about 24 hours off the legend, any questions?

man of many coats

Just un packed my suitcase. I spent the entire day on the beach in Florida yesterday, and I come home to 9 above. Well folks I gotta tell you I was less then satisfied with the legend. :( It is a beautiful ship. But they are lacking in alot of little things. And let me tell you, the food was nothing to write home about. I was on the conquest two years ago or so, and let me tell you. That was good!! from service to the food and all the little things. I have ALL the capers and the price list for the shore trips. any questions let me have em.

Sorry to hear you weren't impressed with the Legend. We were on her in July and loved it!!! Thought the service and food were the best we had experienced on Carnival to date. And I was so impressed that security enforced the adults-only area. Maybe it was just an off week.

I must agree with Newfie! We were on this cruise in November and enjoyed every aspect! In fact we are booking the exact same cruise with Saints & Sinners in Oct 09. Will be interesting to hear what bothered you...but maybe it all goes back to don't sweat the small stuff?:)

Just un packed my suitcase. I spent the entire day on the beach in Florida yesterday, and I come home to 9 above. Well folks I gotta tell you I was less then satisfied with the legend. :( It is a beautiful ship. But they are lacking in alot of little things. And let me tell you, the food was nothing to write home about. I was on the conquest two years ago or so, and let me tell you. That was good!! from service to the food and all the little things. I have ALL the capers and the price list for the shore trips. any questions let me have em.

We would LOVE it if you posted the Capers and price list to Webshots (it is free!!!)

I know what you mean about having an "off" cruise". It can happen. We had a blast on the Victory in Sept....an "off" cruise on the Holiday in December and then a BLAST on our B2B on the Imagination.

We are headed Legends way in May and will have a good time. If it isn't one of our best cruises...that is ok...it will still be a CRUISE!!! :D

I did write a review,however i dont know when they will post it. The little things. The capers were very generic, on the conquest they were more personalized. the entertainment channel was not updated untill Friday and finally by saturday night it was fully up dated. we watched the comidean bit with three guys out of the croud for four days, over and over. The crew over all was a bit standoffish. The persers desk staff were very short with us and almost annoyed. The Food in the dining room was very disapointing. there was some good stuff. the cream of mushroom soup was awesome, my wife loved the black tiger shrimp. The duck was pretty good. The fillet was over cooked and dry, verry chewey. the chicken breast was over coked and dry and the prime rib was also under par. I would chalk it up to a bad weed. I was very happy on the conquest with the food. The food on the lido deck was good. but it was the same all week long. nothing changed. Our waitress in the main dining room told us that carnival dosnt pay them so she really counted on our tips. Never have I heard of this. And the time we asked for something extra, mushrooms for our steak. she told us it doesnt come that way. She never went the extra mile. I would recomend this cruise. the ship was beautiful, the ports were awesome. I guess I was expecting too much. and next time I go. It will be on the conquest. and for those of you going out on the legend. I ordered the cheese burger the last two nights. The best thing I had off the menue all week. But when I asked for swiss cheese, fried onions,bacon and mushrooms. I was told it dosnt come that way. and I didnt get it. PS sorry about the spelling.

I did write a review,however i dont know when they will post it. The little things. The capers were very generic, on the conquest they were more personalized. the entertainment channel was not updated untill Friday and finally by saturday night it was fully up dated. we watched the comidean bit with three guys out of the croud for four days, over and over. The crew over all was a bit standoffish. The persers desk staff were very short with us and almost annoyed. The Food in the dining room was very disapointing. there was some good stuff. the cream of mushroom soup was awesome, my wife loved the black tiger shrimp. The duck was pretty good. The fillet was over cooked and dry, verry chewey. the chicken breast was over coked and dry and the prime rib was also under par. I would chalk it up to a bad weed. I was very happy on the conquest with the food. The food on the lido deck was good. but it was the same all week long. nothing changed. Our waitress in the main dining room told us that carnival dosnt pay them so she really counted on our tips. Never have I heard of this. And the time we asked for something extra, mushrooms for our steak. she told us it doesnt come that way. She never went the extra mile. I would recomend this cruise. the ship was beautiful, the ports were awesome. I guess I was expecting too much. and next time I go. It will be on the conquest. and for those of you going out on the legend. I ordered the cheese burger the last two nights. The best thing I had off the menue all week. But when I asked for swiss cheese, fried onions,bacon and mushrooms. I was told it dosnt come that way. and I didnt get it. PS sorry about the spelling.

I don't think you were expecting too much...Legend seems to be one of the more popular ships for Carnival (At least going by what I have read here). The fact that the waitress even mentioned tips to you should be a red flag. I have read many time that the waiters and waitresses usually go the extra mile to satisfy (That seems to be the norm). Sometimes friendly service can make you forget that food the food miget be subpar.

I would suggest that if you cruised the Legend again in 6 months, your opinion might be different. Sometime, things just don't go right.

At least you didn't let this experience color your opinion of Carnival in General.

Good Luck with your future cruises.;)

You certainly have a good attitude about a somewhat bad cruise :) Our Liberty cruise was full of nasty, surly, overtired staff and the food was a major disappointment. Itinerary changed at last minute and wasn't what we had signed up for. Couple that with bad weather and there you go :( I realize it was just a "bad" week, and will sail Carnival again this summer, but, my family won't be sailing the Liberty again anytime soon. Only had one other bad cruise, no, awful cruise, and that's the reason we will never sail NCL again. We've also had many fabulous cruise vacations, mainly on Carnival. Just like any other vacation, some are great, some good, some a mistake LOL.

Me, my husband, daughter and young (1-2 yo) son went to Florida, drove all the way and all of us got sick with bronchitis when we got there. It was miserable, but we were all TOGETHER miserable and still had some fun! What I am saying is even though things don't turn out like you may have dreamed (and believe me, I am having a BLAST planning/dreaming about this cruise). You just make the most of it and move on to the next great vacation! I am about 9 to 9.5 out of 10 for great vacations. Can't complain!

Your disappointments are certainly legitimate. All I eat is beef and here lately the beef seems to be hit or miss on the Carnival ships. Now true most people would not notice because they probaby don't eat the same thing ship to ship and they haven't been on 8 Carnival cruises in the past 15 months...so it is just something that I notice. It does not ruin my cruise when the beef fare is lacking...but I do notice it.

I agree...it gets my "goat" with any kind of waitstaff brings up their pay. That is just unprofessional. But again, I have been hearing some horror stories of certain groups that all remove their tips at the end of a cruise because they can't afford it. The Fantasy had 1/3rd of the ship remove their tips (and it wasn't because of bad service) and it seems to be a growing problem.

You certainly were not expecting to much. Carnival is always wanting people to say they "exceed the expectations" of their cruisers and that is what they should do. It is very understanding of you to take it all in stride.

It is hard when you have an off week after a super cruise like we just had on the Imagination. The Legend will be hard pressed to beat it....but I am going to make sure they try!!! :D

...The Food in the dining room was very disapointing. there was some good stuff. the cream of mushroom soup was awesome, my wife loved the black tiger shrimp. The duck was pretty good. The fillet was over cooked and dry, verry chewey. the chicken breast was over coked and dry and the prime rib was also under par. I would chalk it up to a bad weed. I was very happy on the conquest with the food. The food on the lido deck was good. but it was the same all week long. nothing changed. Our waitress in the main dining room told us that carnival dosnt pay them so she really counted on our tips. Never have I heard of this. And the time we asked for something extra, mushrooms for our steak. she told us it doesnt come that way. She never went the extra mile...

Please believe I'm not disparaging your review or your experiance, but the actual typos cracked me up! :D So many drug references in one paragraph! I agree, if the weed had been better, I sure the food would have been, too. At least it would have tasted better to you.:eek: And coked out chicken - no wonder it was dry!:eek:

Thanks for letting me have fun with your typos - no slam intended. Also sorry your cruise wasn't up to your expectations. I hope your next one is all you could want.:D

I'm sorry you had disappointments. I agree, it's really unprofessional of the waitstaff to bring up anything about their pay. I've seen it happen before.

I would love to see your Capers too. What shore excursions did you take? And how did you like your cabin?

We are looking at the legend for next Jan - so I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the ship and ports. Sorry the rest wasn't what you expected. We have never had a crew member complain about their pay - and maybe we have been lucky that we have almost always had crew willing to go the extra mile.

Payd:)

We are looking at the legend for next Jan - so I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the ship and ports. Sorry the rest wasn't what you expected. We have never had a crew member complain about their pay - and maybe we have been lucky that we have almost always had crew willing to go the extra mile.

Let me first say that this was our first cruise so I do not have another cruise to compare it to. We have, however, been on very nice vacations and are experienced travelers. Additionally, I am not an active poster on here but have been reading the board for years.

My husband and I were on the same cruise as the original poster and we do not share his negative experience.

We loved every single second on that ship! As far as the food, it was not all wonderful, but parts of it were amazingly good! The night we had the filet my husband's medium rare cut was not nearly as good as mine. We each also had filet in the supper club and it was terrific as well. The fruit as well as salad bar were filled with beautiful fresh and cut fruit. The last night's beef (I cannot recall the name) was extremely juicy and perfectly cooked medium rare.

The food on the Lido Deck the original poster talks about was, I assume, the grilled food which was grilled chicken sandwiches, hotdogs or hamburgers/cheeseburgers. I have no problem with them serving that as it was out by the pool! The food at the indoor food stations varied daily with different "nationalities" featured on different days in some of them but in some of the stations the menu was the same: pizza station; salad bar (but with different side salads); deli. Pizza was good, salad bar was great as already stated, cheeseburgers were good.

While the food was not 100% spectacular all of the time, it was just fiine for us and we thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience. We realize that 10,000 meals a day is a lot and if we were going on a crusie specifically for gourmet food, we would have chosen the cruiseline accordingly.

The supper club was incredible, we thought!

We found all of the waiters to be very accommodating, polite and professional, without a mention of their pay/tips.

We also found the purser's desk VERY helpful. For example, our airline LOST our luggage and we did not get our luggage for two days (we got it on the first stop, Grand Cayman). As soon as we talked with the purser desk we were confident that they were going to handle getting our luggage to us as soon as possible, and they followed up with a letter delivered to our cabin as well as a phone call. We had our luggage early in the morning after anchoring and were very happy about that!

As stated, we are first-time cruisers, and therefore relied on the Capers for our information. We got everything we needed from either the Capers or by asking someone, but mainly relied on the Capers because it seemed very throrough and jam-packed with info.

We felt the crew we dealt with seemed genuinely happy to be of service to us, and we also let them know how much we appreciated their service.

The aft pool was monitored and we noticed that the parents who brought their children there were politely informed that it was the adults only area. (The Capers also mentioned this rule).

Only complaint with our room was that the TV remote didn't work very well but it was fixed for us.

We talked to people on the cruise who were experienced as well as inexperienced cruisers. One man was on his 30th-plus cruise and thought the food was better than Royal Carribbean. He had not sailed Carnival since 1991 but tried them again, and was happy he did so he will be back.

Everyone has their own tastes and opinions and I appreciate reading the original poster's opinions and comparing with my own.

PS....we did not book our excursions through the ship but did them on our own and were VERY happy with our choices!

Forgot to add that we enjoyed the shows we saw: two of the adult comedians, a man who balanced things - Lubo was his name I think (really entertaining and amazing to see!) and Take II show that was fast-moving and entertaining singing and dancing.

Archived