"Sea legs"?

DeBlonde1

Isn't that what they call this continued rocking sensation 2 days after you get off a ship? I don't remember it being this bad before. Must be because our ship had a lot more rocking in the Pacific then I have had in the Carribean. What causes this and how long does it usually last when it's real bad? :eek:

Isn't that what they call this continued rocking sensation 2 days after you get off a ship? I don't remember it being this bad before. Must be because our ship had a lot more rocking in the Pacific then I have had in the Carribean. What causes this and how long does it usually last when it's real bad? :eek:

Its caused by your equilibrium being out of skew. Should be ok after day 2. Best cure is to hurry back and get onboard.

Fred

My family had it when we got off Carnival's Pride in 2004, but not when we got off Carnival's Conquest. I'm guessing because the Pride is a smaller ship. If I recal we all had it for about a week..It's a strange sensation!;)

My dh complained about this after our Valor cruise. I thought he was kidding at first, till I found out there really was such an ailment.(from reading these boards!) It took him about 3 days for the room to "stop spinning" for him. The rest of us (3 others) had no problem, and dh had no problem after our Dec. cruise. I guess it is just hit and miss of who falls victim to it.

My friend's daughter actually had a very servere episode after a 2 hour boat trip to Provincetown from Boston. The seas were extremely rough about 9ft. I don't know what I was thinking when we got on the boat that day. Most people were ill. She had it for about a year. Anyway, no one else in the party sufferred from land motion sickness. I have had mild episodes a few times after cruises but it never lasted longer than a week. It never stops me from booking the next cruise!:D

Have just returned from the same cruise as you, I'm sitting here at my desk with the worse case of sea legs I've had. It was a very rocking trip.

"Sea legs," is when one develops the ability to withstand the motion of the sea and not become sea-sick. MDD that you refer to is a form of sea sickness that continues after the motion stops.

Sea legs = good

MDD= baaaadd

Dan

I also had an episode of being off balance last year after our cruise. It lasted about a week and wasn't all that bad, just strange. I work with an Ear, Nose and Throat surgeon and we frequently see patients with this symptom. The worst was someone who had been suffering for nearly a year after a cruise, which is very uncommon. She was treated successfully with therapy.

I plan to continue motion sickness pills during and after our cruise this year, hopefully with none of the same effects as last year...provided we have no rough seas again.:rolleyes:

It happens to me all the time. Now I just continue my Bonine for 2 or 3 days after we get off the ship and then I am fine.

Yup, that's what I do, too.

It's still, basically, motion sickness, and can make you really nauseated. Continuing the Dramamine (or whatever works on board) for a few days has worked for me.

My dh, mother and I all had it for a day or two - but the weird thing was that we were off the ship Sunday morning, in Ft Lauderdale all day Sunday at the beach, spent the night, flew home to Ohio and didn't feel it until we arrived at home Monday night. My mom called me late that night all worried that her blood pressure medicin was doing strange things to her. Then is last over a day for all of us. Anyone experience a "delayed sea leg syndrome?" :rolleyes: I figure it went with cruise withdrawl....

I miss it!!! Mal de Debarkment!!!

It kept me cruising in my mind!!! I'd sway and feel the motion and I was sitting at the computer or laying in bed or standing waiting for a copy off the machine...

It lasted a week from me... I think. It just faded away and a week after getting off the Ecstasy, I realized it was gone...

I want to cruise again!!! I need to cruise again!!! And it won't be until Sept that I get that feeling again!!

I had this after our first cruise but after day 2 it was gone...this time I am still going through it..we had really rough seas last week on the Sensation and I got very sick and after I got home I had spinning rooms here and there...I thought it went away after about 3 days but it wasn't so it's on going still and today makes 1 week that we are home...so I was telling my mother about it and she said that some people develop vertigo after sailing and she is worried about me because it's been coming and going the last 2 days with headaches and sleepiness so if it doesn't stop by Monday I will be calling the doctor because there is medication for it and I think I might need it!

Its caused by your equilibrium being out of skew. Should be ok after day 2. Best cure is to hurry back and get onboard.

Fred

I agree Fred,

I am a nurse and I recommend a back to back to back to back......:D

Well.... Actually, Sea Legs are what you have when you can't walk well on the ship due to rocking or messed up equilibrium... Or in some cases, too many DOD's......lol.....

Land legs are what your referring too.... I get it also.... It can last up to 10 days or more. The longest for me was 2 weeks...... If it's real bad, ask your Physician about Antivert.... it helps me......:D

Well.... Actually, Sea Legs are what you have when you can't walk well on the ship due to rocking or messed up equilibrium...

I always thought "sea legs" were what you have when you finally get USED to the ship's motion. "Finally got your sea legs, huh?"

From the New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy:

sea legs

To “have one’s sea legs” is to be able to walk calmly and steadily on a tossing ship, or to become accustomed to a new or strange situation: “Even though Kimberly just joined the company, she’s got her sea legs in a hurry.”

http://www.bartleby.com/59/4/sealegs.html

Archived