When to Italy?

rwhcpa

We've been twice: both in the fall and the weather was great both times.

The first time, we went in late Sept/early Oct and temps were in the 70s.

Second time was in early to mid-November and the temps were a bit cooler, but still very comfortable, except for Venice, where it was downright cold! But even when it was cold, Venice was great!

Hope this helps!

I've never cruised in Europe, but I've been to Italy several times and October was by far my favorite month. The weather was perfect (sunny, mid-70's in Rome), the crowds were not bad at all, and everything was open and operating.

The worst month, in my opinion, is June. Throngs of tourists, hotter weather, lots of school groups and a more frantic pace.

Also, a lot of Europeans take their holiday the month of August so a lot of places will be shut down.

My husband and I did a land trip to Italy the last two weeks of May and first two weeks of June in '98, and it was hotter than blazes in Naples & Rome. It was close to 90 degrees and the humidity made it seem like 100. While the temps in Italy are close to Southern California, we really did notice the difference in humidity. We were actually buying bottles of water to drink, and bottles of water to dump on our heads.

A side note, my girlfriend and I did Hungary in May '05 and it actually topped the thermometer at 103 in Budapest. It was a miserable 5 days (half our vacation) before rain moved in and cooled it off.

So not taking any chances for this Med cruise, we decided on October. We decided to take our chances on rain versus the heat. I'd rather have it on the cool side and a need a coat, than the heat waves as it doesn't matter if you take everything off, you're still going to be HOT!!!

Have a great trip no matter when you decide to go!

Archived