Name on docs vs. name on DL

Everyone, I hope you can help me out here. I was just on RC's site and looking at a sample Guest Vacation Document. It states to ensure that the name on the document matches your ID. Since this is our first cruise ever, I'm not sure if I'll have a problem. My DL shows my middle name (really my maiden name that I changed to my middle name once I got married) and when I booked I didn't include it. I've booked numerous flights without my middle name and have never had a problem once my ID is checked. Since this is my first cruise, I thought I'd better ask. I think I can call RC and have it changed but wanted to know how strict they are regarding this. I don't know if this is relevant or not, but we haven't checked in yet or received any documents.

Should not be a problem, just make sure you have the right kind of birth certificate ( not the hospital one) or a passport and those should match your reservation. My passport say my middle name but I don't book my reservation using it.

Middle name is not a big deal. As long and first and last name are the same b/t your passport and cruise docs, you are fine, or b/t your DL and cruise docs. Like prior said, if using DL, then make sure your Birth Cert is the right one. We have used Passports for so long now, I would not even know what to use for a Birth Cert!!:D

Are you saying that your DL says Mary Smith Jones, but your cruise documents say Mary Jones? If so, you shouldn't have a problem at all. Many people have a middle name on their documents, but do not use their middle name on their air or cruise tickets,

Are you saying that your DL says Mary Smith Jones, but your cruise documents say Mary Jones? If so, you shouldn't have a problem at all. Many people have a middle name on their documents, but do not use their middle name on their air or cruise tickets,

Yes that's exactly it. Thank you so much everyone for your replies!

Hopefully someone doesn't think that Smith Jones is a legal double name.

:):p

Actually, your last name on the birth certificate won't be the same as a driver's license, if you're married! And, no, it doesn't matter! No married woman's BC and DL show the same name. You don't need a marriage license, either, despite what some may say!!!!!

Actually, your last name on the birth certificate won't be the same as a driver's license, if you're married! And, no, it doesn't matter! No married woman's BC and DL show the same name. You don't need a marriage license, either, despite what some may say!!!!!

So when they ask for it and you don't have it, do they let you onboard anyway? On her first cruise, my mom didn't have a passport. Her driver's license says Mary Kay Jones but her birth certificate has Mary Kay Smith. The agent asked to see her marriage license as proof of the name change. I had heard that they sometimes ask for that so told her to bring it. Are you saying that if she didn't have it, it wouldn't matter? On her second cruise, she also brought DL, BC, & ML but they didn't ask to see the ML that time.

She got a passport before her 3rd cruise so it doesn't matter anymore.

How can you say this so definitively? I was asked for my marriage license twice. This is by US Customs and Immigration AFTER the cruise, to allow me back into the country. It might not be required by the cruise line, but people have been asked. As the previous poster said - do you really believe that in this post-9/11 Homeland Security era, that it doesn't matter if you cannot produce proof that Mary Kay Jones and Mary Kay Smith is the same person? I wouldn't travle without a document, such as a marriage licence, that bridges the name on my BC with the name on my DL and travel documents.

I am a travel agent. Never had a married US citizen traveling with BC and DL asked for a marriage license or the like nor does the cruise line tell you it is required.

Now to clairfy for passports, the name shown as SURNAME on the PP must match the last name on the ships manifest. Note I said manifest. If you docs were issued and you subsequently correct an error in the name with the cruise line, you can get e-docs reissued but that is not critical in most cases. It is what they have in their computer when you get to the pier that must match your PP. Docs would be your proof that you made a correction.

If your SURNAME on your PP says, Smith-Jones, than what the cruise line has must match. If the Smith appears as part of the first name on the PP, than Jones must appear as the last name with the cruise line.

Clear?

P.S. Traveling a lot? Get a passport.

I have to chime in jest but you are not exactly right. :D

At least 50% of all cruisers will have the same name on birth certificate and DL (last time I looked men didn't change their name when they got married, well most don't).

Also there are quiet a few married women who never adopt their husbands last name and will have a DL and a BC that match.

Of course you are correct that with most women the names on their BC and other form of ID will not match, but remember never say never. LOL :)

I have to chime in jest but you are not exactly right. :D

At least 50% of all cruisers will have the same name on birth certificate and DL (last time I looked men didn't change their name when they got married, well most don't).

Also there are quiet a few married women who never adopt their husbands last name and will have a DL and a BC that match.

Of course you are correct that with most women the names on their BC and other form of ID will not match, but remember never say never. LOL :)

My wife had to show our marriage certificate on one of our cruises before we got our passports. She had it with her because the name on her birth certificate didn't match the name on her drivers license and we were told by a friend we should bring it along. Im glad we did because when they asked for it we had it. I dont know how long we would have been held up or what would have happened if we didnt have it.

When we applied for our passports last year, I took my marriage cert to prove my name change. They did not even want to look at it. Funny how some seem to be asked for it by the curise line or customs, but it is not required for the passport.

Deb

How can you say this so definitively? I was asked for my marriage license twice. This is by US Customs and Immigration AFTER the cruise, to allow me back into the country. .

If the cruise documents are the same name as on a DL you should not be asked for your Marriage license. You had to show a marriage license for the name change for a DL--which is an official document.

Most cruisers do NOT take a Marriage license with them. Was the name on your DL the same as the cruise documents?

What would have happened if you didnt take it??

I realize by BC and DL won't match if I'm married and took my DH's last name. I seldom use my middle name (my maiden name) so when I booked the cruise I only booked as "Mary Jones". My DL shows "Mary Smith Jones". Although we don't need a passport for this particular cruise (next month to Mexico) we did apply for them, but doubt we'll get them before the cruise. Just to be on the safe side, I'll probably call RC and take my marriage license just in case.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

Just to add another opinion... If you're using both names, ditch the hypen, it just messes everything up. I do Kate Smith Jones on my DL (using maiden name as middle name), my docs, but I fly as Kate Jones on many airlines as I had frequent flyer accounts prior to getting married (I was 30 getting married, I had a whole *life* pre dh) and I've never had a problem. The hypen for some reason makes people think the names have to be together but if you have the space no one seems to care.

Kids are Kid1 Jones and Kid2 Jones and even when I fly with them alone (as Kate Smith) no one has ever questioned me because (I think) both names are still there on the DL.

The only issue I've ever had is finding records at my OB/GYN. I only have to go annually and I can never remember which name they file my records under (dh Jones has the insurance under his name). They usually use my birthdate to find them! :)

Just to add another opinion... If you're using both names, ditch the hypen, it just messes everything up. I do Kate Smith Jones on my DL (using maiden name as middle name), my docs, but I fly as Kate Jones on many airlines as I had frequent flyer accounts prior to getting married (I was 30 getting married, I had a whole *life* pre dh) and I've never had a problem. The hypen for some reason makes people think the names have to be together but if you have the space no one seems to care.

Kids are Kid1 Jones and Kid2 Jones and even when I fly with them alone (as Kate Smith) no one has ever questioned me because (I think) both names are still there on the DL.

The only issue I've ever had is finding records at my OB/GYN. I only have to go annually and I can never remember which name they file my records under (dh Jones has the insurance under his name). They usually use my birthdate to find them! :)

I don't do the hyphen thing, I have it just like you do Kate Smith Jones on my DL (using maiden name as middle name), but usually only use Kate Jones. That's the name I booked the cruise under even though my DL says Kate Smith Jones.

When we applied for our passports last year, I took my marriage cert to prove my name change. They did not even want to look at it. Funny how some seem to be asked for it by the curise line or customs, but it is not required for the passport.

Deb

On the passport application, you have to list any previous names that you went by. Your maiden name would be divulged there.

On the passport application, you have to list any previous names that you went by. Your maiden name would be divulged there.

Also the government has access to the record of your name change thru the Social security Office. the cruise line does not.

Archived