Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Putterdude, bit confused on the last post you gave me, I was all set to buy a Fair Saver Book at the the 7,11 at the airport. But you are telling me I should get something else. Our plans are to take the sky train and walk to the Marriot on Hastings. The next day we plan to go to Grouse Mountain Tram. if the weather permits. plan on walking to the seabus on the waterfront and take the 136 bus to grouse mountain. and the reverse, Maybe going to the Cap Supension Bridge. hoping I can figure out how to get there from Grouse Mountain. On Friday before we board the Radiance we plan to get the Pender street bus and go to Stanley park, and take the Horse Carriage through the park. Plan to Board the Radiance around 1 30 or 2pm Hoping the Marriot will hold our luggage , or give us a late check out. will probably walk to the cruise terminal,,, if its too much we will just take a cab. If we don't do the Grouse Mountain Tram because of weather will probable go to Grandville Island and check out the Market there. Or.

if possible will go to the market before we go to the Grouse Mountain Tram.

So back to my question, what do I buy at the 7 11, remember we are both seniors.

If our ship leaves Canada Place 6PM what time do you think we will go by your place, would love to give you a wave. you have been so helpful Thanks again.

Edited by sanjim

Whoever recommended the Coast Restaurant, thank you. What a great meal.

On the way back to the Bayshore we stopped at Safeway and got plenty of Coffee Crisps to last us awhile.. :D

Thank you to the regulars who post here and give great information about your beautiful city..

Ken

Putterdude, bit confused on the last post you gave me, I was all set to buy a Fair Saver Book at the the 7,11 at the airport. But you are telling me I should get something else. Our plans are to take the sky train and walk to the Marriot on Hastings. The next day we plan to go to Grouse Mountain Tram. if the weather permits. plan on walking to the seabus on the waterfront and take the 136 bus to grouse mountain. and the reverse, Maybe going to the Cap Supension Bridge. hoping I can figure out how to get there from Grouse Mountain. On Friday before we board the Radiance we plan to get the Pender street bus and go to Stanley park, and take the Horse Carriage through the park. Plan to Board the Radiance around 1 30 or 2pm Hoping the Marriot will hold our luggage , or give us a late check out. will probably walk to the cruise terminal,,, if its too much we will just take a cab. If we don't do the Grouse Mountain Tram because of weather will probable go to Grandville Island and check out the Market there. Or.

So back to my question, what do I buy at the 7 11, remember we are both seniors.

If our ship leaves Canada Place 6PM what time do you think we will go by your place, would love to give you a wave. you have been so helpful Thanks again.

As the 7/11 or Pharmasave in the airport (the 7-11 is located one level BELOW domestic luggage). From Intl arrivals, it's easier to go onto the street, turn right, walk about 100 metres (yards) and turn right back into the airport. Buy a book of 'concession' (seniors/students) fare savers. The concession ones are only available as one-zone tickets so you need to buy a $1 addfare on the platform (to take it to two zones) assuming you're travelling during the week (it's all one zone after 6:30pm or weekends).

As for Grouse Mountain, take Seabus from Waterfront to Lonsdale Quay, and then the #236 (not 136) bus which goes up to both Capilano and then on to Grouse Mt. Again the comment, it's 2 zones from downtown to the north shore, so again you'll need add-fares. If you have any other questions, let me know as I travel Sky Train and other parts of Vancouver's transit system daily.

This map will probably help you get your bearings, showing the Skytrain system (which is the name given to all ofthe light rail lines in Vancouver), and the bus to Capilano/Grouse.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212770407613531027445.000467645fcda21dd87b2&msa=0&ll=49.301173,-123.099747&spn=0.093356,0.161877

Sorry if I confused you. No the Concession Fare Saver booklet is the one you want and it is available at both the 7-11 and Pharmasave in the domestic section of the YVR terminal. However to travel beyond 1 zone i.e. YVR to Downtown or Downtown to the Capilano Suspension Bridge or Grouse Mtn. then you must use one of the tickets for each person and add $1.25 each (not $1). I am hoping that you know that CSB offers a free shuttle from/to a number of downtown locations. To get to from Grouse Mtn. to the CSB you can take either the #232 bus or the #236 bus, however to go from either to Lonsdale Quay and the SeaBus then you need to take the #236 bus.

While I lived within minutes of both the CSB and Grouse Mtn. for more than 50 years, I now live about 1 hour after you pass under the Lions Gate Bridge on the starboard....I will be watching for your wave.

one more question, (I think) From the map that Scottbee sent, it looks like I can get off the sky train at the Hastings and Granville waterfront exit, to get to the Marriott on Hastings Is this right,

I'm looking for recommendations for a quick bite to eat on our first night in Vancouver.

Assuming our flight is on time and we clear immigration quickly, I think we'll be at our hotel (Metropolitan) at about 2pm. However, with the time difference, it'll feel like 10pm to us, and given that we'll have been up since 5am, I don't fancy walking very far to find a meal. I know that if we're desperate, we could probably just hit the food court at the Pacific Center Mall, but I'm hoping that someone can recommend something better than that nearby.

Not after anything too fancy, as in our sleepy state, a top-end meal will be wasted on us - just a place where we can get a burger or a pizza or something simple like that. I don't have a problem going to a chain restaurant either if you want to recommend one of those, given that apart from McDonalds and Subway, we don't get most of the US/Canada chains over here, so anything is different for us!

...However to travel beyond 1 zone i.e. YVR to Downtown or Downtown to the Capilano Suspension Bridge or Grouse Mtn. then you must use one of the tickets for each person and add $1.25 each (not $1)...

Actually SB is right PD - the Addfare is reduced to $1 for Concession tickets, $1.25 only applies to regular full-price fares...

one more question, (I think) From the map that Scottbee sent, it looks like I can get off the sky train at the Hastings and Granville waterfront exit, to get to the Marriott on Hastings Is this right,

Yes. The exit (stairs/elevator/escalator) is right on the platform (don't go down the long tunnel), and labeled "WAY OUT - GRANVILLE STREET". I ride Skytrain and Vancouver's transit system every day, so if you have any questions, please ask.

We just booked a quick repositioning cruise that will be arriving in Vancouver on Wednesday, May 22nd. Unfortunately, we must return home on that day, but our flight does not depart from YVR until 6:00 pm.

Any tour or airport transportation arranged by the cruise line would arrive at the airport many hours before our flight, which is okay, but if anyone has any recommendations for private tours or transportation that are available near the port, it would be greatly appreciated!

It looks like the weather will not be too good, but Vancouver is such a lovely city.

Actually SB is right PD - the Addfare is reduced to $1 for Concession tickets, $1.25 only applies to regular full-price fares...

You are correct, in my earlier post I had said $1 then couldn't find that last night in small print at the bottom of the page and assumed it was part of the fare increases that kicked in on Jan 1st. and I had erred in the first place.

Hi: We will be staying at the Georgian Court Hotel (772 Beatty St) the night before our cruise...What would be the nearest and most convenient Skytrain station to that hotel? We will be coming from the airport...Thanks a lot...

Steve

I'm looking for recommendations for a quick bite to eat on our first night in Vancouver.

Assuming our flight is on time and we clear immigration quickly, I think we'll be at our hotel (Metropolitan) at about 2pm. However, with the time difference, it'll feel like 10pm to us, and given that we'll have been up since 5am, I don't fancy walking very far to find a meal. I know that if we're desperate, we could probably just hit the food court at the Pacific Center Mall, but I'm hoping that someone can recommend something better than that nearby.

Not after anything too fancy, as in our sleepy state, a top-end meal will be wasted on us - just a place where we can get a burger or a pizza or something simple like that. I don't have a problem going to a chain restaurant either if you want to recommend one of those, given that apart from McDonalds and Subway, we don't get most of the US/Canada chains over here, so anything is different for us!

Soozies 1 block about a block and a half from the hotel on Howe St. might serve your purposes. http://www.scoozis.ca/index.html or the Tim Horton's which is just around the corner from you at 605 Dunsmuir St.

Assuming our flight is on time and we clear immigration quickly, I think we'll be at our hotel (Metropolitan) at about 2pm. However, with the time difference, it'll feel like 10pm to us, and given that we'll have been up since 5am, I don't fancy walking very far to find a meal. I know that if we're desperate, we could probably just hit the food court at the Pacific Center Mall, but I'm hoping that someone can recommend something better than that nearby...

For simple fare like that, you might as well just hit the food court in the Pacific Centre - there's an A&W burger joint inside, and you'll find their items a step up from the usual McD affair (especially if the 'Granny' Angus Burger is still available). They're also the only folks who offer diet root beer, in nice big steins if you sit in to eat rather than take away.

There's also a Tim Hortons to caffeinate yourself so you can stay up as late as possible - we're not long back from a UK trip, very experienced at dealing with the 8 hour time diff adaptation, and the best thing you can do is force yourself to eat again at c. 6pm local time then stay awake until 9 or 10pm. If you can synch your eating and sleeping to reasonable local approximations the day your arrive, you will feel almost normal again within a couple of days - if you hit the sack too early that first day, you'll be wooly-headed much longer...

As to dinner, Diva (inside your hotel) serves some the best soup I've ever had in a restaurant - so even though it's a pretty fancy joint, you can sit at the kitchen 'bar' and just get some soup and salad without having to go anywhere at all. I do suggest after lunch that you get out a little though, sun exposure helps reset the body clock - have a wander down to the waterfront and maybe hit Moose's Down Under or The Butcher & Bullock which are both a block away from your hotel by Pender & Howe.

It looks like the weather will not be too good, but Vancouver is such a lovely city.

Don't count on the weather forecast today for the 22nd. The weather changes fast and we may have 4 different outlooks between now and then. Enjoy your cruise!!

Hi: We will be staying at the Georgian Court Hotel (772 Beatty St) the night before our cruise...What would be the nearest and most convenient Skytrain station to that hotel? We will be coming from the airport...Thanks a lot...

Steve

It would be Vancouver Centre Station from which you will have about a 7 block walk. Come out of Vancouver Centre Station walk a have block north toward the mountains, turn right and walk easterly to Beatty St. then turn right and the hotel is mid block.

Steve

Two different answers... Stadium-Chinatown is nearest, but City Centre is most convenient IMO for the Canada Line (no need to transfer, and it's downhill along West Georgia Street to your hotel - even if you're pulling bags it'll be faster than changing lines). Here's a quick comparison of the routes on foot - a cab will be under $10 if you're feeling lazy or the weather sucks.

Just down the street at the corner or Howe and Pender is Sciue. There is also Moose's Down Under on Pender below street level. A standard go-to place for many that I work with, including myself.

Edited by Tweedy

We just booked a quick repositioning cruise that will be arriving in Vancouver on Wednesday, May 22nd. Unfortunately, we must return home on that day, but our flight does not depart from YVR until 6:00 pm.

Any tour or airport transportation arranged by the cruise line would arrive at the airport many hours before our flight, which is okay, but if anyone has any recommendations for private tours or transportation that are available near the port, it would be greatly appreciated!

These people are now offering a couple of tours that picks up at Canada Place and delivers you to the airport. http://www.vancouvertours.com/ They have been in business for a number of years and considered excellent operators.

For simple fare like that, you might as well just hit the food court in the Pacific Centre - there's an A&W burger joint inside, and you'll find their items a step up from the usual McD affair (especially if the 'Granny' Angus Burger is still available). They're also the only folks who offer diet root beer, in nice big steins if you sit in to eat rather than take away.

There's also a Tim Hortons to caffeinate yourself so you can stay up as late as possible - we're not long back from a UK trip, very experienced at dealing with the 8 hour time diff adaptation, and the best thing you can do is force yourself to eat again at c. 6pm local time then stay awake until 9 or 10pm. If you can synch your eating and sleeping to reasonable local approximations the day your arrive, you will feel almost normal again within a couple of days - if you hit the sack too early that first day, you'll be wooly-headed much longer...

As to dinner, Diva (inside your hotel) serves some the best soup I've ever had in a restaurant - so even though it's a pretty fancy joint, you can sit at the kitchen 'bar' and just get some soup and salad without having to go anywhere at all. I do suggest after lunch that you get out a little though, sun exposure helps reset the body clock - have a wander down to the waterfront and maybe hit Moose's Down Under or The Butcher & Bullock which are both a block away from your hotel by Pender & Howe.

Thanks guys - all of your recommendations so far sound great (not just Martincath's, I just chose to quote that one) with the Moose Down Under probably leading the pack having looked at the menus.

Based on previous trips to the west coast, I think 9-10pm is a step too far for us! Normally I manage to get to about 7pm and by then I'm in the hotel room with the TV on as loud as possible, fighting to keep my eyes open and miserably failing...

Fortunately, I like waking up early on my second day as I can get a lot done in terms of unpacking/re-packing (just two days in Vancouver before the cruise) and by the end of the third day, my body clock is normally on local time or thereabouts.

Edited by Canard

Thanks guys - all of your recommendations so far sound great (not just Martincath's, I just chose to quote that one) with the Moose Down Under probably leading the pack having looked at the menus.

Based on previous trips to the west coast, I think 9-10pm is a step too far for us! Normally I manage to get to about 7pm and by then I'm in the hotel room with the TV on as loud as possible, fighting to keep my eyes open and miserably failing...

Fortunately, I like waking up early on my second day as I can get a lot done in terms of unpacking/re-packing (just two days in Vancouver before the cruise) and by the end of the third day, my body clock is normally on local time or thereabouts.

We only had a three hour time zone difference, but did have to wake up much earlier than our norm. We had a late lunch early dinner around 3:30 p.m. in Vancouver. Two of our group of five went for a walk, the others returned to your B&B. We were all in bed by 7:00 p.m. local time. We slept until 7:00 a.m. and our body clocks were well adjusted the next day.

There was a recommendation for Tim Horton's for coffee, but if you want to spoil yourself, I would recommend visiting Caffe Artigiano (corner of W.Hastings/Howe is closest to cruise terminal).

Moose's is a great place for well prepared food (love the soup and salad, it's HUGE), only word to the wise, they're not open Sat/Sun mornings.

Don't count on the weather forecast today for the 22nd. The weather changes fast and we may have 4 different outlooks between now and then. Enjoy your cruise!!

Woohoo! Thank you for the words of encouragement! I will enjoy the cruise and Vancouver, no matter what the weather. The last two times I passed through were in June and the weather was gorgeous, but I have spent time there in February and loved every minute!

Can someone confirm that you don't need reservations at Canada Place for parking> I know I read it somewhere, but can't find it now. Thanks a bunch. Just making sure I have my facts correct.

Can someone confirm that you don't need reservations at Canada Place for parking> I know I read it somewhere, but can't find it now. Thanks a bunch. Just making sure I have my facts correct.

It is not absolutely critical but recommended; there is a finite number of space in the car-park and a reservation reduces your daily rate from $32 to $23....if it were me I would make a reservation. http://www.vinciparkcanadaplace.ca/index.html