Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Our choice was to bring CAD$ with us even though it probably cost us a bit extra getting them through Bank Of America's on-line service. While traveling, I would rather pay cash for smaller purchases and whenever possible I prefer paying in the host country currency.

Right on! It sort of frosts me when American tourists expect Canadians to accept US dollars. Yes they will, but I'm sure the ever-polite Canadians are grumbling inside. I wonder if the same tourists would accept Canadian dollars in their hometown?

FYI, Bank of America has a reciprocal agreement with Scotiabank in Canada. You can use any Scotiabank ATM in Canada or parts of the Caribbean free of fees. They have similar agreements with banks in a number of other countries...it's a bit difficult to find but it's on the B of A website.

Kenish;

Thanks for your thoughts of how may think re Americans expecting that Canadian retailers and services will accept the US dollar. I can't speak for all of Canada but I can say that in Vancouver & Victoria the acceptance of US$ is just part of doing business, there is no bad feelings. In fact the Canadian Post Office and our provincial government liquor stores accept $US. Having said that you are likely going to be nicked a bit on the exchange rate and will 99.5% of the time get your change in $CDN. So to a reader, there is no real reason to get $CDN for just a day or so in Vancouver or Victoria.

I think if there was any bad feelings with Canadians is that our dollar is not accepted in the US once one moves much further than 15 mins south of the border.

Kenish;

Thanks for your thoughts of how may think re Americans expecting that Canadian retailers and services will accept the US dollar. I can't speak for all of Canada but I can say that in Vancouver & Victoria the acceptance of US$ is just part of doing business, there is no bad feelings. In fact the Canadian Post Office and our provincial government liquor stores accept $US. Having said that you are likely going to be nicked a bit on the exchange rate and will 99.5% of the time get your change in $CDN. So to a reader, there is no real reason to get $CDN for just a day or so in Vancouver or Victoria.

I think if there was any bad feelings with Canadians is that our dollar is not accepted in the US once one moves much further than 15 mins south of the border.

I beg to differ somewhat from from PD's opinion. From a small business viewpoint, I do appreciate those who take the effort to use Canadian dollars when in Canada. While US$ are widely accepted as a courtesy and convenience to US visitors, it does add to operating costs and is felt more by the small business.

To reiterate, USD are accepted, but CAD are greatly appreciated.

I beg to differ somewhat from from PD's opinion. From a small business viewpoint, I do appreciate those who take the effort to use Canadian dollars when in Canada. While US$ are widely accepted as a courtesy and convenience to US visitors, it does add to operating costs and is felt more by the small business.

To reiterate, USD are accepted, but CAD are greatly appreciated.

Exactly. And from a tourists point of view, you'll almost always getting a better rate changing money at a bank or getting money from a bank ATM, than the exchange rate you'll get from a merchant.

To put it another way, the US$ in Canada has the same legal standing as small greenish pictures, it's not legal tender. A merchant takes the associated risk when accepting it.

Right on! It sort of frosts me when American tourists expect Canadians to accept US dollars. Yes they will, but I'm sure the ever-polite Canadians are grumbling inside. I wonder if the same tourists would accept Canadian dollars in their hometown?

FYI, Bank of America has a reciprocal agreement with Scotiabank in Canada. You can use any Scotiabank ATM in Canada or parts of the Caribbean free of fees. They have similar agreements with banks in a number of other countries...it's a bit difficult to find but it's on the B of A website.

When traveling to the USA, I always take some some bills/ change from what is usually left over from a previous trip. I find it much easier for small purchases and gratuities etc. an do find the locals appreciate it.

If it's time o replenish, it's absolutely no hassle whatsoever to get money exchanged before my trip.

Edited by aohkay

....I am also staying at the Sheraton Wall Center, North Tower. I had the option (no longer available) to stay at the Westin Bayshore. Do you have an opinion on either hotel?....

We stayed at the Sheraton Wall Center about 3 years ago and the Westin Bayshore just two weeks ago. Both are very nice and treat their guests well but we much prefer the Westin for the spectacular views; we also appreciated not having to walk outdoors between towers and loved the SeaWall Bar and Grill, which had surprisingly good food (dinner) at reasonable prices. The only negative was the ridiculous prices for breakfast, but we solved that problem by walking a block to a White Spot for great breakfasts two days. Had an absolutely beautiful 4 days and are already trying to plan our next visit for longer.

I will be visiting Vancouver for the fist time next year. And, I have a question about how Cab Fares are handled.

Will the cost be for the cab trip no matter how many ride or will the cost be for each passenger?

Knowing the answer to this question has saved me a few times when I was a stranger visiting and I ran up against local practices.

Thanks

Bob

I will be visiting Vancouver for the fist time next year. And, I have a question about how Cab Fares are handled.

Will the cost be for the cab trip no matter how many ride or will the cost be for each passenger?

Knowing the answer to this question has saved me a few times when I was a stranger visiting and I ran up against local practices.

Thanks

Bob

The cost is per cab, not per person. Number of people in the cab is limited by the number of seatbelts (seatbelts are mandatory here).

Vancouver cabs have all been downsized to Prius sized cars that will handle 4 average to small sized persons and luggage. However about 17% of the cab fleet are mini-vans that will handle up to 5 persons with a flip seat in the rear. Plan that a fare from YVR to most hotels in downtown Vancouver will run about $35 per cab and about $10 from hotel to Canada Place.

Depending upon the location of your hotel the Canada Line may be an option.

Just an observation on your discussion of US$ and Canadian$. We just returned from a cruise to Canada/New England. While shopping in a few places in Saint John, NB I asked if they would prefer my credit card or US$. All requested US$ because they come across the border to buy items such as groceries and clothes. It didn't matter to me since my credit card charges no fee and gives a great exchange.

Just an observation on your discussion of US$ and Canadian$. We just returned from a cruise to Canada/New England. While shopping in a few places in Saint John, NB I asked if they would prefer my credit card or US$. All requested US$ because they come across the border to buy items such as groceries and clothes. It didn't matter to me since my credit card charges no fee and gives a great exchange.

I think this would be highly dependent on the type of business and proximity to the border.

For example, it's unlikely a small clothing boutique owner in the Mt Pleasant area of Vancouver would have much need /opportunity to cross-border shop; but a food or convenience shop owner might want to purchase items cheaper in US and have need for US cash.

Edited by ell52

I really don't want to get into a huge debate re the use of Canada funds vs US funds in Canada but the reality of the situation is that in cities and towns close to the border and enjoy the benefits of tourism, the US dollar is widely accepted. Granted it is not legal tender, you will not likely receive the correct exchange rate and will likely get $CDN as change....but it will generally be accepted as a courtesy to visiting Americans, it is just good business.

• 2 weeks later...

Could I have some help please on the best way to get to Victoria ferry from International airport.

2 of us wiil arriving on a Fri afternoon seems we would have a long wait for Pacific coach as flight arrives @2pm.

Do you know the cost and time for taxi to Tsawwassen.

Thanks for all the information have learnt heaps reading all the post.

Debbie

PCL is only showing their winter schedule right now which is indicating a departure at 3:40 pm which would mean that by the time you are off the plane, cleared customs and collected your luggage you will likely have about a 45 minute wait. A cab fare from YVR to the Tsawwassen ferry terminal for two will be about $45 if you are away from YVR before say 3:30....much after that time the traffic starts to build and all bets are off.

Could I have some help please on the best way to get to Victoria ferry from International airport.

2 of us wiil arriving on a Fri afternoon seems we would have a long wait for Pacific coach as flight arrives @2pm.

Do you know the cost and time for taxi to Tsawwassen.

Thanks for all the information have learnt heaps reading all the post.

Debbie

A taxi would be in the $40-50 range; it's longer than you'd expect.

However, by transit it's pretty straightforward

• Skytrain to "Bridgeport" (3 stops)
  • Go down to street level (there are elevators and escalator) and board the "620 Tsawwassen Ferry" bus right there.

In the summer; ferries leave for Victoria every hour; and you can just walk on. There is a luggage drop system (drop at one side, pick up at the other), so you don't have to wheel your bags with you on the ferry.

To get from Swartz Bay into downtown Victoria; you can either grab the Pacific Coach bus (make sure to drop your luggage in the right drop at Tsawwassen). This is only available on the odd hour sailings, and you buy a bus ticket for $15 on the ferry itself.

Alternately you can just walk off the ferry at Swartz Bay and grab the #70 Victoria bus for $2.50. Total time takes a little longer than the Pacific Coach bus, but the #70 is a nice modern double decker which gives you a nice view.

ScottBee - has BC Ferries confirmed that they will be offering hourly sailings on that route for next summer with the current budget woes they are facing.

http://www.bcferries.com/schedules/mainland/tssw-current.php?scheduleSelect=sch062613014.html

given it's been pretty much hourly summer service since the 80s, I wouldn't expect to see much change.

I don't expect to see service cuts on TSW-SWB; given it's the busiest route, and one that provides [via the profit it generates] a good chunk of the of the subsidies into the money losing routes -- which is pretty much every route other than TSW-SWB and HSB-NAN.

According to the BCF discussion papers routes 1 & 2 operate at a surplus of about $29.7 m. The total loses system wide total some $200m . The biggest loser is route 30 the Duke Point - Tsawwassen route which post a loss of almost $30 m and kind of devourers any surplus that the other two main island routes generate. Route 3, the Sunshine Coast route loses some $6.17m which equates to $5.66 per vehicle carried which is the lowest loss per vehicle carried except for except for Langdale, Keats, Gambier route that is operated privately and does not carry any cars...the biggest single loser on a loss/vehicle basis is the route 10, the Port Hardy-Prince Rupert run which loses some $2,365. The point being while routes 1 & 2 do post a surplus the subsidies of some $200m come from the public purse.

Vancouver cabs have all been downsized to Prius sized cars that will handle 4 average to small sized persons and luggage. However about 17% of the cab fleet are mini-vans that will handle up to 5 persons with a flip seat in the rear. Plan that a fare from YVR to most hotels in downtown Vancouver will run about $35 per cab and about $10 from hotel to Canada Place.

Depending upon the location of your hotel the Canada Line may be an option.

Is the taxi fee $ 35 US or Can. currency. Will they accept US cash Going to Comfort INN DOWNTOWN WILL THE FEE BE ABOUT THE SAME ? :)

Is the taxi fee $ 35 US or Can. currency. Will they accept US cash Going to Comfort INN DOWNTOWN WILL THE FEE BE ABOUT THE SAME ? :)

The US$ is worth about C$0.99; and is widely accepted at anywhere from C$0.90 to C$1. The taxi will take US$, but you'll likely get a better exchange rate using a credit card.

They will certainly accept $US and may or may not accept it at par value, it is entirely up to the driver. I would advise checking with your US credit card issuer as to what kind of an exchange rate they charge and foreign transaction fee they levy, often these make the use of a credit card unfeasible.

Good morning! If there are 14 of us arriving on Air Canada, what would be the best way to get to Best Western located at 1755 Davie Street. Arriving on a Sunday. If anyone has time to basically get me off the plane step by step to the hotel I would be thrilled. (Yup, overwhelmed)

I am going to assume that you are coming thru Toronto or Montreal where you will clear Canadian customs. That being the case just follow the crowd into the luggage area where you will collect your luggage. Then it is out the door of the terminal to the curb. The Best Western-Sands is to far from any Canada Line station to make any sense of using it so you will have to split up into 3 or 4 mini-van cabs (depends if they have the flip down seats in the back or not), plan that you fare will be $35 or so per cab. There is also the alternative of taking a 6 & 8 pax limo but your total fares will be about $25 / $30 then taking cabs.

http://www.yvr.ca/en/getting-to-from-yvr/hired-sedans-limousines.aspx