Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

We are now up to 4 different HOHO services in Vancouver...if all operate this year. However there is no question in my mind that the Vancouver Trolley is the superior product, they were the pioneer in the business, operate year round and are the only one with live narration. As far as saving credit card charges by buying online, my experience with B of A when accidentally using my American credit card to purchase something online or by phone is that they levy the foreign transaction fee and the exchange rate to the purchase.

When they pay their fare at a ticket vending machine (TVM) beit by cash, credit card, or debit card, they will receive a ticket that will serve as their transfer and is good for 90 minutes from the time of purchase.

Great, thanks so much!!!! I am a detail person and find you don't waste precious time if you figure everything out ahead of time. They are still thinking about trying Priceline, but at least they have a hotel booked for now.

Would you say four weeks out is a good time to begin bidding on Priceline? I am not seeing many wins posted on betterbidding or bidding for travel. Most of the wins showing are for spring.

Great, thanks so much!!!! I am a detail person and find you don't waste precious time if you figure everything out ahead of time. They are still thinking about trying Priceline, but at least they have a hotel booked for now.

Would you say four weeks out is a good time to begin bidding on Priceline? I am not seeing many wins posted on betterbidding or bidding for travel. Most of the wins showing are for spring.

I think they are working a good plan with the reservation in hand then continuing to bid on Priceline....I have got deals in Vancouver anywhere from 90 days to 7 days out, I don't think there is any real method here. I would also be watching Hotwire, there are often better deals there then Priceline.

Can any one tell me how far the walk is from the skytrain station to the Marriot . which stop do I get off, are there stairs to walk up or down, Would I be walking up hill. Will be handling luggage, or am I better off just to take a cab

I plan to purchase a fair saver book, and use the tickets to go to Stanley Park, and maybe to the Cap... suspension bridge.

Going to Stanley Park. I understand I take the Pender street bus, where do I get off to catch the horse and buggy ride through the park,,

Can any one tell me how far the walk is from the skytrain station to the Marriot . which stop do I get off, are there stairs to walk up or down, Would I be walking up hill. Will be handling luggage, or am I better off just to take a cab

I plan to purchase a fair saver book, and use the tickets to go to Stanley Park, and maybe to the Cap... suspension bridge.

Going to Stanley Park. I understand I take the Pender street bus, where do I get off to catch the horse and buggy ride through the park,,

If your are staying at the Marriott Pinnacle you will get off at the Waterfront Station and your walk will be about 5 blocks, all level. If you are staying at the Marriott Residences you would get off at the Vancouver Centre station and you walk will be about 7 blocks, pretty level. Both stations have elevators. The Pender St. bus (#19) will get you to and from Stanley Park and I have attached a link to a map showing where the bus loop is relative to carriage ride.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?ie=UTF-8&q=marriott+pinnacle&fb=1&gl=ca&hq=marriott+pinnacle&hnear=0x54867599f4ef4d3d:0x6a5024adba02fab5,Richmond,+BC&cid=0,0,3929802461535803800&ei=Uxl8UauADYSnigLRz4HgAg&ved=0CKwBEPwSMAA

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=marriott+residences+vancouver&fb=1&gl=ca&hq=marriott+residences+vancouver&cid=0,0,4038539022237804129&ei=-xl8UY62OuKnigKnz4DwCg&sqi=2&ved=0CMIBEPwSMAA

http://www.stanleypark.com/map.html

I have a question about the two day passes. How long is day two good for? My DD and SIL would possibly needing a one day pass for June 11 and again for June 19. I tried browsing the website, but didn't see the info.

For Vancouver Trolley under the FAQ section, I found this:

"How long is my ticket valid?

There are two types of tickets: a single day pass and a two day pass. The two day passes may be used on any two days within a two week period. *Please note that if you purchase your ticket online, you receive the second day for FREE. Tickets are valid for 1 year from day of purchase."

For Vancouver Trolley under the FAQ section, I found this:

"How long is my ticket valid?

There are two types of tickets: a single day pass and a two day pass. The two day passes may be used on any two days within a two week period. *Please note that if you purchase your ticket online, you receive the second day for FREE. Tickets are valid for 1 year from day of purchase."

Great....Thank You....

Edited by vbmom87

Is tipping in Canada customary like it is in the US with regards to hotel staff, taxi drivers and restaurant wait staff?

Thanks.

Yes - tip the same people the same amount that you would in the US.

Unless you're a cheapskate, in which case tip them more:D

And just in case you were about to ask, as people frequently do, US dollar tips will be accepted gracefully (at least in places close to the US border like Vancouver), but like anywhere it's always nicer to get some local currency for tipping with.

Yes - tip the same people the same amount that you would in the US.

Unless you're a cheapskate, in which case tip them more:D

And just in case you were about to ask, as people frequently do, US dollar tips will be accepted gracefully (at least in places close to the US border like Vancouver), but like anywhere it's always nicer to get some local currency for tipping with.

Thanks.. I think I can rustle up some of the Canadian variety before our trip..

Thanks.. I think I can rustle up some of the Canadian variety before our trip..

Unless you really want to go to the trouble, frankly I wouldn't bother. The US$ is widely accepted in accepted in Vancouver & Victoria in the hospitality business....in fact the Canadian Post Office and our Provincial Government liquor stores accept it. From experience (albeit a half century ago) no hospitality worker is going to be slighted over receiving a tip in $US.

Unless you really want to go to the trouble, frankly I wouldn't bother. The US$ is widely accepted in accepted in Vancouver & Victoria in the hospitality business....in fact the Canadian Post Office and our Provincial Government liquor stores accept it. From experience (albeit a half century ago) no hospitality worker is going to be slighted over receiving a tip in $US.

We're only about 60 miles south of the border.

I'm sure with all our neighbors from the north coming down to shop at the outlet mall our bank will probably have plenty.. If they don't I won't worry about it..

We're only about 60 miles south of the border.

I'm sure with all our neighbors from the north coming down to shop at the outlet mall our bank will probably have plenty.. If they don't I won't worry about it..

I live about 20 miles from the Windsor, Ontario border and years ago we could go into any bank and pick up Canadian money. Now, we have to order it.

I live about 20 miles from the Windsor, Ontario border and years ago we could go into any bank and pick up Canadian money. Now, we have to order it.

Interesting how that's different vs here in Canada. I can go into any (even small branches) and get US$, GBP, Euro and Yen. Most also have Mexican peso. Anything else is at most a 2 day order.

DH and I will be in Vancouver for 2 days in July before our cruise. We land on a Wednesday at 1:30pm. We plan to take a cab to our hotel downtown and drop off luggage. Capilano Suspension Bridge has posted their summer hours, and it appears that they are open until 8 pm. We plan to take the shuttle from Canada Place to CSB. It looks like the last shuttle leaves at 4, so I think we'll have time to catch it. (Please let me know if I'm wrong!) Assuming we arrive there about 4:30, we plan to spend a few hours exploring.

Questions for the experts: Are there any good places to eat within CSB or in walking distance? Also, are there cabs available to take back to the city that evening? How much would a cab cost? I know we can catch a bus/seabus back, but we're from Texas and DH is a little daunted by public transit maps and schedules. I think he'd be more comfortable planning to take a taxi if they are readily available.

This thread has been immensely helpful in planning our trip -- thanks to all those who contribute!

Questions for the experts: Are there any good places to eat within CSB or in walking distance? Also, are there cabs available to take back to the city that evening? How much would a cab cost? I know we can catch a bus/seabus back, but we're from Texas and DH is a little daunted by public transit maps and schedules. I think he'd be more comfortable planning to take a taxi if they are readily available.

This thread has been immensely helpful in planning our trip -- thanks to all those who contribute!

The last CSB shuttle leaves Canada Place at 3pm and leaves from the bridge at 4:30pm. At cab ride back to Canada Place will be in the range of $35 dollars depending upon traffic volumes when you return....the bridge people will be happy to phone a cab for you.

There are only two restaurants that I can recommend anywhere near the bridge and both are likely further than you would care to walk...they would be the Capilano Canyon Chinese restaurant about 2 km to the north and Earl's which is on Marine Dr. about 2.5 kms to the south. What you may care to do is take a cab from the bridge to Lonsdale Quay around which there are a number of restaurants and after dinner simply take the SeaBus across the harbour to Waterfront Station which is just a couple of blocks from Canada Place. If you find this idea appealing then I can provide you with some names of restaurants.

but we're from Texas and DH is a little daunted by public transit maps and schedules. I think he'd be more comfortable planning to take a taxi if they are readily available.

There's not too much to be scared about. The bus leaves from right in front of Cap suspension bridge and heads to a place (end of the line) called Lonsdale Quay. From there, the same ticket will get you on the seabus across the harbour. Total cost $4 (2.75 if you leave after 6:15ish)

Dinner around Lonsdale Quay sounds excellent. Hopefully I can talk DH into hopping a bus there. If not, we will get a taxi. The seabus ride back to Waterfront Station would put us near our hotel. Thanks!

Two observations re the bus, prior to 6:15pm the bus runs every 15 minutes and after that is every half hour and your transfer will only be good for 90 minutes.

A sampling of restaurants around Lonsdale Quay include:

The District http://www.thedistrictsocial.com/

East Side Marios http://www.eastsidemarios.com/?lang=EN&store=457#/

Fishworks http://www.fishworks.ca/

Pier 7 http://pierseven.ca/

Gusto di Quatro http://www.quattrorestaurants.com/gindex.html

Okay, I was gonna try to blame this one on my wife but I'll own up to it..:o

I'm addicted to Coffee Crisps. There, I said it.

Is there anywhere close to Canada Place, or between the Westin Bayshore and Coast restaurant on Alberni St. that I can buy them by the box?

We're eating dinner at the Coast restaurant and will be walking back to the Westin so if there is anyplace not too far out of the way I'll be very happy.. :D

Okay, I was gonna try to blame this one on my wife but I'll own up to it..:o

I'm addicted to Coffee Crisps. There, I said it.

Is there anywhere close to Canada Place, or between the Westin Bayshore and Coast restaurant on Alberni St. that I can buy them by the box?

We're eating dinner at the Coast restaurant and will be walking back to the Westin so if there is anyplace not too far out of the way I'll be very happy.. :D

I had never heard of these before, so I did a search. Amazon.com 3rd party sellers have them. Don't know if this is a good price or not, but thought you might like to have the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Canada-Coffee-Crisp-Chocolate-Count/dp/B000F742SY/ref=sr_1_2?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1367632144&sr=1-2&keywords=Canada+Coffee+Crisp

Thank you both..

Never thought of Amazon..

One of the nurses my wife works with lives in Surrey I think, and she brings down a few now and again to keep me from any withdrawal symptoms..

A word of advise.. Don't try them if you haven't already.. :D

Thank you both..

Never thought of Amazon..

One of the nurses my wife works with lives in Surrey I think, and she brings down a few now and again to keep me from any withdrawal symptoms..

A word of advise.. Don't try them if you haven't already.. :D

I can't do caffeine, so won't have to worry about trying them. I see you are in WA. I grew up there and LOVE Mountain Bars. After I married and moved away, my parents would bring us a box of them whenever they visited. Recently a local store here starting carrying them. So once in a while we go in and I get a bar. So good and great memories of home go with it.

If you buy from amazon 3rd party, just be sure to check their ratings/feedback. I have purchased numerous things over the years this way and some at really great savings.