will the economic situation affect your travel?

leeuwarden

Cruise vacations offer such good value, that perhaps the industry will fare well through the recession. People might choose to cruise instead of expensive vacations. We have indefinately postponed several trips and have replaced them with mini cruises, so that we at least get a vacation.

Don't give up on Europe because of the $$$. There's a lot of B&B owners who are suffering because of the drop off of American Tourists. Some are offering really good discounts and some are charging in US $.

I am quite convinced some parts of Europe can be done cheaply (depending on the destination of course) if you can address the hotel / food issue. I was in Hanover, Germany last year right during the annual world fair (some exhibition that books all hotels for 50 miles) and had to stay in the middle of nowhere in a B&B. No phone in the room, good breakfast, 50 Euro a night in a historic town (Goslar) with a castle right across the street. Reality sank in when we stayed in Munich for 150 Euro a night... Our normal rates are in the 120 Euro a night range, which was not bad when Euro = Dollar, but not now...

But then, the only worthwhile things in Hanover are, umm, the shopping district and a tour of the Volkswagen plant in Wolfsburg, about 1/2 to 1 hour away :)

Driving is also not an issue, with a decent rental car. Distances are smaller, so expensive gas (or diesel) is not a problem.

Food is quite pricey, but you can improvise (nothing beats having a COSTCO for keeping costs low :D :D)

But, in the grand scheme of things, I've done enough business travel in Europe to NOT want to deal with it with my family. We're looking for a Med/Greek Islands 2009... Having spent time in Greece, the islands can get quite expensive if you DIY...

As a Realtor in the Phoenix area which now is #4 in the country with foreclosures, you bet the economy is putting the halt on my cruise plans. DH and I had planned a European cruise for our 25th anniversary this summer that we have now put on hold. The dollar stinks and we just can't justify spending the money that way. We have decided to go to Hawaii for a week instead. Which will still be very nice, but sure do wish I was still doing the Med!

The economy in the U.S. is a problem if you're someone who has bought a home that cost more than you could really afford, got a ARM, and/or the mortgage company shouldn't have approved you in the first place. Also for those who have used credit cards and home equity lines of credit to live beyond their means.

These financial mistakes have now backfired on lots of folks. But for those of us who live within (or below) our means and save money, it's a minor inconvenience. Gas prices take a bigger bite now, but that certainly won't keep me from cruising. I pay cash for my vacations from money I've saved all year. No using credit cards. But those who are now strapped from fiscal mismanagement probably won't be taking vacations. :(

The economy in the U.S. is a problem if you're someone who has bought a home that cost more than you could really afford, got a ARM, and/or the mortgage company shouldn't have approved you in the first place. Also for those who have used credit cards and home equity lines of credit to live beyond their means.

These financial mistakes have now backfired on lots of folks. But for those of us who live within (or below) our means and save money, it's a minor inconvenience. Gas prices take a bigger bite now, but that certainly won't keep me from cruising. I pay cash for my vacations from money I've saved all year. No using credit cards. But those who are now strapped from fiscal mismanagement probably won't be taking vacations. :(

And what about Bear Stearns employees and shareholders? or the 30,000 Delta employees that got buy out offers today? Buying a home not within your reach is not the only thing responsible for the mess of the US market and it's not fair for you to lay the blame there.

I'm glad we took our Med cruise when we did...we won't be visiting Europe again for a while (which makes me sad). We always do land trips in Europe but, in my opinion, it just doesn't make good financial sense right now. But...when the time is right we'll be spending a big chunk of time exploring Italy...the cruise just wet my whistle for that fabulous country!

We'll be sticking closer to home this year...a week in Mexico, a week in CA, a short cruise to Cozumel, and then a 10 day cruise to the Caribbean next Spring. Beyond that, who knows? We'll have to see what changes the election brings (if any).

A great way to cut costs in Italy is staying in convents! There are hundreds of them that now serve as B&B's. They are often dirt cheap and always clean and safe. Might not be too fancy and most have curfews, but they're also a great cultural experience. You don't have to be Catholic or participate in anything there. And many serve cheap good meals. You can also save money on food by eating in "mom & pop" local restaurants. Bus and train travel is cheaper than car rentals unless you have more than 2 people. And there's cheap airfare if you use Ryanair or other European lines to go from city to city. Read Rick Steves guidebooks for more ideas.

Hmmm what about all the people losing their jobs because of the housing industry slow down? Or the lay offs in the car industry? Did you know the Credit Card debit in America is an all time high? Many times its just to pay for food. What about people in places like Florida where the taxes and insurance went through the roof? My mortgage went up in two years 45%, yeah my wife are DINKS and could afford it but I know many that couldn't and our losing their homes.

There is a lot of other variables then just buying a home that one could not afford and getting stuck we a adjustable mortgage.

And what about Bear Stearns employees and shareholders? or the 30,000 Delta employees that got buy out offers today? Buying a home not within your reach is not the only thing responsible for the mess of the US market and it's not fair for you to lay the blame there.

How did you ever get the idea that I "laid the blame" for the economic problems in the U.S. on people who bought homes out of their reach??? I never said anything about what has caused our economic problems. You must have misread what I said.

I said that the economy will be a problem for those who have gotten into a financial corner by some of their own decisions. I didn't address people who have had unfortunate things happen to them that weren't their fault. And it's true - those who've been financially conservative will have a cushion against difficult times but those who've lived beyond their means will stuggle when time get tough. And they won't be taking vacations. That's what I said in the previous post. :)

How did you ever get the idea that I "laid the blame" for the economic problems in the U.S. on people who bought homes out of their reach??? I never said anything about what has caused our economic problems. You must have misread what I said.

I said that the economy will be a problem for those who have gotten into a financial corner by some of their own decisions. I didn't address people who have had unfortunate things happen to them that weren't their fault. And it's true - those who've been financially conservative will have a cushion against difficult times but those who've lived beyond their means will stuggle when time get tough. And they won't be taking vacations. That's what I said in the previous post. :)

Let's go back and look at exactly what you said.....

"The economy in the U.S. is a problem if you're someone who has bought a home that cost more than you could really afford, got a ARM, and/or the mortgage company shouldn't have approved you in the first place. Also for those who have used credit cards and home equity lines of credit to live beyond their means.

These financial mistakes have now backfired on lots of folks. But for those of us who live within (or below) our means and save money, it's a minor inconvenience"

Losing your job after 25 years, losing your life savings, your retirement income is a hell of a lot more than a "minor inconvenience". Did you know that 30% of Bear Stearns was owned by employees? They didn't go out and buy houses that they couldn't afford, they saw their stock price drop and they were helpless. Your post was extremely cavalier.

I'll only post one more reply to Cruise Junky because you seem to be escalating. That's not appropriate for these boards. Here is the one sentence that I wrote that you forgot to read and it pertains to the issues you keep bringing up over and over:

"I didn't address people who have had unfortunate things happen to them that weren't their fault."

So, end of conversation. :rolleyes:

This is an interesting thread with several differant ways at looking at things. Let me first say I can't think of anything more fun than being on a ship with a bunch of Canadians.

We have a Tahitian Princess cruise the end of April (we also got to go on Windstar last January and Celebrity last November) My way of thinking at the time of booking all these was that the prices are all going to go up and we're not getting any younger.

We are not booking another one until we see what happens. We like to do a precruise for several days (especially when we go all the way to Florida) but have found that places we stayed at the last couple times have gone WAY up. (example: Largo Lodge 4 years ago $125, 1 year ago $145, now it is $185 per night plus tax which puts it over $200 a night. Airfare has gone up, service and comfort down, food is going way up. The truckers are going to have to pass the fuel cost to us. Flour etc (as someone else stated) has gone way up. We are stocking up on food, driving less, dropped netflix and cutting back however we can and are going to start looking at real estate. We have no debt.

I agree with someone else who said that not making any money on our money (stocks, cds, etc) is hurting a lot of people who used the interest to enjoy vacations and other luxuries.

Hopefully, I won't have to give up drinking my favorite vodka. I've given up the haircuts and pedicures but I'm not switching to Platinum, no way! Wishing you all well.

Smiles,

Nancy

Hopefully, I won't have to give up drinking my favorite vodka. I've given up the haircuts and pedicures but I'm not switching to Platinum, no way!

Smiles,

Nancy

What better way to stock up on your favorite vodka than on a Caribbean cruise!!

No the current economy will not afftect our plans unless things get a whole lot worse in a hurry. We are retired and have built a portfollio to withstand these bumps a long the way (we hope). However I can't help bit feell that the news of the past month or 2 has to be affecting a lot of people for different reasons and it simply has to impact the vacation and cruise business. We have seen some price cutting on cruise fares this month and I am anticapting seeing more and deeper discounts in the months ahead. However these discounts will just make cruising more appealing for those of us who are not impacted by this downturn.

I had to laugh about the beanie wienies for dinner.

I am the MOST frugal person at everything but travel. I group errands so I don't waste gas. I make an allotted budget for food and every other expense each month. I can't tell you the last time I ate out (however I really prefer eating at home), and I would love to get a new tennis raquet, but nope... extra money goes for travel. ha ha It is all about priorities for me, and travel is the highest. ..oh and the darn pet sitter. That sucks the cash when I travel.

At least for Americans, IMHO cruising is becoming even more affordable if you're planning a foreign vacation (aside from airfare which you would have to pay if you did a land vacation.) You pay in $ and you get a great vacation without having to spend another dime unless you want to. Tipping is really your only added expense once your cruise is paid for. You're not paying exhorbitant rates for hotels, rental cars, breakfast/lunch/dinner, and entertainment. What more could you ask for?

I've been booking my own business travel for years and on average there are more flights available now to any given destination than there were 5-10 years ago. How else do you explain all the departure and arrival delays at most major airports?

Two words.

Regional Jets.

Ten years ago flying in an RJ was a novelty, and us frequent business travelers had nasty names for places like CVG terminal D (Comair) and the such. An RJ would take you from IND to CVG and that was it.

Fast forward ten years and a TON of flights are done by RJ. I've RJ'd IND to Washington, DC, or Houston, which is border class idiotic as it's a 3 hour flight.

Airlines love RJ's because they are flown by pilots making a third the usual salary and need less crew. Problem is, two or three RJ's equals a BIG jet, so there are more flights, but more delays too (air traffic control)

http://jetlagged.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/12/07/traffic-jam-in-the-sky/

Great question and interesting responses.

My answer would be the we would always look to find a way to cruise once during the year. For us, retirement is probably a couple of years away and as such we still have our incomes that provide discretionary travel.

During our retirement years I would still expect that we would arrange our expenses to allow cruise travel. The joy of being on the ship, visiting new and different lands, even the anticipation of a cruise is enough motivation to make the cruise happen.

The cost of cruise travel (in this hemisphere) hasn't really gone up that much and with the competitiveness of the industry I still see this form of vacation experience to be as economical as any other form with all things considered.

If flexibility of schedule and venue is on your side, there is always the consideration of searching out the last minute deals, which usually have a very reduced rate to fill the berth.

my husband & i are travel agents ...... we have booked more cruises this year b/c it is such an easy vacation to budget - you know all your food will be included and you can budget easily for excursions too based on your financial situation, or just hang out at the beach ....... i think cruising is really the way to go right now!!

I agree. We have booked more cruises this year than in the last two years. And I think it is exactly as you say - the food is included. We are booking more European cruises as well and a lot of it is because meals are included and the ships are much less expensive than booking hotel rooms in each city.

Two words.

Regional Jets.

Very good point - albeit, the airlines wouldn't have deployed these if they didn't feel they could regularly load them up - and they can: I fly them regularly between various NYC area airports to a number of hubs (O'Hare, Atlanta, etc.) . And they are always full.

Always.

Again, the overall # of seats available is up as are load factors. Which all adds up to economic burps not impacting the aggregate demand for air travel. In fact, it's been over seven years since we had a decline in demand -- and it took a major terrorist attack to produce it.

Very good point - albeit, the airlines wouldn't have deployed these if they didn't feel they could regularly load them up - and they can: I fly them regularly between various NYC area airports to a number of hubs (O'Hare, Atlanta, etc.) . And they are always full.

Always.

Again, the overall # of seats available is up as are load factors. Which all adds up to economic burps not impacting the aggregate demand for air travel. In fact, it's been over seven years since we had a decline in demand -- and it took a major terrorist attack to produce it.

You know, I don't doubt you, but my direct flight options are certainly drying up to some destinations. Flying Vancouver to Vegas I used to have four options of direct flights, US Air, Alaska, AC & Westjet..although WestJet doesn't fly everyday. Last Year US Air ceased it's direct flights, I now have to go through Phoenix, this year Alaska ceased it's direct flights and I have to go through Portland or Seattle. The AC flight leaves Vegas at 7:00 am to come home...not what I'm in the mood for in Vegas ;). Those flights were always running full. Last month I had my nice flight to San Juan completely buggered to the point that I cancelled. Was supposed to be Van - Chicago - San Juan. United cancelled the Chicago to San Juan part and changed my flight from Vancouver - Chicago - Washington DC - San Juan.

Not at this time, as we are extremely thrifty in our daily lives

and especially when we travel...

If you are interested I've listed many of Europes versions of Dollar Stores on

my website..the countries they are in and links to exact cities! There are quite a few!

The stores are great places to pick up bottled water, snacks and

unexpected souvenirs...

For example in Copenhagen I picked up a book with a wonderful collection of Hans Christian Anderson

stories in English for only 10 Kroner and the location is right by the Radhus!

http://when.do.we.leave.googlepages.com/journal

It's in the money section!

Archived