we are choosing American Airlines. My TA mentioned American Airlines has a brand new gate area in San Juan that is only a year old.

Again thanks for all your replies.

AA is the airline I've used for years to fly into San Juan or other areas in the Caribbean. AA has its main hub in Dallas/Ft. Worth, and another hub in Miami, because its American Eagle flights go into most Caribbean destinations. I've also gotten great bumping deals from them, and have used my AAdvantage miles many times. Gotta say - it's my favorite airline, and I now live near Atlanta, which is Delta's hub.

WOw! That is an unbelievable price. I have always been a fan of AA until I checked their lowest fares from Chicago O'Hare to San Juan (RT - over $800 pp) for Jan.

I found ATA at $308+ taxes (non-stop) for Jan. - total was $348. That was the best I could find and I jumped on it!

Kaye

I can say that, barring the end of the world, US Air will be flying a few weeks from now. Chapter 11 is simply debt restructuring and an attempt to gain negotiating leverage with creditors and unions. Now, if they go in to Chapter 7, that's another, much worse state of affairs.
I'd agree with the assessment about the situation in a few weeks. However, the closer it gets to Christmas this year, the dodgier things will be.

I don't think that one should be that sanguine about what Chapter 11 means this time round for US Airways. Last time they had a plan and a backer (although they subsequently found a better backer), and they had financing arranged for the purposes of the restructuring. This time round they have none of those - they have gone into Chapter 11 because they were absolutely backed into it and had no other choice, but they have nothing left to raise any more money with.

Just flew back from San Juan to Tampa after our cruise out of Puerto Rico. Both going and coming back were great - on time flights, not even fully booked. We'll be flying back there for Christmas using the same once-a-day direct flight out of Tampa.

Archived