will the economic situation affect your travel?

leeuwarden

I was thinking the same thing myself, however, in the scheme of things how much more money is it? I figure just try and save in other areas to make up for the increase (sneak more booze on!). But everyone's situation is different. If you are already strapped for cash and its going to put stress on you worrying about the cost, you wonder if it is better to find something cheaper to do.

we are thinking about not going in december, we usually take a cruise then, with all the surcharges will your trip be as good as before? Or will we see lower prices on cruises?

I'm sure this will impact certain travelers, i.e., if you're traveling with

a family of 4 to 6, but for DH and myself we're not going to let a $10 per day

surcharge thwart our plans. Now, if the surcharge became a lot more,

say, $150 per person, then that might be a different story.

With three out of four Americans believing that a recession is at hand (per a USA Today poll), the cruise industry is bound to take a heavy hit in future bookings. I think many people will wait a bit to see how the economy fares before putting their committment on paper. This, of course, will benefit the cruisers waiting for lower prices befoe booking, like me.

We have two Cruises booked for later this year.

British Isles in July.

Australia in December.

Will we change or plans? No.

One Cruise MAY have the Fuel Surcharge recinded, since we booked prior to the Fuel Surcharge adder. That's if Princess follows through with other Cruise Lines.

Our International Air is booked.

The Australia price has increased considerably since we booked the Flights. So, we are ahead on that trip.

we are thinking about not going in december, we usually take a cruise then, with all the surcharges will your trip be as good as before? Or will we see lower prices on cruises?

If anything, I think cruies prices are going to have to go up, possibly a lot. Not only have fuel costs skyrocketed, but food costs are also skyrocketing. Staples like Flour, Corn, Milk and Eggs are all seeing very high inflation pressues. This is going to make it much more expensive to feed 2,000-3,000 people per ship.

The cruise lines will of course get more inventive with how they prep food to reduce waste, but there is only going to be so much they can do without ruining the cruise experience. The cruise lines don't run a charity and if it costs that much more to feed people, you can be sure that fares will have to go up.

We don't look at just the cruise price but all the expenses. You have air fare is going higher for Europe, and anything on shore in Europe right now is high with the declining dollar. It used to be you could always use dollars where you went, but now I read that in some countries vendors are wanting their own currencies or Euros but not dollars. We will compare our So. America trip next month to what it was 2 years ago.

We don't look at just the cruise price but all the expenses. You have air fare is going higher for Europe, and anything on shore in Europe right now is high with the declining dollar. It used to be you could always use dollars where you went, but now I read that in some countries vendors are wanting their own currencies or Euros but not dollars. We will compare our So. America trip next month to what it was 2 years ago.

To be fair in Europe they always wanted their own currency (euro or other), but of course dollar had much more value.

For once, cruising is more affordable for us Canadians. During my first cruise ten years ago, our dollar was worth 50 cents and today it is at par. If the U.S. economy goes under, eventually ours will too. I live for my yearly cruise and I will find ways to cut other things, i.e. less eating out, theatre, etc, but will not give up my cruising holiday. It is the only way I can totally relax.

We in Canada have been paying a premium for years. Now that our $ is at par, we are actually paying what Americans pay. Was it worth it before? -yes for us. Is it worth it now for Americans - Yes. A dollar is a dollar, just depends where you want to spend it. You have to decide what your Holiday is worth. You can never replace a cruise with a stay at home vacation!! The biggest concern right now, as I see it, is what additional charges are coming ex. fuel?? I know there is a fuel surcharge now, but will it increase ??

To be fair in Europe they always wanted their own currency (euro or other), but of course dollar had much more value.

Well, my experince has been a little bit different we took our children on land trips to Europe in 2001,2004,2006.....the EU street vendors preferred our dollars in 2001(pre Euro) 2004 either was fine, 2006...Euro only.

In Russia St. Pete's and Moscow in summer of 2007 .....US dollar still was #1. Israel and Turkey as well in the fall of 2007.

In Russia St. Pete's and Moscow in summer of 2007 .....US dollar still was #1. Israel and Turkey as well in the fall of 2007.
They'll take anything over their own currency in any way they can get it. :) If you have Euros left over from a previous trip, they will have held their value whereas your $ won't have gone as far. That's why I never worry about getting too much in Euros because I can always use them elsewhere and they will hold their value.

Archived