Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

We are sailing our of Vancouver (Canada Place) in June, and it appears we will need to rent a wheelchair or mobility scooter on this trip. I seem to remember seeing a place set up near where we checked in doing this type of business, delivering the item to the cruiser at that point.

Can anyone tell me if there is a business like this still there, and if so, what their name is?

Thanks so much!

You will find that the cruise ships will organize this for you as well, however as DW travels with her own wheelchair on cruises, I have no idea how competitive the cruise lines vendor is.

I have booked my hotel for before the cruise, but am looking for one near the airport for our disembarking day (avoiding the red-eye back to Ontario). Need something with available food (nothing fancy) and a shuttle to the airport. WiFi would be awesome after a week with none. ;) Oh, and an earlier check in would be handy, since we'll be getting off the ship and heading straight to the hotel. $40 taxi ride, right? Any recommendations? While $$ isn't going to be the determining factor, it is thrown in there. :D Thanks for any and all suggestions.

I have booked my hotel for before the cruise, but am looking for one near the airport for our disembarking day (avoiding the red-eye back to Ontario). Need something with available food (nothing fancy) and a shuttle to the airport. WiFi would be awesome after a week with none. ;) Oh, and an earlier check in would be handy, since we'll be getting off the ship and heading straight to the hotel. $40 taxi ride, right? Any recommendations? While $$ isn't going to be the determining factor, it is thrown in there. :D Thanks for any and all suggestions.

I have had a very good experience in recent months at both the Delta Airport and the Weston at Wall Centre. Both have a free shuttle to YVR and both have restaurants. The Weston is a couple of blocks from the Rain Flower Chinese restaurant, which is excellent, and the Pantry Family restaurant...but I would be inclined to take a cab or ask if the shuttle would take you over and pick you up. $35 to $40 should cover your cab fare from Canada Place. The Delta I did by phoning them and the Weston I picked up on Hotwire.

I have had a very good experience in recent months at both the Delta Airport and the Weston at Wall Centre. Both have a free shuttle to YVR and both have restaurants. The Weston is a couple of blocks from the Rain Flower Chinese restaurant, which is excellent, and the Pantry Family restaurant...but I would be inclined to take a cab or ask if the shuttle would take you over and pick you up. $35 to $40 should cover your cab fare from Canada Place. The Delta I did by phoning them and the Weston I picked up on Hotwire.
Thank you. DH LOVES Chinese, so he'd love that. Lots of time to consider all things. :)

I have read through much of this thread, however it is quite large and I can no longer find the "search this thread feature".. So sorry in advance if information has been requested about the hotel I am going to ask about.

We are looking at the St. Regis downtown, I have looked at reviews on trip advisor, however would appreciate an opinion from a local as well as nearby restaurants. Also is Capillano shuttle easy to catch from the area or at least within walking distance?

Thanks!

We will be in your beautiful city in July.

... We are looking at the St. Regis downtown, I have looked at reviews on trip advisor, however would appreciate an opinion from a local as well as nearby restaurants. Also is Capillano shuttle easy to catch from the area or at least within walking distance? ...

While I can't comment on the quality of the hotel itself, the location is very central - walking distance to most downtown sights, many restaurants at varying price points within a few blocks, next door to Skytrain and a block away from the 19 bus stop for Stanley Park, a liquor store and a large pharmacy to stock up on any items required for the cruise.

Restaurants within 5 minutes walk include: cheap pub grub at Malone's and the Railway Club (also a popular venue for live music); Yew, Diva & Hawksworth for more high falutin' cuisine; GoGo for cheap & cheerful Thai; Bay Cafe for passable sushi; and you're basically on top of Gotham, one of the fanciest steakhouses in town.

The Capilano shuttle stop nearest you is at the Hyatt - 500 metres away.

We are looking at the St. Regis downtown, I have looked at reviews on trip advisor, however would appreciate an opinion from a local as well as nearby restaurants. Also is Capillano shuttle easy to catch from the area or at least within walking distance?

As pointed out in the previous post, the St. Regis is close to almost everything. The concern that I have about it is that for the past decade or more a popular real estate play in Vancouver has been to purchase an old run down hotel and redo it. I have some knowledge of this as I was involved in a similar situation and quite frankly when you get into the project often situations arise where budgets get compromised and perhaps some things just can't be undated to current standards. The St. Regis is one of those redos, it seems to be one of the better ones but if for instance the HVAC doesn't work well in July it could be an uncomfortable stay. You may care to look at something like the Delta Suite & Hotel which is only a couple of blocks away.

If you do decide to stay with the St. Regis than the Capilano express is about 3 blocks away at the Hyatt Regency hotel....which would be another very good option. From the St. Regis you are about 3.5 blocks to Scoozis which has long been a popular place for breakfast and lunch. http://www.scoozis.ca/

Wow long thread. I wish the search function was still here. This thread is way to long for me to read it all. Anyway I am looking at doing an Alaskan cruise departing from Vancouver. I want to take the Amtrak from Vancouver Washington to Vancouver BC. Looking at their on-time rates I am a little afraid to take the train the same day. Has anyone had problems making their sailing due to Amtrak running late. If that is too big a risk looking for recommendations for a hotel close to train station/port in Vancouver BC.

Thanks

Wow long thread. I wish the search function was still here. This thread is way to long for me to read it all. Anyway I am looking at doing an Alaskan cruise departing from Vancouver. I want to take the Amtrak from Vancouver Washington to Vancouver BC. Looking at their on-time rates I am a little afraid to take the train the same day. Has anyone had problems making their sailing due to Amtrak running late. If that is too big a risk looking for recommendations for a hotel close to train station/port in Vancouver BC.

Thanks

I have never heard of the train being much more then minutes off sked during the summer. If there was a problem I am certain that they would back it up with buses. From the train station to the Canada Place cruise terminal you are about 7.5 minutes so you have lots of wiggle room, people arrive by train on the day of cruise all season long. I hope this assuages your concerns.:)

Thanks

You can't arrive same day on the train from anywhere south of Seattle - the only train that runs from PDX all the way north to Vancouver BC is the afternoon one (516 Cascades), arriving 10:50pm.

There are other partial runs that connect to a bus in Seattle - the 500 and 506 Cascades - but they just get you to Vancouver BC at a more civilized time of the day (5:15pm or 8:15pm).

We have an apartment in Portland OR and it's a constant annoyance that we can't get an earlier train back to Vancouver - Bolt & Greyhound are just as comfy as the buses Amtrak use and a fraction of the price so we always end up on the 516 when we use Amtrak.

If you want to use Amtrak you need to arrive day before the cruise. I wouldn't recommend any of the hotels close to Pacific Central Station here - you may as well book somewhere downtown that you can walk to the pier next day from. Plenty advice on hotels just by scrolling back through a few pages even if the search function remains down.

While I can't comment on the quality of the hotel itself, the location is very central - walking distance to most downtown sights, many restaurants at varying price points within a few blocks, next door to Skytrain and a block away from the 19 bus stop for Stanley Park, a liquor store and a large pharmacy to stock up on any items required for the cruise.

Restaurants within 5 minutes walk include: cheap pub grub at Malone's and the Railway Club (also a popular venue for live music); Yew, Diva & Hawksworth for more high falutin' cuisine; GoGo for cheap & cheerful Thai; Bay Cafe for passable sushi; and you're basically on top of Gotham, one of the fanciest steakhouses in town.

The Capilano shuttle stop nearest you is at the Hyatt - 500 metres away.

As pointed out in the previous post, the St. Regis is close to almost everything. The concern that I have about it is that for the past decade or more a popular real estate play in Vancouver has been to purchase an old run down hotel and redo it. I have some knowledge of this as I was involved in a similar situation and quite frankly when you get into the project often situations arise where budgets get compromised and perhaps some things just can't be undated to current standards. The St. Regis is one of those redos, it seems to be one of the better ones but if for instance the HVAC doesn't work well in July it could be an uncomfortable stay. You may care to look at something like the Delta Suite & Hotel which is only a couple of blocks away.

If you do decide to stay with the St. Regis than the Capilano express is about 3 blocks away at the Hyatt Regency hotel....which would be another very good option. From the St. Regis you are about 3.5 blocks to Scoozis which has long been a popular place for breakfast and lunch. http://www.scoozis.ca/

Thank you both for your knowledge and advice. I truly appreciate it and will be printing off to help me upon arrival. Will check out the Delta and also the Hyatt to see availability as well as cost. Everyone is so helpful!!!!

AGAIN THANKS!!!!

Thank you for taking the time to keep this thread alive and offer friendly advice.

We are arriving on May 30 (Friday) for an overnight before our Alaska cruise. We are looking for recommendations for a modest downtown hotel. No frills is okay since we will be exhausted and just want a comfortable place to shake off the pre-cruise jitters and get some sleep. We will probably take the Sky train from the airport.

Thank you for taking the time to keep this thread alive and offer friendly advice.

We are arriving on May 30 (Friday) for an overnight before our Alaska cruise. We are looking for recommendations for a modest downtown hotel. No frills is okay since we will be exhausted and just want a comfortable place to shake off the pre-cruise jitters and get some sleep. We will probably take the Sky train from the airport.

Downtown Vancouver is quite compact and therefore many of the hotels tend to be within 6 blocks of the Canada Line stations. I am inclined to suggest that you look at some websites such as Hotels.com, Hotwire and Priceline and try to find several hotels that hold some interest to you. If you have some names it would be much easier for us to come up with some recommendations.

Even the most modest of downtown hotels will be pricier than an equivalent hotel near YVR. If you are planning a 'late arrival & basically straight to bed' scenario I'd stay out at the airport then Skytrain in the next day. If you choose a hotel near Bridgeport station (e.g. Hampton, HI Express, Days Inn or BW Abercorn Inn) you can get picked up in their shuttle then dropped off, or even walk, to Skytrain next morning without having to worry about paying the extra $5pp YVR AddFare for incoming airport passengers.

Even the most modest of downtown hotels will be pricier than an equivalent hotel near YVR. If you are planning a 'late arrival & basically straight to bed' scenario I'd stay out at the airport then Skytrain in the next day. If you choose a hotel near Bridgeport station (e.g. Hampton, HI Express, Days Inn or BW Abercorn Inn) you can get picked up in their shuttle then dropped off, or even walk, to Skytrain next morning without having to worry about paying the extra $5pp YVR AddFare for incoming airport passengers.

You can arrange a shuttle from hotels near the airport to Canada Place for about $15 per person.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

Is it best to pre purchase tickets to get into the Capilano Suspension Park? I would prefer to buy the day of, just in case of bad weather, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that unless you go first thing in the morning the wait times are really long to purchase tickets, we will be getting there sometime around noon.

Is it best to pre purchase tickets to get into the Capilano Suspension Park? I would prefer to buy the day of, just in case of bad weather, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that unless you go first thing in the morning the wait times are really long to purchase tickets, we will be getting there sometime around noon.

No, it is not at all necessary to purchase tickets in advance. In fact if the weather is inclement you may not care to go at all. If there were any lines they wouldn't exceed the number of people that arrive on the shuttle say 40 or 50 people.

No, it is not at all necessary to purchase tickets in advance. In fact if the weather is inclement you may not care to go at all. If there were any lines they wouldn't exceed the number of people that arrive on the shuttle say 40 or 50 people.

Thank you Putterdude, that makes sense!

I will be cruising out of Vancouver in September and currently have a hotel reservation at the Holiday Inn Express Riverport Richmond as it has a 24 hour airport shuttle. I have been debating between flying into Vancouver or Seattle and then Amtrak up. Is the scenery worth doing Amtrak? I will be arriving Vancouver either way two days before my cruise so I have time to sight see there as well.

Quite frankly if you are open to either option then...No, the scenery is not worth it. Flying to Vancouver directly is just so much easier than flying to Seattle, dealing with a transfer to the Amtrak station. The Cascades is a pleasant trip but I have trouble describing it as spectacular.

I will be cruising out of Vancouver in September and currently have a hotel reservation at the Holiday Inn Express Riverport Richmond as it has a 24 hour airport shuttle. I have been debating between flying into Vancouver or Seattle and then Amtrak up. Is the scenery worth doing Amtrak? I will be arriving Vancouver either way two days before my cruise so I have time to sight see there as well.

You might want to change hotels . The one you chose located about 30 minutes from the airport . It is new area of Richmond and located a long way from anything. There is no transit can easily get you to do any sightseeing. Look for hotels that are within 5 miles of the airport or closer.

I don't just agree with K50, I'll go as far as to say that unless you chose this hotel because it's close to family or friends you're going to hang out with don't just think about changing the reservation - go change it right now!

If you're tightly-budgeted, using points and need to stay with the same chain, consider HI Express Vancouver Airport - Richmond which is very convenient for Bridgeport Skytrain station.

Thank you Putterdude, K50 and matincath. I chose the hotel based on it having a 24 hour airport shuttle. A friend who is sailing with me won't be getting in until about 11 pm on the night before the cruise so was trying to find an easy way to get her from point A to point B. I was planning on renting a car for sightseeing but figured I would turn it back in before she got in.

So besides HI Express Vancouver Airport any other suggestions that would fit. The trip from the hotel to the port will either be taxi or who knows what just yet. It is just getting her from the airport to the hotel. She will be dead tired from livestock judging in the AM and then flying from the East coast to Vancouver.

Thank you Putterdude, K50 and matincath. I chose the hotel based on it having a 24 hour airport shuttle. A friend who is sailing with me won't be getting in until about 11 pm on the night before the cruise so was trying to find an easy way to get her from point A to point B. I was planning on renting a car for sightseeing but figured I would turn it back in before she got in.

So besides HI Express Vancouver Airport any other suggestions that would fit. The trip from the hotel to the port will either be taxi or who knows what just yet. It is just getting her from the airport to the hotel. She will be dead tired from livestock judging in the AM and then flying from the East coast to Vancouver.

It's pretty hard to find a decent downtown hotel for much under $200/night. However is you watch the sites like Hotwire and Priceline you can often pick up a 3*+ hotel for at or about $150/night. As long as you stay at that 3*+ level then you will have a good room in a good hotel in a good area. At that time of night you will hardly be 30 minutes from YVR to a downtown hotel by taxi.